Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2023 Mentored Novices Thread

Options
  • 15-05-2023 9:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭

Hello all, you're very welcome to the DCM 2023 Mentored Novices Thread!

This is the 13th year that Boards has offered support and advice to DCM Novices. In 2009, -amadeus-- composed the opening symphony. Rainbow kirby took over in 2010Raycun in 2011, followed by Younganne in 2012career_move kept the show on the road in 2013, succeeded by Ososlo for the 2014 stanza. Dubgal72 with her expert coaching managed to get her crew through in 2015, while the 2016 edition was hosted by the notorious (not really!) nop98, in 2017 Wubble Wubble did a sterling job to bring Wubble's Wonders to the start line, in 2018 ariana' took over and expertly guided her troops through to October, 2019 saw the calm & collected Mr. Guappa get his crew to the start line. Unfortunately, due to Covid DCM 2020 & DCM 2021 didn't happen but thankfully @Laineyfrecks took over the reins and lead the group, me included, out of isolation and into the land of races again with her expert guidance for 2022 . So here we are, back with the 2023 edition...

About the Novices thread

This thread is aimed at anyone considering doing the Dublin City Marathon for the first time this year, on October 29th. It isn't limited to those who haven't run a marathon before, maybe you ran one but it's a few years ago and you're getting back into it or maybe you ran it but it didn't go well and now you're looking for a different approach...We have two possible training plans for you to follow and we are here to guide you in your training.

This forum encourages discussion about all aspects of your training both with fellow novices and with the community of experienced runners on the boards A/R forum to help so don’t be afraid to put your hand up and ask any questions you have, don’t be shy, we all started somewhere, and I can guarantee that it will have been asked and answered before!

The Training

Training for any marathon is tough, it involves adapting your body to the rigours & demands of 26.2 miles of running. It helps if you can spare a lot of time to devote to it, it can involve a fair amount of running at stupid o'clock as your runs get longer. Having your OH/Family on board is really crucial, they will be the ones supporting you throughout your training & then your biggest cheerleaders on the day of your Marathon.

Our training plans commence on Monday, June 26th, which is 6 weeks from today. We recommend that you have been running quite regularly for a year. Come June 26th, you want to be running comfortably 3-4 times a week, every week, covering at least 20 miles (32km) per week. If you want some advice on how to build your mileage up to 20 mpw over the next few weeks, then we're here for that too. 

Have a look at the two training plans on offer and see if you can find a way to fit one of them into your life for 18 weeks. Can you fit this in your daily routine, your holiday plans, your family life? If you're unsure, just try it out for a couple of weeks and see how you get on. The mileage in the programs will go up, so be realistic in your self-assessment. If you have doubts post here and we'll give an honest assessment if we think you're ready, and which plan will suit. Commitment & Consistency to me are really import things when deciding to run your 1st marathon, they are what got myself & many, many other novices to the start line & the completion of our very 1st Marathons.

Training Plans

The Hal Higdon Novices Plan is a widely used novice marathon plan. It's a simple, and straightforward plan, which slowly increases the weekly mileage to eventually include a 20 mile training run, and has step-back weeks built in to help the body adapt. It uses 3 mid-week runs, which will slowly increase in length, and a longer weekend run. Ideally, you mix in one day of cross-training, too.

The boards plan for 2023 is for slightly more experienced runners. It includes more variety in paces (either "easy" pace, or PMP ("planned marathon pace")), it includes strides on some of the easy runs, and generally covers more miles - e.g. 2 * 20 milers.

Both plans include all the Race Series build-up races (the Fingal 10k in Swords on July 16th, the Frank Duffy 10 Mile on August 19th in the Phoenix Park, and the Dublin Half Marathon on September 23rd in the Phoenix Park). You don't have to run these races, but it is recommended to try one or more of them or an alternative race of similar distance during the program to give yourself a feel for running at race pace and to see how much you've progressed. If the dates of your chosen races don't tie in exactly with the plan then don't worry - we can advise you on how to restructure the plan as we go on. Getting a few races in can really build your confidence & give you a feel for what it's like at an event, the nerves, the planning, the atmosphere all add to the race experience.

There are many more plans out there of course, but we recommend that you choose one of the above and trust the plan you choose! Both of these plans have got countless runners across the line over the past 12 years, including me, and they can get you across the line in 2023!

