Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2023 Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Hi Lumen, delighted you are in! Did you answer the questions from the start of the thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,016 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Thanks, sorry! Here you go:

Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs? (Date and distance please!)

HM: 1:42, 1992-ish.

10k: 49:47, 21/05/23

5k: 21:41, 17/06/23

Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training?

No

How much training do you currently do ? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant to your current fitness level.

Recently about 30km/3 hrs/3 days a week running, plus about 4 hours cycling.

What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time? Or just complete it in no specified time?

Complete it but under 4 would be nice.

How many days a week can you train? And what plan do you intend to follow?

I have lots of time but want to try 3 days a week running with 3 days cycling to reduce injury risk and keep it fun.

Training plan here loosely based on boards version of HH novice but restructured to account for my surgery next week.

What is your biggest worry/fear/doubt (if you have any!) in signing up?

Injury.

Why are you running this marathon?

Running is fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭MisterJinx

Great to have you join us Clareview :-) It looks like you have a good routine going and have enough days in the week that you can train to managed the boards plan which is great. I think we're going to rectify that poor experience you had 4 years ago. This plan has got a lot of people across the line and feeling good (well as good as can be expected after running a marathon!)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

I have to say you are very well organised! Any chance you could up the running days to 4?

I can, but I'm afraid of breaking myself by running three days consecutively (Tue, Wed, Thu) particularly as the distances go out. The bike is my safety blanket.

• Advertisement

Why would you have to run consecutive days more than once a fortnight? I'm just aware that the musculoskeletal component needs to build resilience to run a marathon. Cycling and cross training is great for aerobic training but doesn't toughen the body for the challenge ahead. I'd also be concerned about the percentage of weekly running that is made up by the long run on some weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Week 5-11 June was a bit of a lower week in mileage - 22km. Took a rest day on the bank holiday monday after the mini marathon. Got 3km on Tues, 6km Weds and 13km on Sat. Last week then 12-18 June did 31km - 5km Mon, 5km Weds, 16km Sat and 5km Sun. Think I'm going to need to make more of an effort to get out of work on time so I can get to training (Mon & Weds) earlier and get a few km done beforehand.

Well done, you are there in terms of the mileage for starting out. Getting the routine sorted is that next step but I'm sure you'll figure out how to do it. Would you consider getting out before work? It's not my thing but it does work for a lot of other people I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 bc1980

Hi ll, just signed up for DCM23 nd looking forward to it. Great to hear all the advice and struggles along the way!!

Raced, no, almost recently I did tge CCM with a 4.23 which was a PB....I was aiming for sub 4. Went bad around the 18 mile mark

Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training? (No problem if you do)

No

How much training do you currently do ? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant to your current fitness level.

Doing 3 days running and 2 days cross training. Approx 15 miles per week.

What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time? Or just complete it in no specified time?

Main target would be sub 4.

3.30 would be better😃

Can probably get out 5 days. I was thinking of the boards novice or the Hals intermediate. Advice please🙏

Injuries mainly....I am 43

Focus on training and personal achievement

Thanks for the advice

I think the boards and HH novice plans have runs on Tues, Weds, Thu. I was substituting a cycle for Wednesday. You're right though, I could do more.

The thing is, I know I can handle up to about 8 hours a week of aerobic training, but I don't think my legs can handle 8 hours a week of running yet, and strength training is going to be out for the first half of the plan due to surgery recovery, so I'm sort of filling in with cycling until my musculoskeletal resilience improves.

I'd fiddle with the plan some more. I think I can taper the cycling to maintain a fairly consistent 400-450 weekly training load throughout, as the running volume ramps up.

Anyway, thanks for the probing questions.

