Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Liffey valley to start charging for parking

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,851 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Thats why this is all about maximising profit. If it were to make the place more accessible then the first 60 mins would be free wit ha ten min grace period. The fact they are applying a charge to the first hour means they most likely have their homework done in relation to patrons parking habits and time spent in the center itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,833 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity. It's a mistake and business will suffer.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Senature

If the reason for implementing charges was to weed out people who park to get the bus into town etc, then you could give the first 2 hours parking free, followed by say €3 ph after.

The fact that you've to pay if you're there for 20-30 minutes speaks volumes, and is what will put local people and passers by off.

Most people wouldn't strongly object to €3 parking charge for 3 hours, seems like this would have been a more successful approach in terms of keeping the place busy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

they should be actively encouraging this to curb the traffic at the m50 crossover in the first place. Probably the best place in dublin to get a bus into the city from and no park and ride

• Registered Users Posts: 15,876 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I agree. There is a big "bus hub" going in at LV thus the removal of many car spaces, but there is no Park and Ride facility factored in (AFAIK). It is indeed one of the better bus corridors into the city and Heuston for links to other modes. There is a road on the North side of the N4 at the footbridge that is a cul de sac leading to the Kings Hospital School. It is choc a bloc with cars as it is where people park to get the bus, so no room there.

I dunno, all this bus connects planning and so forth yet here we are, if you are to use bus connects from places further West there is no chance at LV. But I suppose you are expected to take the bus TO the bus and leave the car at home full stop. Greenies again I suppose. There has to be a balance, and I'm all for reducing the number of cars knocking around, it is absurd sometimes, but they are a necessity for many just the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

People will just park in Tesco, B&Q or the other liffey valley care park at the back!!!

Tesco won't be happy

• Registered Users Posts: 28,415 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

So they’ll start clamping overstayers. It’s not rocket science or a huge cost.

They spent the summer fecking up the car park when they should have put some multi story in the red or purple area to help with capacity on weekends xmass etc and for Park n Ride during the week when the place is at max 50% capacity as it is

For me the bus connects thing is a bit of a failure, that is what you need to get people to actually bus to liffey valley, they put in some fairly random buses from liffey valley, but they are so long winding around the place they only go once an hour, so totally pointless for small looper buses

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Swaine

Glad I don't live in Dublin, between airport fees and nows this, utter greed. Expensive sh1thole.

No smell of Benjy in Dublin though. Bonus points.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

Personally I agree with @AndrewJRenko that this is a most welcome development at Liffey Valley.

In fact I will now make it my go to shopping centre in Dublin.

Less cars which will make it easier to find parking and less poor people around.

Seems like a win/ win to me.

Apologies Spanish Eyes, I'll buy you an orange mocha chip frappucino in the centre when the charges kick in to show my remorse.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,420 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i find it all a bit funny. 'i am going to a shopping centre and you expect me to SPEND MONEY?'

• Registered Users Posts: 10,165 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

You don’t need to fly to Liffey Valley so you won’t be caught twice

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,852 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Charlestown is free if you go to Dunnes. Charlestown is also shite though

But an hour is not an over stay, or even 2 hours, there is a coffee shop in both areas!!!

IIRC The Square used to be free if you were visiting the cinema. They validated your parking.

I wonder if there will be any LV business' validating parking for visitors like that - maybe Vue, or M&S if you spend over a certain amount?

So they’ll do validated parking. LV isn’t the first place in the world to face these issues. There are lots of solutions out there to address unwanted Parker’s. It’s not rocket science.

• Advertisement

Perhaps another great idea for Liffey Valley would be spaces something like the parent and kids spaces for luxury cars and suv's.

Closer to the doors for easy access and wider spaces for the likes of BMW 7 Series, Range Rovers, Mercedes S Class etc.

Could charge 1.5/2 times the price of the "regular" spaces- I'd sure pay it for the extra wide spaces and easy access to the centre in inclement weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,226 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Yeah, they need things like this, spend a certain amount and get the parking validated. It's not the money it's the principle behind it. People using it for park and ride excuse doesn't wash, that can be monitored and cars clamped which is far cheaper than he cost of the car park upgrade to facilitate this.

I definitely won't be popping in like I used to, nor will I head over to browse with the kids where we'd normally end up spending a good few quid

• Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭Heroditas

I thought the M&S end had picked up a bit after Zara opened. I'd be interested to see how the place ends up once the M&S renovations are completed too.

The roadworks seem to be progressing well however and should be finished by Halloween by the looks of it. A lot of progress has been made over the last month.

I've mixed feelings over the parking fees. Dundrum, I used to think it was justified but I can't be arsed heading over there now because it's really no better than Blanch nowadays. Blackstone had been giving a lot of serious consideration to introducing paid parking in Blanch for a while but then sold to Goldman Sachs. Remains to be seen if they go down that road. They might not, for the simple reason that they'll be one of the few who don't! Lot of roadworks around Blanch too to make access to the complex and Snugborough Road more accessible off the N3. It's badly needed.

From my own point of view, I'd regularly pop into LV on a Saturday morning when the kids are in gymnastics or maybe pop in after being in Tesco bit I'm more likely to "plan" the trips now so less impulse buying.

One last thing though is the layout of the carpark at the M&S end is horrendous. Loads of blind spots and very poorly marked. It's very poorly designed to allow one of the most basic of functions which is to let people leave!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,226 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Yeah, m&s end is all over the place now, you seem to have to do loops to get in or out

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭tjhook

Yeah, I'm ok with parking charges if it feeds into cheaper prices in the stores there.I mean it should, if as we're being told in this thread, non-drivers are currently subsidising drivers.

I won't hold my breath. The stores won't be seeing this extra cash, but somebody will. And I'm not intending to fill their pockets.

I'll be visiting Blanch from now on.

That is not Tesco policy where they own the car park.

I was talking to a person who works in Liffey Valley last night. The businesses are not getting anything out of this car park deal, the businesses will continue to pay the same costs as before.

Also he said, if even a 10% drop of customers happens. 6-8 businesses will lay staff off and with the looming recession they fear over 50% of the shops will go.

Two restaurants are already very close to closing up due to electricity costs etc.

Think the amount of non drivers to liffey valley is under 5%

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

I work in the area so most of my trips to LV are just quick drop ins for Boots or M&S food on the way home, it'll make me think twice and I'll definitely try combine my trips now. I go to the Brow Boutique there too and the treatment takes about 25 minutes so that's €2.50 added to the cost of that service. I understand the need to control the number of cars being parked for the day if that's a major issue but I wish it was first hour free and then pay!

The more interesting question is what would that percentage be if they had done it properly from the start?

Or what will the percentage be after a year of paid parking?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,193 ✭✭✭emo72

It's only once or twice a year that you couldn't get a space. What harm if someone parks there and goes into town anyway?

Advertisement