Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lost [Contains spoilers]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

doh.ie wrote:
    Great idea. That would be a really good choice, plus a whole different world to bring to the flashbacks. She could even feature flashbacks to the island years earlier.

According to IMDB
    she has two more episodes this year in the big two parter. I just hope they don't kill her off. That was a big fear of mine even in the first episode she was in.

And also I must say she is looking very good for a woman who is turning 50 this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭doh.ie

Hmm. Can't risk reading the above. Is it a spoiler for an upcoming episode, or an interview quote?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Kazaanova

Hyzepher wrote:
    I also think that Locke may move away from the group and become involved in other things. Remember the reference to the 'virus' hasn't been explored and I doubt it was mentioned without reason - Locke moving away could indirectly save him from any spread of the virus etc.

Hyzepher

I think the virus is going to be a HUGE thing in the future. Especially since they wont be able to test for it etc. Should make for some interesting episodes.

At first I thought that thing Locke found, was like some kind of bomb shelter people used to get away from the monster, or the people who had the virus. I thought this because it can't be opened from the outside, and theres someone in there. But then I started thinking, how would you get something like that on the island in the first place? It couldnt of been build there, so it had to come from a ship. Also how did they dig it down etc.

Agree this is going to become a big thing. I don't know if it was ever referred to as a virus, though. I think Rosseau only called it 'the sickness', so this could easily be a mental condition as well, like, say, believing the island is guiding your destiny or telling you what to do next... (!)

In any case, it's wide open. Whatever the disease was, all of Rosseau's people succumbed to it or were killed by her.

doh.ie wrote:
    Hmm. Can't risk reading the above. Is it a spoiler for an upcoming episode, or an interview quote?
    ha.. it's nothing too bad. I was just erring on the side of caution.

Just looking at the Notable TV Guest Appearances section of her bio on IMDB shows which upcoming episodes Rousseau is featured in.

• Advertisement

doh.ie wrote:
    Agree this is going to become a big thing. I don't know if it was ever referred to as a virus, though. I think Rosseau only called it 'the sickness', so this could easily be a mental condition as well, like, say, believing the island is guiding your destiny or telling you what to do next... (!)

In any case, it's wide open. Whatever the disease was, all of Rosseau's people succumbed to it or were killed by her.

Before I saw Lost I remember reading something about it, and I probably got it wrong, but it mentioned a virus, and figuring out which survivor had it.

People are forgetting the monster, I think thats going to be something that will be there right untill the last episode. The first thing I thought of was that it was just peoples imaginations, like Lord of the Flies, and it could be that. A lot of times when we "see" or hear the monster, people are facing their fears. The first time we see it knocking down trees is when everyone is over the shock of the crash and realises the situation they're in. And Rosseau has said that theres something on the island worst than the polar bears. So it can't be a giant altered polar bear like I thought.

The 'monster' does seem to coincide with fear and anger, though it hasn't shown up at every instance of this either. I haven't thought it was 'real' (as in physical) since early on, and since everything has a basis in the real world, I'm going (so far) for some kind of mass hallucination induced by the island (remember Boone seeing the monster thanks to Locke's salve?)

Will be good to see it back again, hopefully before the end of the year - there was a genuine 'fear' (for viewers) in the pilot in relation to the monster, and they haven't actually replicated that level in the entire season since then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

Hmm... I've been waiting until I saw all the episodes to read this thread but 368 posts :confused:

Just finished watching episode 20 (bit of a Johnny Come Lately but was on a 4gb cap up until a while ago so couldn't "procure" the episodes till recently)

Best backstory so far has got to be Hurley's. The bit where he's
    recapping all the misfortunes to his mother was hilarious

Also funny seeing certain characters in the background of other peoples flashbacks (strangest yet was Hurley being on the TV when Jin
    goes in to tell Sun's fathers employee he's disappointed. Must have been a new report from when he won the lottery)

I like how
    they basically left the last episode with a lot of things wrapped up (well the baby) until the very end when you see Jack telling Shannon and then going off to find Locke... helps remind us even though the series is taking a break it's not finished by a long shot

Also I'm glad we haven't seen the monster and I hope it won't just turn out to be a dinosaur or something stupid like that... Could be a Jeepers Creepers kind of moment if that happened. What you don't see can usually be the scariest, so revealing the "monster" as something like that would just be stupid...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,543 ✭✭✭savemejebus

Is anyone else kinda concerned that the incidents on the island ar are going to end up being because of the (forget his name) kid's psychic abilities and overactive imagination?

I mean look at the polar bears, both times they've appeared the kid had been reading his green lantern comic that had a polar bear in it (in some sort of secret base-maybe needing an entry hatch!!), and dinosaurs/monsters play a big part in kiddies imaginations .

Add to that the incident in the flashback with the bird, and i have to say that i'm worried that a good portion of the island's mystery will come down to either the kid having mindpowers and the island amplifying them

With the bird, the bird was already there, so the polar bear had to be there too. The kid diddnt just make it materialise, if he did anything.

