Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2010 Dublin Marathon Novices/Sub-4:30 Mentored Thread

Options
  • 05-05-2010 1:22pm
    Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭

After the great success of last year's mentored thread, we've decided to do it again. :)

The intention would be to use the Hal Higdon novice program. This is what the vast majority of the mentored group used last year - but do feel free to look into other programs!

So without further ado, feel free to introduce yourself.
    • Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs? (Date and distance please!)
    • Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training?
    • How much training do you currently do? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant
    • What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time?
    • How many days a week can you train?
    • Why are you running this marathon?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭William72

Fantastic - was hoping this would be done again this year - haven't officially decided to do DCM - told myself I would wait until after Kildare half (this weekend) and decide then but I know I'm only kidding myself - of course I'm going to do it*
      Took my first ever babysteps last May - Only 2 races so far - Rathfarnham 5k last Oct (25:20 ish) and Great Ireland in April (56:19 - damn traffic!)
      No
    • How much training do you currently do? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant
      Following Hal Higdon's Half training pretty much to a tee although I did add a little to my LSR's each week to allow me to do an 11 miler last weekend instead of the recommended 10 miler. So for the last 12 weeks I've been out 4 times a week. Last 4 weeks have been 21/20/21/25 miles
    • What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time?
      I have no idea yet really but I would think a) to finish b) sub 4:30 and c) maybe 4:24?? (think I got that from a calculator somewhere...)
      Currently doing 4 so think I can do that again. Going to take a few weeks "off" after the half though
      Fantastic personal achievement I think - before I started this lark almost exactly 1 year ago I had never, ever done any kind of real physical activity, so a marathon would have been unthinkable, something other people did. Would love to go from that to a marathon (sensibly) :) I started out to lose weight, now that I've done that I reckon I'm just addicted to it.
    *subject to OH's permission of course :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭wicklowwonder

Hey,

Still pondering if I will run the marathon, haven't ran since I was 18/19, I am now 24 but play football but I am no where near as fit as I was when running so my training will really be from a standing start. Plan to start building up runs from Monday or Tuesday next week and then dive into a program from the last week of May/first week of June. Hopefully it will be possible.... Plan to do the training on my own most evenings of the week, however if there was a group of like talented novices in the Dublin region would definitely be interested in running in a group!!

Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs? (Date and distance please!)

not for a few years....

Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training?

Don't intend to hopefully

How much training do you currently do? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant

Very little training over the past 3 weeks as I am travelling but back home Saturday, subject to ash, so really want to give it a go.

What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time?

Finish the race and try get back a hunger for running! sub 4.30 looks like the target I will be sitting from reading different articles online tonight.

How many days a week can you train?

Five-six

Why are you running this marathon?

Always been an ambition and this year I have missed the start of the football season because of travels so want to commit fully to the running while I have no other sports on my plate!

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭rofno1

Thanks Rainbow and all who will help us novices!

Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs? Aware 10k(which was 9k!) 47.10, Great Ireland run 57.02

No

How much training do you currently do? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant
    Run about 16 to 20 miles a week, usually split over 3 runs of 4,6,8 miles with rest day inbetween. Pace is always between 8.40 to 9.30. This week I intend to add in 30 min cycle on one rest day.

Realistic: 4.30-4.45. Dream: 4.00 I reckon I have a 9 min/mile in me but for 26.2miles is the question. So leaving myself plenty of leeway.:o

Well, I started running Sept last to get fit and lose a bit of weight. That was nearly a stone and a half ago. Always wanted to complete a Marathon so decided to man up this year and do it!:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭pab_lowe

Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs? (Date and distance please!) Yes, 47'30'' for 10k Race in March, 38'30'' for 7.6km recently in training 1hr29 for 18k recently in training
    Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training? No
    How much training do you currently do? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant 2-3 runs per week. usually 5.5 k, 7.6 k and a long run, up to 18k long run in preparation for Burren half at end of May. Usually cycle 100-150km at weekends with a group and 50-70 km during week.
    What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time? Judging by my progress to date, a sub 4hr could be possible, would be v.happy with 3hr 50
    How many days a week can you train?Could do something at least 5 days
    Why are you running this marathon? Feels like a natural progression if I manage the half marathon. Would like to maintain the fitness levels i have been enjoying and having a target helps. Always felt it would be a great achievement to do a marathon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

I was going for Cork in June but got some little injuries so i had to pull out.