One question I have is about the length of easy runs. I have it in my head that the ideal length for an aerobic base run is 75-90 minutes (I think I heard this from a physiologist on a podcast somewhere). I see lots of training plans with very short runs, e.g. 30-45 minutes. I understand the need for recovery runs to be very-slow-and-only-long-enough-to-get-recovery, but for base runs where you want a training effect? Is that simply because as noobs our legs can't handle the volume?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Yep running before work is doable for me, there's something about going for a run through the town early in the morning as it's starting to wake from its slumber! I am supposed to be doing my workouts in the morning - but haven't done any in 2 weeks. It's been busy here with the kiddo doing his Leaving, and work with deadlines and leave. Hopefully from the beginning of July things settle down as I'm starting into marathon training.

For novices it's all about getting time on feet to build strength without getting to the point of diminishing returns. The weekly long run will be the big stimulus obviously but the shorter runs help too. It's all to help build towards the peak mileage weeks of the plan.

Great stuff bc180. If you just did CCM what did your training look like? Were you following a plan? Did you do long runs and weekly mileage?

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭MiniMonstera

Hi all, I've not booked a dcm ticket as I'm getting a transfer from someone, hoping it all still pans out now (new worry unlocked!).

Thanks a million for the version of the plan in km's, my brain just won't do miles and I've a bit of discalcula when it comes to conversion.

I did Corkagh last Sunday in 43.34 - it was tough. The heat was something else. I wanted to beat my Raheny 5 mile from January and I did so I'm happy. I hoped to run 5. 10 ish p/km but couldn't manage it, it was like my watch froze at 5.20. Every time I looked down it was 5.20. Very hilly and then the sun was blasting.

I've developed some very minor but new niggles - sole pain and shin pain - things I've not had before - so I'm keeping a watch on those. I peaked a high mileage last week and maybe my body is now feeing the impact of that and is telling me to chill tf out a bit. High mileage + heat + my age = tired body 😄.

Also, in for a colonoscopy on 7th July, so not far in on plan. Anyone know will it put me out for a few days? It's just a day case thing but the few days running up are prep (might affect my wanting to run) and then I heard the sedation has a few days after affect. Hopefully nothing too taxing. 😃

Followed a TCS Improvers 16 week improver plan.

Missed week 3 through being away and week 5 with an injury. Getting in approx 18 miles in before a long run on a Sunday. I have taken about 10 days off training since CCM. Did 3 mile on Sat last and 3 mile yesterday.

Was on target for sub 4 up to 18 miles in the CCM. And something similar in DCM last year- ended up with 4.55😬

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,305 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I had a colonoscopy last year and it didn't affect my training at all. It is a very mild sedative.

The stuff you have to drink the day before is vile though

I did Corkagh aswell and couldn't get near my Raheny 5 time at all. The heat killed me so improving on your Raheny time is a bigger improvement that the clock shows. Well done

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

I'm leaning towards doing the HH plan

I had an issue with my Achilles a few weeks ago that I'm putting down to speed sessions, as I've done a good bit easy running since and issue hasn't cropped up again.

But even without that issue, I definitely preferred the days I had easy runs. I think maybe the Garmin watch contributed a bit to that as it was giving me a speed to hit rather than "run fast" so I felt I was constantly trying to adjust to be in that window

I don't have a time in mind really so doing it well slower would be much more enjoyable than doing it badly trying to hit a specific time

I won't be following the plans probably til the 4th week as I have the half marathon in two weeks.

Best of luck to those who are starting next week!

Based on your training and your goals I think the HH plan would probably be best for you especially considering the issues you've had with the speed work recently. The structure and volume of HH will give you what you need from a speed perspective and get you to the start line and with a good fitness level to complete and enjoy the day :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Tribal Wardfare

Hi All,

I have booked a marathon entry this week. I am looking forward to the support from boards...

This is my first Marathon. I have completed 2 half marathons over the last year (Clontarf in Nov 22 2hrs03 and Limerick in April 23 2hr06) and been running regularly for the past 12 months (with the exception of the last few weeks).

