Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wed, Thu, Fri - Potential Snow event

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Longing

You may get in your car Gonzo and take yourself out of Meath and head up the road to Cavan complete whiteout especially along monaghan border.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,879 ✭✭✭pauldry

I'm heading up the mountains Friday. They'll hv some. How did an Easterly still bring rain to coastal Sligo yet snow to inland Sligo.

Probably -6c in March and -3c in April and dissolving in midair snow then.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,637 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

It has turned to rain in the last 30 minutes. Ah well it was nice while it lasted. Hopefully the last week of February can deliver for those who have not seen any snow today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

Snowing here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭esposito

I’d take the last week of February for the snow starved east and Dublin.

No doubt March will deliver for snow. Hopefully it’s the first half as I lose complete interest after St. Patrick’s Day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,233 ✭✭✭✭endacl

The snow spared east is quite happy as things are, thanks all the same!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,609 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

It's just good to know that it can still snow in Ireland. Some lucky folks have gotten snow twice since new year.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

Light Snow turned a bit sleety but back to snow again and heavy for the first time.

Yellow - Snow and Ice Warning for Antrim, Armagh, Down, Fermanagh, Tyrone, Derry

Updated warning. 5-10cm widely above 150m. Up to 15cm possible in a few places.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,506 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Goldfinch8

A wintry scene near Ballaghaderreen, Co, Roscommon today.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,506 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Video I posted has been recorded near Ballaghaderreen too. Well, closer to Carracastle actually. ;-)

Voivod, Nothingface, Live at Roadburn 2011.

\m/

• Registered Users Posts: 19,694 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Nothing in Tipp. Good day to use the stove to get rid of that accumulated cardboard.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

And I thought I was the only Voivod fan in Ireland!

Cold and wet now. Most of the snow has now melted.

What a shame it wasn't an all snow event

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Robwindstorm

Well this is a shocker of a day. Nice to see some pictures of snow. It's the type of snow that you couldn't do a snow angel in without getting a very wet vest and underpants.

Jesus joi, there's no such thing as slippy roads when you're driving. I was holding on for dear life watching it.

The song for listening too while driving through Meath would be 'bambi thug', a bit of everything and a good scream in the end

• Registered Users Posts: 13,508 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Atrocious day in Dublin as expected. Persistent rain since 3am and hasn't stopped. Got lighter in the afternoon but still continued. Worst day since October 20th overall for persistence of rain here.

Couldn't make it out to chase snow scenes today but some nice ones in the north and NW from what I've seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 66,875 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

A great morning of heavy lying snow on Monaghan Fermanagh border but almost all gone now to a wet slushy filthy night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,879 ✭✭✭pauldry

We had heavy lying rain in Sligo.

Built a water man.

Then had a water fight and made water slides.

Nah we didn't. But some day we will.

It's a pity you couldn't get to the Wicklow Mountains. Heavy rain since 4 pm. I keep thinking what if it was snow): we would have a fairly good covering by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

So the reality was a few hours falling snow for the far Northwest and North. Very little lying and almost no disruption right across the island. With no embedded cold and zero heights to our North it ain't a surprise!! The only thing I cling to was last week of February in 2018. It can deliver if we're to get a split and SSW

Currently a wintry mix outside ,mostly snow but too wet at my altitude compared to earlier today . Above around 150m is a winter wonderland.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭holliehobbie

• Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭highdef

I'd disagree. Many parts of the midlands were also affected.......a fairly detailed description of conditions on my journey from Dublin to Longford below:

I left Dublin around 06:00 yesterday (temp was 4° at my coastal location) and made my way to Longford on the R148/N4/M4. The rain turned to sleet a little beyond Kinnegad (2°). When I got to the Mullingar area, the sleet had turned to a mix of sleet, wet snow and ice pellets. A car had recently crashed head on into a tree at the Circle K, having lost control on the slippery surface when turning off the road.......the driver was clearly not driving for the conditions at the time but that's another discussion.

I stopped in Ballinack (Westmeath) and it was very slushy there. There was sleet, very wet snow and ice pellets falling and the temperature was 1°. Like magic, the sleet/wet snow/ice pellet transformed into dinner plate snow around about the Westmeath/Longford border and traffic had slowed to below 50 km/h with the road being both icy and snow covered. Before Edgeworthstown, another car had left the road and after the second roundabout on the Edgeworthstown bypass, a car had lost control and crashed into temporary electronic signage. I turned off onto local roads a few kilometres up the Longford road/N4, at which point the road was completely snow covered. The change in precipitation type and snow cover between Ballinack and where I turned off the N4 after Edgeworthstown was likely down to 3 factors:

1) I was moving further west as I drove, thereby getting further and further from the marine influence of the easterly wind

2) I was moving slowly north the further I drove, thereby meaning I was getting further away from the milder air moving in from the south

3) Between Ballinack and where I turned off the N4, I gained altitude from around 65m to around 125m, this being enough altitude to have proper snow falling. This was the most important contributing factor as I had to drive to Longford town from my home (100m ASL) shortly after and when I got to the town, it was just a slush fest and this was at about 50m ASL.

Of note, the N4 had not been gritted at all so driving conditions were quite bad with speeds generally below 60 km/h. Westmeath had not been included in the snow/ice warnings so likely the reason that the gritters were no deployed. I did see one in Longford but it was far too late.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,916 ✭✭✭OldRio

Some pics from yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭pureza

Regarding today

There were many days like today in the 1980's winters

Raw cold ,wet with a biting wind off the sea and an academic temp of 7 c

• Registered Users Posts: 5,916 ✭✭✭OldRio

And another.

The tree damage was caused by Storm Isha.

Leitrim

• Advertisement
Advertisement