Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Club Championships 2022/23

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,322 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

So you think a lad from Kerry or Donegal should be forced to drive or pay for transport 2/3/4 times a week to play club or have to sign for Dublin ?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,892 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

In general I'm against very specific legislation or rules, so I would not favour anyone being forced to do anything. The woolly rules are fine with me, but they have resulted in complaints about various transfers over the years. The difference this time I think, is that it is inter club rather than inter county like the Larry Thompson or Seánie Johnston cases. Like in disciplinary matters, I think it suits a lot of people in the GAA to have flexible rules on transfers.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,337 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Said it before and I'll say it again, it's ridiculous to whinge about the transfer system only when a good player is involved. I'd have more respect for people who think transfers should just never be allowed than those who pick and choose based on their own bias.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,168 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Anyone know what Conor Glass was hinting at in his Off the Ball interview after yesterday's game where he talked about no respect for some of the kilcoo team?

Didn't see all the game so not sure what happened.

I didn't hear it, but it could be to do with some Kilcoo players refusing to play for Down unless the manager was sacked.

https://www.irishnews.com/sport/gaafootball/2022/05/04/news/absence-of-winning-mentality-is-why-kilcoo-boys-won-t-play-for-down-branagan-2659508/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,168 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Not sure about that. I thought it was either too do with sledging or some of the ball stuff during the game from what I can gather.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,428 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Some going by Fossa. They were always quite a poor club team who never really did anything of note. To win Munster is some going, obviously having 2 of the best footballers in the country makes a fair ol difference but still a serious achievement

• Registered Users Posts: 18,459 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

There should be some sort of system put in that makes the competition more balanced. There will always be transfers in the GAA particularly to Dublin clubs from rural clubs. But is it structured/organised fair and equitable?

I would argue no. Shane Walsh used to play intermediate for his home club for example.

But yet it would be viewed as preposterous if he played intermediate or senior 2 for a Dublin club? If there was a ‘draft’ system where weakest get first pick like in American sports it would make things far more interesting.

But also with a cap on imports to a Dublin club it would be much fairer IMO. In Irish basketball in the 80s/90s there used to be a cap on the number of Americans per Irish club. It worked well.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

The way Kerry is structured helps their Intermediate and Junior teams at provincial level.

You would need a team of lawyers to design a new scheme. And even then, I couldn't see everyone agreeing that it was fair and equitable in their eyes. Starting point is the existing rules 6.1 to 6.12 which run from page 70 here. 6.12 is to do with players transferring to USA etc, which is a whole other can of worms every year.

There are severe penalties for players and officials who break the rules. But the only case I can recall was Tony Keady.

https://www.balls.ie/gaa/tony-keady-revealed-the-most-startling-detail-of-the-whole-keady-affair-last-night-301370

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭MacDanger

I think stories like Fossa where one or two lads drag the local club to a title are the epitomy of the GAA in juxtaposition to the superclubs like Kilmacud

• Registered Users Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Gael85

Kilcoo no 9 put his hand into Glass face at end of first half. The no 9 then stamped on another Glen player moments later.

Majority of senior clubs in Dublin wouldn't have many imports outside a couple clubs. Judes would have a few but all but a couple wouldn't be intercounty standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,941 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

How so? I'm genuinely curious as I've heard this argument before.

I'm aware that their junior and intermediate teams form regional outfits for their senior championship but not sure how this relates to their success at provincial and national level in lower grades.

My issue with the Shane Walsh is he used travelling home as reason for transferring. He will spend all year travelling to Galway for county training and matches. How many club games would he usually play for club in a year? Intercounty players rarely with club now outside club championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Because of the 8 divisional sides playing senior, the 9th best club in Kerry are intermediate champions whereas in other counties, it's the 17th best club. Similar for junior

Maybe going home for county is already a huge strain on his life and he is trying to minimize than.

The problem here is he signed for a club people don't like.

Over 3600 player transfers between GAA clubs in 2022 so far, but sure, lets rip up the entire process because one good player transferred to an already good team.

