Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Frasier sequel ordered to series **Spoilers**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Here's an interesting What IF: seems like the original idea before David Hyde Pierce said No was that Frasier & Niles would be running either a restaurant & small theatre; which does s ound exactly like something either them would do - with great comic potential in their natural snobbery coming up against the market

As showrunners Joe Cristalli and Chris Harris tell it, getting David Hyde Pierce to reprise his role for the new Frasier was, of course, a priority. Discussions stretched out to solidify a narrative for the character — including one about a black-box theater, more on that in a bit — before Hyde Pierce decided there was nothing left to do with Niles. “He’s not the bad guy in this, and he was so lovely about it,” Cristalli says. Ultimately, his absence presented the duo with an opportunity to start a fresh story from scratch, which is layered on one main theme. “For both his professional world and personal relationships,” Harris explains, “it feels like it’s a time for Frasier to be giving back.”

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,391 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Interesting idea.

I think it could have been cool to have a mixed Cheers/Frasier reboot with some of the characters from either show reflecting on things like getting older, the internet and so on.

This just reminds of me of the fact that Seth MacFarlane wasn't supposed to be the lead in A Million Ways to die in the West. Paul Rudd turned it down. That didn't ruin the film in and of itself but it didn't augur well either.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 5,358 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

It sounds like an extension of the episode The Innkeepers, where Niles and Frasier run a restaurant and the place practically burns down on opening night. I think it would be a trope which would get old pretty quickly. That said, the "Odd couple" theme they have gone with could get old just as quickly.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I think if you wanted to keep the chemistry of the Cranes being these utterly out of touch snobs, and mine the comedy with a modern touch, then theatre or food would have been a good place to go. we've already seen movies rip into the nonsense culture of "cuisine" with things like Pig or The Menu.

Interesting Hyde-Pierce felt there was nowhere else to go with Niles though; sounds like while the concept might have had potential, there was no new characterisation to tempt the actor back.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,106 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

If they were brining it back for a limited once off run of X episodes, I think it would have been a good concept for that.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,548 ✭✭✭squonk

Restaurant or theatre is exactly where it needed to go. The are such snobs that it would be comedy gold. Also with a tgestre especially there is so much potential for external characters for a wise or even short arcs while a play is in town. It would things the fresh.

Far point made that it night get old quickly but bit as quickly as the current setup will get old I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I watched 2 episodes and I didn't laugh once.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭JeffreyEpspeen

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,391 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Would it, though? Like, you'd be taking an idea for an episode they actually made and extending it for a whole season or several seasons. I can see it getting very stale very quickly. That said, Kelsey and David back together would have been a significant improvement on what we actually got so there's that.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 7,769 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Such a performance is a journey of discovery. This brief rehearsal time that was given is - was far too short to reach...

• Advertisement

You're not meant to laugh. It's a programme where renowned psychiatrist Dr. Frasier Crane of Harvard Medical School attempts to help people with their personal problems. Even the ones he has caused.

Do you laugh at Dr Phil???

• Registered Users Posts: 7,769 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Far point. I don’t remember that episode and you’re very probably right but it would still be better than what we’re getting now For me, one of the really funny things about the original was Niles and Frasier tag teaming against what lore Brie stuff Martin wanted That or Niles and Frasier ratcheting each other up over different things I don’t see much oriented for that with the current setup

DHP gets lots of plaudits for his physical acting but Grammer was good at that aul stuff as well; great at acting with his body.

My favourite behind the scenes story is how Grammer would always arrive at filming out of his tits on drugs and alcohol and everyone would be like "oh no". Then the director would say action and he'd knock every single line out of the park with his first take.

Actually the theatre, yes, Sometimes in the weaker Frasier episodes, a call-in to the radio show could save the episode. The theatre setting allows scope for the bizarre and the beautiful "celebs to us", being absolutely hilarious.

Now that that has been mentioned, Im even more disappointed, in that, is the characters we have been introduced to thus far, is that it?

I think my favourite Frasier call in was John Lithgow, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BK1jek2EggQ

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Do you laugh at Dr Phil???

Yes, every time. Mostly cuz of that head on him.

I read that John Lithgow was in the running for the part of Frasier Crane back in Cheers.

Couild have worked. I mostly know him as the Trinity Killer in Dexter.

He did comedy role on TV in Third Rock from the Sun... probably more scope in that role for his exuberant acting.

He and Kelsey Grammer swept the best comedy actor awards at Emmys between 1994 - 99 with three wins each.

• Advertisement

I know that. I just never got into 3rd Rock. He can clearly do comedy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭Breezy_

That John Lithgow call made me really laugh. It just proves the point really that an ok Woodside could be elevated by a 90 second hilarious clip like that. For a comedy that really knew its stuff back in the day, it’s terrible to see them fall blindly into the overused US sitcom trap of an apartment set, a work desk set and a bar/restaurant set that are used in each episode.

Back in the day I enjoyed shows like Caroline In The City but even then it kind of stale because you only saw her living room and no matter who she was meeting for a date they always went to her local cafe. I see this version of Frasier falling into the same trap. The only way those limited set shows work is if one set is a vibrant place like a work area. They might get away with the bar but it seems like a place for Freddy and his friends.

On thinking about this note I’m coming to the conclusion it’s nite about grabbing ratings and subscriptions and a pay check for KG than an earnest attempt to reboot the show. I think DHP declining to return all but says this and you have to respect him cheer turning down easy money when he could have just shown up on set and gone through the motions. The trouble is that audiences see through this now as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,786 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

some of you may enjoy this animated remake of "My Coffee with Niles"

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

S1E3 is out and it's hard not to enjoy seeing Kelsey Grammer on the screen. It's also a little hard to get into the new Frasier as enthusiastically as with the old, the quality of cast is variable and KG stands head and shoulders above the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,278 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Very much so, supporting cast doing nothing fir me, more an intrusion

• Registered Users Posts: 21,151 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Re-watched the 2nd episode last night and actually thought it stood up, if not even better, than first watch which was surprised about. Enjoy the mirroring of original series. Definitely some classic Frasier writing in there (the yak mattresses), and while the other new characters dont really appeal, im definitely lot more positive about it than before.

I'll watch the third episode this evening.

To be honest, the younger cast members' acting reminds me of Family Guy cutaways parodying US sitcoms.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭onrail

It pains me to say, but two episodes in, I find this really...bad... And I loved the OG Frasier.

As someone said above, it seems like a forgettable us sitcom with obvious jokes, hammed up acting and canned laughter that's too loud and intrusive.

I'll keep going out of stubbornness, but little hope for improvement.

• Advertisement

I keep wondering how bad American actors <30 must be if British actors like the one playing adult Freddy keep glomming roles like this.

Advertisement