Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harry Potter

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Hoochiemama

i wonder whos gonna die in the next book!!!

i love the way she will make a small reference to something in one book and a few books later it becomes a major storyline. it shows how well planned she had these books before she even started!!

so i have a theory, and im probably going to get alot of abuse about this. i have a small (small!!) feeling that Dumbledore is not the good guy we think he is. Here's a quote from book 4 just after Harry comes back from the graveyard:

"He said my blood would make him stronger then if he'd used someone else's," Harry told Dumbledore. "He said the protection my -- mother left in me -- he'd have it too. And he was right -- he could touch me without hurting himself, he touched my face."

For a fleeting instant, Harry thought he saw a gleam of something like triumph in Dumbledore's eyes. But next second, Harry was sure he had imagined it, for when Dumbledore had returned to his seat behind the desk, he looked as old and weary as Harry had ever seen him."

Bring on the abuse!! :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LoneGunM@n

Sleepy wrote:
    Love em. Don't give a damn that they're meant for kids. They're escapism at it's finest.

I totally agree!

My personal favourite was Prisoner of Azkabhan, so much darker than the first 2 ... I realise that the Order of the Phoenix was darker again, but I just felt Harry was obnoxious in the OotP rather than deeply troubled in PoA.

June can't come quick enough now ... if the OotP is anything to go by, I'll be doing a 18 hour stint reading again!!

Anyone who read the OotP in a day, were you left feeling empty because you'd finished it so quickly?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

LoneGunM@n wrote:
    Anyone who read the OotP in a day, were you left feeling empty because you'd finished it so quickly?
    YES!! But I thought that it was just me!!
    I think I actually read it so fast I couldn't enjoy it properly (my logic being - I'm one of the first people in Ireland to buy it, so I could be one of the first people in Ireland to read it!) I enjoyed it a LOT more the second time I read it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 yowsaa

OH BUT THEY DO! the pics of harrys parents do move i cnt remember it being said in the book but at the beginning of the last film harry is looking at a pic of his parents and i do believe it was moving!
    im not so sure about the whole evil dumbledore, i think that crazy part will b explained in the next book it was definitly odd to say the least!

and who is this person who is editing wat i say! i think all H.P fans know wat happened in the last book if nt they arent really fans are they?

LoLth: This person is the moderator of this forum. The person who, when people give away plot points of books that other boards users may not have read yet but are intending to read, get reports and complaints so he edits the offending posts to put in the spoiler tags that posters constantly forget to include.

spoiler tags are put in by [ spoiler ] the text that may give things away [ / spoiler ]

there are no spaces inside the [] sections.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭*Page*

yes they(harrys parents) move but they do not speak as the rest of the photos and pictures do.
    the other photo's seem to have a life of there own(even of people who are dead) they can speak and give there opinions. i know not all of them talk(news papper cuttings)(wanted posters ect) but alot of them do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭*Angel*

so i have a theory, and im probably going to get alot of abuse about this. i have a small (small!!) feeling that Dumbledore is not the good guy we think he is. Here's a quote from book 4 just after Harry comes back from the graveyard:

"He said my blood would make him stronger then if he'd used someone else's," Harry told Dumbledore. "He said the protection my -- mother left in me -- he'd have it too. And he was right -- he could touch me without hurting himself, he touched my face."

For a fleeting instant, Harry thought he saw a gleam of something like triumph in Dumbledore's eyes. But next second, Harry was sure he had imagined it, for when Dumbledore had returned to his seat behind the desk, he looked as old and weary as Harry had ever seen him."

Maybe Dumbledore was just glad that Harry has some defence against Voldemort.....

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Cathy

Does anyone have any theories about who the half-blood prince is?

I think Hagrid... :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

*Angel* wrote:
    Maybe Dumbledore was just glad that Harry has some defence against Voldemort.....

They way its phrased/written implies that Dumbledore was happy that Voldermort had beaten the protection on Harry as oppsed to Harry beating Voldermort.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

Perhaps now that voldemort has some of that "love magic" in him, it will make him vulnerable in a certain way?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

*Page* wrote:
    just a question that has been bothering me..

you know the way the pictures can talk, walk and express themselves? why is it that none of the picture/photos of harrys parents do?
    It seems to be fairly (reasonably?) consistent that photographs (including those in the newspaper) can move and wave and take a walk and so on but can't speak. Paintings, portraits in particular, can speak.

• Advertisement

Perhaps now that voldemort has some of that "love magic" in him, it will make him vulnerable in a certain way?

Yeah that sounds like a def posability, will have to wait and see though... :)

Half blood prince......I hopes its not Hagrid. Never cared much for him. Im kinda with draco any time he says someting about him.

But he seems the most likely. All she said is that its not voldemort and harry, right? Could be anyone (except a female). And surely she wont just bring in a new character, cos it would be too obvious. Hmmmm.....

Oh, and she also mentioned that the first chapter of this book has been on her mind for 13 years. Could be her first idea for potter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Velvet Vocals

Bring on the abuse!! :D:D

Could be that Dumbledore was just impressed that Voldemort had worked out how to use that dark old magic to his advantage, he does often refer to Tom Riddle as being the most brillient student that hogwarts had ever seen.

As far as the half blood prince thing goes, I have a feeling that it might be Nevil Longbottom. If it's not Harry or Voldemort and she's not going to introduce a new character then it could very well be him, didn't they both have the possiblity of being the "boy that lived"
    Could be Draco Malfoy too, wouldn't that be horrible for him to find out he was half blood and not pure... how sicking
    I suppose it could be Hagrid, we know he is a half blood, but wasn't his dad something very ordinary, his mother could have been a queen of the giants or something....
    All I know is I just can't wait for the next book....

