Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lost [Contains spoilers]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,473 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Liked it. It was like a mid-season recap of a reality TV show (but better). It was a great condensed show of all the highs and lows (Charlie's incident still chokes me up!). No flashbacks (just island stuff). The teaser at the end was almost the same as the one Basquille linked a few weeks ago. Worth getting, IMHO (if only to remind you how good the first 20 episodes were, and to remind you of the key story elements). No new content in it, so its up to you.....

• Registered Users Posts: 43,815 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Well.. just went through the next fortnight of TV listings for RTE1 and RTE2 on The Custard.TV (excellent site.. powered by DigiGuide's database but without the monthly fee. Well worth registering on to customise channels!)

Anyways, no sign of Lost at all in the schedules!

Which makes me ponder where'd we get the rumour of it starting on May 2nd anyways? :confused:
    TmB wrote:
    The teaser at the end was almost the same as the one Basquille linked a few weeks ago.
    Except for one crucial difference..
    it shows us that Shannon wants Sayid to "do something for her" (i.e. kill John Locke, i'm guessing!)
    TmB wrote:
    (Charlie's incident still chokes me up!)
    Yeah.. me too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭doh.ie

basquille wrote:
    Well.. just went through the next fortnight of TV listings for RTE1 and RTE2 on The Custard.TV (excellent site.. powered by DigiGuide's database but without the monthly fee. Well worth registering on to customise channels!)
    Anyways, no sign of Lost at all in the schedules!
    Which makes me ponder where'd we get the rumour of it starting on May 2nd anyways? :confused:

That would be me. And it was originally planned for tonight, Bank Holiday Monday, but I never found out which channel. (I assumed RTE1 based on the comedy elements on RTE2, along with a new candid camera show which was starting recently.) Then Armageddon appeared instead... I assumed a launch of a week later, though again, never in listings as to which channel, and no promos to confirm...

Anyway, here we go again...! Comedy Night must be dead (at least after 10pm)... Lost is *definitely* starting May 23rd, 10pm, RTE2. Pilot to be shown over two weeks.

Recap was interesting from one perspective. If we're to assume the creators and head writers helped pick out which scenes to recap, a few piqued my interest...

* Spanish 'Green Lantern/Flash' comic appearance from the *pilot* (as opposed to ep 14 where it was burned) was included. Was more to illustrate Michael getting to know Walt, but still...

* Charlie and his addiction - likely included because this is will recur in the plot of the final four episodes (the plane and the drugs inside it)

* Most of the pilot (of the plane!)'s appearance in the pilot (!) - again, key scenes you could say, but still... Now non-Alias/Felicity fans will now have had a refresher of his face...

* Not a pointer, but interesting... Shortly before the gang headed higher up to test the transceiver, Sawyer can be seen... reading a letter. Had seen the pilot a bunch of times, but not since ep 8, so hadn't spotted that before. Clever.

* Probably not a pointer either, but of all the material from 20 episodes' worth, they chose to include that Michael had Jin's watch... Hmm.

* Rosseau says her team survived on the island for two months before something happened. Our gang will have been there almost two months by season's end.

Rosseau: "It was them, they were the carriers."
    Sayid: "WHO were the carriers?"
    Rosseau: "The others!"

If Ethan/The Others passed something on, or indeed the island itself is the home of an airborne disease, does it incubate for two months...?

* Again, not a pointer, but look, Ethan turns up seconds after Claire's screams!

* Charlie: "He could have told us where he came from, what he wanted with Claire..."
    A suggestion this important information will be answered?

* Mention of the raft and its initial building, but not its destruction. Any casual fan (who will use this as a catch-up) will see the raft in the upcoming ones and assume it
    is the same one. So while they ditched the destruction for this recap, they still included Locke's line from that episode; "They've attacked us. We're not the only people on this island and we all know it!"

* Jack and Locke: this is in for a reason, considering Damon Lindelof's said the season's culminating in the battle between the two.

Jack: "It's been a while since you and I talked, John"
    Locke: "Well, you're a busy man."
    Jack: "So are you."

* Boone's transmission: clearly "We're the survivors of Oceanic Flight 815..." The writers must want this out there for the end of the season to ensure there's no doubt about what the message actually was (considering it *was not* clear on the original broadcast.) Don't be surprised if the 'Previously on Lost' recap of upcoming episodes also goes back on this line and makes it clear to viewers. Again.

* Interesting that the Season 1 recap ends with "And your faith... is restored." (Locke on the hatch) alongside Jack going off to find him.

Overall, nothing new in it, but interesting all the same if we look to what we're being told to keep fresh in our minds. The narrator was bloody annoying, though.

Good promo at the end - can't wait for Thursday!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Kazaanova

If Ethan/The Others passed something on, or indeed the island itself is the home of an airborne disease, does it incubate for two months...?