I have about 200M under my belt this year and started by 18 week build up for Longford on Aug 29 last week.

At the moment i am out 3 times a week with 2 sessions on the bike as i have had problems with shin splints and lower leg pain. But collecting orthtics next Monday i fingers crossed they will help me out.

Just a 10KM before Christmas that was really a 9KM. I did it in 52.46
    No, my longest run to date is 12 Miles
    Three runs, normally 4 miles, 5 miles and a long run from 8 upwards. I also try to get 2 cycles in of 10 and 15 miles.
    4hr 29min 59 sec

4hr 30 min 00 sec
    5 day is enough with 2 jobs, commuting, overtime, an 8 month old son and try to have a life as well
    i looked in the mirror and thought..........holy $hit your fat.......its not just about the marathon, its the 500 miles plus of training along the way.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Can i ask are most people doing Dublin or are there other marathons such as Longford ????

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I think the vast majority will be doing Dublin, but this thread is open to anyone doing an autumn marathon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

After the great success of last year's mentored thread, we've decided to do it again. :)

The intention would be to use the Hal Higdon novice program. This is what the vast majority of the mentored group used last year - but do feel free to look into other programs!

So without further ado, feel free to introduce yourself.

Although i wasnt an all star, can i still jump in? I followed the thread very closley last year as Dublin was my 1st marathon. I wont be back training for it until June (taking a 2 week training break after exams) but sure if its ok il jump right in.
    • I only starting running this time last year but kept pretty active before that. Current PB's
    10mile - 69.44
    Half - 1.29.03
    Marathon - 3.34.xx
    • When i am running it's anywhere between 30-50 miles per week, maybe an very odd week where mileage is slightly above. Cross training: cycling, spinning, aqua jogging, weights and occasionnally do pilates/freestyle fitness yoga - i real;y need to start working on flexibility again
    • Aims/Goals : I want to work my way eventually to a 1:25 half and work my way towards a 3hr marathon. I don't even know if thats possible. I did 1 long run of 18 miles for Dublin last year so i think that if i did a few long ones in the 20-22 mile area i could signifigantly reduce my time. Next marathon goal - 3:20 or 3:15 - depends once im back up training.
    • usually train most week days and am available to train whenever i feel like it at the mo :) - go student life/future unemployment!
    • Having not been in a position to run a spring marathon coupled with the fact that i love Dublin and the marathon experience there was brillant has given me more than enough reason to go back this year.

*highfive* Glad to see you back :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭boccy23

Hi all

Doing the DCM as my first marathon also.

Have you raced before?

First race was the Great Ireland Run (10K) in 57:30.

No. :)

Currently train 5 days a week. Run approx. 30-40KMs per week. Cycle approx. 50-75KMs per week. Swim when I can. I have two Triathlons in the coming month or so.

4:30 is a hope. Dream would be 4:00.

Train 5 days a week at present. No injuries and with longer days, this is achieveable.

I started running to lose weight (lost 10kgs) and to achieve a goal of doing a Triathlon. Have done a Duathlon and will achieve the Triathlons soon. So the Marathon was the next step along and see it as a great goal to achieve.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭OI

In like Flynn

July 2009 - 5 mile - 37:30
    August 2009 - 10 mile - 82:XX
    September 2009 - 10k - 47:07
    September 2009 - Half Mara 1:44:XX
    October 2009 - Marathon 4:30:XX

Nopers

Trying to get out 5 times a week, 5 miles a pop

Desperately wnat to go sub 4 this year

4 - 5

Because I am some kind of freak like the rest of you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭girvtheswerve

A few fun runs or should I say jogs
    Pb's of: 5k - 24 mins, 10K - 54 mins, 5 miles - 43mins, 10 miles - 1hr 45 mins, half marathon - 2hrs 10.

Nope

Run 3-4 times a week, cycle 2 -3 times. Distance running wise would only be about 15 - 18 miles at most. Cycles vary from 30 - 70km. (Currently trying to sort out my knees so no running)

3.59.59. I think this is realistic. Im sure my PB times dont reflect this but Im going to put everything into this attempt.

Running wise, prob 4 days max as Id like to keep up cycling too.

To prove to myself that I can commit to something and achieve the goal I set out for myself.

