Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lost [Contains spoilers]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭doh.ie

Hyzepher wrote:
    This episode really shows the strength of the writers. A lesser show would be continuing to produce trill after trill to keep the audience figures up but Lost focuses as much on character development as it does on the trills/mysteries.

I agree that the show doesn't need to amp up the thrills to keep audiences interested; it's actually surprising that US audiences are happy to allow so much time for the stories to develop. This has been a rare exception on US TV in the past (Twin Peaks being an obvious example.)

Still think that if they're going to develop characters well, though, it needs to be *more* than what we got with Jack this week. That doesn't mean a mystery-encased story like Hurley's but it has to (I think) have a stronger edge than Jack's vows for a woman we've only just met and who isn't developed enough for us to feel much of anything for her.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

I think the latest Jack story will serve as a link to something yet to happen, and we'll all go "ah so that's why she...."

Hyzepher

Hyzepher wrote:
    I think the latest Jack story will serve as a link to something yet to happen, and we'll all go "ah so that's why she...."

I agree - that's exactly how previous ones worked. Sawyer's first flashback set up his second, Kate's on-the-run flashback led to the one with the actual crime, Jack's discovery of his father's body in Australia led to the cause of his father's going there etc.

Only issue I have with this one, though, is that the material (Jack's marriage doubts) doesn't really seem strong enough to foreshadow a future story on the same topic, unless there's much more to it.

Something else I meant to include earlier when I was suggesting Boone could have had a second, final flashback (not least cos we'd have then believed that to mean he'd live) - it's very likely that the wedding company that Jack and Sarah used was the one run by Boone's company, suggesting another connection between survivors. (If this turns out to be the case, it's a pity there wasn't a piece of on-screen evidence - like Boone overseeing final preparations, maybe - to back that up in ep 20.)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Any substance to the losing legs theme? Locke, Boone, Jack's missus... probaly not.
    On the tatoos, monkeyfudge is right, I hadn't wound back enough and we clearly see his whole arm and it's not in a mirror. I found this on a lost Forum (God, I've little to be doing!).
    in an interview with JJ on a radio station, he reveals that those are in fact Fox's real tattoos (way to go jcrew ) and that they plan on incorporating them into the story.....so yea, maybe it'll have to do with a tougher life before he got his MD license?

only time will tell

If anyone wants to read over some transcripts, here you go :)

• Registered Users Posts: 43,835 ✭✭✭✭Basq

By the way.. if anyone wants that brillant piece of instrumental music (referred to by doh.ie earlier as 'Jack's Theme'), i did my best to rip it from the video.

Download here! (at a bitrate of 224kbps.... best i could do!)

• Advertisement

Nice capture, Basquille. Unlike other shows which release soundtracks of their instrumental music (24, I'm talking to you - why bother?!), a potential Lost CD would be ace. This tune, and the other themes they've used so far are top-notch compositions.

More Lost media downloading to tide us over until the next new ep in May (or the Special on April 27th) over at www.lost-fans.de. OK, so the site is auf Deutsch, but they've got some cracking promos from Pro7's launch of the series a few weeks back. Channel 4/E4 went to Oahu to film promos with the cast for the UK launch later in the summer - hope they do as good a job as the Germans did with some of theirs. They even did a 7-day countdown to the launch, which aired on some ad break bumpers during the day. Still, like the US, they used Charlie's "Guys,... where are we?" quote from the end of the full-length pilot/ep 2, which I always thought was a poor move, seeing as how that'd ruin that moment when it came around in the episode proper.

Also a chance there to catch the actual Lost credits (albeit squeezed to the top half of the screen) on the German promo for 1x03. We've never seen those cos the US no longer carry end credit titles, preferring to promo the upcoming programme or the next week's episode. No clue either as to what kind of music the credits have cos the Germans are running a promo as well. (No more than Pickarooney, I also have little to be doing, clearly...)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭digiman

Thought it was a very good episode. Watched the trailer for the next one. Can't wait to see it. Why do we have to wait untill the 4th of may to watch it when the episode has already been made. Here is something I found from the tvtome website. It lists there being a few more eps after the season finale. They are called exodus 1,2,3. Anybody know what they are about?

http://www.tvtome.com/Lost/eplist.html

Just something I noticed on another website. Remember back to one of the first eps Boone says to Jack to do one of those pen things, ironically jack does this to try and save boone. Also another thing from the website.

