Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM Novices / Sub 4:30 Mentored thread

Options
  • 27-04-2009 10:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭

Greetings, hello and welcome!!!

First things first what I'd like is for everyone who's signed up or been press ganged into this to come in and say hello and give us a little bit of background. Ideally I'd like to know:
    • Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs? (Date and distance please!)
    • Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training?
    • How much training do you currently do? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant
    • What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time?
    • How many days a week can you train?
    • Why are you running this marathon?

Feel free to say as much or as little as you want - this is the place you can come to brag or to bitch between now and October so start as you mean to go on!

In terms of programs it would be nice if we were all on teh same one (though not vital) and I have a couple of options (if neither suit we can make up our own).

First is teh well know HH Novice schedule. They are excellent plans and teh two levels means that the more experienced runners can follow a slightly more demanding plan. They are proven to work and popular enough that people joining through the year may well be on one. 2 days of proper rest and 1 of cross training also minimises injury risk.

The other option is this. Not as well known but I like it a lot. It has more speedwork to keep the experinced runners interested and also to shake things up and vary it a bit (HH is very one paced, it's all just "running"). It's also very flexible - three sessions that you can do whenever you want in the week - experienced or faster runners can run more sessions on top, if you are injury prone or a triathlete you can cross train. If you are new you can just rest :)

As I said we don't all have to be on the same program - let me know your preferences when you post.

And remember, this is all about fun!

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

* Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs? (Date and distance please!)
    I've done 5 races before, 2 5k's, a 5 mile and 2 10k's.
    PBs:
    5k - 26.22 (MSB Paddys Day 5k 2009)
    5 mile - 46.28 (Raheny 5 2009)
    10k - 58.02 (Great Ireland Run 2009)
    * Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training?
    Nope. I haven't used walk breaks since week 6 of Couch to 5k last summer.
    * How much training do you currently do? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant
    This is the plan I'm currently following for a half, slightly bastardised version of the Hal Higdon intermediate plan. Happy to accept all criticism and suggestions. I'm running 4-5 days a week, swimming one day a week, and my long run last week was 7 miles.
    Training log here - I've been keeping this since I decided to enter the Aware 10k at the end of last year.
    * What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time?
    Well the primary goal is just to finish. The absolute dream would be to finish in under 4.30, but realistically I'd be overjoyed with anything under 5 hours.
    * How many days a week can you train?
    Assuming no major changes of circumstances, 5-6 days a week.
    * Why are you running this marathon?
    Partly because it is such a huge goal, it's a huge personal challenge. Also, I'm hoping to build up a much stronger aerobic base from the training so that I can perform better at shorter races. I know that during the Great Ireland Run I felt I was very short on aerobic base and that I could have run a better 10k with a stronger base (possibly 53-55 minutes instead of 58 minutes). If I can build this from marathon training I'd be well pleased.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs? (Date and distance please!)
    Just the one race for me - Half Marathon 1:54
    Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training?
    Nope
    How much training do you currently do? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant
    I average about 4 runs a week and 20 miles per weekWhat do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time?
    Dream finishing time would be 3:45, realistically sub 4How many days a week can you train?
    5Why are you running this marathon?
    Always been a personal ambition
    Have a bit of a niggling pain in right foot for which I was receiving physio treatment before half marathon. He thought it just gets "locked up" after run and that it wasn't a stress fracture of metatarsal. Its not stiff after a run and not that painful, just niggly. Think I should probably find a stretch of grass to train on at least for some of the training but I do love the roads.

In terms of training plans I really like the look of HH Novice 2 and the alternative one you have suggested with the speed workouts. I am veering towards HH2 though as don't have access to bike and I'm not a great swimmer so my cross training alternatives are limited. Anyway I love the buzz of running.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭McConkey

Thanks for this --amadeus-- looking forward to getting stuck in :)

Very little so far, and not pretty

1)Women's mini marathon 2008 10 km 70 min ?sec (ran & walked) No chip

2)Streets of Galway 8-10-2008 (pretty anaemic at the time) 8 km (ran only c. 5 min, walked the rest) Chip 57:28 Gun 58:13

3)Maree, Oranmore 8km 15-2-2009 52.26 (the day the plantar fasciitis struck so was going well at 5k-looking at a 44 min finish time but ended up limping home from 5 km so was disappointed there.

Signed up for Mini marathon again this year and also Achill half in July.

