Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wed, Thu, Fri - Potential Snow event

Options
  • 04-02-2024 7:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,450 ✭✭✭✭

Folks,

Looks like some, if not most, may get some appreciable snowfall during the middle and end of the coming week.

The actual extent is uncertain as it always is but what is certain is that some frontal zones will be pushing up from the south ready for combat with colder air to the north of this system mid week with rain turning to snow as it moves up over country.

There is plenty of speculation, fear mongering and disappointment potential with this one and this seems like a good place for it.😆

Myself, I'm convinced it's more than likely somewhere will be seeing some disruption here. How widespread might that be? Most likely Ulster, North Leinster and Connaught but really everywhere has a risk of sleet and snowfall.

An interesting couple of days ahead tracking this I think.

For snow fans the further south the centre of this system tracks the more of the country gets roped in to areas at risk.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

At last..

• Registered Users Posts: 16,637 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

At least if this is a bust we won't have chased it for weeks only to be let down. Let's hope it doesn't keep correcting south so that in the end everyone misses out. I would love a heavy fall of snow with dinner plate flakes .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭dacogawa

Get ready for "Will it snow in my garden"

The snow bunnies will come...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,250 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Are you saying 2019 again, let it snow!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,271 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Haven't seen any forecast mention this.. has the chances of this developed only very recently?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

I haven't even looked at a chart, but the fact that there hasn't been hundreds of posts of coloured charts from 15 days out, tells me this is infinitely more likely to materialise than the usual FI stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭littlema

BBC weather after the 10 o'clock news tonight showed snow cover for the country north of a Galway/Dublin line. He didn't expand on the prospects, just said to keep an eye on the forecast for snow!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

Cork snow shield is alive and well...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,607 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

We need the Wolf to believe too!

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,739 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

Aperge better for the south

2am Thursday

6pm Thursday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭WolfeEire
    Clare (410ft asl)

Regarding snow risk areas, it looks like a high ground affair largely based on the mean of all current output. The highest peaks in the south may see snow and higher ground in the northern half of Ireland, perhaps down to lower levels in northern counties. Worth keeping an eye on as it could upgrade. The tracks of Atlantic lows are rarely nailed on 3-4 days out.

18z ECMWF shows only 3-4 of the 53 members with our south coast above the boundary line. Our northern coastline is above the boundary in the vast majority.

www.x.com/wolfeeire

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Certainly, just going on 850 hpa temps, some difference this morning between GFS and UKMO. UKMO showing what we want.

What uppers are needed here? Appreciate heavy precipitation can overcome milder uppers to some extent....

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Condor24

Rain sleet, and snow over the mountains is Met Eireanns call. Don't get excited. There's nothing worse than icy rain and a strong northeast wind. We can't catch a break this winter I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭highdef

I can only assume that the UKMO has updated since as it doesn't show any lying snow for non mountain summit dwellers.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭P.lane78

I have a flight going out on Friday...will I make it 😀😀😀

• Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭highdef

Almost certainly, based on the current models. Aerphort Dhún Na nGall and Knock are the only two airports that spring to mind that could have disruptive snow in the ROI, based on the various weather models at hand at this moment in time

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Here we go! There might be snow on the most norderly tip of the country and you'll still get the Corkonians saying 'that's the cork snow shield!' 😂 You shoulda been in Carlow town and environs during the BFTE and you'd know what a snow shield was 😢

Aperge further north

ECM further South

I was just going on uppers tbh, didn't look at precipitation - in fact I don't think you get charts like that on meteociel which is what I use

To be honest this dates back to about 2009 when Cork hadn't seen a flake since 2004 and there were snow events in Feb and Dec 2009 where it snowed widely but not in Cork. The phrase got used a lot around here then. It snowed here in Jan 2010 and plenty (relatively!) since, so the phrase should have been retired then. Given how southerly (again, relatively) Cork is, we do ok (by Irelands awful standards!) for snow as we can get snow from North Westerlies and Easterlies / South Easterlies. Northerlies and North Easterlies (we might get streamers off a ENE direction) are no good though- save we are probably the coldest part of the country in such set ups due to the land fetch.

• Advertisement

Yes , the Met Eireann forecast isn't great, rain and sleet with snow on high ground. It could be a decent event for the usual places higher up.

We usually miss out in these situations. I remember over 10 year years ago we had nearly 36 hours of rain and sleet. At first I thought it will turn to snow at some point, but no it didn't. John Eagleton at the time said a one degree temperature drop could have been the difference between a disruptive snow event instead of what we had.

Clare (410ft asl)

High ground in the northern half of the island still most at risk based on the average of all output. That line will drop south and further north with each run on every model between now and Wednesday. The lack of nudging heights to the north means a slider event is unlikely. Instead, we end up with a transient, snow to sleet event even for the north. Lots to resolve between now and then either way.

www.x.com/wolfeeire

• Registered Users Posts: 6,036 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

I have never ever heard Met E forecast snow until it’s actually falling, wintry showers is all you’ll get out of them a few days in advance. Not having a go at them as snow is almost impossible to forecast here away from mountains.

I remember two days of rain and sleet at the end of Dec 2009, it was a big disappointment, so near and yet so far but it was the beginning of a decent cold cold spell.

Maybe next week?

Latest Aperge. More areas seeing snow fall than the previous run.

Clare (410ft asl)

Thursday/Friday's setup is looking very similar to March 9th/10th last year, where high ground areas of the west and north saw a dumping of snow. I ended up with a dumping of snow over 2 days. The precipitation rate and 850s spread for this event are almost identical. The only difference is that heights to the north were greater and the low went E across Ireland and Britain as opposed to the ENE trajectory of this week's system.

www.x.com/wolfeeire

Clare (410ft asl)

THE JMA 06z would bring snowfall to Ulster and north Connacht and on higher ground a little further south.

www.x.com/wolfeeire

West Mayo had heavy snow for hours from that , while further east we had hours of cold rain. It was unusual because Wesport would usually have the rain while places further inland would have the snow.

I was away for that but think it was an orange warning.

Clare (410ft asl)

Match 9th 2023 was the ultimate example of fine lines with snowfall in this country. It rained below 200ft asl in Clare but most locations above that had 36-48 hours of snow. The Arome & Arpege were spot on for my location. The below shows what can happen in marginal events so @Kermit.de.frog is correct. Somewhere north of that boundary line will experience heavy snow should that boundary line be south of our north coast obviously!

www.x.com/wolfeeire

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,450 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

ICON model giving some significant snowfall to Connaught, parts of Ulster and extending in to Leinster on Thursday with a track for the occlusion that is close to perfection if you want snow. Nothing nailed yet but not even 70 hours out. A real risk of disruption for some (further north and west the more likely) Keep an eye on the forecasts

Advertisement