General Guidelines

Stick to the Plan - The longest runs are the most important. You can of course switch runs around within a week if you need to. If you have to skip a run, try make it one of the short runs. When it's gone, it's gone. Do not go chasing lost mileage in subsequent weeks.

Run slow - Once you think you run slow enough, run even slower. You will not be able to complete all the training miles if you don't run the majority of them slow (slower than you will run on the day itself and possibly slower than you have ever run).

Once the program is about to start, we'll talk about how to determine your training paces.

Be realistic - A marathon is no mean physical or mental challenge - hopefully, you will have raced at some of the shorter distances already. Don't set your heart on hitting a particular time. If you do want to set a target time, be conservative. The marathon, especially your 1st, is completely unknown territory, it has so many variables that can impact on your time. Don't fear the marathon, this can lead you to make poor decisions & to try to progress too far, too fast, too soon. Your goal is to arrive at race day healthy & energised, so respect the distance, but recognise it is achievable.

Listen to your body - If something doesn't feel right, stop your run. If it continues, seek professional guidance. As per general Boards guidelines, we cannot offer medical advice.

Be sensible - Things like nutrition, alcohol, and sleep. Paying attention to these things will reap benefits in the long run. Everything in moderation (except for the sleep part!).

And Here Is Your Host...

Just over 3 years ago I stumbled across the boards A/R forum as I was looking to get some guidance on my newly acquired, spur of the moment, lottery entry into the 2020 Dublin City Marathon (and we all know what happened in the intervening period!!) until I took the start line in 2022 as part of the Novices team. I had been running a couple of times a week up to 2020 but within lockdown increased this so that by the time of June 2022 I was running 4 times per week but without a structured plan for the most part!

I joined a fantastic group of fellow novices & gained a lot of knowledge from the more experienced runners here too. The support & encouragement is amazing, especially as most of you will be training alone, like 99% of my own runs are, but going back to the Novices thread with my weekly report, questions and for general chat was such a support and helped enormously in getting to that start line feeling fit and ready to tackle the challenge! The day itself was beyond anything I ever expected, I ran my very 1st Marathon in a time of 3:26 and was so proud of myself. The whole experience from collecting your bib number to crossing that line is one I will never forget, and you won’t either!

I committed to the boards plan and fitted it in around a busy life just like everyone else these days between kids, work, dogs and maybe even getting out once in a while! Once you commit I do believe your mindset changes & this then just becomes part of your life for the next 18 weeks and you find a way to fit it all in (for me I used bringing the kids to GAA training, getting into work & avoiding rush hour traffic as a way of getting runs in “for free” but couldn’t do it without the support of my family. Running a marathon is tough going, but training for one is equally demanding but I believe if you want something bad enough, you will make it happen, where there is a will there is a way!

Thankfully I will not be taking on this mean feat by myself, you have 2 highly experienced former novices on the team, @skyblue46 and @Kellygirl will be assisting with their considerable knowledge and experience of about 10 marathons and an ultra between them! Alongside that, the whole Boards Athletics and Running community is behind you, and will be dropping in with even more great advice and support.

However you got here, whether you stumbled into this thread by chance, were directed here, or have lurked for years before finally taking the plunge, you will not regret making us part of your DCM 2023 journey!

Joining in the Fun😁

Wanna be part of this amazing journey? I hope you still do! Feel free to introduce yourself if you want to participate. All are welcome. To finish, I'd really appreciate if you could tell us a little bit about yourself, and answer the following questions:

• Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs? (Date and distance please!)
    • Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training? (No problem if you do)
    • How much training do you currently do ? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant to your current fitness level.
    • What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time? Or just complete it in no specified time?
    • How many days a week can you train? And what plan do you intend to follow?
    • What is your biggest worry/fear/doubt (if you have any!) in signing up?
    • Why are you running this marathon?

Thanks for reading. Once again, welcome to the thread. I have a feeling this is going to be a very special DCM and 13th edition of the Mentored Novices thread, so why not jump on board & be part of this journey, you won't regret it 😉

Post edited by RacoonQueen on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Wow, this rolled around fast!

Best of luck to this years novices - you will be in great hands with @MisterJinx. He's already off to a strong start having recruited @skyblue46 and @Kellygirl to help!

