Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harry Potter

Options
  • 17-02-2005 6:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭

ok not the films but the books....

have you read them?
    do you like them?

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

I've read them all and I've really enjoyed them.

I think she's writing them as teenagers very well. It reminds me of when I was that age and completely irrational. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭cajun_tiger

so have just finished re reading them(new ones due out 16 of june)
    and i love the storys,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Grizabella

I read them and did'nt particularly like the first two but the last three have been excellent in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

I dig Harry Potter I can't wait for the next one! it should rock!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

I love them, can't wait til the next one :)

What are ppls order of preference??

mine's 5,4,1,2,3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭*Angel*

Yep love them, problem is I read the last one in a day, and which really kinda wastes it. Can't wait for the next one!

Preference: 4,5,3,1,2

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Dont see how you could put one before the other the way I see it there all one big story that you have to read one after another. I enjoy each book more then the last as it advances the story not because one is better then the other. The books seem to grow with the characters which is cool.

I'm sure there is a Harry Potter book that you would choose over another?!?! But I do see where you're coming from, you're right but I can't change what I prefer!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭theCzar

each successive book is longer, and more detailed, not to mention more mature with a better story.

I'm also looking forward to the new book, but June is too far away, so i'm doing my best to forget all about HP, and this thread isnt helping thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Velvet Vocals

I think that they are just one big story and it's all leading to what will undoubtedly be an incredible climax. (But if I had to choose a favortie it would be The Order of the Phoenix) I just can not wait for the next installment. I finished re-reading the order of the phoenix last night and I just love every minute of it! So exciting and so well written.
    I got a present of all the books on CD being read by Stephen Fry for Christmas and while listening to books really isn't my thing I have to recomend them, the tells the story's so well, it's thoroughly enjoyable.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

theCzar wrote:
    each successive book is longer, and more detailed, not to mention more mature with a better story.
    That's one of the things I think is great about them though - the way her style of writing seems to mature of the children get older.
    I personally like all of the books, but I LOVED the Prisoner of Azkaban. The Dementors just looked wrong in the movie - since when could they fly anyway?
    Has anyone read Harry Potter in any other languages? I read the Philosopher's Stone in Spanish (Harry Potter y la Piedra Filosofal) and am currently reading it in Irish (Harry Potter agus an Orchloch). It's surprisingly good for practicing languages

Fishie wrote:
    Has anyone read Harry Potter in any other languages? I read the Philosopher's Stone in Spanish (Harry Potter y la Piedra Filosofal) and am currently reading it in Irish (Harry Potter agus an Orchloch). It's surprisingly good for practicing languages

That's a really good idea. I might try that!

Also, as regards your sig, you're taking the urine with "Diggum doggin fishun" surely, what language is that?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭Kain

Preferance: 3,5,4,1,2

I've read them all and i loved them all, theres always something in there to get your mind working as to how something happened, or you'll read a name or something later in the book and you have that feeling that you've heard it somewhere but your not quite sure, it's brilliant stuff. I can't stand the movies though, that guy the plays Harry really can't act.

I'm so looking forward to the next book, and to think that this will be the second last one :(, even still from whats been leaked out about the story its already sounding to be a great story.

I've also heard that Rowling has finished the finaly in the last book and it writing the rest of the story, but i'm not sure if its true or not, but i'm already waiting for the last one as well.

theCzar wrote:
    as regards your sig, you're taking the urine with "Diggum doggin fishun" surely, what language is that?!
    It's Diggum Doggin language of course!
    Well, ok, I was just trying to fill up the signature while I'm waiting for a friend to get back to me on the Polish translation. I think she's forgotten though so I'm just going to leave it there haha

Kain, I know what you mean about those little references that just pop up later in books - I missed that remark Dumbledore made during the Yule Ball about finding a room full of chamber pots, and had to go back and check it while reading the Order of the Phoenix. I love the way those details all link in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 jimmy rodgers

The whole Harry Potter world - the character himself, his environment and friends etc. is a complete rip off from a number of sources but most notably the Chrestomanci series by Diana Wynne Jones. Diana W J herself has acknowledged this fact.

She is one of my favourite authors and although she really writes for kids and I would have first read her when I was eleven or twelvei still read and reread all her books because in my opoinion they are sublime. I immediately spotted the similarities as have loads of other people and D W J s books are superior in every way.

I really irritates me when i read/hear about older people going on about Harry Potter - what on earth were you people reading when you were younger to believe that these books are in any way original/good? Probably reading nothing or else series about ballerinas/horseriding....

The whole Harry Potter world - the character himself, his environment and friends etc. is a complete rip off from a number of sources but most notably the Chrestomanci series by Diana Wynne Jones. Diana W J herself has acknowledged this fact.

Wow, DWJ herself acknowleges she's been ripped off, eh? well stop the presses...

I think its more or less accepted that JKR has been heavily influenced, but so what, everything is influenced by something, and whatever part luck and timing played in HP's success, to say...
    I really irritates me when i read/hear about older people going on about Harry Potter - what on earth were you people reading when you were younger to believe that these books are in any way original/good? Probably reading nothing or else series about ballerinas/horseriding....

makes you sound like a moany bollix, so why not chill out and enjoy a book on it's own merits, you'll live a happier life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

Nearly everything these days will be plagarism according to at least one person. You could give out about it, or look on it as a blessing, because assuming they are "a complete rip off" of DWJ, then surely you will enjoy Harry Potter aswell?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,158 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Love em. Don't give a damn that they're meant for kids. They're escapism at it's finest.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,782 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Don't know if this has been posted already, but here's the cover to the forthcoming Harry Potter novel.

news-potter-halfblood.jpg

Picture doesn't work

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,782 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Fishie wrote:
    Picture doesn't work
    Click here to see it: http://www.joblo.com/index.php?id=6823

Is that the American cover though? Because the style doesn't really fit in with the rest of the ones that I have

Interesting though. Is that the pensieve they're looking at?

Fishie wrote:
    Is that the American cover though? Because the style doesn't really fit in with the rest of the ones that I have

Interesting though. Is that the pensieve they're looking at?

That must be the American one. The site said it was from Amazon.com.

This one is from Amazon.co.uk

0747581088.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Harry looks like hes got jaundice or something. Gandalf is looking good though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 yowsaa

oh H.P i luv um!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i actually read third book first. i'd say its a close call between which is da ULTIMATE BEST!! probably 3/4
    who saw it coming that Sirius
    would die in the last one?
    not me ne way!

lolth: use spoiler tags to hide plot when talking about a book. Thankfully I dont care about the secret of the HP book being given away but there are people who have yet to read it or are busy trying to guess. and no, I havent read them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭The Fitz

should be brill.

yowsaa wrote:
    who saw it coming
    that Sirius would die
    in the last one?
    not me ne way!

Nor me, why oh why did he have to die?!? I really liked his character, lets hope he returns in the half-blood prince.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 yowsaa

HMMMMMMM i dnt tink he'll come back to life thats a tad far fetched but then again u never know!

Not really, when you consider the voices within the archway he fell through. Notice how Rowling never gives a good explaination as to what it was that "killed"
    Sirius
    ? Either he will come back in fully animate form, or some sorta spirit thing. Thats just my guess, so feel free to counter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭*Page*

i hope that he does come back and again with the whole, dead thing.. there are goasts and other sorts..

just a question that has been bothering me..

you know the way the pictures can talk, walk and express themselves? why is it that none of the picture/photos of harrys parents do?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭*Page*

115 days, 10 hours, 24 minutes, and 10 seconds left until the publication of Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince!

Advertisement