Anyone else just not able to get the disease theory out of their head? Disease = goverment involvment. I really think the whole Island has something to do with a semi-controlled experiment, and not just that a disease just happens to be on the island, because someone injected Claires baby with something. The disease? Is it possible to do that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

anyone know what time the first "post" from our respective cousins is at tonight?

Usually around 3am, depending on how quickly they get it polished up and ready for shipping. They're good at taking out the ads and there's a thing where the IRC channels get it first, but give or take, 3am-4am.

You could do what I do and use Azureus's RSS feed option to scan the, er, post office and it'll detect it, add the Torr-onto package and it'll be in by 5 or 6am, ready for watching whenever you want.

interesting, ive never used that option before,
    must have alook into it

i just cant wait to see this episode

post No.400

well done everyone :D

now if someone form rte looked at this thread they might realise how popular the show is and start show it sooner

just saw the add for lost on rte1 during the adds for reign of fire

didnt give a date or time though

• Advertisement

I know its only a few hours but theres some good preview clips of tonights episode up on Yahoo: http://tv.yahoo.com/feature/lost.html

Does anyone else think that more Irish people are going to end up watching Lost on C4/E4 than on RTE?

more than likely

it seems to happen with most of their shows but thats usually about their lousy scheduling
    any idea when c4 is starting it?

ps my postman is currently "running" to my house at 104.5 kps :-)

madrab wrote:
    more than likely

it seems to happen with most of their shows but thats usually about their lousy scheduling
    any idea when c4 is starting it?
    They're starting it alongside E4.. and Big Brother is running for an extra week this year.. so i expect mid to late August.

Considering this.. i'd be suprised if Irish viewer's waited til then to watch it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

I'm dying to get home from college and watch this...

let's hope the mailman has delivered my package... there were over 3,000 mailmen carrying it this morning iirc

Forgot to ask the postman to deliver it today while i was at work!

Hopefully he does nightcalls! :rolleyes:

my postman got a sprain in his ankle and is now crawling

damn him!

The postman analogy is getting old!

Whatcha say we start it fresh with a new term... "the carrier bird"?!

Just saw an ad saying that its coming to RTE2 and that they'll be showing the double episode pilot.

Thanks Madrab for trying to help. Sorry about your postman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

Just watched ep 21. Great to have it back

Good to see the guy they brought in with the Cypres Audio in season 2 of 24 in Sayid's flashback.

Good episode all round. No real revalations other than
    Locke revealing he was the one who sabotaged Sayid's transmitter

Can't wait till next week now...

yeah good ep but i was hoping for a bit more

guess ill have to wait till next week

• Advertisement

Going to spoilerify this one just in case, as it's quite soon after broadcast.

Ep 21,
    "The Greater Good"
    Not much revealed about the wider mysteries, though that didn't stop this one being quite enjoyable, thanks mostly to Sayid's interesting flashback. So he does know Nadia/Noor is still alive... He certainly didn't give that impression to me back in ep 9 during his conversations with Rosseau. Will have to rewatch those scenes.

Sayid wound up on the wrong flight out of dedication to his dead friend - fate at work again. I would've thought the CIA should have given him more than "walking around" money after what he went through for them. As it stands, he found out where Nadia is, and as important as that is for him, it's still not great that the CIA weren't willing to compensate their undercover 'agent' a bit better than that.

Locke was responsible for hitting Sayid - make sense, I suppose. He did have a connection to the island from his encounter with the monster in "Walkabout" and the return of his legs, so he didn't want to leave. He seemed to become more selfish, and 'possessed' by the island after discovering the hatch, though.

Given the title of the episode, to what extent did he ensure they didn't leave for "the greater good" of everyone. He told Charlie in ep 7 that "the island can help you - but you have to give it something back in return." He's obviously not impressed by the attempts to sail away on Raft II. If I were any of the others, I'd certainly expect he was the one who burned the raft after ruining their earlier chance to leave.

I'm glad Sayid insisted on seeing the hatch. This is something the producers have stretched out half a season, and they're obviously keeping its secrets for the end of the season. We should probably get some answers on this one soon, though. If it ran over the summer cliffhanger, I think that'd be a mistake.

Enjoyed Charlie and Sawyer's babysitting of Turnip Head. In fact, almost everyone had a chance to do something in this episode - the cast aren't normally so well served.

No real crossovers to other characters/previously known events, save Sayid spotting Locke's scar and Sayid's own backstory with Nadia. I thought this episode would include Sayid telling Shannon or agonising over telling Shannon why he was on the plane, but given how things turned out, those two look like they're on hold for a while.

(Which reminds me - I hope Shannon gave back the key to the gun case. It must've been left unopen after she went after Locke. Also, look how it always seems to rain whenever these gun confrontations take place. More dramatic, I suppose. Or maybe the weather reflects mood on the island as well.)

Over all, pretty good, even if little island material was furthered. Now it looks like *next* week before we'll get some answers.

Gotta resist reading spoiler tags... can't see episode til after work! Cheers for the consideration doh.ie and steveland? with the spoiler tags!

