Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harry Potter

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭*Angel*

Marts wrote:
    whats the difference between the normal HP books and the adult ones?

It's just smaller print, and a different cover, why? what did you think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

dunno, I was just curious

I have to say, if there was one part in reading the books that made me feel like a right jackass for enjoying the books was in OOTP when she uses the word 'poo'. I actually felt retarded for reading something so childish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭*Angel*

Huh it does seem kinda childish, I feel like I'm outgrowing them anyway I was 12 when I read the first one and now I'm not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Velvet Vocals

Well I'm 26 and I love them. I don't feel childish at all. If you enjoy something it shouldn't matter!! It's also kinda nice to have a bit of innocence in our lives every now and then!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

Marts wrote:
    dunno, I was just curious

I have to say, if there was one part in reading the books that made me feel like a right jackass for enjoying the books was in OOTP when she uses the word 'poo'. I actually felt retarded for reading something so childish.

Ironically, I found a word I had to look up in the dictionary. I felt quite the fool. (the word was paroxysm)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LoneGunM@n

I'm reading them again before the release of the HBP ... I'm 28 & can't wait for the release!!

It has been said of Harry Potter that it is the mirror of Lord of the Rings ... Parents introduced their children to the Lord of the Rings whereas it is the reverse for Harry Potter!

Well it was my Mum that introduced me to them... I was in my twenties and she was in her forties... they seem to have no age barrier :)

Has anyone else heard the rumors about the person that is supposed to die in the HBP? If it is who they say it is... then I'm not sure I could read it.... well of course I can... but it'll be terrible!!!! She couldn't... could she? Kill him/her/it off I'm mean.......

:(

not anymore :) . LoLth
    :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

I pre-ordered from amazon.... But I don't think that makes me abnormal....does it? :confused:
    Haha, no it doesn't - I didn't mean to make it come out that way!

I've a confession to make, I accidentally skipped the queue for the HP book last time, I honestly didn't mean to do it. I'd been out with two friends that night but we decided to leave early, we were just walking through my friend's hometown to go back to her house when we passed the bookshop. The queue was unbelieveable, it was more like a massive crowd stretching all the way down the road and around the corner. We stopped to gape at them, wondering why people would bring their kids to stand outside a bookshop for hours in the dark, and my friend saw a family she knew. She started talking to them, but before we knew what was happening, it was midnight and the doors opened. We got swept in with the crowd (on the third group that got in - they let people into the shop in groups of about fifteen-twenty) and I ended up buying the book, even though I hadn't planned to originally. Some of the people outside had been queueing for hours, and I felt really bad about it. My friend's little sister (who was about 14 at the time) had queued for nearly three hours but they ran out of books before she got to the top, she was well pissed off when she found out we'd skipped the entire queue. Oops.

I wish JK Rowling wouldn't tell people "A major character is going to be killed" - she did that for the last two books and it really annoyed me reading OOTP because I spent half the time expecting someone to die. And it wasn't much a surprise when it actually did happen. I'd prefer the surprise, thank you very much

• Advertisement

Totally! I know what you mean, I'd much rather go in to it blind and have the surprise!
    This is a little off the subject but don't you think that people are moving away from surprises.... I mean everything is told before it happens, movies, soaps, books... and most importantly MY BIRTHDAY PRESENTS! Both my boyfriend and my Mum have told me what I'm getting for my birthday (it's Thursday 30th of June by the way) even though I begged them not to :rolleyes:

Anyway, back to that queue skipping story.... that's pretty terrible :) but you didn't really intend it to happen. Did you? Deep down inside to you think.... "sweet I'm going to get the book early"
    (I wont think any less of you if you did, I promise) ;)

No, in fact I couldn't really afford the book because I didn't have a job at that point - I was just going to borrow it off someone when they were done with it. I had to borrow a tenner to buy the thing, but I just felt so guilty I had to buy it like
    Yes, there aren't many surprises these days at all. I hate knowing what I'm going to get for my birthday! but I haven't got a nice big surprise in ages and ages, it sucks growing up... and I hate the way so much of the storylines of movies seem to be put in the trailers these days, and the spoilers you get for TV series in magazines, it's just awful!

