Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Frasier sequel ordered to series **Spoilers**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,544 ✭✭✭squonk

Is the actor playing Freddy British? Wouldn’t have realised. Time was though that UK actors were cheap hence UK actors being the addies in a lot of 80s movies. Wonder if it’s still the case and it’s a move to keep costs in check rather than a reflection in the quality of similar US actors.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,217 ✭✭✭TheDavester

Supposedly the reviews/people in the live audience say it gets better from the 4th episode on

Im wondering if the premise of the show was based on his Dr Crane TV show - a show within a show - wouldve it been better

• Registered Users Posts: 5,350 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

I was watching an old episode of Frasier the other night and realised there is a laughter track on it. Never noticed before, but only because the laughter track was mentioned on here in regard to the laughter track being too loud and intrusive, which I agree with.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,277 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Most comedy shows of that time (if not all) had a laughter track unless my memory is failing me - just checked some old Only Fools youtube clips, all had the laughter track but the comedy was so good you were also laughing. Alas Frasier has only made me smile so far

10 Great TV Comedy Shows Made Worse By Laugh Tracks (screenrant.com) (Frasier is in the list)

I was just thinking, I probably didnt notice the laughter track because I was laughing at the same time. Even old Frasier episodes Ive watched a dozen times still make me laugh. As you say alas the new Frasier has at best only made me chuckle a couple of times. And when the laughter track is recorded with someone in the audince finding it hilarious its both grating and noticeable.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,381 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I.. enjoyed the third episode. At least more than the first two. I think the reason is that it's focused on the older cast members with the youngsters getting barely any screentime. Also, there's a cat. It's still giving off "Kelsey needs money for a swimming pool" vibes but this one's an improvement IMO. Sadly, I think the younger cast members are locked in so this may have been a blip.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 8,544 ✭✭✭squonk

yeah episode 3 was a step in the right direction and a good improvement. The show is starting to get into its stride now and sidelining the younger characters who are kind of one dimensional anyway was a good choice. I definitely got a few good laughs from it. I do think the show within a show was a a very welcome development and I think that’s how the show should have gone. I’m happy for now though to see what they can make out of this. I guess too there’s nothing to stop him going back to a radio show in Boston as a fallback but what I saw in episode 3 was pretty good.

Post edited by squonk on

Captain, the Universal Translator seems to be malfunctioning.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

It's gone a bit too sit-comey for me, is that a word? I mean a bunch of Harvard students taking a class just to see some celebrity, it's f**king Harvard, I can't imagine numbers matter much there, also, I can't imagine they'd like to have some TV Doctor attached to their school.

That aside, I'd like to see the side characters given a chance, few scenes in the fire house and other bars wouldn't go astray but less of the ham.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Noppppppe. No chance I'm bothering with this.

Hadn't yet given this a whirl, as I do have Paramount+ but I managed 1:20 minutes before I couldn't take the canned laugher any longer. WHile the cadence of the dialogue - line, pause, line - would drive me bananas; just reminded me of a now very old skit on the SImpsons

• Registered Users Posts: 4,518 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Seem to be going a bit against opinion here but I thought episode 2 and 3 were quite ok. Dare I say, I even enjoyed them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

Yeah, I'd agre with you Jeff, is it great, no, and it is a bit dated, but for a few episodes where they're establishing all new characters alongside a character that has been around for 40 years it's pretty reasonable. Though hopefully they tone down some of the characters, notably Niles son. I'll continue with it for a bit anyway, somewhat nice to have a straight 30 minute sitcom that needs very little effort!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,520 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Not to put too fine a point on it, but it is a sitcom! Can a sitcom be too sitcomy?

According to the producers, the laughter isn’t canned, it was filmed before a live studio audience just like the original series was. (Nor has the laugh track ever completely gone away, the BBC still uses it to an extent, particular on some longer running shows). Donald Clarke had a good article about it in the Irish Times earlier this week (leaky paywall).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

So, I've watched all three

One -not good to be honest

Two - less bad

Three - was okay

I'm liking Fraiser as it's Fraiser, nothing has changed there really, except he's super-super rich.

Nicolas (Alan) is very good. Bit much on the whole functional alcoholic though.

But mini Niles is just, I don't know what it is, just not........good.

Same with Fraisers son and his friend with the baby. It just doesnt work well for some reason. Maybe it's the forced laughter in the scenes with them.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

Well episode 4 is supposed to be the turning point, so will see in a few days - any new show (it's been 20 years!) needs to find its footing so giving it some grace. Each episode has gotten better so I have hope

Still missing the old characters, they were just as much the show as Frasier.

Yeah I think that episode worked, felt more like the original - got more chuckles out of me anyway

The David character needs to be forgotten about. Don't write him out just forget him.

Just watched eps 3 and 4. My opinion is the same. Its becoming 2 and a half men. Which is ironic because the actor who played Freddie in the original went on to be in 2 and a half men.

Post edited by LambshankRedemption on

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,381 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement

I don't know if anyone spotted it, the bar Eve works in is called Mahoney's. The actor playing Martin Crane in the original was John Mahoney. Presumeably a reference to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,149 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭piplip87

Watched the fourth episode just there. It's growing on me. The younger cast members are starting to come into themselves a bit more. Still has a long way to go.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

From people who have been in the audience it does apparently start to find its feet in from the 4th episode onwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Sparko

Trevor Einhorn, the original Freddie, wasn't in Two and A Half Men.

Episode 4 was ok. Some development on Freedie & Frasier's relationship but there's still the impression that the whole show is unnecessary. It's not really doing anything new or original.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭crushproof

Went through the first 4 episodes this week, very forgettable stereotypical canned laughter American sitcom. So disappointed despite getting a couple of laughs in the 3rd and 4th episodes. However the characters are just so weak, especially the nephew that brings absolutely nothing to the show.

Watched a couple of old episodes today and the difference! Stellar comedy and the line delivery is perfection. Such a shame this reboot might stain the legacy of a great show.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,338 ✭✭✭.red.

I liked the "Moose" reference too in episode 4. That was Eddie's real name, probably my favourite character from the original. One of his pups, Enzo came in later on when poor Moose/Eddie was slowing down.

Post edited by .red. on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭santana75

Yeah I had the same experience in watching the new show and then going back to watch episodes from season 1 of the original..........the gulf in class in apparent straight away. Not sure what exactly it is, could be better writing, better acting, or something else. Its not nostalgia though, or looking back through rose tinted glasses, its just plainly obvious that the original frasier was far better straight off the bat when comparing the first 4 eipisodes of that show with the first 4 of this one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭onrail

I'm starting to really think production is where a lot of the fault lies with this.

Some of the gags would probably be much funnier if delivered in the setting and tone of the old Frasier.

Advertisement