Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Frasier sequel ordered to series **Spoilers**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 85,125 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭Breezy_

She lives next door to Daphne i read in real life

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Did I imagine that this was set in Chicago? I wonder will we see any of the Cheers gang aside from Lilith

• Registered Users Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭elperello

• Registered Users Posts: 60,310 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Teaser

Starts October 12th

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭JeffreyEpspeen

Show fairly lost a step after Niles and Daphne got together. I feel like Jane Leeves acting got noticeably worse after Season 7 and DHP started phoning it in.

A lot of people prefer DHP to Kelsey Grammer, and he's a great physical actor, but I don't think Grammer gets enough credit for how he acts with his body.

Pity John Mahoney and the rest of the gang won't be in this wan. I fear it'll be just another generic modern American sitcom lacking all the incisive wit and heart of the original.

Also have my doubts much of the gay humour and misogynistic humour would fly in any modern telling. No way Frasier and Niles razor sharp repartee with Roz could be repeated. Nor Bulldog's routine.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

So do you reckon it will be 2024 before being shown on RTÉ or Channel4? Or even if we have Paramont + will it be on the US version only?

Dying to see it

• Registered Users Posts: 14,766 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I'd imagine it'll be on Paramount+ here. If it does appear on a broadcast channel, probably Sky Atlantic.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,488 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Is that Nicolas Lyndhurst in the bar scene? 1st time I've seen him in anything in quite a while.

• Advertisement

It is Kelsey Grammer worked with him on the stage in London and wanted him on the show and had the part written for him.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Woof. That wasn't great; especially the stuff with Freddie.

Hmmm. Somehow I forgot Frasier had an audience; it's so long since I watched a sitcom with a laughter track it was quite jarring to get past that; I don't miss them.

Yeah all the scenes with the son are very forced.

Say line…….pause for laughter….. then say next line.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭crushproof

Oh dear, this is not looking great. In fact not looking good, brutal in fact. Really forced Two and a half men kind of humour.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,766 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

The previous show was an ensemble comedy, and they've dumped all but one of the ensemble. I don't see how it can work.

I'm suspending judgement until I've seen a couple of episodes.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,967 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I'm suspending watching it until I've heard your judgment after seeing a couple of episodes :)

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

If you must but I should warn you that I'll be watching through rose tinted spectacles 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 28,418 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I thought Roz and Daphne were coming back?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,967 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Yeah if you can attach the count of glasses of wine drunk per episode that would help :)

I'm nervous about watching this, such fond memories of Frasier and the 'plonker'... I really want it to be good but hmmm.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

So they're gone from Frasier, bar fly in Cheers, to Frasier, snob in Frasier, to Frasier, mix of all in this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭Sparko

Roz is going to appear as a guest star, hadn't heard anything about Daphne though.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭BaywatchHQ

I see that they cast two African Americans in main roles. Whilst I don't have a problem with having black actors if they are the best for the role but we all know they were cast as a tick box exercise to display diversity. This is well known to occur in movies nowadays.

I am a fan of Frasier and also watched the entirety of Cheers last year but I wouldn't have much hope for this show. Niles was the best character in Frasier and Norm and Cliff were the best characters in Cheers. So Frasier has been in 2 shows and hasn't been the best character in either, it isn't a good sign.

Also if you are from the British isles you will always view Nicholas Lyndhurst as Rodney. How can you take him seriously as another character? That won't be a problem for American viewers.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,164 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

The lack of Lilith in the trailer was a disappointment. i thought Bebe was appearing?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,469 ✭✭✭squonk

That trailer doesn’t invite confidence. I can see what they’re trying to do but it’s kind of a rehash of the last show with new characters and the plot turned somewhat in that now guys son is the “everybody man” and not his father. It’s kind of bad when a trailer doesn’t rely inside you or make you want to watch.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

In my opinion Frasier worked because of the great cast of supporting characters, yes it was all focused around Frasier but in reality the supporting cast were the stars.

Niles - great straight man, Maris was a fantastic characters but some of the stuff he got up to with Frasier was comedy gold, off the top of my head the restaurant with the brandy and the theater episodes were brilliant.

Martin - the odd couple stich was the start but he was also a great grounding for Frasier and a great way to bring things back if needed.

Roz - Bringing a bit of a common person was good along with her banter with Niles at the start was funny. Her character evolultion was a great story arc throughout the show.

Daphne - the eccentric bit, being British but not the snob, the whole physic thing, Niles stalking her, great character

Then you had the off guest start, few minutes each episode with callers to the show, Bulldog, the setting in the coffee shop, etc. etc., it was all just a great mix. I hope this new show doesn't tarnish things but the vibe I got from the trailer was 2 Guys, a Girl and a Pizza Place.

I just copped that this series has Frasier back in Boston and the bar he is drinking is not Cheers.

That's a good description of the original Frasier.

That show and it's cast richly deserved the awards and accolades they earned over the years.

Nothing could tarnish their achievements.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

It is, apparently, called Mahoney's. A nod to the late, great John Mahoney, aka Marty Crane.

• Advertisement

Fair play if that's the case a very nice touch.

Advertisement