Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Club Championships 2022/23

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭YabaDabaDooley

Again a big club match totally devoid of any atmosphere. Ground looks 99% empty. Raining all day in the capital. It must be miserable for the Kilmacud hurling folk to sit in a cavernous empty grey structural behemoth and see their team barely raise a galop. Ah well there's always the football...

That's more like it from Crokes. Must have got some rollicking at the break. Fired over 1-5 without reply and look totally dominant now.

Desperate goal for Crokes to concede when the Kilkenny men looked to be on the ropes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Crazy 2nd half, great stuff.

I've never seen Ballyhale dominated this much in a half of hurling. Their lucky to be leading. Crokes will regret this bigtime if don't win.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Mad about baa baas

Never seen ballyhale drop so many balls short into keepers hands..also driving more wides than usual..they were lucky to escape.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,378 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Credit to them in second half. They battled ferociously to drag themselves back into the game. Could have got something but for the dodgy goal but will rue that absolute no show of a first half.

A game of two halves. Really couldn't see that at ht. Ballyhale looked like an old team in the second half and that lucky goal saved them. Kilmacud will be sick. They destroyed Ballyhale in second half. They really could/should have won that match.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Brian Sheedy will be in no condition to play football after that, will be hard to watch after that 2nd half too. Even though Ballyhale were very unimpressive in the 2nd half i still think them and Ballygunner is a 50/50, they'll be mad for it after the the final last February.

The Downs keeper very slow to come out for that ball that dropped in the square. Kilmacud strong start and should win with a bit to spare.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

Ballygunner will be equally as ‘mad’ to ‘properly’ beat shamrocks as in by 5/6 pts like they have done with all teams this season rather than a Last minute ‘Roy of the rovers’ type victories..even though I’m sure they’d settle for the same again…?

All one way traffic at HQ. The Downs are way put of their depth. They've managed just a solitary point in 32 minutes of football. Kilmacud are dominant all over the field.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭blowitupref

Colm Wooly Parkinson after the two Leinster semi finals reckoned Kilmacud were less brutal than Portarlington and based on the two semi finals the Downs should be encouraged for final. And to think a lot of people pay to listen to his views.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,394 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Deegan got a fair belt there. Could see he was in pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

Big win for Monaleen today I'm the Munster club. Roscrea were being rightly talked up but Monaleen won easily. Limerick teams have Tipperary teams number for a long time now. The only people that don't realise this are pundits.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Registered Users Posts: 4,863 ✭✭✭enricoh

Good to see kilcoo gone, a vile outfit!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,119 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

A bit of sore loser temperament from them at the end there.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,354 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

It is funny you say that, on 'the GAA hour' they used to give betting predictions/tips in the intercounty league/championship etc. They were wondering whether they were encouraging gambling. I pointed out to Wooly Parkinson on twitter that they were in fact doing the opposite. Because the tips were so bad it would put people off gambling altogether!

Nice to hear that they are keeping up the same level of consistent tips at club level!

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,983 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Kilmacud must be hot favourites to win the Senior Football now

• Registered Users Posts: 9,654 ✭✭✭billyhead

There very reliant on Shane Walsh, although I hear Mannion might be back for the semis.

• Advertisement

It is sickening really, I was explaining to the Galway cousins how reliant Kilmacud are on Shane Walsh. And how they would not even have won Dublin without him. They thought I was codding!

Basically parachute a superstar forward into an already solid team - bang likely all-ireland. It does not sit right with me. Great player though, and he is not breaking any rules. The rules are the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭blowitupref

Football semi finals next month.

Senior

Kilmacud Crokes (Dublin) v Kerins O'Rahilly's (Kerry)

Moycullen (Galway) v Glen (Derry)

Intermediate 

St Mogue's Fethard (Wexford) v Rathmore (Kerry) 

Dunmore MacHales (Galway) v Corduff (Monaghan) or Galbally Pearses (Tyrone)

Junior 

Castletown (Meath) v Fossa (Kerry) 

Clifden (Galway) v Glasgow Gaels (Britain) or Stewartstown Harps (Tyrone)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,654 ✭✭✭billyhead

Imagine how young lads coming up through the underage ranks trying to break into the senior team are thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,862 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Not sure, but his college is in Dublin City Centre Portobello Institute. Being in Kilmacud Crokes I had assumed it was UCD etc. But no, Dublin City Centre.

Well it's not sickening or parachuting if it's his local club.

It may not be but if you don't know then why the outrage and insinuation.

What annoyed me more was St Judes played Kilmacud Crokes. And the analysts on were trying to justify Walsh to Crokes by saying Judes had way more non-Dub blow ins.

Ignoring the major difference that in Judes they are average/OK imports. Whereas Walsh is on another level. He would transform any team in the country.

There definitely should be a draft system like the Americans have in basketball for Dublin football. Weakest side first pick of imports IMO etc. As soon as Walsh moved to Crokes I said that is probably a club all-ireland for them.

Ironically the team Crokes beat in the Dublin final Na Fianna - were known for getting in a load of imports about 20 years ago - McGeeney etc.

Because I think it makes a farce of the competition if a fella of the level of Walsh can just Waltz into an already strongish team. To use soccer parlance it is the GAA equivalent of 'tapping up'. As there is no 'parish rule' in Dublin so it can be a free for all.

I just think there should be a tightening up of rules. A fella should have to resident a certain time in an area in Dublin or something. Because Walsh to Kilmacud to me seemed very unfair on the rest of the competition. Sure he was MOTM easily in the Dublin final and was integral to them after that.

Again nothing against Walsh great player to watch etc - he is not doing anything untoward. And is going to go to a team that he has best chance of winning something. But I think from a competition balance point of view it does not seem to be in the 'spirit' of the GAA to me.

I didn't know there was no specified areas in Dublin.

I have no problem with and would actually encourage players to switch to the place they live because I think the pressure on players is too much and a cross country trip every few nights is too much. Would hate to see players lost because they have to play in their old club.

But he should have some connections other than just being one of the million people in Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,766 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

It's not anything new, this is from 10 years ago:

"Not content, it seems, with winning the All-Ireland championship, Dublin could try to force any outsiders who transfer to clubs in the capital to sing Hill 16 La La La at the top of their voice and switch all their phone and broadband accounts to Vodafone.

The chief executive of Dublin GAA, John Costello, wrote in his annual report that there is the option of compelling rural blow-ins to declare for the Dublin team.

Several high-profile inter-county players have transferred to clubs in the capital in recent years, including Colm Parkinson, MJ Tierney, Darren Rooney and Colm Begley of Laois, Louth’s Darren Clarke and Wexford’s Andreas Doyle.

The situation, in particular that of Laois, has been causing a few headaches around the country, and Dublin could try to prevent it from happening in future by forcing players to switch their inter-county allegiance away from their home turf.

As reported in the Evening Herald, Costello wrote “While some of these transfers are totally natural whereby, for example, a player moves to an area to take up a post as a teacher and then makes the decision to join his local club, there are other transfers which look to be testing both the eligibility laws and the ethos of our games."

Appealing to the spirt or the ethos of the game is pointless, if the rules allow it. The same way they allow Pat Spillane Jr to play for Sligo. A danger of rewriting the rules, could be that an avenue for "weaker" counties to recruit from Dublin could be shut down.

Advertisement