In episode #11, All the Best Cowboys Have Daddy Issues, Boone and Locke are tagging trees with red shirts to make a trail, and Boone is doing the tagging, and mentions that the Star Trek team members who got killed every episode wore red. Now that this episode has happened, it seems like it was a premonition about Boone's death.

digiman wrote:
    Thought it was a very good episode. Watched the trailer for the next one. Can't wait to see it. Why do we have to wait untill the 4th of may to watch it when the episode has already been made. Here is something I found from the tvtome website. It lists there being a few more eps after the season finale. They are called exodus 1,2,3. Anybody know what they are about?

http://www.tvtome.com/Lost/eplist.html
    Exodus 1, 2, 3 are the season finale. The season finale will altogether be 3 hours.. the first hour will be shown on May 18th, titled Exodus 1. The concluding 2 hours (Exodus 2 and 3) will be shown the following week.

The reason there's a break is (it's actually referred to as an 'hiatus') is (i'm actually not too sure on this) but it's something to ABC, who shows Lost in the US, wanting to show the season finale during May Sweeps, the best time of the year for viewers apparently.

By the way, i've a feeling that trailer for the next one is more for the next couple of episodes leading up to the finale. I don't think all the material shown in that promo will happen in the next episode.
    digiman wrote:
    Just something I noticed on another website. Remember back to one of the first eps Boone says to Jack to do one of those pen things, ironically jack does this to try and save boone. Also another thing from the website.

In episode #11, All the Best Cowboys Have Daddy Issues, Boone and Locke are tagging trees with red shirts to make a trail, and Boone is doing the tagging, and mentions that the Star Trek team members who got killed every episode wore red. Now that this episode has happened, it seems like it was a premonition about Boone's death.
    Some nice coincidinks there! I'd like to think the writer's of 'Lost' planned all this stuff but not too sure!

For anyone who's interested.. here's eome interesting little tidbits revealed in Entertainment Weekly about the rest of the season.
    We'll find out who hit Sayid in the back of the head when he was trying to get a radio signal.

The last episode will have a flashback to the original flight. So Boone will be back! But only through a flashback.

No mysteries on Lost have been written with an answer to the problem.

We'll find out why Sawyer was at the police station in Boone's flashback soon.

The raft will sail eventually. But who will be on it is the mystery.

Charlie will find out about the plane with heroin and his temptation will return.

Hurley will find out the numbers are on the hatch, and it will be an interesting episode.

Locke's motive for keeping the Hatch secret will be found out soon.

basquille wrote:
    Exodus 1, 2, 3 are the season finale. The season finale will altogether be 3 hours.. the first hour will be shown on May 18th, titled Exodus 1. The concluding 2 hours (Exodus 2 and 3) will be shown the following week.

Thats brilliant, I thought that there was only 2 more episodes left.

basquille wrote:
    By the way, i've a feeling that trailer for the next one is more for the next couple of episodes leading up to the finale. I don't think all the material shown in that promo will happen in the next episode.

I think you are probably right on that, It really is leading up to a fantastic ending.
    basquille wrote:
    Some nice coincidinks there! I'd like to think the writer's of 'Lost' planned all this stuff but not too sure!

Would like to think the same myself, but doubt it, there is just so many things that occur like this that its hard to believe that they meant for them all to happen. If they did they are the best writers ever in my opinion.

• Advertisement

I hear RTÉ are due to kick off Lost on May 2nd - no suggestion of which channel it is likely to be (but really could end up being either RTE1 or 2...) If it's RTE2, it's likely to be 10pm-11pm. If Proof 2 finished in time, it could be RTE1 after the news...