No

I am good with training for the Half marathons but a disaster in between. Last time I was training properly was the Limerick Half Marathon on April 30th. Since then only really doing the 5k park runs on the weekends - time usually around 26mins. This week I have started getting my legs and brain used to going out running again and by Sunday will have 3 * 5k completed

Would love 4.10-4.20 but realistically going for about 4.30

I can train 5 days. 4 days running and 1 day cross training. I am open to training 6 days occasionally throughout. I was planning on the Hal Higdon program as it has worked for me in the past. Since I have been using it, I have not had any injuries.

Definitely injury. I only trained for a marathon once before about 15 years ago. I got to the last long training run and was injured.

I have been really enjoying half marathons this year and I think it is the race distance I enjoy the most. But, it would be nice to get a marathon done and Dublin has great support.

• Advertisement

Hi guys, maybe a silly question but one that had been puzzling me.

I have a reasonably good base training built up from the CCM.

Should i

(a) start at the beginning of one of the training plans

or

(b) Continue training plan during the week but up the long run at the weekend?

@MisterJinx @Kellygirl

Hi bc1980, I’d say it’s no harm to just follow the plan in terms of long runs. Give yourself a break after Cork and enjoy building again. Within 3 weeks you are going to be up to 13 miles anyway ... you are doing the Boards plan I think? It’s still only 3 weeks since Cork and soon enough you’ll be back in the thick of training and long runs and tiring the body again. If your mid week runs are generally more than 3 miles I’d say it would be ok to do an extra mile or two then but give your body the rest it deserves. I think it will serve you better in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 AJ_a_y

Hi all

Been reading last years forum earlier in the year so delighted to see this going again

Started running from a C25K with my local Athletics club a good few years ago on and off, but during Covid I started to run more regular, 2-3 times a week.

I run a good few 5k races and I really push hard to get a good time, that was my real focus (although i never put the proper training in to achieve this) and had no interest in ever doing a marathon until I ran a half marathon last year and loved it. I found it really hard to change my mindset to endurance running and running slower compared to running flat out for 5ks to try improve time but now I'm starting to embrace it and I decided that the natural progression was to do Dublin and now I am really looking forward to it.

Things are busy, my work is blended between on the road/office/home, also a part time business and we have 2 kids under 4, but currently getting my running in during the late evenings, but I will have some morning windows available too during the summer

I'm hoping to do the HHn plan I think it will work for me, my local running club also has some members doing Dublin so I'm hoping to do some of the long weekend runs with them, if the time suits.

• Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs? 5k 21.21 (2022) 22.10 (this year) 10k 48.16 (last month) Half Marathon 1.55 (2022)
    • Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training? No
    • How much training do you currently do ? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant to your current fitness level. I run 3 days a week currently, about 20k, and do pilates one night, hoping to add some cycling.
    • What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time? my goal is to finish under 4 hours
    • How many days a week can you train? And what plan do you intend to follow? I can make 5 days hopefully and will follow the HHn plan
    • What is your biggest worry/fear/doubt (if you have any!) in signing up? no fears, a little doubt about actually managing the time for the training, but I'm confident I can make it work.
    • Why are you running this marathon? I think it would be such a huge achievement and something I would be always proud of.

thanks for reading, looking forward to the journey and all the help and advice from here.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 MECA

Hi again, just wondering… as part of my plan I was going to continue with a weekly interval session at the local club. I’m getting lots of people saying that’s a bad idea when marathon training. What do people think? I was thinking of giving it up for the month before the marathon .. like maybe September on but should I be ditching it earlier now?

ps.. I’m hoping the answer is no 🫣

Hi Meca, I'd something similar last year, interval training on Mondays with the club and I really wanted to keep them in the training. The sessions stopped from about mid July with holidays etc and actually I was glad as the increase in volume and hard interval training might have been too much for me. I think you could do it but you would need to be very sensible with the paces. If there are pace groups then you could drop down a group to keep yourself from going too hard

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Gulp!

Hi everyone. Jumping in at the last minute here in a panic 😂. It has been 16 years since my first (and last) marathon so I think I can safely qualify as a (born-again) novice. I used to be a regular enough poster here and even had a training log but between injury, life, Covid, old age* etc. I never really got my groove back and have been struggling the last few years to get any sort of routine going again. So, thank you Mentors for giving your time and expertise to this Thread. I look forward to getting some much needed guidance.