Have done 6.2 miles without stopping a few weeks ago but the last few times I've run I have actually taken some 1 min (approx) breaks but not sure if that is down to giving up the ciggies or what. Have just had a few days off due to sore knees so looking forward to getting back into it tomorrow.

How much training do you currently do? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant

Anything I've done since Jan is in the log and I have a slightly modified HH half marathon plan going on at the moment to see me through to the start of the marathon plan but I am open to changes here.

I have only used the gym to cross-train when I was unable to run after the Maree race but I'm sure I could go there/swim once a week on pay as you go basis-have also considered buying a (push) bike.

All my running is outside, apart from a 1 month membership of the gym. Plan is for running 4 days a week and 1 day cross train-which also can be running. Longest run so far is 6.2 miles in about 1h 5 min; seem to run at a 10 min mile pace). Invested in an exercise mat and ball to try strengthening up knees and doing some proper stretching. (This week supposed to do 16 miles)

Diet is far from ideal so advice there would be appreciated also; current BMI 20.8 so will be interested to see what happens to that as training intensifies. Body fat was calculated at 28% in the gym :eek: :confused:Put weight on since I started running-but I eat a lot of junk.

What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time?

Like Rainbow, finishing is the main goal but would definitely love to get around in the 4.30 but I'm not sure if that is possible as I seem to be stuck around the 10 min per mile mark. Anything under would be a bonus. McMillan puts me at over 5.5 h with a 10 min pace so I definitely need to work at it. The pace I'm hoping to do in this years Mini marathon brings me a lot closer to my goal....it will tell a lot.

How many days a week can you train?

5-6 should not be a problem I hope.

Why are you running this marathon?

Was lucky enough to see some of the London marathon on a visit there a couple of years ago and I was amazed at the eclectic bunch that were running it and decided I want to do that-then promptly forgot about it. Enjoyed reading the Dublin race reports so much last year so I decided that this is a scalp I'm going after. I am hoping to improve my stamina and endurance as well as diet and would like to keep up the running into the future so this would be my baseline.

I am in posession of a Garmin 305 and would be interested in posting up running data if I knew how/if there was any point

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Munster_Gal

Hey
    I'm gonna get properly started this week. (working 12 hours at the moment so not much energy to do anything). Should be buying a treadmill this week so will be training with a vengence by the end of the week :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭Mr Marenghi

Frank Duffy 10 mile -July/Aug 08 - 1hr 42mins
    Adidas Half Marathon - Sept 08 - 2hrs 1min
    Great Ireland 10k Run April 09 - 50mins

No

About 4 days a week. I usually just do a 4/5mile run in the Phoenix Park, always about 9mins per mile. Once a week I might make it a 6 or 7mile, depending how I feel. I dont do any sort of cross training, im not even sure exactly what it is.

What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time?
    Would definitely like to be under 4.30. I just want to be fit enough to do it and enjoy it, not struggling all the way. Maybe also improve my speed, regardless of how fit I get or increase my distance I always seem to be 9mins per mile.

6/7 usually- Sundays can be dodgy some weeks

I never played sport, have no interest in it. I discovered running as a way of keeping fit last summer and suprised myself by loving it. This year I decided i'd achieve the ultimate running goal, a marathon, simple as that !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭uglyjohn

good luck all of you. hope the training goes well and you all stay injury free.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭Sub430

Hi team!

Firstly I would like to say how much I am looking forward to this, I have bee training on my own for the last month so it will be good to have virtual training partners.

I ran the Dublin Half in 2007, 2hr 10. I had intended to run the full marathon that year but tore ankle ligaments playing football.
    Nope.
    • How much training do you currently do? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant
    Following Hal Higdon Spring training so currently run Tues/Wed/Thurs with a long run on the Saturday and some cross training on the Sunday.
    So far the longest training run has been 4 miles last Saturday. This will build up to 6 miles before the Novice Program begins.
    • What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time?
    I would be over the moon to get round in under 4 hours, delighted with under 430 and happy just to finish.
    As a challenge to myself, I was quite fit in my youth but let things go throughout college. In my 30s now so want to get back to a decent level of fitness plus it will keep me out of the boozer! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭Arcee

Hi everyone,

Am a late-comer to the other thread about DCM mentoring, just pm'd amadeus today! I'm pretty much a total novice, having been quite fit in my youth and then sporadically jumping from runner to couch potato and back again for the last few years :D