I suspect the more 'frightening' elements mean a pre-8pm slot (as something like Alias would have had in the past) isn't so likely.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

doh.ie wrote:
    If it's RTE2, it's likely to be 10pm-11pm. If Proof 2 finished in time, it could be RTE1 after the news... .
    If it's RTE2 it's more likely to be 10pm-11pm for the first six weeks, moved to a 2am slot, vanish for fifteen weeks, and reappear Sunday at 2pm before being pulled two weeks before the finale and showing the finale six months on... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭tvnutz

lol ixoy...so true

ixoy wrote:
    If it's RTE2 it's more likely to be 10pm-11pm for the first six weeks, moved to a 2am slot, vanish for fifteen weeks, and reappear Sunday at 2pm before being pulled two weeks before the finale and showing the finale six months on... :rolleyes:

Funny. Or an entire series shown in the right order, on the same night consistently, but no future seasons shown at all, and a denial that the show was ever on RTE if anyone asks any questions down the line...

Yeah... maybe Irish viewers might take a liking to it though.

If you look at it's viewer's around the world, currently consistently 2nd in ratings in Germany and Australia.... but then again, wouldn't be too sure about the Irish audience!

I'd say RTE2 will show it, to be honest!... i don't think RTE1 would take a risk on a new US drama show like that.. it's alright for ER, CSI as they're safe and successful.

Anyways, i do hope it does well with the Irish audience..... but i really doubt it!!

I'm sure that Irish audiences *will* warm to the show, just as much as they have to Desperate Housewives and other US hits. However, it will get a much stronger mainstream audience here if they (wisely) opt for RTE1, in the same way ER, The West Wing, CSI are considered to be the strongest imports. However, if RTE for any reason label this as sci-fi/fantasy, it'll immediately be dumped on RTE2. Should still do well there, but not as much as it would no RTE1. (It's the usual BBC1/2, ITV/Ch4 syndrome.)

ER was on RTE1 from the start (not sure about CSI), though I think West Wing originally started on Network 2.

They do occassionally take risks, putting newer imports on RTE1 and I'd like to think they considered Lost to have this level of potential. Putting it on the old 'Comedy Night' on RTE2 might not be so wise, as viewers just won't know what to expect.

I'd say E4/C4 will have much stronger launch for the show later in the summer, complete with cast idents/promos and a proper marketing effort. (I bet they'll have Jack, Kate, Sawyer and Co. on those promos which ask actors questions and just edit together their replies as well.)

doh.ie wrote:
    However, it will get a much stronger mainstream audience here if they (wisely) opt for RTE1, in the same way ER, The West Wing, CSI are considered to be the strongest imports. However, if RTE for any reason label this as sci-fi/fantasy, it'll immediately be dumped on RTE2. Should still do well there, but not as much as it would no RTE1. (It's the usual BBC1/2, ITV/Ch4 syndrome.)
    Am i only one that thinks the opposite is true?...

OK, we all know the potential audience on RTE1 is much greater than on RTE2. You need only to look at the weekly TV figures to reach this conclusion.

For example (week ending April 03):
    RTÉ ONE DAY VIEWERS
    1. Late Late Show Fri 521,000
    2. Fair City Thu 512 "
    3. Fair City Tue 493 "
    4. No Frontiers Tue 488 "
    5. Show Me The Money Thu 470 "

RTÉ TWO
    1. Desperate Housewives Tue 328 000
    2. Van Wilder Thu 213 "
    3. Home and Away Tue 191 "
    4. Racing Mon 190 "
    5. Premiership Sat 188 "

But also looking at that... (and i don't mean to sound too harsh here).. but the shows on RTE1 are typically aimed at a much older audience than the shows on RTE2. I'm not saying that these shows on RTE1 can't be enjoyed by a younger audience but just thinking of two such examples:

RTE1: Nationwide, Reeling In The Years etc.
    RTE2: Scrubs, Desperate Housewives etc.

I'm not too convinced that Lost will do better on RTE1... but judging by RTE2's Comedy Night, i think Lost will definantly be shown on RTE1.

I do hope it does well over here.. as it's truly an amazing show. One of the best shows in a long long time! But i'm still not sure how the Irish audiences will take to it.. especially if being shown on RTE1.