I think that half the stuff we see happen on the island is just plain old fashioned coincidence.

• Advertisement

Kazaanova wrote:
    With the bird, the bird was already there, so the polar bear had to be there too. The kid diddnt just make it materialise, if he did anything.

I think that half the stuff we see happen on the island is just plain old fashioned coincidence.
    Also Rosseau talked about the bears as if they'd been there a long time and not something new to appear on the island.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

Maybe Rosseau's a figment of Walt's imagination too :eek:

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Just quoting a small piece from the Sunday Times where there was an article on the greats of the English language, one of whom was John Locke. It has this to say about his character:
    In the late 17th century Locke wrote the profoundly important An Essay Concerning Human Understanding.

He wrote: “I desire it may be considered and carefully examined whether the greatest part of the disputes of the world are not merely verbal and about the signification of words; and whether if the terms they are made in were defined and reduced in their signification . . . these disputes would not end of themselves and immediately vanish.”

In short, Locke proposed that clarity and precision of expression were the key to a peaceful and harmonious society. This idea has been pursued ever since, with indifferent success, but it is a pursuit in law and in diplomacy which does indeed aim to make disputes vanish.

Locke also promoted correct pronunciation: “To write and speak correctly gives a grace and gains favourable attention to what one has to say.”
    So do these ideas fit into Lost's Locke? He is, after all, trying to get people to understand the island, to listen to the other side and understand what it's saying. It seems to fit in with the old philosophy of the original Locke...

ixoy wrote:
    He is, after all, trying to get people to understand the island, to listen to the other side and understand what it's saying. It seems to fit in with the old philosophy of the original Locke...
    Think you’re spot on with Locke – he’s trying to get everyone else to understand the connection the island has to them. It’s true that most of the world’s problems would be greatly reduced if people just sat down and talked – and most importantly, listened – to the issues affecting them.

And now for a treat. Must sustain ourselves until the next new episode...!

Was reading Entertainment Weekly #815 tonight (no mention of the connection, sadly! You'd think they would! Time for a letter, methinks...) and there's a few juicy tidbits in there I thought you guys might want to hear about. Not really spoilers, me being the king of not knowing much in advance, but some good stuff from the minds of the producers.

Have spoilerified it, just in case. There are a few quotes which do point to the direction of the show’s final stories and a few mentions of upcoming guest casts, so be forewarned. I still think there’s nothing here that would spoil viewing the final batch, though, and the producers are always keen not to reveal anything that will cause revelations to be lessened.

* Inspiration for the show's model is Twin Peaks.

* They've planned bits out, but not everything, and what they do reveal is dictated by what feels right. "Look for the season finale to bring some long-awaited clarifications - and perhaps a new dilemma," says Damon Lindelof. Deciding where they go next would seem to depend on fan reaction to what's revealed. If it's too much and fans go 'I wish you hadn't told me that', then "..we'll have to adjust again."

* They take the point that X-Files became frustrating, and to an extent it seems, Rambaldi's arc in Alias. Lessons learned from Twin Peaks and X-Files had them develop a show "[not about questions], but people." Let's hope that extends into not dragging some plot elements out for years. Posing questions, giving answers and setting up new questions (how they're trickling it so far) makes a refreshing change for this type of show.

* I'd figured they worked like this: "On Lost, we start by saying, 'Whose episode is this?' Then 'What's happening on the island, and how can it be emotionally connected to this person's past?" Explains why there's always a strong resonance between the flashback story and the island story, like with Jack's guilt over the woman who died in his father's surgery and his compulsion to bring back Charlie, and find Claire.

* New character to be added to the cast. Article is unclear, but it seems permanently. He's Daniel Roebuck, best known (it says here) for The Late Shift. We should meet him before season's end, and he will be added to the full cast for season two.

* Current-airing shows that bring inspiration include The OC (God, no... it's gotten so dire...!) and NYPD Blue (must be the character interplay/humour for the OC, and depth of character for NYPD Blue.)

* We'll find out who the dudes in the cave with the black and white stones in ep 7 were. That plot was etched out early on. "We know who those skeletons are, what their story was, and what they were doing with those stones. But that's a question we won't be answering this season." (Lindelof)

* Sawyer: "We'll see before the end of the season why he popped up in Boone's flashback." (I reckon there's another Sawyer show coming up, or the finale with the return to the flight will show how those stories connected. We already know Ian Somerhalder filmed scenes for the final three episodes.)

* Sayid and the person who hit him when he was trying to triangulate the distress signal (ep 7, I think): "You will find out within the next three original episodes, definitively," Lindelof says. "They will find that person, and that person will confess to having done it." (I reckon it must be Rosseau then; we know Mira Furlan is due back soon as well.)

* Much to revolve around the raft, or at least whether it sets sail or not, and who'll be on it. (Michael actor Harold Perrinaeu originally wasn't too pushed about taking the role, it seems, but Abrams insisted, saying he was the only actor he wanted.)