This time 5 years ago I had signed up for my first marathon, but with no real clue of how to properly prepare for the 26.2 miles. Luckily I found the novices thread here and by following the advice and plans there I learned so much that stood to me on the day and into the future.

I'm looking forward to following the journey of this years crew - best of luck to everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭ariana`

Ah so exciting to see this up and running again and in the most capable of hands too. I can't imagine a better line up of advisors to guide any level of runner to the start line of their first marathon. It's so much more than a training plan, every run will be dissected, advice offered on a multitude of topics in the build up to the big day, all your questions will be answered and more!

Good luck to all involved!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lazare

Delighted to see this up and running. I can't think of a more perfect mentor, not to mention his expert sidekicks.

Great stuff 👏 👍

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭TheRef

From one of last years marathon newbies - I highly recommend any novice contemplating doing Dublin this year to participate in this thread. Last year, I was initially apprehensive by some of the other novices with a long history of running or who had race PBs I could only dream of, but the support, advice, and really excellent Boards plan got me over the line in 4:11. I learned loads from asking questions and having my weekly training critiqued.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

Great to see this up and running again (pun intended!). 2017 was great craic, would love to do it all over again.

Best of luck to everyone!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

As a first-time marathoner back in 2018, this Novices thread and the mentors were what got me over the finish line, there's no feeling quite like it.

Enjoy the ride and good luck!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Very best of luck with this years novice thread @MisterJinx , you will be a brilliant mentor along with the expert knowledge from your two advisors. For anyone lurking or thinking of signing up I'd say just do it. I had little or no running experience & never followed a plan until I stumbled on the novice thread & it was such a great source of help, advice & some good craic too. No question is a stupid question, ask & you will be given an honest helpful answer.

I look forward to following all the new novices on their Journey 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 10,420 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Brilliant, what a great team. Best of luck to all!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

So excited to see this thread start up again. My favourite time of the year on Boards. MisterJinx will do a brilliant job and looking forward to assisting.

Hoping to see loads of runners hopping on board and joining us on the journey to Dublin!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Ged139

Hi just

Found out about this running DCM for the first time this year so looking forward to any advice that can be given here.

Ged

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭MisterJinx

Great news @Ged139 delighted to have you onboard.

When you get a chance pop down the answers to our questions (totally OK if you need time to get to some of them like which plan for example). These answers will help us guide your training as we get closer to kick off.

• Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training? (No problem if you do)
    • How much training do you currently do ? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant to your current fitness level.
    • What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time? Or just complete it in no specified time?

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Pinoy adventure

Nice 1

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Ged139

i have been back running since 2018

1. 5k 25.53PB september 2020 10k 55.17PB may 2021
    2. No
    3. 3-4 times 30-40k along with some S&C workouts 1 or twice a week (doing the newry have marathon in 2 weeks)
    4. a solid marathon run. dream time sub 4hr realistic sub 4.30
    5. hopefully 4 times a week and the novice plan
    6. already signed up so biggest fear is injury
    7. it was my target when i started back running 5 years ago

Great stuff Ged139. You've some good times there over the distances and with running 3 to 4 times a week currently this will give you a very strong start to the Boards plan. On the injury front, it's a very common fear, and as you will hear oft repeated, running slow will get you to the lin feeling fit and healthy which is the #1 aim.

Very best of luck in the Newery half! You'll have to let us know how you got on :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Not gonna lie - I was looking forward to this thread! 😁 I enjoy following it every year - mad to think I'm now throwing my own hat into the ring! 😮 Delighted to see MisterJinx taking the helm with support from SkyBlue46 and KellyGirl, I know us novices will be in capable hands.

A little background: I've probably been running for about 10 years, very slowly. I'm in a desk job so it was for a bit of exercise and fresh air. Would have been tipping around 30 min 5km and was trying for the hour in 10kms. Few halves in 2:25-2:30 Pre covid. In 2020 I actually did the DCM virtual marathon in 5:38, barely told a soul I was doing it. It was really to see if I could actually go the distance before I would even think about doing a "real" marathon. Felt the struggle from about 17 miles onwards on my own but it was the support of those few who knew I was doing it which got me to the end. 2021 I fell out of love with running. Rolling covid lockdowns hit my mental health and I was close to burnout in work. Summer 2021 I started back running from scratch and joined a health and fitness group, learned to eat better, lost weight and started online fitness classes. Beginning of 2022 I joined the local athletics club and since then it seems to have all come together for me fitness wise (touch wood).

• Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs? (Date and distance please!) - 5km 25:40 Apr22; 10km 53:21 June22; 10 mile 1:36 Aug22; Half 2:07:32 Mar23
    • Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training? (No problem if you do) - No
    • How much training do you currently do ? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant to your current fitness level. - Running approx 3/4 days p/w about 25/30km. Athletics club training on Mon & Weds, sometimes parkrun on Sat and long run on Sun. Up until recently I was doing 3 x online fitness classes pw but not this past month, trying to get back into doing them again.
    • What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time? Or just complete it in no specified time? - I suppose for my first it's just to complete it. Online calculators place me around 4:30, I'd like under 5 hours, so we'll go in the middle and throw 4:45 out there.
    • How many days a week can you train? And what plan do you intend to follow? - I hope it's ok not to follow the HH or Boards plans. I'm in an athletics club so I'd like to use the plan they are prescribing as it will take into account the club training sessions and it will also mean I'll be running much the same distances as the people I'll be doing my long runs with. I've a few races signed up for the summer - Women's mini marathon (10km) June B/H, Clonown Athlone 10 mile 17 June, Kilbeggan 10 mile 6 Aug. Haven't decided which half to do yet, will probably do Tarmonbarry 3/4.
    • What is your biggest worry/fear/doubt (if you have any!) in signing up? - I suppose like most it's the worry of getting injured. That's why I'm going to push myself in the next few weeks to get back into the habit of my 3 x fitness classes to strengthen me up a bit. Also the fear of biting off more than I can chew in terms of training, distances etc and missing long runs. And fear of failure, blowing up on the day.
    • Why are you running this marathon? - My husband has run DCM twice (2019 + 2022) and I've thoroughly enjoyed spectating at it - such a buzz. And watching it last Oct I thought I really want to experience this for myself! Also I'm turning a roundy number in Oct 2024 so I'd like to do a marathon before my next decade.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,007 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

I've started the conversations at home around potentially doing it, now that I have said the words out loud I guess it's a real thing now! I'm still not 100% sure I will do DCM23, but at this point, I probably will!

About me: I'm a mid 30s Dad of two, software developer who mostly works from home, so lots of opportunity to not move unless I'm actively trying to!

I ran a bit in my mid to late 20s, nothing too serious, just did the Galway 5k series at least once and did the streets of Galway (8k) and used to go out a couple of times week maybe. Completely lost touch with it, and all other forms of regular exercise, put on a pile of weight over covid (wasn't great before it either!).

Started a couch to 5k last summer and that went pretty well. We did up the kitchen during the winter though and didn't get out a whole bunch. Started doing a bit again over Christmas and January, but I weighed myself at the start of February and I was probably the heaviest I've weighed myself (103.4Kg) so I decided I was going to change that. Since then I have been running at least 3 times a week since and have been eating a lot better. I'm currently 93Kg

Nothing overly relevant as most of them were 8 years ago, longest was the 8km streets of Galway. I did do a 5k at the end of my couch to 5K, I did it in 33 mins or something which I've passed out in training runs. My longest run is 14KM which I did as an easy run in 1:35

Mostly no, I'm currently training for a half marathon with Garmin Coach and some of the speed type sessions I find hard. For example I did Speed repeats this morning and I walked some of the non speed parts.

5 days a week. Whatever Garmin coach tells me what to do. My runs are all time based (e.g. easy 45mins, 20 mins race pace etc) but last week I ran 41K. Don't do any cross training at the moment. My half marathon is Kilkee on July 7th.

I am also doing the Clonown/Athlone 10 miler on June 17th( might see you there @Sunny Dayz !). My time/result in this is a secondary objective, I mostly signed up to get the race day experience again

I am also doing Hell and back in June, I kind of wish I wasn't at this stage as I feel like I'm just losing a long run day for Kilkee but I'm doing it with some friends so I'm sure it will be a bit of fun.

Just finish, knowing that I gave it my best

5 days seems like a good number, but I guess I could do more if I had to. Not sure what plan yet. My half marathon is two weeks after these plans start so I guess that's not exactly ideal as I will surely need some recovery time after that (I don't know how much!)

Time! I guess since I'm already training 5 days a week I have some understanding of the commitment involved. I definitely feel like I'm putting other aspects of my life on hold a small bit already. I do most of my runs early to lesser the impacts, but you can't burn the candle at both ends, so I go to be earlier to allow for this.