My God... i'd love to be paid for watching 'Lost'!!

Anyways.. will post my opinion at some point tonight!

No worries, Basquille. Will be interesting to hear what you think. Do resist - nothing too exciting in there anyway.

On a late day at work today, so I caught it this afternoon; otherwise would've had to wait myself. The anticipation can be agonising - imagine how we'll be in the run up to the two-hour finale!

If I hear any reports of someone rushing home at the speed of light through the streets of a North-West town, though, I'll know it's you...!

Kazaanova wrote:
    Just saw an ad saying that its coming to RTE2 and that they'll be showing the double episode pilot.

This is great news - I've long thought it worked stronger as a two-hour pilot (90-mins). There's something about leaving this group for the first time at "Guys, where are we?" over the sight of the pilot in the tree. Just more powerful, and more compelling (by the end of the second, we also know about Kate - the marshal going, "She's dangerous!").

I hope RTE hype the hell out of this - more people probably will kick off on RTE, simply because E4 are going to take forever to start it. I'd like to think there'll be RTE Guide covers, lots of decent promos and write-ups in newspapers and magazines, but it all depends on how much RTE are going to want to push it.

I hope they've taken note of how successful it was abroad (the first promo does mention it being a hit in other countries), and try and get as many people to tune in, as they did with Desperate Housewives. They need to try to sell it as a mainstream series to begin with, without any hint of it being a 'genre' show or sci-fi/fantasy (which it only is in part). If they push the 'monster' element too much, it might turn some viewers off.

I agree with all that doh.ie! Especially about the pilot being shown all in one part.. as it always should have been.

I'm also wondering will there be a new Lost dedicated thread here on Boards for the uninitiated after the first few airings on RTE, considering they can't really post here in here with spoilers and all.

basquille wrote:
    I agree with all that doh.ie! Especially about the pilot being shown all in one part.. as it always should have been.

I'm also wondering will there be a new Lost dedicated thread here on Boards for the uninitiated after the first few airings on RTE, considering they can't really post here in here with spoilers and all.

Definitely. Will be hard to read the posts in there and not go, "Ah, but wait a few weeks, and that'll make sense..."

Another reason why RTE should've started on this sooner - anyone keen to know what's coming next who hasn't the discipline to avoid spoilers will be able to find out every single bloody thing right the way to the end of the season from any number of sites and this thread!

We're less likely to, cos we know we're close to the end, and some of us never touch spoilers. But I can see some big revelations being spoiled by people who'll be talking about the show and suddenly someone'll go, "Oh, I read Kate robbed a bank..." or "Locke was disabled..."

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Well enjoyed this one, although that damned carrier bird must've been getting tired towards the end of his journey - he really had to struggle to carry the package for the last few pieces.
    I felt Sayid's second story was more interesting than the first. Although I still think, when I hear of Nadia, that Sayid is going to turn up in APO HQ and meet Bristow and Co. :) There's a nice element of tragedy and I really liked the bit where Sayid chose to change his flight to the doomed 815 flight - just sat well with me.

TurnipHead - heh. Anyone wanna bet that she names the baby Boone?

I thought Terry O'Quinn was excellent this week - he seemed so unsure, for once, when trying to explain himself at Boone's funeral. Shannon's revenge on him was a little cliched but her character was on good form otherwise, so I won't complain. And Locke hitting Sayid - well I always figured it was Locke so no real surprise but it might be interesting to see what he does when they attempt to leave the island in the finale (I assume that's what we'll see).

Looking forward to next week - surely we'll get answers? And see what the light in the hatch means?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,202 ✭✭✭digiman

They need a really strong advertising campaign to get people to watch the pilot, because if they can't get the viewers to tune into that, then most people will not tune in after this and start watching it. Its not like friends were you can just miss an episode and not have missed that much. The type of advertising that sky did for 24 is whats needed otherwise it will be regulated to a friday night slot like 24 is now.
    I really hope it takes of and can't wait to get home from work to watch it. Its pretty handy this misterious bird flys past my work and dropped it of for me. He absolutely flew here as well in less than 15 mins.

ixoy wrote:
    Well enjoyed this one, although that damned carrier bird must've been getting tired towards the end of his journey - he really had to struggle to carry the package for the last few pieces.

That's weird. Either your bird-hutch wasn't able to connect to bird-seeds with the final package pieces, or you had some overcrowded sky issues. Do you normally manage to fill the cage with birds (i.e. max out your, er, view of the sky... this analogy is getting difficult)? Cos if not, you might need your bird forwarded to the local seaport (well, the other way around - shorter distance and all). Otherwise, most of his feathers tend to miss the...

Oh, for crying out loud...! :) Your ports might not be forwarded correctly. For a popular one like this, it should come in in less than an hour, easily, and max out your connection to the limit you set it to as well. Certainly shouldn't be struggling at anything under 30k/sec.

• Advertisement

Ah man, now everyone knows we were talking about torrents all along.

Advertisement