* Charlie: Originally planned to be a 45-year-old rocker. Changed their minds when they began to tailor the role for Monaghan. Charlie and the plane's heroin: "Reintroducing temptation is part of our intent. The good news, for now, is that he doesn't know that the plane is out there." Hmm. He'll clearly find it.

* Hurley: Actor wants them to introduce some romance, even light, high school-type stuff for Hurley. "..what happens when he finds out that the numbers are on the hatch should be interesting. Wouldn't you think?"

* Jin: "[What's his problem?] There are a few missing pieces that will make it even clearer by season's end why he's acted the way he's acted." Can't do flashbacks for everyone again before the end and Jin's was quite recent, but this suggests to me we'll find out more about Evil Father-In-Law or what Jin knows about him. Or maybe Jin has other skeltons in his past...

* Last, but certainly not least, Locke: O'Quinn told he would not be featuring heavily in the first two episodes, but signed on anyway. Just as well - he's developed into one of the best characters. When asked what he should react to in ep 4 when he meets the 'monster', Lindelof said, "All I want to tell you is that you saw the most beautiful thing you've ever seen." O'Quinn replied, "I can work with that."

* Locke's reasons for keeping the hatch secret: "His motive is revealed soon. Everything Locke does, he believes is in the best interest of everybody. That's all I'll say." (Lindelof)

* There's also an interview with Ian Somerhalder, but nothing really new in it. He was going to buy a house in Hawaii the week before the producers told him he was going for a little journey in another plane. Now he’s looking in California instead. He confirms he appears in the two-hour finale (Parts II and III.)

* Producer Carlton Cuse says it was "a narrative imperative that we kill Boone. It sets in motion a chain of events leading to the season finale." Adds Lindelof, "The show is about the conflict between Jack and Locke. Boone's death will be a divisive point between them."

Phew. Hope that’s of some interest. Do spoilerify any replies which are based on FACT relating to the final episodes – some of the elements above are vague, but just enough to get an insight into what they plan to answer before season’s end. Couple of returning guest stars I’d rather not have known about, but it’s getting like 24 with old faces returning anyway, it seems.

Too tired to break into a theory session on the suggestions of what's to come right now (and let's face it, could this post be any longer?), but looking forward to hearing what y'all think.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Some of my tapes got damaged and I'm trying to find a retailer who could sell me episodes 1-12. I found one in Sweden, but the shipping time is very long.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

I have a box that contains episode 1-18 if you want it. Weighs about 6kg. ;)

Cheers Ciarán. I rang that Swedish retailer back (aaaarrr!) and he's now swift-posting it, at erm, 150 grammes and envelope... damn these euphemisms are getting more convoluted by the minute :D

I got a copy of the Entertainment Weekly with Lost on the cover.

Tower have a bunch of copies and it's only €4.92... I just love the fact that it's issue 815....

There are short interviews with most of the male cast and they reveal, or at least hint at, which of the mysteries will be dealt with in the next few episodes.

I see RTE1 are showing Armageddon on May 2nd, and I see no other sign of Lost that week. So that suggests - unless they've reworked the schedule completely - that it's now due on the 9th. Odd, though. I would have thought showing the 2-hour movie version of the pilot on a Bank Holiday Monday was a way smarter idea than showing a film that everyone has seen (and that isn't that great anyway!)

This is interesting:

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news05/050425b.php

Apparently Michelle Rodriguez will be joining the cast....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭monomaniac

Boone's radio transmission - "we are the survivors of Flight 815!".

Looks like Michelle Rodriguez will be one of the "survivors" from the tail end of the plane. We already knew she'd be appearing as one of the people on the plane in a flashback in the finale but if she's joining the cast then she must be a survivor!

Anyone get the Season 1 special yet? Was just aired last night.

• Subscribers Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

yep i do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭monomaniac

Plan on watching it tonight or tomorrow night - though I hear it's nothing to get too excited about.

Handy I suppose if you haven't seen all the episodes - but if that's the case then you shouldn't really be watching a show like Lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭digiman

Got it as well. Plan on watching it when I get home. Should be interesting anyway. Looking forward to a clean run of new eps from next week. These breaks are really annoying. Thats the 1 good thing about 24 this year, at least there has been no breaks.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,833 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Don't know if i'll bother watching the special!

Have seen every episode at least twice... can't really see the intertwining of flashbacks and the plane crash keeping me interested!

The narrator's voice in the special was apparently very irritating, and was apparently Brian Cox, by the way.

Here's the promo for next week's new episode: http://www.livejournal.com/users/voodoo_in_tx/235420.html

Special was good enough, though nothing really exciting. No flashbacks, just a summary of events on the island itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,833 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Special was good enough, though nothing really exciting. No flashbacks, just a summary of events on the island itself.
    Anything new in it? Worth getting the tape?

I only skimmed through it but I didn't see anything new.

• Advertisement

I only watched a few minutes of it so far... it looks like the control voice from the Outer Limits has a new job...

Advertisement