Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Club Championships 2022/23

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,979 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

How many different clubs those David Clifford play for in Kerry ?

Every weekend you're seeing 'he scored xxx this club' etc

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭C4000

Was at the Naas v Shinrone game. Naas' dominance was reflected on the scoreboard. The goals they got were very well worked, great interplay and took their chances well. Particularly impressed with no.15 Cathal Downing who gave a fine display setting up a couple of the goals with great running and vision. Shinrone couldn't get any foothold in attack and got a bit loose with their challenges when the game was gone, with a predictable straight red card resulting.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭deisedude

2. Fossa is his actual club and they won the junior today.

East Kerry are a divisional team made up of players from junior and intermediate clubs and they play other divisions and primarily the big town clubs. They won't be allowed represent Kerry in Munster

• Registered Users Posts: 4,238 ✭✭✭munster87

Yeah only the 2 teams, he scores enough for 5 or 6 teams though.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,820 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

How do they decide who represents Kerry. Is it a playoff ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭deisedude

Kerry have 2 senior championship competitions. The more prestigious one involves clubs and divisional sides and if a club wins that they represent Kerry in the All Ireland series.

The second competition is a senior club championship and if a divisional team wins the other competition then the winner of the club competition represents Kerry. Kerins O'Rahillys won it and they will represent Kerry in Munster as East Kerry won the Senior Football Championship.

Bit of a convoluted system but regardless of what level your club are at a player has the opportunity to play in the senior championship if they are good enough.

We tried it divisional in Limerick for a few years back but wasn't very popular. Especially when it looked like one could win the championship.

Strange to have parallel championships though.

Post edited by breezy1985 on

• Registered Users Posts: 6 yellowbelly1980

Big win for Naomh Barrog against Oulart yesterday. Thought Oulart would have been one of the favourites for leinster. Barrog the winners of Dublin's senior 3 which would be junior A in Wexford. The standard in Dublin must be very high or is Wexford's dropping I wonder. Great to see Naas winning as well brilliant club team and would give anyone a game of it.

Big win for Naomh Barrog against Oulart

There should be none of them winning Leinster. Naomh should get the boot to teach their hooligan fans some manners.

Looked very bad alright. Surely there will be punishments dished out to both clubs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,229 ✭✭✭tanko

What happened there?

I see the video now, the durty scumbags wouldn’t chillax themselves.

Whatever about the fight on the pitch I don't know what happened there but the hard men in the stand definitely let their clubs down.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,354 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

There was Dublin intermediate football final final a few years back. Think it was Lusk v Barrog. Game was getting very tense and a mother in the crowd got fired up. Took offence to something and her substitute son ‘intervened’ in the argument. Wouldn’t be surprised if it was the same mother! At the time it did not get much media attention.

Barrog draws.a lot of players from Kilbarrack.

For those outside Dublin parts of Kilbarrack would have a rough enough reputation. So there would be a minority dog eat dog mindset from some eejits. Majority decent people though.

And the real irony for me is the site where Barrog’s clubhouse/pitch is (lovely clubhouse by the way) was originally earmarked as a women’s prison!

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,110 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Those salt o' de oorth types have no place in the game if they can't behave.

Good game in Dr.Cullen Park earlier, and fair play to Mullins, they deserved the win. Even when Ferns reeled off 1-2 I think (was certainly 1-1) early on, they resettled to build a lead by half-time. And every time Ferns hit a couple of points in a row, they always answered with the next score. Ferns battled all the way but missed their one clear goal chance of the day- may well have pushed on to a date in Croker had that gone in. Marty Kavanagh is some operator. Best for Ferns were Eoin Murphy and Jonny Dwyer.

As nice as it is for clubs to play in Croker, I think it makes it less likely of there being a shock. Double-header in Tullamore or O'Moore Park would be far more atmospheric.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Treble double

Can't understand people's confusion with the Kerry Championship system. Its simple really, they have eight senior clubs, any clubs that aren't senior are eligible to combine within their divisional area to make up the divisional team ie. East Kerry, Mid Kerry, South Kerry etc and play senior championship

It does 2 thing:

Gives every player in the county that is good enough a chance to play senior football and it drives the standard of the senior championship which in turn helps the county team.

They are no fools in Kerry when it comes to football and other counties could do worse than have a look at seeing would implementing it be viable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭MacDanger

How does it work in Kerry as regards which team takes priority for training - do players train with their own club or with the divisional side or both? And how does the scheduling of matches work - presumably it's senior one weekend and junior/intermediate the next?

Having divisional sides is a great idea to give junior/inter players exposure at a higher level but I think it would be difficult for counties with no recent tradition of divisional teams to introduce them - we used to have them in Mayo (North, East & West Mayo teams won county titles as recently as the late 60s) but they died out for whatever reason. An attempt was made to resurrect them in the early 00s I think but they ended up being bottom of the group mostly as far as I recall as it fizzled out.

I haven't a clue. But a trend is developing in alot of counties now where the big towns are dominating the championships. In Munster Tralee, Newcastlwest, Ennis and Clonmel are in the the semifinals, the days of a band of brothers bringing the small village to glory are almost extinct. I think Divisional teams are inevitable due to rural depopulation.