Oh.. and by the way... here's a new promo for the rest of the season of 'Lost' - not much new scenes in it compared to the last promo i posted except for the clear use of "We're The Survivor's Of (Flight) 8-1-5"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Kazaanova

At least that last promo clears up the "We're the survivors of flight 815" thing. I don't get that at all, why would someone say that? It's like the other person was used to having debates about who the survivors of flight 815 were. Personally I think the exact same plane crash happened 20 years ago with a different group of people, the survivors all went insane, and one of them was answering Boone. It kind of sounded like something Ethan would say. I've no idea with the general speculation is, so sorry.

Anyway, I just watched every episode to date within a week then found out I have to wait untill May now. That was not a nice feeling. My original plan was "I'll just watch the first episode and see what all these Americans have been going on about", then its 19 episodes later.

I'm not going to watch it on TV over here, not sure how it will do on RTE but I know that C4 will handle it very well. How come Sky diddnt get it? Seems like their kind of show. I've never bought a TV show on DVD but I'm glad to say Lost will be my first, should be out here before Christmas right? Its September in the States.

Kazaanova wrote:
    At least that last promo clears up the "We're the survivors of flight 815" thing. I don't get that at all, why would someone say that?

For now, some of the options are:

1) another group of survivors from the *same* flight, including Rose's husband
    2) based on Sawyer's reading of "A Wrinkle in Time", maybe kind of parallel dimension, time shift techno-wotzit thing with the current Lost cast in the future (I do not like this option - the producers say this all has a basis in the 'real' world and if they go all mad sci-fi on it, it will probably cause mainstream US audiences to switch off)
    3) As you say, a different crash with a different bunch of people that happened to have the same flight number, maybe even that light aircraft from ep 19 (by the way, not much chance that could have travelled very far into the middle of the Pacific, is there...?). Only thing that makes me doubt this is Boone's use of "Oceanic Flight 815..." in his distress call - unless the word Oceanic was not transmitted, this would suggest the "we're" people were on the same flight
    Kazaanova wrote:
    Anyway, I just watched every episode to date within a week then found out I have to wait untill May now.

Just the way US TV works, I'm afraid. Though there may be a move to do new programming all year round. Alias on ABC and 24 on Fox, have run their entire seasons this year without any breaks, but to facilitate this, both started in January instead of the usual late September/early October.
    Kazaanova wrote:
    I'm not going to watch it on TV over here, not sure how it will do on RTE but I know that C4 will handle it very well. How come Sky diddnt get it? Seems like their kind of show.

C4 got in quick for both Lost and Desperate Housewives. Originally, as it happened, Sky were not interested in Lost at all. As far as I remember, by the time Sky realised both were going to be a hit in the US, it was too late. (The original Desperate Housewives pilot had a largely different cast, so its redone version was stronger, making Sky's original decision understandable - however, the Lost pilot was largely identical, except for a few shuffled scenes and music changes, so Sky should've known they had a potential hit on their hands at that early stage last May.
    Kazaanova wrote:
    I've never bought a TV show on DVD but I'm glad to say Lost will be my first, should be out here before Christmas right? Its September in the States.

It will be out in September on Region 1; but Region 2 may take a bit longer, even as far ahead as beyond Christmas, as I doubt C4 will want it released on DVD before their broadcasts of season one end... (a bit like Sky and 24.)

basquille wrote:
    But also looking at that... (and i don't mean to sound too harsh here).. but the shows on RTE1 are typically aimed at a much older audience than the shows on RTE2.

I could see an older audience "getting" Lost (hmm, "Get Lost!" as a promo tag - has that been done already?), but as much as I'd want that, and it to become a talked about show, it is likely the younger audience won't be as likely to see it on RTE1. (Still, I consider ER a "young" show, and that's been on RTE1 since day one.)

Incidentally, I would have put Desperate Housewives on RTE1 as well, if I were scheduling it, and putting such a strong import on RTE2 makes me wonder if they'll do the same with Lost. I'd still rather RTE1 for sheer mainstream impact though. There must be thousands of "older" folk who never turn over to RTE2.
    basquille wrote:
    I'm not too convinced that Lost will do better on RTE1... but judging by RTE2's Comedy Night, i think Lost will definantly be shown on RTE1.