Deep question! For the achievement of it I suppose. I also want to prove to myself that I can. If you met me last Christmas you would bet your house on me not running a marathon in less than 12 months time, I would have even joined in on that action!

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭Seesee

• My first time too. After seeing my team mates and friends complete it in October I decided I’d enter lottery and see if I’d get an entry and I did and then I said I’d sign up and see how the training might go. I’ve been running since about 2018.
    • My 5k pb is 24:46, my 10k is 53:33, 10 mile (trim 2023) is 1:40 and bohermeen half this year 2:09. That was my first real half not virtual.
    • Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training? (No problem if you do) no
    • 3/4 runs a week. 2 sessions with club, hills, intervals or track, one lsr and one other either parkrun or medium distance run, total somewhere near 25k plan to up to 30 in next weeks.
    • 1/2 sessions of S&C or yoga. Am not young and need constant maintenance 😀
    • To Finish and I suppose somewhere around 4:30/5 but who knows.
    • How many days a week can you train? 3/4
    • And what plan do you intend to follow?
    • possibly my club plan, not a big fan of HH, might take a look at plan on here
    • not making it to the start line/not finishing although the first one is more likely. I’m my Physio’s best customer with long-existing niggles mainly in the calf. Throw in the menopause and it’s a constant battle to maintain the status quo.
    • Because I think I probably should be able to. Because I’d love to.

@Sunny Dayz @witnessmenow and @Seesee It's great to have you all onboard for the journey.

@Sunny Dayz it looks like joing the club and having that structure around your training has really paid dividends for you. I'm also mightly impressed with 3 days a week of S&C, it's an area that most of us runners do poorly in and should be addressing as much as you are. I don't know how you did the virtual on your own and ONLY started struggling at mile 17, I would have been out on my feet attempting that! Hopefully that experience of going long will stand to you although it will be a very different experience on the day with the crowds cheering you on from mile 1. As your husband has already done it twice I'm sure the house is well aware of what your undertaking which is great as everyone there can be behind you and knows what's coming up. (Would you believe I've a very similar situation to yours in my own house...!)

@witnessmenow I'd actually read a little of your log over the last couple of weeks and it's impressive to see the dicipline your applying to this endeavour. You've done so well in getting from couch to 5K to now tackling the marathon. From one desk jockey to another, who in my case quit a 20 a day habbit and did a couch to 5k 7 years ago, it really goes to show that change is really possible and that anyone, including yourself looking in the mirror, should be saying yes they can!! I wouldn't worry about any of the races times, you have plently lined up there so we will be able to work out your training paces. Have a good look at the 2 plans available, they are both straighforward and easily accessible and from my own experience you won't get any better. I would be a little unsure of the garmin plan myself, I have the training suggestions turn on my own watch and sometimes I'd really question what it is suggesting for me to do. Have a think about it.

@Seesee your coming in on a nice strong base and with a variety of runs in the week, and some S&C too! You've some really good times there and having only done your first half you've got a very good milestone there to work off. Based on the variety of runs you are doing and the hill work etc I think you should take a look at the boards 2023 plan. It has a mix of some hills, strides, pmp pace work and the long runs, the variety might suit and complement what you are already doing. "Because I’d love to." <- that's the best reason :-) Hold that one tight and in some of the more testing times repeat it to yourself and then when you finish remember that's why and how much you loved the whole process and the day and sense of achievement

Post edited by MisterJinx on

• Registered Users Posts: 10,420 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Great to see so many people signing up already. Could be a bumper year!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,007 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Thanks @MisterJinx, yeah I guess the half will be a decent test for the Garmin coach system. I do wish there was more context of why it's giving me this run, not the advantage in general, but why did it decide that I don't have a long run this week for example.

@Murph_D Well in my case I still need to get a spot so I'm putting a lot of trust in this refund/transfer system that's coming!

My main run buddy in the run group is signed up and she's very unsure about doing it. She said she'd give it to me if she doesn't, but I selfishly really hoping she does decide to do it so I have a someone to suffer with me 😅

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 MECA

Hi all,

Just spotted Someone recommending this thread on Cork runners. Need all the help I can get!😀

Be great to hear how other newbies to marathon like me are getting on too! My answers below.

