Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wed, Thu, Fri - Potential Snow event

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

One of the hills here seems to have good dumping of snow on it overnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 873 ✭✭✭pureza

ITV tv forecasts both last night and this morning who get their information from the UKMO team not meteogroup has mainly rain with pockets of snow in Ireland, even Ulster

I've always found their day before or on the day graphics to be a fairly good representation

• Registered Users Posts: 16,656 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Stop being so selfish Senor Pangea. Share the snow!

Donegal really has a different climate during winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Good job it stops at the Shannon estuary and won't hit me the far side of it in Kerry

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭pauldry

Wev got snow in the NW almost every year of the 21st century. Usually a total of 1 to 3 days for the whole Winter. That last spell there was snow on the ground in our estate for 2 to 3 days. If we get anything tomorrow maybe 2 more days. However I still feel the heavy stuff will land in Mayo and South Sligo with lighter amounts here and it could be sleety too.

I'd say inland Mayo 8cm will be the sweet spot. Maybe Swinford Charlestown, Tubbercurry might get some too and Ballymote. Sligo town on marginal edge perhaps 2cm best case scenario.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Robwindstorm

I have to agree. It's just going to be miserable, wet and cold. A bit of snow for a while on the hills and mountains. An Advisory would suffice in the forecast, no need for these exhausting yellow warnings.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,692 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Feeling cold in Galway now. Fingers and toes crossed for the white stuff.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,153 ✭✭✭highdef

Gerry Murphy said the word "snow" over a dozen times in the weather forecast following the Six One News. Could that be a record for a forecast that is a very borderline with regards to snow?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Met Office, good girl Clare, warning about widespread Yellow Snow on the latest YT release. Which, in fairness to them, is very decent and above and well beyond their remit as people will be people.

So if you're up near that border, caveat emptor lads and lassies.

Post edited by An Ri rua on

• Registered Users Posts: 23,838 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Quite right.

And considering in was Met É themselves that, only recently, said they intended to spare yellow warnings wheresoever possible, due to evident public fatigue around them, it does seem odd to not have limited this to a forecast mention for above 200-300m, and so on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭dacogawa

I missed the forecast, I was very sure Gerry wasn't programmed to say the word "Snow", it has always been "Schleet"...

Meanwhile, my Davis console here in Arklow has the snow symbol on it this evening...

Just saying 🤣🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

If there is widespread white stuff tomorrow, will Gerry become the new "Eagle" for the snow bunnies?!

Met Eireann more bullish than anyone now. Looks only a couple of hours at best away from Ulster. Something has gone wrong. Earlier today forecasts were showing a lot of hours snow now its a lot less. Also 3 instead of 2c in many places so could be hard to get snow with that. Can't even look at any upcoming precipitation on netweather app as Met Eireann seem to still be blocking their access to this or is it just me?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Met eireann don't have the option to cut back on yellow warnings even if they wanted ,they are under obligation to issue a warning being a member of metoalarm group.

They are however aloud to set and change the criteria that merit the warning system in use.

Met eireann did change the criteria last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Knock Airport TAF shows light snow between 3am- midday with rain and drizzle after midday

TEMPO 0803/0818 09018G30KT

TEMPO 0803/0812 2000 -SN BKN005 PROB30

TEMPO 0805/0812 0800 SN FG BKN003

TEMPO 0812/0818 2000 -RADZ BKN004 PROB30 TEMPO 0814/0818 0500 FG BKN001

• Registered Users Posts: 18,114 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

It's interesting, there's a prob30 attached to the light snow and not to the moderate snow, making me think its with the heavier percip that snow is more likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭ottolwinner

Ye forecast heavy rain for galway how accurate do ye rage them?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,692 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Out for a walk in west Galway. It just doesn't feel cold enough for snow. 2-3 degrees too mild I feel.

A lovely winter's day all the same. The roads are bone dry.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

Temp up a degree in the last hour in Arklow

NE breeze off the sea strengthening

It's-15c in Helsinki tonight btw

Hight today there was -8c

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭ottolwinner

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Looking, eh, good for snow in Cork, temp is 7.7c and DP is 4.5c. Perfect!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭screamer

absolutely no way im biting for this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

I haven't checked charts for a day or so. Am surprised how things have moved North. I would think lying snow will be reserved for Northern Ireland only. Very close to a non event for ROI. Gerry can ramp all he likes. When there's a big freeze coming he goes mild. I think he's on a wind up lol

Ya first bit in the West is mainly rain with an odd wet flake I'd guess. All rain in South. System is more North than forecast, what's new, however it is still a complex area of low pressure so could pivot quite a bit resulting in surprise snowfall for some.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

What ever about snowfall tomorrow is looking like a cold wet and breezy day for most in a moderate easterly wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Robwindstorm

If Met eireann are allowed to change the criteria threshold, which I believe they are due to increase in the first quarter of this year, then that will inevitably cut back on the yellow warnings.

As regards the snow, looks like ulster could get a nice bit from late afternoon to early night before turning to slush. The rest of us heavy rain down south to wet snow further north. Horrible day overall but hopefully a few winter wonderland pics in ulster before dark as I think it will be all washed away by Friday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭snowgal

My weather app near Trim is saying 💯 snow in 6 mins!! Was about to go to bed but, I’ll wait and see for few minutes, just in case, FOMO 😁❄️

• Advertisement
Advertisement