Unless they're quitting Comedy Night for the summer...
    basquille wrote:
    But i'm still not sure how the Irish audiences will take to it.. especially if being shown on RTE1.

One thing I can see happening is this. People in general seem to often have trouble committing to a show week-to-week. Some see one a month, others can get a few in a row, get into something, but won't mind missing out on a key episode at all! So in terms of Irish people getting in on this, it'll be largely only if they're committed enough not to miss any. (The whole dipping in and out of a show is a big bug bear with me! If you're going to do a show justice, and until it jumps the shark or goes completely downhill, stick with it! Don't come back in a week or three and go, "How did Boone get injured...?")

• Advertisement

doh.ie wrote:
    For now, some of the options are:

1) another group of survivors from the *same* flight, including Rose's husband
    2) based on Sawyer's reading of "A Wrinkle in Time", maybe kind of parallel dimension, time shift techno-wotzit thing with the current Lost cast in the future (I do not like this option - the producers say this all has a basis in the 'real' world and if they go all mad sci-fi on it, it will probably cause mainstream US audiences to switch off)
    3) As you say, a different crash with a different bunch of people that happened to have the same flight number, maybe even that light aircraft from ep 19 (by the way, not much chance that could have travelled very far into the middle of the Pacific, is there...?). Only thing that makes me doubt this is Boone's use of "Oceanic Flight 815..." in his distress call - unless the word Oceanic was not transmitted, this would suggest the "we're" people were on the same flight

Good points.
    1)I thought that too, but Jack said Rose's husband was in the tail, how many people could there be in the tail? And do you think they can account for everyone on the plane yet? Like are there 30-40 people missiong?
    2)I dont like that theory at all either.
    3)I was saying that if the whole island thing was like a controlled experiment, they cause Oceanic Flight 815 to crash every few years and start over, like the Matrix. But thinking about it that makes no sense at all. If two or more flights with the exact same name went missing someone would figure it out on the outside world. I still think the whole thing is controlled by someone, but would it be remotely possible to cause a flight like that to crash and be able to guarantee that there are survivors? They really only get one shot.

I watched a few more of the earlier episodes and one thing seemed to stick out. When we first see Lockes backstory he uses the word 'Destiny' a lot and I mean alot. It is as if going on that trip in australia was already mapped out for him and there was some purpose behind it. Being told that he couldn't go on the trip seemed to be a shock - the same shock he got when the catapult thing didn't open the hatch. I have a feeling that further backstories about Locke will uncover some type of preplanned event. When he crashed on the Island it seemed to make sense to him - he finally understood the reasoning behind the things that were happening around him.

On another note - we hear reference to Helen a number of times in the first few episodes and then again when Locke loses the use of his legs. Helen and his disability are definitly linked. When I initially saw the earlier episodes I thought Helen was his shrink but after watching it again she seems to be some sort of Premium Rate Chat escort that he built up a relationship with. I am sure we will meet her in a backstory.

Hyzepher

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

As for how well the show will go down here in Ireland.

A few months ago I showed the beginning of the pilot to one of my classes. They were all instantly hooked and wanted to know when it was going to be shown over here, of course I had to greatly disappoint them with my answer... ha

These would have been women aged between around 25 and 45.

Hyzepher wrote:
    On another note - we hear reference to Helen a number of times in the first few episodes and then again when Locke loses the use of his legs. Helen and his disability are definitly linked. When I initially saw the earlier episodes I thought Helen was his shrink but after watching it again she seems to be some sort of Premium Rate Chat escort that he built up a relationship with. I am sure we will meet her in a backstory.

She is definitely a Premium Rate Chat escort, but I don't think she's likely to feature in his backstory beyond her being a woman he called regularly.

She didn't seem interested in furthering a conversation with him without being paid ("John, if we talk any longer, I'm going to have to charge you for another hour. That's another $89.95..."), plus when he told her he had two tickets to Australia, she replied, "I'm not allowed to meet customers." (She also told him he should see a therapist.)