*51, F

Used to race lots (too much!) but my PBs are from 2014-2016 before it all (and I 😂) went pear-shaped so not really relevant. I've signed up for the Irish Runner 10 miler in 4 weeks. Still not sure if I'll race it or not but it might give me an idea where I'm at if I do.

No, but I struggle a lot in the heat and have to slow down a lot.

Currently 4 days a week running, maybe 5 if I have time. Long run last week was 7 miles. Also one gym session and a few games of tennis.

3:59:59 is the dream. Realistically anything up to 4:30 depending on how it all goes.

5 or 6. The Boards plan suits me better given the variety in it.

Injury and finding the time to fit it all in. It's going to involve some early morning starts to avoid the heat and to make sure I get the runs done.

It's the one distance I feel I never properly tackled and I think if all goes well and to plan it might give me my running mojo back. I need a target and something to focus on.

Thanks again, looking forward to getting started and getting to know the rest of the Novices.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 MECA

Thanks.. yeah I might just have to give it up naturally as time goes on. I’ll stick with them for the next few weeks if I can and see how things go!

Hi all, one more day to training. Can't wait!

I have a busy couple of weeks ahead: kids finishing school so I'll have very little to no free time during the day, it'll probably be evening running for the summer (my husband does the early mornings so not an option). I love evening running so should be grand.

I have a gig this eve and am being collected so under a bit of pressure to have a drink (just a spritzer as my friend called it😆) but I really don't want to. Its tricky because I'm on a path to giving up alcohol entirely but I've not really shared it with anyone as I don't have a drink problem, just bored with it, over it, would rather spend the money on singlets 😁 etc. (I've probably drank twice this year and just one each time, usually to placate somebody). I was planning on driving but my friend insists it's his turn... anyway we'll see. I'll maybe do the buying and stick to AF Heineken without anyone copping it.

I'm off to Brighton next weekend to visit an old pal, should manage to get my runs in on the lovely pier and it'll be cooler there too. When I get back I have the dreaded colonoscopy - hope it doesn't interfere with training too much.

Quick question: I plugged in my recent 5km race result (25.10) and 5 mile result (43.34). I feel the latter, whilst it was still a pb and I was delighted, was not a true reflection of my current ability as I just couldn't give it my all with the heat and humidity. I trained consistently and rigidly for the 5km and couldn't have given more, so I want to use that for my pace calculator. There's not much in the difference so would you say this is ok or would you say be conservative and go with the most recent race (they were both in June so not much time between). I m trying my best to leave my ego at the door, but if I go with the 5 mile time, then the very easy pace is pushing me into 8 minute p/km territory and I just feel that's too slow. Would love to hear your thoughts. Am prepared to have my hand slapped 😁

Just read back over the thread to date and want to extend my thanks again to all the mentors for their time and expertise on this. Its a huge undertaking and I am very grateful 🥰

Hi MM,

I’d go with the 5Km one. There isn’t much difference especially if you aim for somewhere in the middle of the range. After a while you should be able to go by feel … as long as you are being honest with yourself and it really does feel easy or very easy.

Enjoy your night out tonight. I use marathon training as an excuse not to drink … and I know you shouldn’t need one but amazing the amount of people who seem to think it’s strange that you don’t want to. You are busy with young kids every day and you want to feel good doing your daily stuff and then you’ll enjoy your runs more in the evening too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

Depending on what the intervals are, I wouldn't be ruling it out just yet. Are the sessions at the club the same every week or do they vary? You could mix and match them with whatever sessions are in your own plan.

When I was a novice marathoner I would often (with my coach's blessing) jump in a mate's session just to get that added stimulus from training with others. As as you're not doing something *really* crazy like 200's or something, you should be fine 😝

Post edited by healy1835 on

Advertisement