Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Frasier sequel ordered to series **Spoilers**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,310 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

I am concerned they don't put as much thought into it in writing it, as I used to and will in consuming it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,961 ✭✭✭✭bnt

There are quite a few drink-related jokes in the first two episodes. It's not a spoiler to say that Frasier is a bit less snooty now, less inclined to throw a fit i.e. he'll drink beer at Mahoney's and fine wine at home.

Meanwhile, is anyone else annoyed at the character of David, Niles' son? It's like they took the worst traits of Niles Crane and Sheldon Cooper (TBBT) and slammed them together head-first.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 13,307 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Looking at some of the UK reviews, it seems to have been received well by both The Guardian and the Daily Express.

Frasier review – Kelsey Grammer is as perfect as ever | Frasier | The Guardian

Fussy, uptight, snobbish! Frasier’s hardly changed – the return of the iconic sitcom | TV & Radio | Showbiz & TV | Express.co.uk

I'd guess if you avoid the disapproval of either the tofu-eating liberalista Guardian or the ultra-right anti-woke Tory Express, then you have probably pretty much nailed something watchable, if maybe a bit bland.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭TheDavester

i was watching it with my father and i said a similar comment to your point in the spoiler tag

• Registered Users Posts: 28,090 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Well without spoiling any jokes I will just say they do address yout concerns.

Its trying a bit too hard for laughs compared to the more subtle Frasier humour and the laugh track is intrusive. Needs to slow down a bit.

Nicholas Lyndurst is good as is the actress playing his boss who have good timing together.

Less sure yet about the guys playing the son (over acting) and nephew (thankless role).

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement

Its so funny what you say about David, because I had the exact same reaction and was going to describe him on here the exact same way.

Watched the two episodes last night. I didn't find it terrible. Not great, not terrible. I got a few laughs out of it.

Nicholas Lyndhursts character being an alcoholic is too overly done. not by him, just the constant references to it is too much.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

How about a random alcoholic being allowed to sleep on the couch of a single mother's apartment with a small baby? Tired old cliches and lazy writing, stuff like the baby being sneaked into the apartment while they were looking under the table or the dirt being dumped.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭Breezy_

who notices these things!

It's a comedy tv show ffs

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

I absolutely adore Frasier. Won't be able to see this new lot, but hoping it's good.

I honestly don't think anything could be as good as the original.

Nearly choked to death the first time I saw the episode of Niles and Eddie and the ironing board and the fire. How could something so simple be so funny but that man and his character were brilliant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭Breezy_

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Flowergirl201

Is it only available on paramount app at the moment?

The dumping of the dirt made no sense and served no purpose. It was in a sealed or closed at least container. For all David knew it could have been a seed starting to germinate.

And why could Freddie not have just introduced Jenni as his room mate?

Frasier always had a funny scene at the end after or during the credits. The dumping of the dirt was the ending scene, how could you miss it?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,497 ✭✭✭✭Varik

It was a 1 bed apartment, if he had introduced her as his room mate he'd have been asked a bunch of other question like does he have money problems or whatever. He said girlfriend to end the conversation quicker.

How would Frasier know it was a one bedroom apartment? Surely if you introduce someone as your room mate, thats the end of the conversation?

Im using the term room mate the way they do in the US, the way we say housemates. In Friends, Chandler and Joey were room mates, but didnt share a room.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,523 ✭✭✭squonk

The whole series feels a bit claustrophobic to me. I know the original Frasier wasn’t expansive with sets but neither Niles or Roz lived in Frasier’s building so they were free to be there or not depending on requirements. The radio station too was a great device as it allowed external characters like Bulldog and the celebrity callers to do their thing and add to the show.

this feels smaller. Basically they’re all going to be at Frasier’s or, at least Freddie & his not girlfriend. Then there’s that tiny office he’s sharing with Rodney and the bar. I don’t see much scope to allow a bit more flow in that. I think if they had him move to Boston to do TV then it would have been a better choice.

I watched the first two eps last night. They felt very contrived and not that funny. Honestly if this was a brand new comedy I was watching from cold with new characters to me, I’d be out already. I do realise they’re in a building phase at the moment so they should be allowed time to set up but it’s not seeming all that interesting. David seems like he has special needs. I know there trying to make a mini Niles out of the character but while Nikes was eccentric and strange at times, he never crossed that line if I remember.

