Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2023 Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Louis 2018

All good points above 👍

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Louis 2018

I might just delete that Garmin post so 😬🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 10,427 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

No need, it's been quoted anyway so best to leave the discussion as it is.

DELETED

• Registered Users Posts: 15 AJ_a_y

Had a good first week, probably the first time I ran 4 times in a week, got just over 30k, did 3 5ks and a 15k at the weekend,

the problem is I ran them all too fast, so the focus will be to bring the speed down, I'm around the 5.30 mark, need to get used to running slower, hopefully this week will be better, but going on holidays next week so it will be tough to get the runs in, especially the weekend one but hopefully it will come together if I have to swap a couple of days around and push out the LSR

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭MiniMonstera

Marathon pace in the Boards plan today, Haven't a clue what that is for me. If we're saying 90 seconds off Easy Pace then, 6 mins p/km maybe? Could I realistically do that for 42km? I could just about hold 5.03p/km for the 5km race, at all out. Anyway, I'm terrible for knocking my own ability, maybe I can do it!

I'm afraid to look at Garmin metrics now! Not great with numbers but was slightly familiar with the garmin info, Now it's been shot to sh1t 🤣🤣🤣 oh well

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Hey there J. Do marathon pace at the pace you think is realistic for 42k. Easy pace being 90 secs slower than MP assumes that you reached your easy pace by adding time to your expected MP. It is also an approximate number and is per mile, not km

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,306 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Finding your easy pace is very important. For my plan I was doing 7 min + kilometres which was virtually walking for me. It was tough to get used to it but the point is that it gets you used to being on your feet for long periods without having an adverse impact on your body.

Even during my marathon I was constantly having to remind myself to slow down in the first 20 miles as I am much more used to 5km running. I was tending to run as fast as I was comfortable with which was too fast to complete 42km.

My only advice is to just trust the plan

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Tribal Wardfare

I am a bit late with my week 1 summary but here it is...

Did you get in all the runs on your plan - if not, then why not? Yes, I did them all. I had to swap Thurs and Wed due to work commitments but was proud of myself for not just ditching the Wed run when I was busy. It is good to have this group as a voice in my head telling me it is better to do a shorter slower easy run than nothing and did something in the evening. Caught up with the Stride run on Thursday instead. I did 6 days running with 1 rest day.

Did you run the easy runs at an appropriate pace? Not as slow as I should and probably about 15-20 seconds too fast still. But I am happy and trying to learn to go a little slower. It is a work in progress and Week 2 long slow run this Saturday should really show.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Clarecarrick

• Hi 👋 just found this thread and have been glued to the posts all day!! Running years but never more than 5k up until last summer when I started training for the Dublin half, this ended in me jumping on a marathon place and completing the DCM 2022. Was lucky to secure a place for this year and I started my training for DCM 2023 on 19/6/23.
    • Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs?
    • DCM Oct 2022 - 4hrs 45m
    • Half Marathon 30/4/23 - 1hr 56m
    • 10k 18/5/23 - 53.06
    • 5k 24/6/23 - 25.41

• Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training?
    • No

• How much training do you currently do ?
    • 4 days running
    • 1 strength session
    • 25-35km per week

• What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time? Or just complete it in no specified time?
    • Sub 4hrs

• How many days a week can you train? And what plan do you intend to follow?
    • 4 runs & 1 strength is all I can commit to - I think I probably land in between both plans in terms of mileage I’d like to do, but as I cannot commit to the amount of days on the boards plan I should probably follow the novice plan? Advise welcome on this
    • What is your biggest worry/fear/doubt (if you have any!) in signing up?
    • Had a lot of trouble with my knee last year before and during the marathon, worried this will happen again. It was however my first and I was running 3 times a week, most of the mileage on my long run and no strength training.

• Why are you running this marathon?
    • Was offered a race num last year at the last minute, not really prepared for the huge undertaking that is a marathon and not in my own name, so this will be my official first on paper.

Post edited by Clarecarrick on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 kevinfkennedy

How week 1 went for you...

• Did you get in all the runs on your plan - if not, then why not? 
    • Yep all runs in, great week and long may it continue. 34.5km total for the week.
    • Did you run the easy runs at an appropriate pace?
    • Yes ... I think this new concept of running slower will pay in the long run. I find the accountability of the Strava group brilliant.
    • Blast off week 2
    • The old dog for the long road.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Hi all, great to see this thread really taking off and all the running happening. I’ve been away and not really online so a bit to catch up on. Hope you are all enjoying the slowing down!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Yes it's great to see! The slowing down is going pretty well though there is someone gone rogue who I have set my eyes on! 🤣 Another week of it and I'll be outing them 😄

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

A question - or 2 - about next week's (Boards) plan please. I'm not doing the Fingal 10K but the following week (Sunday 23rd) I'm down to do the Irish Runner 10 mile.

Does it make sense for me to do the Week 4 LSR (13 miles) this week and replace that with the 10 miler. I'd be aiming to do the 10 miler at MP (or happy to go slower if that''s what's recommended) ? Does that sound ok or are there other adjustments I should make ?

Thank you.

Hi Bungy Girl,

Yes, I think that’s fine to do …the 13 miles for week 3 and your 10 mile the next week. Enjoy!

I’ve booked two races in this training block. Irish runner 10mile on the 23rd July and the Dublin half marathon in September.

Question for the experienced runners. Do I try these at marathon pace or will that be risky in terms of injury risk and lack of recovery time mid training block?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

Well it depends on what you want to get from the races. You can use them as MP sessions/LRs or treat them as races. If your knee is holding up well I would suggest that racing them both might provide a big boost to your own fitness.

There's a good thread on here on whether or not to race a HM during a marathon block. But seeing as this is your first real rattle at it, I'd say go for it. My first ever race was the Frank Duffy 10 Mile during my first marathon block and it was a great learning experience. Some of those learnings were then put into practice for my second ever race, the Dublin Half Marathon!

I personally wouldn't advise too many (any) MP miles in a Novice block. I think the better option would be to pick a target for the 10 Miler, race it, and then see where things lie afterwards. And remember to enjoy the process 😁

Thank you 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭MisterJinx

I agree with healy here, race experience for novices can't be underestimated. I raced the 10 mile and half last year and found it very beneficial for both the race experience and getting to know my paces better for the marathon.

This year again in doing both and I've thrown in the 10k in Fingal. These are to get me to know my current fitness level and work out my paces.

If you haven't raced much it's good to know how to manage the race day nerves, what kit you are comfortable wearing, how to pace a race and practice fuelling on the line ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭mutley18

Hi all! Can someone please tell me what is the difference in an easy run and a recovery run? Or are they just the same? Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,016 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Recovery run should be as light as possible (zone 1, which might be walking) and as short as possible (30 min max, but shorter is fine) to get the intended effect which is to unwind and signal to the body that actual training is coming.

Easy run is aerobic training to go faster and further, but done slowly, zone 2 effort at conversational place. It should be somewhat fatiguing but little enough that harder training is possible the next day (or sooner, for well trained runners).

My OH asked me this yesterday. I described it to her as a recovery run is a short run around the block where you are just getting the legs moving with no pace in mind, super easy after a previous hard day. So after a session or lsr (which is a session in itself) a recovery run is just to get the legs loosened out and moving again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭mutley18

Thanks folks!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Week 2 completed ! Ran 6 days for a total of 26.1 miles. Thought the 10 miles would never end today I was so slow, normally I'd have been tempted to speed up to get it over and done with but I stuck to the plan. I did enjoy the MP miles earlier in the week, not sure about 23+ more though 😂. I got to the gym once and had 2 games of tennis, cycling to the courts and back. I'm off work next week so should have no problem fitting the runs in. I'll be doing the 13 mile LSR from Week 4 this week instead of the 10K so I can fit in the Irish Runner 10 mile race the following week. Best of luck to everyone doing the 10K in Swords - hope all goes to plan!

Did the lsr today, as was out of action Friday (and unexpectedy Saturday too). Today was hot but grand, kept my pace slow. I had a colonoscopy Friday eve, having hugged the toilet bowl from 6am that morning doing the "prep". After the procedure, still high, I asked could I go for a solitarty run along the canal later. It was a resounding NO!! from my consultant and his care team. LOL, Fentanyl is wild.

Hopefully I get to stick to the full plan next week. I'm a bit rigid like that.

Great to see all the repots coming in of your weeks training and the chat over the last few days on the thread with questions and debate. Keep it all coming in and keep us up to date on how it's going.

It looks like most of you are settling into the routine and rhythm of your respective plans. Those of you following the Boards plan had a crack at your first pace run which I hope went well.

Let us know how you got on. I’ll repeat the homework from last week and ask you to answer the following questions in relation to week two:

- Did you get in all the runs on your plan - if not, then why not?

- Did you run the runs at an appropriate pace?

For week 3, we have the first of the race series - the Fingal 10k:

Plan | Monday | Tuesday | Wednesday | Thursday | Friday | Saturday | Sunday

HHN1 |rest | 3m easy | 4m easy | 4m easy | rest | rest | Fingal 10k

Boards | rest,cross or 3m rec | 3m easy | 1m w/u, 4m PMP, 1m c/d | 3m recovery |rest | 3m easy | Fingal 10k

Best of luck to anyone racing the 10k this weekend. As per the plan, you can give it socks! I don't have any knowledge of the course route myself, but I'm sure someone will drop by with some detail on what to expect. If you're racing somewhere else, please let us know too. For those doing the Boards plan I would suggest you take the Monday after the race as a rest day as the mileage will be increasing that week. 

For those not racing, here is your plan for the week ahead:

Plan | Monday | Tuesday | Wednesday | Thursday | Friday | Saturday | Sunday

HHN1| rest | 3m easy | 4m easy | 4m easy | rest | 7m LSR | Cross

Boards |rest,cross or 3m rec | 3m easy | 1m w/u, 4m PMP, 1m c/d | 3m recovery | rest| 10m LSR |3m rec

As always, if you miss a run let it go and don't go chasing the lost miles.

For the boards crew it's a return to planned marathon pace miles for the midweek session. PMP is not set in stone at this stage, so keep it realistic to where you are now, not some potential goal pace, it will dial itself in over the course of the plan.

Well done to all for the progress made so far, and good luck for the week ahead!

So, if a recovery run is to be under 30 mins and very easy, which could even be walking as @Lumen pointed out, I wouldn't be able to achieve the 3 miles in that time frame, well I would but it would be at a tempo pace for me. Am I missing something?

If you Google you’ll see that you’ll get answers of anywhere between 20-40 mins or 3-5 miles. Either way the main point of recovery runs is to get the blood flowing to the muscles to aid recovery. I often find on a recovery run it takes me a good 2 miles to even warm up or lose stiffness anyway and I enjoy the 3rd mile most. I think stick to the plan and do the 3 miles but having said that, if you feel really tired then don’t push it. Remember it also also says you can rest or cross train too.

Ok great. I'd get 3 miles done in a little under 40 min at easy pace. Would rather maximise the time than come out of easy zone 👍🏼

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

On the question of recovery run vs easy run paces. I'd be more flexible on the easy pace than the recovery pace. Even if I'm feeling good when I'm heading out for recovery runs, I won't push the pace. A simple rule of thumb would be that your legs should feel better at the end of the recovery run then the start of it! Don't be conscious of running very slow and having people who you might usually be quicker than pass you by. One of the fastest runners here on Boards (sub 2:30 marathoner) would often trundle around on a Monday at 6min/km pace. As the weeks pass by you're probably figuring out where your Easy pace range lies, so let that guide your recovery pace.

Advertisement