Am going to join in the fun as the DCM as always been a long term goal but I realise I'm starting from scratch in terms of my current fitness so am just gonna do my best with the training and see what happens :) I'm going to take a phased approach and aim for the race series events in the phoenix park during the summer months and hopefully continue training for the big one if they go ok :)
    Did the women's mini marathon in 2006 in 65 mins. No other races so I guess that's the only frame of reference I have so far!
    Yes. I've just started a brisk walking/jogging combo in the last 2 weeks.
    Right now am walking/jogging 3 days a week for about 30 mins per session but will either move that up to 5 next week or keep it at 3 and extend the times. Am doing no other forms of training yet.
    Really I just want to make it in under 5 but might change my answer as the training progresses :D
    From next week, 5-6
    A few reasons - I love a good challenge and it's on my "things to do before I die" list, I want to get back to a good level of fitness but need a proper goal to motivate me, my dad ran 5 DCM's and never shuts up about it :D

Am really looking forward to doing this, and particularly to having a bit of a support network during the training and I want to say thanks to Amadeus for the great idea and for giving your time mentoring everyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Hi all, thank a million Amadeus for doing this, we are a very privilaged bunch to be receiving this kind of help. However I'm a bit scared by the whole idea. Im very determined to complete the DM but I feel I will be lucky if I get there in 5 hours.

But what the heck- I'll give it my best.

Have you ever raced before? If so, what are your PBs?
    I have completed 9 races. Eight have been 10ks and one 7k. My best 10k was 62 minutes and my aim for this year was to bring that down under an hour until I got injured.
    I really felt that I could have done this as that 62 minute 10k was achieved under difficult conditions- I was late and had to run 2k to start line, just made it for the gun, was bursting to pee 10 minutes in and had to stop in a pub, find the toilet and wait in a queue before doing the necessary and rejoining the field!!

Do you still need to take walking breaks in your training?
    Yes and I dont think this is going to change for a while. I really dont see myself running the entire marathon this year. I have my sights set on doing something like 10minutes running 1 minute walking. At the moment Im doing 3 minutes running and 3 minutes walking in my training
    The walking breaks were mainly to help my ITB recover and I still worry every time I run that I may strain it again. But it has been nearly 2 months since I have felt real pain with it so I would presume that its more a psychological thing than physical thats holding me back.

How much training do you currently do?
    I'm on Week 5 of HH Spring Training. I have managed to do most of the perscribed runs so far. So at present I do 3-4 runs a week and walk for cross training every Saturday.

What time do you want to achieve?
    Just like Rainbow and McConkey the main aim is to finish. Reslistically I think it will take me over 5 hours but I would love to finish around the 4:30 mark.

How many days a week can you train for?
    At the moment its a struggle to train more than 4 times a week. Trying to get a babysitter so I can go for a run can be difficult. However in the summer I am moving and my new place has a gym so I should be able to train at least 5 days a week no bother.

I have taken up so many other activities in the past and have never stuck with them. Running is the first thing I have done in which I can see real in your face dramatic improvements and I love it. I mightn't be the best at it- but that doesnt matter.

I see the marathon as somthing which will stay with me for the rest of my life- if I can achieve this, imagine what else I could do!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

Excellent!!

Thanks for the responses, good group here and a nice range of abilities without stretching it too far.

Based on what you have all said I think the HH programs are better - the Furman one includes a lot of dedicated speed sessions and I'm not sure we're up to that yet (though we might chuck a couple in later on :D)

I'll map out the date and timelines later today or over the weekend so that we know when we are starting but we're not quite there yet. The HH program starts off with a 6 mile long run on the first weekend so could I ask that all of you do a 4 miler this weekend for me and get back on here and let me know how you get on? If you are already planning a longer run that's fine, if you're not up to 4 miles yet then do what you can do and we'll map out a plan to get you to 6 by the time the program starts.

Specifically I'd like to know:
    • How long it took - remember though this isn't a time trial, run it easy, we just want your baseline pace
    • If you had to take any walk breaks
    • How it felt!

Recruits, on teh left, quick run!!

• Advertisement

Great, at least a four mile on the plans for Sun. Will post then, cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭Sub430

Quick run sir? Not yet sir, still slow jogging SIR!
    • How long it took - remember though this isn't a time trial, run it easy, we just want your baseline pace
    • How it felt!
    4 miles last Saturday - took 40 minutes, no breaks, felt fine with a steady 10 min mile pace throughout.