Hard cases make bad law. The system is perfectly fine as it is.

Exactly, but what Judes are doing wouldn't unbalance the competition. But even so a lot would have a 'set' on Judes as a result. However at the same time there is no rules against it.

No it isn't. There is no parish rule in Dublin so it leaves the system open to abuse. And there is an unfairness to it. Eamon Fennell was able to transfer from within Dublin from O'Tooles to Vinnies basically because he wanted to play with a better team.

Remember the Seanie Johnston 'I can see your house from here' Cavan to Kildare farce?

Lots of things in the GAA have done since it's inception that should be ripped up. Not least the intercounty provincial championships etc. But they don't.

It is that type of narrow minded GAA attitude that means the GAA moves extremely slowly. And the attitude is 'sure that is how it always has been done!'

It took covid to make the GAA try a spilt season for club and county! And it has worked brilliantly.

• Advertisement

Kilmacud are having a bit of success now, but they have been also rans for a long time. The competition is unbalanced in that Dublin clubs dominate Leinster, just as the county side does. But not nearly as much in national titles. There should be enough competition in Dublin for other clubs to dominate in future.

You want to rip it up because you don't like one transfer out of over three thousand that took place, never mind jumping to crying about how slow the change is, you haven't demonstrated that a change is needed at all! Talking about a narrow minded attitude when your entire problem is because you didn't like that a good player joined a good team.

Nobody needs a transfer system based on subjectivity, where some lad decides what is fair or not based on whether he thinks the player is too good, or whether the club is too good, or what mood he is in on the day. There is a system there that works perfectly well, I still haven't seen one valid reason for it to be ripped up.

I agree, I have seen Jack McCaffery toiling away with his club clontarf, with no notion of getting in asses roar of a Dublin title. Because basically his teammates are not good enough. He even has to check his runs because he is too fast for a lot of his teammates going for one-two's.Clontarf actually got relegated from Senior 1 this year by close rivals Raheny in a relegation play off.

As for Raheny, they are a middle of the road senior 1 team with intercounty stars like Fenton, Howard, McMahon. But they haven't got the squad depth to compete with big Dublin clubs.

Raheny are still backboned by a cohort of lads that were on the the 2011 Minor Dublin panel. And a Raheny clubman I know is proud that the club don't have 'blow in's'. I always joke to him that the Raheny Garda Station must be full of culchies. Plenty of choice!

Did you read my post? I didn't just mention one transfer, and the system is not fit for purpose in Dublin clubs in particular. I am not sure if you know the story of Parnell's from about 10 years ago (another poster posted some details). Parnell's went the whole hog on the import route. And the arse fell out of it. Most outside Parnell's were delighted.

But it ripped the soul out of the club to the extent that Cluxton didn't want to play with the main team anymore. And much preferred to play with the lads he grew up with, That is an extreme example of what can happen.

The Walsh transfer looks like winning Kilmacud an AI, it already got them out of Dublin. Which they definitely would have lost without him. It basically changed the whole dynamic of the competition. There should be a fairer system. It should not be that difficult to implement once it is done clearly and everyone knows where they stand.

One player did not "change the whole dynamic of the competition" ffs.

Player can only transfer back to club he transferred from if it is within two years. A few Dublin lads tried to do similar transferring to Meath clubs.

Plunketts and Slyvesters done similar 9/10 years ago bringing a load of outside players. At least Na Fianna got their act together at juvenile and probably now one of the biggest clubs on the northside.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,724 ✭✭✭billyhead

It did of course no way would Crokes have won Dublin without Walsh for a start.Particularly with Crokes main man Mannion out. Walsh was magic in the Dublin final.

Changed the whole dynamic of not only the club championship- but changed the dynamic of Crokes themselves. Crokes went from a very good side to a side with added X factor which took them to another level.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭YabaDabaDooley

What a brilliant goal for Dunloy who lead by 5 with 15 left. Thomas looking a little flat thus far.

Advertisement