• A few. I’m not the most competitive person.Not a fan of the short distances either ( all that heavy breathing!.) 10 miler (Dungarvan) would be around 1hr19m, 4 miler pb 28m28s. Half marathon (Waterford dec2022) was 1hr 48min
      • Summer running absolutely kills me so sometimes I would once the weather heats up. I really struggle running in the heat even though for everything else in life I love the heat!
      • Depends on work/life/kids, but mostly 4 days. 2 on a bad week. 5 on a good week, hoping for mostly 5 days while training for this.
      • First timer but would really like to enjoy running it, savour the atmosphere and maybe finish in under 4hrs if I don’t die trying.
      • 4-5 days a week (hopefully mostly easy runs with the summer heat). Currently trying to do up a plan myself using a bit of a mix of hal Higón and John Buckley ( cork running shop).
    • What is your biggest worry/fear/doubt (if you have any!) in signing up? Injury e.g stress fracture… one of the ones to put you put for Couple of months..
    • Why are you running this marathon? Bucket list. I’ve run for years but never looked at times much. I just tip away on my own. Recently joined a local club and I train once a week ( intervals) with them now. Mostly I did this to try and make summer running easier as if I got fitter I thought the heat wouldn’t affect me so much. I’m really enjoying it though. I’m 48 this year… it’s about time I tried one. One will probably be enough!

good luck to all the other runners on here! Looking forward to hearing your stories!

Hey @MECA great to have you onboard as well. So it sounds like your built for endurance, or certainly that's what you seem to enjoy the most so a marathon is a great fit for you :-) The half time there in december is a great benchmark to work off. I struggle with the heat alot myself, I'm in the singlet now and will be until October! I've found myself that having some water with me on very hot days helps alot, also turning down the pace and accepting that you just can't run at the same pace in the hot weather for training as you can in the cold weather for the same effort. You'd be amazed as well the difference a peaked cap will make too when it's very sunny. I would strong recommend that you take a look at the Hal Higdon and Boards plans before to commit to making one up on your own. A lot of runners have used these plans and they have got a lot of people across the finish line enjoying the day and savouring the atmosphere. If you are inexperienced in terms of building a plan then it could be quite easy to put in a plan that over extends yourself and has you on the sidelines for a perlonged period, it's something to think about. If you have any plans for upcoming races do let us know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Great to see this thread buzzing all ready! @MECA I too did my 1st marathon as a bucket list one in 2019, I am running my 4th one this year🤣it's addictive!

For your 1st this thread is brilliant for support & knowledge & the plans are really good. Very best of luck with your journey and enjoy it, running your 1st marathon is very special 😊

Hi All,

Just a quick update now with 5 weeks to go until the official kick-off of the training plan. As mentioned in the first post this is a good time to now be reflecting on which training plan you are thinking of taking up and look at how you are going to fit this into your life over the summer. Most, if not all of you, will be ramping up in terms of distance and frequency of your running from where you are at today so being aware will help you plan the next few months!

Within the next 5 weeks would be a good opportunity for you to start to get to the 20 miles per week which would be the starting point for the marathon plan. If you are not covering this now, then there is time to gradually increase to get to this point. Perhaps there is a current run during the week that you can extend a bit or there is another day you have earmarked where you can fit another short run in during your week.

I would just urge a little caution as well, one of the biggest causes of injury can be ramping up your effort too quickly. There is a golden rule where you shouldn’t increase your mileage by more than 10% a week – so for any increase you decide to do then keep it short and modest on a weekly basis.  

If you have any questions on this or need a little advice then just pop your questions in here, we’ll be happy to answer!

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭MiniMonstera

👋🏽 👋🏽

Hi everyone

Here for my first marathon 😃

The year 2020 saw me literally on the couch since 1979 (41 whole years). During covid lockdown #2 (Oct 2020) in a bid to stay sane, I faced my 4th and final attempt at the C25K, and actually finishing it.

Kept the runnjng going, running radomly and sporadically, with no real plan. Did the odd parkrun. Wasnt too interested in races at all.

First race medal was the vhi women's mm virtual 10km in 2021 (did it solo). Then started doing some in person races in 2022. The rest is history!

