Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Frasier sequel ordered to series **Spoilers**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭TheDavester

think it was said/implied that the bar was gone according to a preview

im doing a rewatch and from season 8/9 there is a noticeable drop off in quality, when they get together, Niles loses a bit of his snobby/snipey edge and was running on a bit of fumes, and the addition of Daphne's mother nearly killed it for me, such an awful character, but it gains its quality back in the final season

• Registered Users Posts: 13,553 ✭✭✭✭briany

I thought it was realistic that Niles would become softer with age, especially as he settled into a loving relationship with Daphne, but it did deaden the comedy a bit, I agree.

Trailer for the new series doesn't look overly promising, but it's not fair to judge much on that. In my opinion, the series shouldn't be called Frasier as it's such a change from the original, and it will invite comparison and pressure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

Agree 100%. Daphne's mother absolutely ruined the later seasons. Was even worse than Kirby, who at least was only in a handful of episodes.

ToI absolutely love Frasier, so I hope I'm wrong. But that trailer looks very poor.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Near the end the show the struggling with a lot of behind the scene stuff, Kelsey Grammer was in and out of rehab and other cast members needed time off for different reasons, this led to them trying to add new cast members to pick up the slack, they had Martin having a few girlfriends, Niles got married/divorced so introduced her, Daphne got engaged so introduced him, more & more radio staff members got screen time.

I was hoping for this 1 that they'd cut down the cast to establish things first, but it looks like this is a sprawling cast.

Then again, would Nicholas Lyndhurst be the kind of actor who'd want to be in a sitcom if he thought the script was generic and lifeless? He seems a bit too long in the tooth and settled in his UK career to want to head over to America for a chance to get his foot on the ladder there and take whatever opportunity afforded.

Or it could just be a case of not wanting to let Grammar down, who is apparently a great mate of his.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,097 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I am hoping its a good sign.

On the other hand as you note he may have been swayed by Grammer's presence. Grammer has done some mediocre work of late but still has a high reputation eg Father Christmas is Back on Netflix.

How many more opportunities for a big role / paycheck on screen going to come his way?

Its a 10 episode series so not as big a commitment wrt lifestyle changes as the old 20+ runs.

His recent screen credits sparse.

It will air on Paramount+ in States, may have limited distribution in UK.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I can't imagine royalities from Only Fools & Horses are that great and it's not as if he's in a lot of things over here, I'd say it's a case of taking a paycheck and hoping for more.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,179 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

probably just happy to have work. He hasnt done any tv work since 2019. And I imagine US tv pays much better than UK tv.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Any number of reasons Lyndhurst might have taken the job that wouldn't be reflective of the final show's quality: Perhaps he's mates with someone on the production; maybe he just wanted an excuse to visit the US and took the first half-decent role; perhaps the money's good; could just be he's such a fan of Frasier, he said Yes without checking the script first?

Sometimes people imagine that because a TV famous actor is no longer on TV that they must be in dire straits, financially, or something, without stopping to consider that they could perhaps be concentrating on stage acting instead or any number of things related to acting and productions. Or even that they're financially set and may choose to focus on other things besides work.

In Lyndhurst's case, the fact that his son died in 2020 may have a bit to do with his lack of output lately. I'd imagine grief like that would need a good bit of dealing with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85,259 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

13 October 2023 on Paramount+

• Registered Users Posts: 60,338 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I watched the first minute of it and had to stop it was just so unnatural and forced and the canned laughter.

I will go back later and give the whole episode a watch however right now that just wasn't for me.

Oh wow that was terrible, some of the worst TV I've seen in a long time and I've been a massive fan of Frasier for a long time, everything was so contrived as a setup and each character is such a cliche it's extremely difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭Breezy_

Aaah...expected.

I'll get it and give it a whirl. Maybe it'll improve.

Oh dear... how was Nicholas Lyndhurst? Thankless role?

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Jellybaby_1

I enjoyed the Frasier series but I always thought the Niles character was actually the star rather than Frasier. This clinched the character for me as the best physical comedy I'd seen in a long time. Always catch it when it's on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpImet3Xwgw

I should really learn how to do spoilers but I'm going to assume that anyone reading from here knows they are spoilers.

The Lyndhurst character is the sterotypical old buddy with a drinking problem but has tenure so can't get fired so has a "zingy" back and forth with their boss.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,149 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

I didn't completely hate it. Like yeah it's not as natural or free-flowing as it was, and certainly more cliched, but still a few laughs in it. Easy to watch too.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,277 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Just watched the first two episodes - the canned laughter in the first episode was very highly annoying, do shows still do that these days. Kinda tuned it out in the second episode but ever present.

Still enjoyed the character and his acerbic rhetoric - reading some reviews it gels more around the fourth episode.

Do miss all the old characters tho, will wait and see if KG and supporting cast can bring it all together - but enjoyable enough to keep me watching.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭piplip87

I enjoyed the first two episodes. It will take a few episodes to really help but a promising start.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,277 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Stick in the mud to be honest - maybe the character will get better but just seems to be there to throw a few 'laugh at this' moments, not a patch on the Martin character who I guess he is meant to replace (or maybe Niles' character but my initial thought was Martin)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,315 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

Frasier is my all time favourite commedy, so I'll be going into this with my expectations set really low. Just watched the trailer. Didn't find it terrible, but clearly not the same. I will say, I thought seeing him drinking beer in the trailer a bit jarring. He only drank beer a couple of times in Frasier. It was always either wine or sherry. When Woody came to visit he had a few beers, and he had a beer with Martin I think once when McGinty's got demolished.

I'll watch it tomorrow night, but Im not expecting much. There doesn't seem to be the strong characters backing him up, like Roz, Niles and Martin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭recyclops

After watching 2 episodes I don't hate it, its very much a reboot in the force awakens mould. It is never going to hit the highs of the original but the one saving grace I would say is Frasier himself hasn't really changed which is great to see.

Niles and Daphne son who is quite clearly trying to replace Niles was very grating over the two episodes and the only thing I didnt really like.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

I am cautiously optimistic after watching the first two episodes. Frasier originally was very rough to begin with and both Martin and Niles were pretty unlikeable characters in the first few episodes. The laughter is real, it's filmed in front of a live studio audience, albeit with some layered or added laughter to beef up the volume . Lots of people on the Frasier subReddit have been to the tapings and confirmed this.

The main gripe I had was the set feels cheap and very obviously a set. None of the quirkiness of the Elliot Bay Tower apartment, very flat and two dimensional.

Really looking forward to see how the show pans out and have high hopes it will grow like the original Frasier series did.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I'm dead curious but the presence of the canned laughter has become a latter-day Red Flag for any comedy now. I'm just so used to sitcoms without it, and using the script, or visual gags to get laughs, rather than some fake or whipped-up audience doing belly laughs at every gag.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭Breezy_

Ep 2 much better

• Registered Users Posts: 5,315 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

Obviously Ive watched Cheers and he only drank beer in that. Did Sam Malone even stock sherry?

I just meant as a sequel to the original Frasier, it seemed strange to see him enjoying a beer. Not his usual fancy coffee, fancy wine or sherry.

Yes, you wonder was it done deliberately to try to make him "one of the guys" again?

Or just without regard to the Frasier character? Do they even care?

Or is he meant to be a - well in a bar I'll have a beer, in a restaurant I'll have wine.

Maybe I'm applying more thought to it than they did :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭recyclops

I think your not giving them enough credit tbh, as they remedy this in the first episode and probably deliver a line that will be the reason he drinks what he drinks

Advertisement