Half blood prince......I hopes its not Hagrid. Never cared much for him. Im kinda with draco any time he says someting about him.

HOW CAN YOU NOT CARE FOR HAGRID? he's so kind and has had such a tragic life. He loves Harry and would do anything for him, surely that counts for something?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,945 ✭✭✭BEAT

first of all why is everyone saying the book comesout on june 16th?
    does it come out a month earlier in the Uk and IE?
    in the states it is released on July 16th.

I am a huge HP fan, read all of the books twice so far, am going to read them all again before I buy the newest book which I pre-ordered already :)

My fave book was book 3 until i read the 4th book a second time, now my fave book is book 4 and then book three ... I loved book 5 until my fave character was killed off....I was upset for quite some time after that.
    I almost vowed never to read books by JK again, but I decided to give her a chance to redeem herself and read book 6.

I usually read them in 2 days, the thicker ones that is, read book one and 2 in a day , just cant put them down!

HOW CAN YOU NOT CARE FOR HAGRID? he's so kind and has had such a tragic life. He loves Harry and would do anything for him, surely that counts for something?

Yeah, he's kind of predictable, and I think the gentle oaf character gets on my nerves. He's fits the story and all, but personnally, I dont like him.

Just my opinion, thats all.

BEAT wrote:
    I usually read them in 2 days, the thicker ones that is, read book one and 2 in a day , just cant put them down!

Ok, don't take this the wrong way, but why do people (not just you) go on about how long it takes them to read books? Is this something that impresses others? I mean, who has time to spend an entire day or in your case two whole days reading a book?
    I understand that Harry Potter books do have an unputdownable quality about them, but seriously, one day? Come on!!
    I would never have the time to spend an a whole day reading, I can feel like I don't want to stop reading because I'm enjoying a book so much but I do also like the anticipation.

Yeah, he's kind of predictable, and I think the gentle oaf character gets on my nerves. He's fits the story and all, but personnally, I dont like him.

Just my opinion, thats all.

I know what you mean about the predictability, but I can't help just loving Hargid! He's such a softie! :o

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

I agree that Neville could well be the Half-Blood Prince, but weren't both of his parents pure bloods? If not, then he sure seems like the perfect candidate.
    I don't think it will be Malfoy.

To change the topic slightly, does anyone else think it's a bit strange how we never hear anything about James Potter's family? We know a bit about Lily's but we don't know anything about James, whether he has siblings or what his parents are like. I think there's a reason for this. Could it be possible that Harry is actually descended from Voldemort on his father's side? Maybe that's why Voldemort has such an interest in him.

• Advertisement

That would make sense, Sirus and James being frinds and Sirus coming from such a dark family.

its probably somone who was mentioned.. it could be anyone but i'm thinking it could be one of those guys out of the da... maybe the michael lad the one ron dislikes...

Fishie wrote:
    I agree that Neville could well be the Half-Blood Prince, but weren't both of his parents pure bloods? If not, then he sure seems like the perfect candidate.

Yea, I did think that about his parents, but then if you think about his grandmother and the way she is always on at him to live up to the family name, I know that it's that she is so proud of her son and his wife and how they were part of the first order of the phoenix and that, but it could also be that they have royal blood.... I'm grasping at straws though....
    Fishie wrote:
    To change the topic slightly, does anyone else think it's a bit strange how we never hear anything about James Potter's family? We know a bit about Lily's but we don't know anything about James, whether he has siblings or what his parents are like. I think there's a reason for this. Could it be possible that Harry is actually descended from Voldemort on his father's side? Maybe that's why Voldemort has such an interest in him.

This is a very interesting idea, we haven't every heard anything about James' family, it could very well be that it is traced back to some royal blood, possibly dark royal blood. But I don't think it'll be any relation to voldemort, lets not forget that voldemorts farther was a muggle, his parents were from a rich family but not royalty.
    But if we go on this line of thought we are assuming that the half blood prince is Harry are we not, and did she say that it wasn't Harry or Voldemort....

Fishie wrote:
    I don't think it will be Malfoy.

voldemort's interest was already covered in the last book!! the prediction!

*Page* wrote:
    its probably somone who was mentioned.. it could be anyone but i'm thinking it could be one of those guys out of the da... maybe the michael lad the one ron dislikes...
    Who? Michael??

and a prince could just be a term not an actual line from royality

Who? Michael??

maybe i've the name wrong.. but the one who went out with ginny?ron's little sister

*Page* wrote:
    voldemort's interest was already covered in the last book!! the prediction!
    By that logic he'd be more interested in the prediction then Harry, Harry's part of the prediction had come true, Voldemort knew that part, it was rest of it that he didn't know. I mean one day your all powerfull, and can defeat anyone and the next day your deadish... and a baby has scar.... you'd be pissed off! He has always been intested in him regarless of the prediction.

*Page* wrote:
    maybe i've the name wrong.. but the one who went out with ginny?ron's little sister
    Yea, I know who you're talking about now, can't think of the name either but I don't think it'll be someone like that. For starters, Ron doesn't like anyone that Ginny goes out with, sure after it was all off with that guy wasn't she going with someone else and Ron wasn't happy. Just a big brother thing.

I don't buy the prince just being a term either, When put with Half Blood, it has to mean something

• Advertisement

well the prediction came about before harry was born and when voldemort found out he went after the baby(he had only heard part of it) to kill the baby so the pridiction wouldn't come true so far thats what he has been trying to do.. kill harry before harry kills him

Advertisement