Currently a stay at home parent of 3 girls, the youngest of whom will be starting preschool in Sept. Previous to that I was a corporate desker for almost 2 decades. On paper I'm a qualified financial advisor but in reality I have never once practice. I maintain my qualification although I suspect I'll never have practical use for it in the future, save for my own financial knowledge and wellbeing. Good to have a backup plan though, should the parenting fall through! 😆

Looking forward to getting to know everyone - novices, mentors and cheerleaders alike 😃

mm

• 5km / 25.10 / May 2023

• 5 Mile / 44.27 / Jan 2023

• 10km / 59.10 / July 2022

• 10 Mile / 1.42.08 / Aug 2022

• Half / 2.14. 35 / Sept 2022

• No, I go down to a very slow jog if needed, or stop altogether if breath needs catching for a moment. I detest walking.

5/6 days p/w.

Was doing between 35 and 50 km p/w training for my recent 5km race.

I don't do any other training and likely need to do strength and pilates, I think. My core very weak.

I like a nice 10km easy run or longer. I like the session work too. I tend to avoid short runs (although getting a bit better at doing these) because of the effort it takes to get out of the house etc., i feel like short runs are pointless (logically i know this is not true).

I have to admit I hated every millisecond of the recent 5km race, but loved the training. Just too stressful and overwhelming. Maybe 5kms aren't my jive.

Dream - 4 hour (3.59 😜)

Realistic - 5 hour (4.59😁)

I'd aim for 6 but over summer might be more difficult to achieve with the kiddies all at home. Come September I'll have free weekday mornings (for the first time in 9 years!) so could potentially ramp up for second leg of training.

I'd probably follow the Boards plan, unless mentor advice was to the contrary.

The training being too tough / long / demotivating.

Being crabby to my kids due to tiredness. My husband says I say "I'm tired after that!" after every run and he's not wrong!

Injury. Not had anything too bad heretofore, as I slow down when I get told off. I'm quite the rule follower.

Not fuelling properly resulting in bouts of illness and ongoing fatigue (hello head colds and cold sores). Basically a hit to the immune system from the constant stress. E.g. this happened just before the 5km race, got a cold followed by cold sores the next week. Would love advice on supplements or specific foods to focus on. Sleep isn't an issue as I adore it and get enough of it. I rarely drink booze either.

I really have no idea! I suffer terribly with imposter syndrome and really don't view myself as a runner. When doing the 5km last friday I honestly thought "Why am I here??'. The amount of negative thinking that flooded my mind when doing the 5km - ranging from you're not a runner to you're gonna be that person who dies doing a 5km and it'll be all over RTE news - was overwhelming and it'll be one of my biggest challenges to overcome I think.

Cheers, mm

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Hi MiniMonstera, welcome to the thread. You’ve done well running wise in the last two years.

When I read the bit about you saying “I’m tired after that” my first thought was fuelling and then you mentioned that next. It might be something to work on over the next few weeks before getting into the marathon plan. Make sure you are eating enough daily, not only to fuel your runs but so that you recover well after each run too to be ready for the next. I don’t know much about supplements but if you eat a good varied diet with plenty protein, carbs, and fats you shouldn’t need supplements. If you are eating 3 good meals a day and snacks in between you should be fine and plan for food after your long runs too. We can certainly help with ideas there if you need help.

Hi mm, delighted to have you join the gang. So first things first, if you put on a pair of runners and go out for a run then you are a runner, period, end of. It's not about times, it's not about distance, it about getting out and enjoying going for a run and you fit that bill, so you are a runner ,sorry to break it to you :-)

And! Your running regularly, have some great time across a range of distances and I can see that for a lot of reason in your life that this is something you've really take to, so your no imposter. Well done on keeping going from a C25K, that's where I started too, and I haven't looked back. I would say as well that of all the race distances 5K can be the absolute toughest out there, it's a relentless push from the moment you go off and everything screams at you to stop (well for me anyway) until you throw yourself across the finish line swearing, you'll never do it again. Doesn't matter if you are going it in 15 minutes or 40 minutes, it feels the same for everyone at that distance! It's also quite intense as you say with loads of people milling around, "fast runners", noise and perhaps a bit of pressure if it's your first or you want a time, all really normal to be feeling a bit stressed at the start line.