Oh god...its my30th tomorrow so a weekend of booze filled bebauchery is about to occur. A good 4 mile run will help sweat the vodka out of me im sure :D

Bally8 wrote: »
    Oh god...its my30th tomorrow so a weekend of booze filled bebauchery is about to occur. A good 4 mile run will help sweat the vodka out of me im sure :D

Happy bday bally8, 'tis a tough taskmaster would make u run on w'end of your 30th bday, I admire your committment

• How it felt!
    Ran 4 miles for my run on Tuesday. It took 40 minutes, which was with a bit of deliberate slowing-down due to having a thumping headache. That run would normally take me about 37-38 minutes.

No walk breaks, though the Knocklyon biddies out walking seemed to want to force it by clogging up the entire path. :mad:

It felt fine, though I felt quite tired afterwards. After what happened yesterday in the gym (see my log) I'm a little worried that I'm coming down with something.

Scheduled long run this Sunday is 7 miles.

I admire your committment

Ha ha we will see how it goes. Any chance I could do that 4 miles on Monday? I might be starting to recover by then!

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Have you raced before?
    Done a handful of events in the last few months.
    If so what are your PBs? (Date and distance please!)
    Feb 10k 47.55
    April 10k 48.02 (very crowded event :))
    April Half marathon 1.45.24.
    Nope
    I run usually 3-4 times a week, distance varies from 5k to 11k. I do weights and other cardio at least two days a week also. Currently training for Tough Guy summer, which requires strength and power as well as endurance, so think it conflicts a bit with marathon training. I have a log over in fitness.
    What do you want to achieve?
    This is my well earned mid life crisis. I want to see how far and how fast I can go.
    Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time?
    Dream: 3.29.00 Realisitic if I work at it: 3.59.00
    6. I suffer from burnout every few weeks though, and keep getting ill. Thats what I need help with.
    I wasnt going to take on a marathon this year, and still havent signed up for it. But since the half I did, I realise its not as far off as I thought. Am nervous about putting my name down as I wont be able to train solely for it till August, even though I will be training hard in a different way up till then anyway.

I am dreadful at keeping to programs, as family life seems to get in the way, and sometimes my training cant start till late at night or has to fit in a handy hour before the school run. Which makes any rigid program impossible.

Any and all feedback on whether I should sign up and join yiz is welcome.

Oryx, I think u should go for it, your times are fantastic, I would love to be at those levels, I like the idea of us pushing each other along aswell, I have to do late night runs aswell but they are nice in their own way, you defo have the fitness levels to do it though, I reckon anyway

Yes Sir!! :D Although I expect at my current level It will be more of a walk interspersed with a few mins of running :o Have it penciled in for Sunday and will report back quick sharp!
    Bally8 wrote: »
    Ha ha we will see how it goes. Any chance I could do that 4 miles on Monday? I might be starting to recover by then!

Happy birthday Bally8, enjoy the celebrations and let us know if you set a new hangover personal best :)
    Oryx, I think u should go for it, your times are fantastic, I would love to be at those levels, I like the idea of us pushing each other along aswell, I have to do late night runs aswell but they are nice in their own way, you defo have the fitness levels to do it though, I reckon anyway

Hey Oryx, you should definitely give it a try - having a few people all aiming for the same goal is a real motivator. Just take it day by day and enjoy it. I'm nowhere near your times or fitness levels but am giving it my best anyway :D

Arcee wrote: »

Hey Oryx, you should definitely give it a try - having a few people all aiming for the same goal is a real motivator. Just take it day by day and enjoy it. I'm nowhere near your times or fitness levels but am giving it my best anyway :D
    Just so you know, I started running in August (doing walk/run intervals) last, and only really began to train hard in October. So it doesnt take long to see results from it. Good luck with your training. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭Mr Marenghi

Did my 4 miles, felt good, took about 39/40mins and no walk breaks.

Felt fine afterwards, no problems at all !

Mission report: 6.7 miles this morning, 57 mins 25 secs, I started out nice and easy but pushed myself for last mile or that, enjoyable run in the sun

• How it felt!
    Ok 5.5 miles covered today, four running followed by 1.5 walking as I didn't want to kill my knees on the first day back (again).

-4 miles took 39 min 30 s.....I only seem to have one pace (slow)
    -Slowed to a walk for about 30 s going up a fairly big hill, otherwise kept jogging
    -It felt ok, felt I was getting more and more tired as I went on but the times were balanced out due to some up and down hills I suppose.

