Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Frasier sequel ordered to series **Spoilers**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,803 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Big fan of Frasier but not sure how I feel about this - theres always a big risk you can **** all over the reputation and memory of a show by resurrecting it.

If they try and make it Frasier 2.0 it will be a fantastic flop - the only way for these kinds of shows to work is to be something different in their own right, like how Frasier itself was quite standout from Cheers despite the continuity they had between the shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

They’re going I. A different direction. He’s no longer a radio host, has moved out of Seattle & is semi retired.

Would also have a grown son who may now live with/near him. Who presumably would have his own family.

It may be great, it may not.

he’s still got a long way to go to beat William Roach as longest time same actor playing the same character though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Conflicted about this, not least cos the latter stages the series' run saw a decline IMO - with the Niles/Daphne stuff not working now they were loved-up couple

• Registered Users Posts: 14,262 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I'm jumping in enthusiastically to this sequel, revival or whatever it is.

I don't mind if it is not so good as the original it's one to look forward to for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,281 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Holy ****, I just looked up who William Roach was. Playing a character from 1960, and still doing it at 90. Soaps are pretty routine filming too. That's my Wikipedia diver for today.

• Advertisement

If its anything like the Sex and the City sequel, they should leave it well enough alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,654 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

As long as Daphne’s relatives don’t appear.

BLADDY ‘ELL, WHERE ALL THE BURDS?!

• Registered Users Posts: 85,045 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I miss Eddie and Marty

Jack Cutmore-Scott cast as Freddy Crane Frasier’s son

Nicholas Lyndhurst will play Frasier's former college friend

• Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭Brian Scan

"Nicholas Lyndhurst will play Frasier's former college friend"

Dave?

• Advertisement

Be interesting to see how it goes. Thought original series really trailed off towards the end which was a shame. Never get sick of the reruns. I think as someone mentioned a reversal with Frasier as the grumpy dad and a know all son living at home would be funny. Can’t see it running for too long, different era.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I loved Fraiser and never fail to watch it when it comes on, can't see how it can work now, some of the standing jokes like fancy coffee orders aren't funny now they are normal practice, other stuff like Niles perving on Daphne just wouldn't work now.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I'll still give it a go.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Even through the lens of more modern attitudes, would Niles be considered a perv? He was such a drip, such a whimpering presence from afar I find it hard to see his pining for Daphne as anything but (mostly) innocent infatuation. There were the occasional moments of her unknowingly inducing the horny sweats in Niles, but the lack of malevolence in his heart might dampen a negative conclusion.

That said: it never stopped those tedious Hot Takes from outlets trying for some clickbait & "engagement" through outrage.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,970 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

I wouldn't consider Niles a perv but the take I took from Fraiser even at the time was that so many of Fraiser's girlfriends seemed to be way younger than him.

Certainly some things don't age well upon later viewing (Last year I rewatched Aaron Sorkin's "Studio 60" series and that did NOT age well. Whoa boy! Now THERE is a serious stalking/#metoo type thing going on that went the wrong side of creepy... ) but, yeah, I thought that Niles' pining for Daphne was, yeah, played the right side of creepy/pervy.

Do we NEED another season? Nah. But I'll give it an initial look anyway.

I suspect it's NOT this...

Bebe Neuwirth will reprise her role as Lilith 

• Registered Users Posts: 5,077 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

OMG- if she’s in it full time as opposed to guest starring, then it could be so cool.

I reckon this could be great but it’s all down to the writers - I’ll watch every episode regardless because I’ve been Fraiser mad since his early days in cheers - just hope the gags are good.

Its not too late to revive Fraiser for a few years but only just- certainly I’d give this far more hope than I do a faulty towers revival.

I'm sure the naysayers said similar things when it was announced there would be a spin off of Cheers centring on a minor character from the bar.

"It wont work without all the old gang"

"Spinoffs like this never work"

"The actor is too old".

Then look what happened.

Yes in general, spin offs rarely work, but sometimes they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,807 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

A new set, new city, main cast members reduced to ‘maybe’ guest stars and occasional recurring roles, one of the absolute stars John Mahoney dead.

the success of the show was in no small part due to the excellent madcap ensemble cast and characters…. Rather then just the rather straight central character.

So its got absolute flop written all over it….

Was Maris ever cast in the show? Was it just a head, the back of shown

They could get some Cheers cast for guest roles

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,895 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I would like to give it benefit of doubt.

But Kelsey Grammer has been in some mediocre stuff of late eg Father Christmas is Back which suggest script quality not his priority in picking roles.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,077 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

I think for this to work it will need new set new main characters and new ideas - i mean we never heard of Niles Crane before Fraiser and look how wonderful that turned out.

So all eyes really on Anders Keith, Daphnes son, and Jack Cutmore-Scot -Fraisers son. Will they be funny, or more to the point will the script and storylines be funny? Let’s see.

as for Nicholas Lyndhurst, he’s appearing in 2 episodes according to this article so let’s see if his role is developed further - his character was excellent in OFAY and obviously the writing was superb but I don’t rate him much outside of this series BUT…

I know this article below is Daily Mail but already “insiders” are saying it’s low budget, Z list script writers and inexperienced actors - so could be amazing or absolute drivel.

I think if the scripts were brilliant David Hyde Pierce would have returned but I think it’s telling that he hasn’t and that’s probably the key reason I believe this will probably be a shadow of its former self. I truely don’t want it to be but I don’t think it will last

• Registered Users Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭Radio5

What are the odds that Frasier will have a podcast, doing what he did on the radio show just in another format

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I cant imagine they capture lightening in a bottle the second time, the bar was set so high that anything just average to mediocre would be unwatchable

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭MOR316

Problem with a show like Frasier is that, the bar is set so high that anything following it, will ultimately be below it. It can still be good in it's own right, but once you compare, it's not going to stand on it's own two legs. The original was one of a kind and won't be repeated

It's like people expecting another Elvis, Beatles or Michael Jackson. Never going to happen again!

Simplest attitude to adopt is the assumption this won't be great, then anything competent - and funny - will be a pleasant surprise.

Unlike something such as that Fawlty Towers sequel being threatened by John Cleese, there's a stronger foundation here for something that could work; and if the scripts tap into the comedy gold of an ageing WASP in 202X America, without indulging in cheap comedy, it might strike accidental gold.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

With Fawlty Towers its more centered around Basil so Basil interacting with anybody is going to be funny. Frasier depended on the particular dynamic of the cast that was just perfect down to the side characters like Bulldog, the odds would be totally against replicating that

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement

That said, from what I've read, I suspect this may be going down a sort of 2 and a half men theme. Or maybe even a reboot of Frasier, with Frasier as Martin, and Frederick, as Frasier, or possibly an anti-Frasier?

Im reserving judgement until I see it, but my expectations are low.

Advertisement