You ask valid questions and obviously it is easier to implement in a one code county like Kerry. It probably be very hard to implement in a two code county. It shouldn't be a problem in Mayo.

Austin Stacks, Eire Og and Clonmel have always been very big clubs and each have about 20 titles going back 100 years. Newcastle West have been a big club in Limerick for a good while now so they don't really back that up. I don't know much about the current Kerry champions in fairness.

Divisional sides are pointless for tackling rural depopulation because if the local clubs don't have enough players for a team then how can they feed into a divisional side. Fully amalgamated clubs is what would be needed in that case.

• Advertisement

Not arguing that these haven't always been strong clubs (Kerin's ORahillys in Kerry not Stacks) but they are now becoming dominant and the rural club winning a county championship let a lone a provincial championship is a rare occurrence.

Most rural parishes are able to field teams but teams that are competitive now that's a different story. A Divisional team allows the good players from these parishes to play senior championship. The local parish retains a team even if that is Junior B and the good players still get the opportunity to play senior, I think it is a good model.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

Pretty much all of the time club training would take priority over divisional sides.

It's common to hear that the best time to draw a divisional side is in the first round of the county championship as they might only have a few training sessions done. - I think the East Kerry manager said they had something like three sessions done before the first round of the county championship this year.

The scheduling for games is done in batches as opposed to weeks on/ week off so as the county championship goes on the divisional sides become more fluent/in tune.

Calendar this year was basically county league while championship was on.

After the All-Ireland the various club championships (senior, intermediate, premier junior, junior) group stages were played off starting the weekend after the All-Ireland.

Week break and the county championship started. 8 Divisional sides and 8 senior teams.

When teams went out of the county championship affected when the knock-out stages of the club championship were finished.

The Kerry club structure is far superior to pretty much every other counties structure especially if you are a player at an intermediate or junior club.

I remember seeing some stats a few years back saying the proportion of Kerry players from junior and intermediate clubs was way higher compared to pretty much every other county.

As regards rural depopulation, divisional sides aren't a magic bullet but I think they definitely help especially in terms of the better lads still lining out for their clubs as opposed to looking to transfer to bigger clubs. [Not saying there are no transfers but I think the divisional sides mean there is less of a reason for the better players (intercounty/potential intercounty players) to go looking for a transfer as they know that even if they are a junior club playing in one of the lower divisions if they play well they still have the divisional sides to display their ability to selectors. ]

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Cheers - having the two senior championships (club & county) facilitates the existence of the divisional sides by the looks of it? It means that the junior/inter championships are over before the divisional sides start playing

I always wondered why Kerry had so many intermediate players etc. That explains it.

But to be honest I don’t really get the Kerry divisional system at all. Seems foreign to me.

It is as mad as the Kerry tradition of having ‘non playing’ representative county captains from a winning side, can’t get my head around that either.

I like the Dublin system now way better than it was years ago. Group stages first more games, cream rises to the top. Can’t fluke it. Everything nice and streamlined. Teams get there on merit.

In Dublin the equivalent would be a club championship for local based players and then a club championship with all the imports involved. In all seriousness Dublin is totally different to most of the country as a lot of the young population gravitate towards the capital

Haha don’t start me on the ‘imports’ I have very mixed feelings about that.

On the breakdown in Kerry it makes a bit more sense. But still, is the Kerry thing of playing for two teams that I find mad. Surely gets conflicted at times?

I remember when the third level teams could play in the Dublin championship. And could still play for other clubs. Made a farce of things.

Not really conflicted in Kerry you can only compete with a divisional team in Championship if your club is not senior so not with 2 teams in same competition.

Could be conflict with training with your club team and divisional team alright but they probably have that well worked out.

As I said before Kerry is for all intents and purposes a one code county, probably wouldn't work in a 2 code county.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

Not quite correct - the group stages of the intermediate/junior were over but not the knock-out stages.

There were some grumblings because of the gap - was 10 weeks for the junior/intermediate players who weren't involved with the divisional sides. The managers of the clubs were moaning a bit but it was more along the lines of "this is not an ideal situation" as opposed to any sort of call to do away with divisional sides or anything.

People need to get away from the idea that it's two clubs - David Clifford has only one club - Fossa - playing for a divisional side is more similar to playing for an intercounty team, a schools team or a third level team. Overall there's not really that much conflict between the clubs and divisional sides. It's not zero but it's not really a huge source of friction. It's pretty much always clubs first over divisional sides.

Divisional sides the same as the Kerry model probably wouldn't work in the bigger fully two code counties like Cork or Galway (although Cork still has divisional sides in both their hurling and football championsips) because of the scheduling but Kerry play a fair bit of club hurling so that I think scheduling wise it would be possible in the vast majority of counties.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,982 ✭✭✭threeball

Terrible quality in this Downs/Ratoath game. Kilmacud will eat either of them for breakfast. Way below the standard of other teams left like Ballybay, Moycullen, Clonmel etc. For two counties who are basically football counties its a sad indictment of the quality within the county.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Jarhead_Tendler

I thought the Downs were ok in spells. Ratoath were brutal though with the exception of the Mcgowan lad. Looked to be very weak and poorly coached

Advertisement