...And for the tshirt!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Best of luck guys.
    I was involved in last years group and the thread was a real source of motivation. I will probably have another go at the marathon myself this year (injury permitting) though my main goals are the shorter stuff.
    I will definately pop in here to offer support and advice where I can to all novices.
    You have a long road ahead and the sense of achievement when you cross the finish line is something else, but the journey there is the real experience. That's why I found this thread so motivational last year, it's great to be able to talk to people who are going through the same as yourself (your real life friends just won't understand!!).

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭brophya2007

Great idea to get this up and runing again for ths years DCM Novices. I haven't signed up yet for it but will once there's money in the bank.

Have raced a few 10k races - PB of 51:33

No

Run 4 days a week with one day of weights/strength

Dream finishing time would be Sub 4:15 but realistically 4:30

5-6 depending on other plans.

To achieve a monumental goal and to stick to it ths time :)

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭dublinrunner

GIR 10km - 53.45

no

generally 4 days, two of those inclue cross training and weight work in the gym. longest LSR has been 12miles, but doing the kildare half this weekend so that will be my new longest hopefully!!

dream - sub 4...not even sure thats physically possible for me! realistic is sub 4.30

4 at the minute, will prob squeeze in a 5th in the 12 week run up!

Im very goal driven, did a 10k last yr and got the bug, and i can never do anything by halves! So so so looking forward to crossing the finishing line and feeling that sense of pride....i try to remember that on my grueling long slow runs!!

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭southofnowhere

No. First race planned for this weekend. 5k.

No.

Try to run three times a week, one long run at weekend and two other short ones during the week.

I want to finish the marathon. Time is irrelevant to me at this point, maybe I'll get a handle on one once I get a 10k or half under my belt.

I'd say three max as I get serious issues with my lower legs, tendons etc and can't run two consecutive days generally. Long runs require very long recoveries on that front.

Because I want to get fit, I want to lose weight, but most of all I want to work hard and accomplish something worthwhile.

And this will be very hard for me to do for a number of reasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

Last years version of this thread was one of the best things I have been involved with on Boards. RK is also one tough and smart lady and she will keep you all in line :D

The one thing I would say to you all is not to make the mistake of thinking that running a marathon is some sort of super human feat. It's not. With the right training and the right advice anyone (even you!) can do it, even if it feels like you won't be able to at times. Stick to the training and take it one step at a time and you literally won't believe how soon the race comes around, how quickly it's all over and how soon you find yourself planning race number 2!

So good luck to you all and I'll see you in Dublin :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 robandpatrice

First race was Great Ireland Run, Ran it with my wife at her pace and came in at 1:12, reckon I could have ran it in around an hour on my own though.

No.

4 times per week, 4 to 6 mile runs at the moment.

I just want to finish a marathon. Tried to train for DCM last year using a 5month program having never run before. Predictably picked up an injury :rolleyes:. A case of too much too soon. So here I am a year later and want to give it another go working from a better base.
    Would love to do it sub 4:30 and think that's realistic

4-5 days realistically

I've wanted to run a marathon for years. Really want to get fit but I'm the type of person that needs some sort of goal to work towards or I'll loose interest, hoping the marathon will keep me focused.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

To those running their first marathon, remember, you only get to run your first marathon once. ENJOY it. Don't put pressure on yourself. Dublin is a great day out, train well and go out and enjoy. You won't regret it!

Good luck to all.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Dothehustle

have you raced before? If so what are your PBs? (Date and distance please!)
    10k 49.xx
    5 mile 40.16
    13 01:5x
    26 mile 5:30
    done the dublin marathon with a friend and at her pace

No.

usually 3-4 days a week and between 18-25 miles a week

would love to get under the 4 hour mark

4-5 days

since i started to run last year i got the bug and cant stop
    and for the medal :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭OI

^^^^^^ great user name, has me singing already do do do dodo dodo do do

good few in already rk, when are we gonna start getting thrilly with tables, can't believe how excited I am about all this again

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭beamgirl

All from 09, wouldnt get near them at the moment, but working on it!
    5k: 24:57
    8k: 45:xx
    10k: 52:46
    10 mile: 88:38
    Half: 1:59:08

No

Not doing too much at moment, no more than 15 miles a week with longest run 6 miles. Also do hillwalking once a week

Realistically Sub 4:30 and Dream time Sub 4:15

4/5

Started running last year but it fell by the wayside after the summer, was gutted with myself for letting all my work go to waste, not going to let the same thing happen this year

