Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FI Charts ( T120+ onwards) Summer 2022 **READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST POST**

Options
1789101113»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭Cumhachtach

Exactly Sryan. And June was the best summer month of 1992. I was between Inter Cert (pre Junior cert!) and leaving cert. Weather was lovely in June for hay making and coming in watching Euro 92 in the evenings. I went back to boarding school, leaving cert, at the end of August. Day temps 13-16 at the end of that month. The dormitories felt really cold in September, like winter. I was stationed in one which was always freezing, and nicknamed Siberia!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,528 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Your typical changeable, unsettled Irish month with lots of cloud and some very wet days. The cold Atlantic made the westerlies colder than usual and led to well below average temperatures across the country both by day and by night, especially in the west. Temperature anomalies were over 2 degrees below average. A fair amount of stations had their highest temp of the month as only 17 or 18C. There was also common ground frost - even local air frost. A pretty grim harvesting month.

Also led into one of the coldest Octobers on record.

IIRC the 30th of September was the warmest day of the month, 18c reached. My uncle died that day and it sticks in my head. Just a pet day in the month though.

January had an awful anticyclonic gloom. Unlike the sun this January.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Billcarson

I really liked autumn 92. Felt very seasonal overall. There was some wintry showers about around mid October. I had hoped that autumn 92 was a sign that winter 92/93 would be a decent winter but sadly that was not really the case,although there was some decent frosty spells during December. There was no proper cold snowy spell. There was a cold snap near the end of Jan 93 with cold air coming across from Canada which gave some heavy wet snow showers, I think the west and northwest might have done well out of that.

Monday 11 Jan 1993 had snow showers on a north westerly that reached well inland, and the end of the month, but that was it. Halloween week had daytime temps of 6-10C (1992) which was chilly for that early. But as you say no proper wintry outbreak over winter 1992/93.

There was a cold blast at the end of February 1993, early March, only a couple of days and daytime temps were 3-6c. April, May, June 1993 were really wet iirc.

• Advertisement

The models will eagerly be awaited today.

Sore throats and chest infections tend to be rampant when you get a sudden change to autumn.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,528 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Met bulletin suggests 6th and 18th were the warmest days of September 1992 from a humid southwesterly giving 21C but there is no mention of the national max that month. My dataset gives a max of 21.0C on 18th at Dungarvan. I believe that's the lowest national Sep max since at least 1986, even 2015 which was also a notably cold Sep managed slightly higher with 21.4C. 2015 did achieve 24C in Scotland on the 30th and -1.3C at the same station on the same day, both the highest and lowest temps in the UK in Sep 2015.

I had a feeling you'd have been a fan of that autumn, autumn 1993 too I would think given the second consecutive very cold Oct with record frosts and the cold Nov with the easterly. 1993-94 was a zonal winter but least each month did provide some kind of interest. Better than a lot of what the recent decade brought.

One thing I dread about this coming winter is with energy prices, I anticipate guilt tripping of those wishing for a cold winter will reach crazy numbers.

I see that re. September 1992 warmest days. I'm blaming south east radio!! They used give half hourly updates, which obviously weren't correct.

Some fella, name escapes me from Weather Call, used come onto local radio every Friday evening and give a forecast with a bit of sensationalism. He gave -9c nights and ice days for early March 1993. Was 6c and -3c nights.

Yes you are right about the 11th jan 93 . looking at the archives,all that cold air coming out of Canada .

Yes syran, l loved autumns, 92 and 93. Felt a bit cheated though at the time though cos the winters that followed each weren't great. Though considering how poor many of our winters have been recently I would probably take similar winters now.

I liked autumn 90 aswell. Some light frosts late Sept. A cold snap near the end of October and one or 2 frosty spells in Nov,and at least winter 90/91 wasn't bad.

• Advertisement

Thanks Bill. First Monday back in school after Christmas. Stuck in my head. Snow as far south east as Carlow.

GFS 12z rolling out early FI and that low is really hanging around from 2nd September. Suppose it's 6/7 days out. But coming up consistently now.

ECM keeps the breakdown to around 3 wet, cool days and high pressure powers up from the south at the end of the run. That would help the drought and give us hope of more summery weather in the second week of September.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Is their an autumn thread

• Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭Dazler97

• Registered Users Posts: 6,055 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

an ‘Indian summer’ looking very likely now as head towards the equinox.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,903 ✭✭✭pauldry

Yes after Sunday and Monday the rain fest is over for a while and high pressure and temperatures of 18 to 22c take hold once more.

An Indian summer is more to do with good weather in October. Strictly speaking an Indian summer is summer like weather after the first frosts of the season ( or something like that). Though getting summer like weather after the first frosts would be more a north America thing ( native north americans being the Indians of course) with that being a continental climate, with quick turn arounds at times during the autumn.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭highdef

I don't think a warm settled spell in September can be classified as an Indian Summer. I think the warm settled spell needs to occur in October to qualify. I'm open to correction.

• Advertisement

Your right. Often summer like weather in September is called an Indian summer but its really October.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,055 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

I never gave the meaning of an ‘Indian summer’ much thought and just presumed it was summer like weather in autumn.

Anyway, still looks good this morning.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,737 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Looks very nice from next weekend, could get 5 to 6 days of high pressure with temperatures around 20C. However it is not an Indian summer. An Indian summer usually takes place in October or November and usually after the first frost of the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Quite cool by Sunday morning on the 12Z GFS.

Scotland gets an air frost by month's end...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,737 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

GFS 12z opens up the door to the artic towards the end of it's run with possibly the first snows of the season in Scandinavia and temperatures in Scotland struggling to reach 5 or 6C by day.

Ok just noticed now we're still posting in the summer FI thread when they should be in the autumn thread. This thread will now be closed.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058261265/fi-charts-t120-onwards-autumn-2022-read-mod-note-in-first-post

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement