Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Frasier sequel ordered to series **Spoilers**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,469 ✭✭✭squonk

I don’t know about episode 4 being the return to quality people were saying. I don’t see it. episode 3 was much better IMHO. I will say I suppose the show is a bit more grounded after that episode but, really, it felt very poor and could have been an episode in any throw away sitcom only there were a few Frasierisms thrown in. David needs to go. Full stop. I said it before, there’s literally very little to laugh at a man with seemingly special needs. The firehouse didn’t do it for me either. A Boston firehouse crewed by 4 fire fighters? Yeah right. I bought the radio station in the original being stsffed by a skeleton crew because that seems normal for radio. I don’t know. It’s just not great and I was hoping for more after hearing about episode 4 being the turning point.

Post edited by squonk on

• Registered Users Posts: 17,260 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

After watching this Frasier Pills: Season 6 - YouTube its made me realise all the more how this show needs Niles, such a perfect comedy duo

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,178 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

I'm enjoying it enough to keep going with it for now. The first thing I noticed was the canned laughter. I don't mind it. I haven't watched anything with canned laughter in years. It made me feel a bit nostalgic for some of the great 90s shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭larchielads

The quiz episode, a buck fifty for a brandy!!! Where were these bars when i was in boston???

• Registered Users Posts: 4,395 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

I'm fairly sure it was $152 with a tip because he took away a note when she was being smart and said 151.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,178 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭larchielads

I know theyre meant to be loaded but payin 150 dollars for a shot of brandy??!!! Then to give a measley 2 dollar tip!!

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭piplip87

Just watched the fifth and it's the best so far. Really good episode and really has the Frasier of old feel to it. Nicholas Lindhurst is actually very very good in this..

Agreed, really liked that episode and as you say NL actually played it well as well - still hated when they cut away to the kids, just feels so forced to have that youngsters comedy aspect

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Starting to find it's feet now, actually enjoying it a bit now.

Yeah this weeks Rosie was a classic kind of Frasier setup. I did enjoy it. The kids need to be stronger but they didn’t grate as much as earlier on either

• Registered Users Posts: 12,216 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Really enjoyed this episode.

The dynamic between the two works very well. Very funny and some good moments in it.

Actually liked Olivia in this one. Find her quite annoying.

Very little David in this one. Which is good

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,265 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

It's a little telling that the second good episode uses Grammer and Lyndhurst as the primary dynamic once again. The younger characters are a lot less annoying at least.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭head82

I'm only three episodes in and it's just not doing it for me. But as most posters here say it improves, I'll stick with it.

I've been struggling to figure out why it's failing to bring a smile to my face and this morning while watching old episodes.. and chuckling out loud!.., I think I've figured it out. The canned laughter has always been there but seems more noticeable in the new episodes and the reason it stands out is because it's injected at moments that aren't particularly funny! As much as the old characters are greatly missed, the show still retains the original writers (I think) and I've noticed director James Burrows name pop up a few times. You'd assume this would compensate somewhat for the lack of original cast members but not so.

While watching those old episodes this morning it dawned on me.. Niles constant leering over Daphne, Roz's promiscuity, making fun of people with big noses, stereotyping of the English working class etc., are deemed not acceptable these days.

As much as I hate using the 'W' word ('WOKE' for anyone who's wondering), I fear Frasier has become a victim of modern sensibilities.

While watching those original episodes way back when, I never thought I'd see the day when the humor of Frasier would be considered 'edgy'.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,814 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

A lot better than I expected

• Registered Users Posts: 9,698 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Best episode so far and one that wouldn't be out of place in the original.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,265 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I wouldn't say best but it definitely felt more like classic Frasier than the others. The farce, multiple dates and confusion are all there. Also notable that Eve has a small role and David is nowhere to be seen.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

It's getting a lot better, enjoyed the last couple of episodes.

Best episode so far - more like the Niles/Frasier one upping each other episodes

I liked the fact that they didn't feel the need to have EVERYONE involved, just set it up and then have the Cranes go with it, in a similar episode at the start every character had a part and it was all wrong in my opinion.

Much more like the show I loved back in the day this episode. Rodney’s side plot was entertaining but Frasier and Fredrick and there dates was great. No David! Great as the character adds nothing. Hopefully the show is on its way up now.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭JeffreyEpspeen

Is Frasier going out with women the same age as the ones he had relationships with 25 years ago?

There was that actually. I let it slide for artistic proses but there is a whiff of lecherous grandad there if you think about it. KG is holding well for his age but it would have looked better with an older woman as his date, though I guess that was part of the plot really.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,216 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Ah that was good fun

Especially the ending, when they both wanted to go out with him initially and he was delighted lol

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

The Lilith episode is fantastic. I hope she features more. There's a brilliant dynamic between them

Advertisement