Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Club Championships 2022/23

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,859 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Can't understand why club games outside of the AI final are in Croke Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,982 ✭✭✭threeball

Both couldn't control the ball for any length of time. Compare it to the way crokes can do that here, injecting pace when needed. And I don't think Crokes are the standout team left in the competition. If both counties want to improve at IC they need to address the quality of their club game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭YabaDabaDooley

Very flat atmosphere by the sounds of it on RTE. You could hear a pin drop it's so quiet. Is there even 500 people there?

I'd prefer both of todays games played as stand alone fixtures and one of the teams with home advantage.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,394 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

The conditions in the first half were dreadful and, regardless, comparing both teams to one of the best teams in the country (and that was even the case before they got Walsh in), is a bit much. And, honestly, the quality of the second game isn't anything to shout home about. Crokes have far more quality but have been very sloppy.

The club championship in Meath has never had any bearing on how the county team has performed. The Meath club championship has historically been extremely competitive with many different teams in the running to win it. The Meath champions won Leinster 3 times in 7 years back in the late 70s/early 80s yet the county team was dreadful. In the glory years from the mid-80s to 2001, only one Meath club team made a Leinster final.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,378 ✭✭✭robbiezero

This game is awful.

Crokes have been no more than ok. Defending efficiently. Portarlington have been hopeless.

Almost thinking of switching over to the rugby its so poor. Shane Walsh taken off with 20 to go, no need of risking him.

• Advertisement

Kilmacud should dispose of The Downs challenge with relative ease in the Leinster final. I presume it will be in Croke Park again. They look a very fit team and keep it tight at the back. If they had Walsh and Mannion up front no club team would beat them this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,111 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

I usually wouldn't be rooting for the petrodollar Dublin super clubs against their rural opponents, but such was the Portalington supporters dreadful behaviour a few weeks ago, that I am delighted they got well beaten tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭blowitupref

A little harsh on the Downs v Rathoath match which was easily the more enjoyable game of the two on RTE this evening. I do agree I can't see the Down getting close to Kilmacud in the final as the Dublin outfit are so well drilled and won't give the time and room on the ball as Ratoath gave.

Ballybay BTW was knocked out last weekend, well beaten by Kilcoo. Debatable what Westmeath are better at the moment, footballers Div 3 team while hurlers Div 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Treble double

Kilmacud have a bigger pick than some counties and on top of that recruit a star player from another province. With all that they don't play with any flair, tight at the back, safe in possession generic rubbish that is the standard safe Gaa coaching up and down the country.

They won't be beaten in Leinster but hopefully someone stops them from grinding their way to a title in the All Ireland series

Good game here on TG4. Lovely day. Nice crowd making a lot of noise. My Irish is poor but sounds like Ballyea played against the breeze in first half but on tv it looks like a calm enough day.

• Advertisement

Could be an upset in Galway where Loughrea lead by 3 points at the break.

Tony Kelly only one score from a 65 he's hit a couple of wides. Not at his best so far.

Tony Kelly first score from play mid way through second half. Barrs doing a lot of running look very fit team. Down a man for most of the game but you wouldn't know it. Anyones game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Jarhead_Tendler

Finbarrs the better team so far for me this half. They have not shown it on the scoreboard though

Kelly stepped it up in last 10 mins. Couple from play. Two 65s. Helping out the defence. Showing his class.

Ballyhea somehow manage to hold out. A missed 65 which Ballyea disputed but looked a definate correct call sees the Clare champions into a Munster final.

Barrs looked a better team for a lot of the game but the red card probably told in the end. With a full compliment for the 50 + minutes they were down to 14 men they'd more than likely have won.

Good win for Ballyea but they don't look a top team and i'd be surprised if they troubled either Na Piarsaigh of Ballygunner in the Munster final.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,512 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Barrs would have won that with 15 v 15 I think. Playing with 14 since the 10th minute was very tough.

Either way, the Munster winners will surely come from the second game.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,983 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Anything can happen in Club games esp finals. No pressure on Ballyea which is what could go in there favour

The Munster final is on Saturday 3rd Dec this year which is a little odd

St Thomas denied a historic 5 in a row in Galway by a valiant effort from Loughrea who will both have to do it all again next week. Sounds like a top class final. 'One of the best finals' said the Galway reporter.

A step up in quality this second game for sure. Some great points and a brilliant goal apiece. A clash of the titans. Really high quality fare.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭conor05

Like a different sport compared to the first match.

Na Piarsaigh are a carbon copy of the Limerick senior team, big, tough and very skilful.

Can give it to you any way you want it aswel.

Very entertaining game so far, Ballygunnar's crown is under pressure. All three goals were top drawer.

But NAP have over-stepped the mark physically a couple of times. Needless follow throughs when the whistle has gone and macho stuff like that.

The conditioning of both teans is exemplary. Not a spare pound or two anywhere to be seen. Rarely see a man carrying a bit of a ned kelly anymore. You'd only be fooling yourself in that cut throat environment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

Unbelievable quality. Both those clubs could win the leinster senior intercounty championship

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭conor05

Doubt it, Waterford are a very poor Liam McCarthy team so don’t think their club team are going to do any better.

I could see Na Piarsaigh beating Wexford, Clare, Waterford, Cork and Dublin.

Na Piarsaigh some team but i wouldn't fancy them to beat any of those county teams.

Ballygunner came out fighting like the champions they are. Goal and a point in quick succession. All square.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,859 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Harry Ruddle the 'Ballyhale Slayer' is on. Ballygunner have dominated the second half.

• Advertisement

And yet they couldn't beat Ballygunnar from a supposedly poor Liam McCarthy county.

Ridiculous comment.

Advertisement