Great to see so many of you interested already! :)
    OI wrote: »
    good few in already rk, when are we gonna start getting thrilly with tables, can't believe how excited I am about all this again

Despite what you said in the pub last year after DCM, I knew you'd be back. :pac: First table will go up this weekend, keeping a track of miles in these base-building weeks before the formal training program starts.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭michellemuncher

Hi, I have been running properly for one year, before that I was a mindless jogger for 3 years. So I have improved a lot in the past year since joining a club (hope that is ok) and I want to push myself as far as I can go, though in a sensible manner. I have come to be passionate about running just lately and have been lurking on boards a lot as I don't have much experience to comment. But I am happy this thread exists, just right for me. Thanks. And now I am publicly committed : S

• Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs?
      2010 Connemara Half Marathon: 2:02:27 Aware 9k, Dec 09 45.55 2mile, April 2010: 14:55
      No
      I currently train 4 days a week but would be willing to put in 5/6 days a week. I do different types of running, ie, speed, hill and tempo. I followed Hal Higdon's Half training roughly for the Connemara half. I cycle around town a lot, probably 20 miles a week. I like to do the odd swimming too. My longest run in training has been 11 miles. My knees have been sore since Connemara but otherwise I have largely been injury free.
      My dream time would be sub 4 hours. Realistically, probably 4.20. But I am not too hung up on times, there is plenty of time in the future for that.
      6 days a week would be physically possible. Mentally I don't know if I would enjoy that much running days. I would rather fit 2 runs into one day. The hair, it takes so long to dry.
      Vanity. See how good I can be. Sense of achievement. Test my mental and physical endurance. I never pushed myself at anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭earnyourturns

Great work RK! I'm deeply, deeply envious of everyone taking part in this thread it was absolutely BRILLIANT last year!

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Dave_

From 09 -
    Adare 10k ~55 mins
    Galway 5k series 25.32 (best) 27:12 (worst)

From 10 -
    Boston - 5k (March)- 24.59
    Boston - 5k (April)- 22.59

No

4 Times Per Week Range from 3 miles to 8 miles(LSR)
    Confident of building up the LSR over the coming weeks

Not doing Dublin but doing want to do an Autumn marathon in the States where I live. Have some options in early October (have this stupid idea in my head that I want to do one before my birthday on the 13th). There is one in New York, Conneticut, and Toronto, all of which I could still enter. Have a half at the end of June in Boston. Will decide which marathon to run after that.

Time. I think with 18 weeks training 4.15 would be possible and realistic. Would love to go under 4 hours though. Will estimate better after the 13.1 in Boston. Also running a 10 miler in New Hampshire at the end of this month.

4 for now and I think 5 is possible after a few more weeks.

Love running and its always been an ambition of mine to do a marathon. Since I've moved to America, Ive less responsibilities and things eating my time, which has meant that running has become a major part of my life again. Also, the multitude of routes and destinations to run in, and the passion for running in this city has been inspiring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Tentatively joining this thread :o I haven't signed up yet but I'll see how training goes and if I can manage to fit it in with kids/ work etc.

Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs?
    5k- May 2010 - 27:00
    10k- Jan 2010- 57.53
    10mile- March 2010- 1:40
    13.1- April - 2.22 (Connemara- the heat got to me and I walked the 2 mile hill from 9=11 miles- otherwise averaged 10 min miles)

Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training? No

How much training do you currently do?

generally 4 days..circa 20miles per week. I'm useless on cross training :o

Dream 4.30/ realistic somewhere between 4.30 and 5.

How many days a week can you train? 4-5 (at the minute it's 4). To move up to 5 may require some treadmill runs (ie sometimes getting out of the house, rather than time, is the issue).

A few years ago I saw an interview with a man who had had a heart transplant and had just run the marathon. Me the couch potato hung my head in shame and vowed to get my fat act together and get in shape and "do that" someday. (Typical midlife crisis stuff!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭meathcountysec

littlebug wrote: »
    Tentatively joining this thread :o

Come back Littlebug, come back from the Dark Side:eek:

How am I supposed to stay ahead of you if you're going to start marathon training?:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

How am I supposed to stay ahead of you if you're going to start marathon training?:(

You know what they say MCS, if you can't beat em.....;)

• Advertisement

Come back Littlebug, come back from the Dark Side:eek:
    Alternatively, you could join us :) :pac:

Advertisement