Walked another 1.5 miles after just to get in the miles and test out some new insoles I got in Elvery's....I like. Knees feel ok after today :) Overall 1 hr 1 min for a distance of 5.5 miles

Scheduled long run this Sunday is 7 miles...
    ...which was done in 72-ish minutes and felt relatively comfortable. Felt like there was more left in the tank at the end, looking forward to an 8-mile long run next weekend.

Full mission debrief when later but cracking effort from you all :)

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Triangle

Have you raced before?
    Nothing since about 17 years ago in school :)
    No
    I'm running about 4-5 days a week, generally the long run at the weekends and 1/2 that distance during the week. I'm up to 7 miles on the weekends at the moment with 3 or 4 mile runs during the week.
    I also try and get in swimming one or two times a week (never more than 6 sessions in total a week)
    What do you want to achieve?
    I had hoped for a 3:45 - 4 hour time, not sure if this is a realistic time to aim for but what the hell!!
    6 days a week but i'd prefer to make some of it non running. My Plan at the moment is max 5 days running a week.
    Always wanted to do one, two years ago a work mate did the Belfast and gave me a bit of motivation. This is the year.

My 7 miles was done in 65 Minutes, so i have some work to do on the time - hopefully i'll get there before October :)

Arcee wrote: »
    Happy birthday Bally8, enjoy the celebrations and let us know if you set a new hangover personal best :)

Thanks Arcee- yes it most definately was a new hangover personal best. I have never felt as ill as I did yesterday.

Sorry Amadeus- still no 4 mile run to report on. Will try my best to do it later today if I can get a sitter. Will be back on track with Week 6 of Spring Training tomorrow though.

Did a four mile treadmill run on sat, hate the bloody thing :) but 36mins. Gives no real idea of pace, but twas handy enough. Did a run yesterday, between 10 and eleven miles, 1h 30. Doin longer runs to build distance ability, but no real plan goin on. Did 5 miles today, again handy pace, 42 mins. I seem to be slowin down, and improvin pace (or stoppin it getting worse) is something i need advice on. Cheers :)

Well, I did my 4 miles at the weekend in 53 mins :o - 42 walking and 11 running. I ran in 1 or 2 minute blocks in between a few mins walking. Up until now I have only been covering 2.5 miles at most so this is the longest distance I've done since I started training a few weeks ago. The only difficulty I had was the crazy wind - the 2 miles on the way out were fine but on the way back it was so strong that when I was running into it I honestly felt like I was standing still at some points :eek:

I'm going to be starting pilates once a week from next week onwards so hopefully that will help with strength. Not sure if I can count pilates as cross training or should I see it as a rest day? It's tough on the muscles but not exactly exhausting overall so I'd be inclined to view it as a rest but I'm not sure. What do you guys think? What kind of cross training are ye doing?

• Advertisement

Finally catching some time to get back in here!

Well done to you all - good running..

Name|Distance|Time|Pace
    Sub430|4|40|10
    Rainbow|7|01:12:00|10:17
    Mr Marenghi|4|40|10
    osnola ivax|6.7|57:25:00|8:34:11
    McConkey|4|39:30|9:52:30
    triangle|7|01:15:00|00:10:43
    oryx|5|00:42:00|00:08:24
    Arcee|4|00:53:00|13:15
    Bally 8|To the pub|Until closing|Several pints an hour

the official program isn't starting until week ending 28/06/09, which gives us 18 weeks of training prior to the marathon. so we have a few weeks to faff about until then. The emphasis should be on keeping it light but on getting to a point where week 1 won't be a shock to the system, what I'd appeciate is if you could all check in once a week and say what you're planning and what you've done.

And here's one I'd like you all to try, if you get a chance - Yasso 800's

Basically do 10 * 800m (twice round a standard track). Don't kill yourself but try and run each one at teh same speed - your last one should be within a few seconds of your first. Rest as much as you need between reps (active rest, walking or jogging is better than stopping dead).

the theory is that your time for each 800 will be roughly in line with your marathon time - eg if you do 800m in an average of 4mins30secs then you're in line for a 4hrs30mins marathon. They get a lot of good press and some negative but it'll be a bit of fun. :) If you could do it over the next week and post back here there is a big virtual gold star for recruit of teh week for the best performance!

Advertisement