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭*marie*

Back to the predictions for the prince, I've a funny feeling about Seamus Finnigan. He's a minor character but in some ways not-so-minor as others if you know what I mean. He is half-blood, he told Harry in the first book and said that his dad got a shock when he found out his ma was a witch. Also remember at the start of OOTP when his mother was suspiscious of Harry and didn't want Seamus back at Hogwarts etc. Anybody got any opinions? It's just an idea.

Also I think it could actually be Dudley-Petunia could be a squib and that's why she's so bitter towards Lilly, cos she's jealous.

If its supposed to be someone we met in book2, then remember the really annoying lad who kept following Harry with the camera, can't think of his name. I think he was the only new character in COS....

*marie* wrote:
    If its supposed to be someone we met in book2, then remember the really annoying lad who kept following Harry with the camera, can't think of his name. I think he was the only new character in COS....
    Colin Creevey? I think he has a brother as well, called Dennis or something
    Seamus Finnegan seems a likely one actually, yeah

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭*marie*

Yeah, that's him, he was really annoying wasn't he? Could be important in HBP though...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

It's hardly Tom Riddle or Dumblydore no? I just guessed it was those two, but I haven't been reading up on everyone's predictions at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 950 ✭✭✭EamonnKeane

Also I think it could actually be Dudley-Petunia could be a squib and that's why she's so bitter towards Lilly, cos she's jealous.
    JK Rowling already said Petunia wasn't a Squib. As for the others, Rowling already said the Prince wasn't Harry, Voldemort, Tom Riddle or Hagrid. And the Creeveys aren't half-bloods.

I reckon the Prince could be Seamus Finnegan or Theodore Nott. And Arthur Weasley will die. And Ginny will be made a Prefect, and Harry will be Quidditch captain.

Who is Theodore Nott? I don't remember him

Thats a good question....:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭herobear

a stringy slytherin guy, his dad's a death-eater.....

• Advertisement

Of course, theres the possibilty that we have been misled with regards to a pure blood's heritage.

Unless she has ruled this out. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 950 ✭✭✭EamonnKeane

Actually I doubt it'd be either Seamus Finnegan or Nott. Seamus Finnegan's been an "extra" for so long, with about 3 lines a book, so I don't think he'd suddenly be thrust centre stage. Nott's dad's a Death Eater, so it's very unlikely he'd marry a Muggle.

I've had my suspicions about Seamus Finnegan for a while now, but then we were introduced to him in the first book, not the second one, so that does kind a rule him out. In the spirt of surprises I've decided not to speculate anymore and just enjoy the anticipation :D

I'd agree with that, also he definitely had potential to be a major character - I mean, he shares a room with Harry so it would be easy to narrate a storyline involving him. I would have considered Neville to be a pretty minor character before OOTP, and then he ends up being kinda important doesn't he?

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Cathy

I've been re-reading the Harry Potter books over the last couple of days, and I've just finished the Prisoner of Azkaban.

***Don't read the rest of this unless you've read all the books.***

Remember in the first one, the vault that the Philosopher's Stone was in was number 713, which was a maximum security vault?
    Well, in the Prisoner of Azkaban, at the end, when Sirius sends Harry an owl when they're on the way back on the Hogwarts Express, he mentions that he took money out of his Gringott's account in Harry's name for the Firebolt. And he mentions that his vault was number 711. Which would be right beside 713, and probably maximum security too. Indicating that there's something important in it.
    Since Sirius was able to take the money out in Harry's name, Harry will probably have access to it as well.
    If it's beside vault 713, there's probably something very important in it... and Sirius was the last of a prominent pureblood family, so he's bound to have had some interesting things. Which could come into play in the next two books.

Or am I thinking about it too much?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Cathy wrote:

heh. eh, yeah. but you'll REALLY enjoy the 4th book. i enjoyed it the most out of them all, and I think most others feel the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Cathy

banquo wrote:
    heh. eh, yeah. but you'll REALLY enjoy the 4th book. i enjoyed it the most out of them all, and I think most others feel the same.

I've already read them all, I was just
    Cathy wrote:
    re-reading
    them in preparation for the next one :)
    The fourth is definitely my favourite, too. Off with me to the library on Monday to get it!

Cathy wrote:

Thats some damn fine police work! I think you could be onto something there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭carpothepunk

whens it out again,the new one i mean,i must re read 3 and 4 now

• Advertisement

July 16th

Advertisement