We will definately be covering nutrition and generally how to look after yourself (although no medical advice). If you are looking at the boards plan, and considering you are already getting between 35 to 50km per week, then we would not be advising you to go another route as it's well worn by loads of runners and will get you to the start line.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Boxerfan

Hi all

Came across this thread so decided to follow it

Been running since 2014,sometimes very consistently other times not,this will be my 4th time to do DCM,hoping to improve my time. I'm part of a great running club but have struggled to meet up with the club due to various reasons, hoping this group along with the club will help with motivation and structure for training

To raced before? If so what are your PBs? (Date and answer the questions

5km 24mins,2017

10km 54mins 2016/17

10 miles 1.23 2017

Half 1.45 2014

Full 4.01 2014

Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training? (No problem if you do

The odd time,it depends on how tired after work iam( work in a hot kitchen so on my feet for 8 hours!)

How much training do you currently do ? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant to your current fitness level.

Currently run2/3 times a week,averaging about 20 km,although on a push now to get to the 32km for the end of June.Have just finished in a gym where I was for 6 months doing various classes 2/3times per week,along with running 2 times a week,I found this great over the winter months as my running tends to fall off in these months.I do think the strength and conditioning classes have strengthened my legs ,but as I want to concentrate on building up my running legs I've decided to finish with the gym,but am considering doing an online strength video once or twice a week as I feel I need it.

What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time? Or just complete it in no specified time

Iwould love 3.59 as a finishing time

Realistically it will probably be 4.20.I would love somewhere between 4.01-4.09,which where my 2 best marathon times

How many days a week can you train? And what plan do you intend to follow?

I intend to run 4 days a week,lsr,recovery run,easy run,tempo/interval run,.This is what I ran in DCM,2018 and I found this manageable as with work I am very fatigued after a long day in the kitchen plus my nutrition at the moment in work is not great although this is something I'm focusing on at the moment as the lack of fuelling myself for the week is impacting on my energy levels

I am intending on following the boards plan

What is your biggest worry/fear/doubt (if you have any!) in signing up?

Self doubt and lack of confidence in my current running ability

Also I will probably end up doing alot of my lsr on my own and in 2016,this was the case and it was mentally draining,it was my worst finishing time,

Isaid after 2018 DCM,that it was my last marathon but watching it in 2021 I had the gra to go again so I entered the ballot.Running gives me great head space and I really enjoy the structure and routine of marathon training also the buzz on marathon day is unbelievable

Hopefully the above answers give you some insight to my running,looking forward to following The thread

Sibhy

Hi Boxerfan, very welcome to the novices thread. With 4 marathons behind you you've got a lot of experience already which is great but you do have a fair gap between your last outing and now. You're really welcome to join the team, I would just also point out that there is a marathon improvers thread which you could join if you wanted to, it'll get busier as the training kicks off in earnest! However as you have that gap since your last marathon and seem to have had a bit of an up and down experience so far then perhaps the structure and comradery of the group here would suit you best ;-) I'm only pointing this out to give you options, we're very happy to have you onboard.

Like a couple of others in the thread, it's really great to see so much S&C being done. This will really benefit you over the block of training. If you can keep a session a week I think it would be beneficial to you, especially if you have any weaknesses you want to work on (for me it's my calves and my core and I should do more!)

Your pb's are all from quite a long time ago so if you can I'd look to see if you can get a few races in the diary over the course of the summer. There are the ones called out in the boards plans (Fingal 10K, Frank Duffy 10 mile and half marathon) but there are lots of others too. Slotting a couple in over the next 2 months would really help you (and us) gauge where you are at and what kind of training paces you should be work at.

In terms of the build up, I don't know the distances you are running on your 2/3 runs during the week but the advice mentioned earlier about steadily increasing your effort stands true. Over the next 5 weeks see if you can get a consistent 3 runs per week, each week, and in the week before the plan starts you can judge whether you can fit in a 4th short run. This easy approach will give the body time to adjust to the increase load.

With the lsr's, do you know anyone else who runs? Any one in the club who might be running around the same time who you could arrange to meet up with on a couple of occasions? There are usually loads of people looking for some company for the very same reason you are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 kevinfkennedy

Great to find this thread …loads of information & the plans all seem straight forward & somewhat manageable. I’m

attempting first DCM in October. Unfortunately got injured on the run up to last year. So desperate to make this year happen. I’ve downloaded your training plan & hope to start it in the beginning of June. Just a question on the purple highlighted lines for Wednesday’s : what does the w/u & c/d stand for ?

Thank you

Advertisement