I don't think they've ever met, beyond the phone calls. His disability and loneliness probably just pushed him towards the phone service to seek a friend and someone he could share his thoughts with.

I'm with you on the 'destiny' thing, though. Sounds like after the accident his life had no meaning, but he got a sense that some day all would be right with him again. (The opening of the phone call with Helen began with: "I have never felt so alive. Getting to finally tell Randy off was... life changing. I mean it, now I'm free to do all those thing I ever wanted to do. Things that I know I was destined to do, like we talked about Helen.")

I still find the final moments of "Walkabout" to be deeply moving, a combination of the emotional score and O'Quinn's acting.

And, no, I didn't memorise the script. Transcript excerts above from http://www.twiztv.com/scripts/lost/

Yeah I doubt we'll ever see Helen again.

I wonder how Locke lost the use of his legs? I thought it was going to be the kidney operation, like they'd mess it up and cause it.

I agree that the final few minutes of Walkabout were great, its always going to be one of the highlights of the show for me. It just hit me so hard the first time we see him in his chair, and then the flashback to him looking at his toes, brillaint. I've read about people gaining the use of their legs and then losing it after a few days, I found watching this start to happen to Locke very nerve-wracking. I don't think this will happen to Locke though, I dont think him getting the use of his legs back was to do with the mental or physical trauma of the crash, but more to do with something strange on the island.

I really hope he doesnt die, the guy who plays Boone said that he's the first out of a lot of people to die. Do you think they're going to have a show like that? When one person dies another person from the background comes in and takes their place? When it showed Locke getting "shot" Sayid was there with him, maybe Jack too, so then we'd just have a repeat of Boone dying with Jack trying to save his life.

Kazaanova wrote:
    Do you think they're going to have a show like that? When one person dies another person from the background comes in and takes their place?

Maybe not with Locke, and maybe not before the end of the season, but don't be surprised if someone joins the cast, gets their flashbacks and all, but who isn't in the current (minus Boone) cast of Lost characters. Whether it's someone among those we have in the group of 45 at the moment, or whether it could be someone from a group of as-yet-undiscovered new characters, I very much think they'll opt to bring in new people down the line. Not to the detriment of the current characters, of course, but like any show, when some new energy is needed or there's a call to make the show fresher, Lost should be able to add in new characters at will.

Whether they'll choose to continue to kill characters that are strongly established remains to be seen, but it probably wouldn't be wise to do that too often - after all, it's the characters and our love of them that keeps us tuning in. If they were to kill several of the key cast members, the show wouldn't be the same programme.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I'd like to see Mira Furlan's French woman come in as a regular character.

She could have some really interesting flashbacks.

I'm not so sure that Helen is such a dismissive influence on Locke. She is mentioned in more than 1 episode and not just during a backstory. And for me that means something.

I also think that Locke may move away from the group and become involved in other things. Remember the reference to the 'virus' hasn't been explored and I doubt it was mentioned without reason - Locke moving away could indirectly save him from any spread of the virus etc.

Hyzepher

I'd like to see Mira Furlan's French woman come in as a regular character.

She could have some really interesting flashbacks.

Great idea. That would be a really good choice, plus a whole different world to bring to the flashbacks. She could even feature flashbacks to the island years earlier. I still think a flashback for Claire of the 'missing week' would be worth doing. Cheaper to film in both instances than building new sets for pre-island scens as well...

More bits 'n' bobs to help tide us over until the 27th...

Someone over at lost-fans.de has made some opening credits for the show. Now, JJ Abrams and Co have decided not to do this so we can just launch straight into the action each week and to stop it from 'feeling' like a regular television show. But, as fan-made stuff goes, this is a very strong credits sequence, something which wouldn't be far off what the show itself might've done. Font looks wrong, though, and someone cast shots are a bit too quick. Still, on the whole, pretty decent.

You can download from:
    http://lost.slayersproject.net/cgi-bin/get.cgi?action=jump&URL=http://lost.slayersproject.net/media/LOST_credits.zip

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭tvnutz

damn,thats actually quite a good opening sequence considering it was made by fans. dont know about the music though.

Advertisement