Also, maybe it’s because I’ve stopped watching mainstream TV for the most part and a mainly streaming these days but the laugh track seems antiquated. Time was I had the US cousins “send me” the new comedies each season and there were laugh tracks in all of those but it feels like something from a bygone era now.

I’ve a feeling this may go the way of the Murohy Brown comeback a few years ago. I loved MB back in the day and was behind the new show all the way but even I had to admit time had moved on and it just wasn’t working. Better to remember the show as it was. I don’t think you can catch lightening in a bottle like that twice. The original was surprisingly great. Grammar is hitting the ground running to be fair but it’s expected as he’s playing the only returning character and he knows Frasier inside and out.

Post edited by squonk on

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,369 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Have to say I found this a bit disappointing. I watched both Cheers and Frasier in the past year so I had high hopes for this. A lot of the acting felt like bad US sitcom hammy acting, particularly from the younger cast members.

Frasier was a spinoff from Cheers and this feels like a spinoff from Frasier only the new characters don't really add anything. It feels like there's a lot missing and a lot of wasted potential given that none of the characters from either show have returned and they've had Frasier return to Boston. I know the Cheers set was taken down for Frasier but some sort of continuity would have been nice.

I won't be cancelling my P+ subscription just yet as I'm watching the Mission: Impossible films. I don't have high hopes for this. Feels like a desperate attempt to resurrect an IP due to a lack of new ideas.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

It's probably a big ask to start a new series based on such a loved character but in reality even though Fasier was the title of the show he was more the middle man, the great supporting cast made it such a great show, the first couple of episodes they've tried to introduce a load of characters, probably too many too fast while also trying to capture the magic from the first.

1. Freddie - total reset of this character from the genius child to fireman who wants to deny his father's existence. Martin from the original
    2. Housemate - can't even remember her name, she's trying to be the whimsy/cookey 1 but in reality she's a single mother who's boyfriend was killed in a fire. Probably the Daphne from the original.
    3. John - having a baby will always make for some setups, the Eddie of the show.
    4. Rodney - the sidekick, the academic equal but with a drink problem, trying a different type of Niles.
    5. Boss - putting her career first, probably Roz.
    6. Freddie's friends - probably the colleagues from the radio station
    7. Bars - the coffee shop

I'll give it another few episodes but it's not going to be much more than just background noise for a while.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Let's be cynical here for a second in acknowledging that likely reason this show even exists at the moment is because the so-called "legacy sequel" series or film is still on trend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,090 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

They also own ALL the IP to it, Paramount is probably the weakest streaming service and need to get subscribers quick so will throw in for a lot of different shows in the hope of getting a winner.

I agree on the claustrophobic feel. Which is funny considering Cheers was set entirely in the bar. I also feel there are too many characters. Which is also funny considering the broad and diverse set of characters in both Frasier and Cheers.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

You're not kidding: we have it purely for Star Trek, and yeah, there's Fúck All on that service worth watching. Unless one's big into Yellowstone I suppse.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,369 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

It feels quite bare. In fairness, it is cheaper than Netflix but I'd rather have more and pay more if need be.

I like that I can watch the MI films on it but once I get done with those, I'll probably cancel and get something else. Was great watching Cheers all the way through.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

Netflix has the opposite problem these days IMO: am overwhelming firehose of output, about 10% of it watchable or memorable. Good luck finding the pearls among the muck!

My recent forages into NetFlix have completely turned me off paying for it. I would say the 10% watchable is an optimistic figure.

I'm actually shocked at how much dross there is on it.

Regarding the Frasier reboot, it feels like an extended Family Guy cutaway ripping on sitcoms. I'm wondering if the new episode every week thing is to keep subscribers on the hook.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

I agree. Nexflix is fairly dire.

I loved and love Frasier. I don't think I want to see this spin off judging by the comments here which I'm guess are very creditable.

Way he'd cheers in the day and to have Frasier which was an even better show come out of it was probably never possible to repeat.

Souch 'comefy' today is so contrived and I couldn't handle it🥴

• Advertisement

I do a full Frasier rewatch at least twice a year, and watch my favourite episodes randomly from time to time too. Curiosity got the best of me, and I watched the new one. If it doesn't improve, I'll just file it in with my least favourite episodes which I never watch and skip during rewatches.

Advertisement