Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How did you score in your last round? - 2022

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Was that prize announced ahead of the comp?

Seems like a big prize to giveaway and bound to result in a stupid score coming in

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Yea its always our first comp of the year, been won by ridiculous scores the last 3 years. Normally entered by about 65/70 golfers this year there was just 50. That could be down to the weather or people just not arsed with comps anymore because if you are genuine you have to shoot way under your handicap. Like i would have had to shoot 68 to beat him which is -3 under. I knew I had no chance starting off anyway.

Might be worth suggesting they break it into 3 prizes and give it out as discounted membership, separated by classes

Yea something like that would be fair. I think second prize still gets a hefty prize. Membership is 400 for the year so all the bandits will be out to win it.

You wont see some of them enter a comp now again until captains, or just a couple to make sure they have enough cards in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭blue note

I'm not sure if it would be fair to separate out a big prize like that. Far fewer lower handicap players. You'll have far fewer of them competing for the prize.

If you're going to have a prize like that people should have a similar chance of winning.

Or maybe give a bigger discount to the higher handicap guys to reflect the smaller chance they'd have of winning it. Then get some popcorn and watch the madness unfold :)

• Advertisement

Don't most clubs split their classes broadly to give an equal spread of members?

My club revises their classes each year depending on the make up of membership.

Could be something like

Class 1 - <12

Class 2 - 13-17

Class 3 - 18-23

Class 4 - >23

• Registered Users Posts: 21,099 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

I think I know the club if I'm correct in saying it's in Mayo. The winner has really, really, really struggled with his game since WHS came in!

Yea found it very hard to adapt to the new system I think. You would feel sorry for these lads :D Pretty sure he is a member of your club also!!

He is indeed, cleaned up in the Winter League! Can regain form occasionally in team comps and on Tuesday evenings (non counting Tuesday 10 hole comp)... Won it last week with 30 points for 10 holes.

An All Ireland Jimmy Buen winner from a few years ago, must be hard for him to accept that he has drifted out to 17 but let's hope he can get back down again. A great golfer, he'll get through this inconsistent patch.

Its amazing how these lads consistently perform good in non counting when there is no pressure. It must be just a mental thing with them.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭rickis tache

36 off 12.

8 pars

8 bogeys

2 dbl bogey.

Was going well at first but 2 sloppy dbl bogeys on front 9 hurt away chance of a win. Possible small cut coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭blue note

31 points from a playing handicap of 19 in Tramore yesterday. It was my first competition in there where I had two shots on a hole since about 2001 I reckon. I'm not delighted about that!

I committed to making changes to my swing along with changing my irons and I'm not getting to the range to practice those changes, so there's a bit of a lag there. I was tilting the clubhead at address which promoted a pull. But I used to aim right so I was generally quite accurate with the irons. But at the moment, I think I sometimes revert to type and aim a bit right, but get the clubhead flat so hit where I aim. That caught me out a few times. But by far the biggest difficulty I'm having with them is getting used to chipping. I would have picked out a bump and run with my 8 iron as a strength of my game. I'd more often than not leave myself a very makeable putt, so if I had 9 of them in a round, I'd at least get a couple and on a good day could get 5 or 6. I was chipping on 9 holes from a few yards from the green yesterday. 2 of them tricky shots, 7 fairly straightforward where you'd really hope for an up and down. I wouldn't even say I left myself a 50/50 putt on any of them. I even 3 putted one of them and was relieved with a couple of the two putts.

On top of that I 3 putted another two greens. I actually made some decent putts that I should never have had to make due to really bad first putts. If I can sort out those first putts I'll save myself a few shots per round. And my driver cost me 2 holes. For some reason the 11th I can't keep my driver in play on. There's loads of room. From where I aim you'd need to slice it a good 50 metres to lose the ball. I overcompensated and hit trees to the left just in front of the tee. Then I sliced my provisional 60m lost. Then on 16 I just hit it too well and too straight. I expected a little fade at least, but instead I hit it dead straight and as pure as I'm able straight into bushes left of the fairway bunkers.

So I wouldn't be too downbeat about my round. Even though clearly what I need is practice and I can't see when I'm going to get it! I think I'll get there, but it'll just take longer. I was hoping for a counting round for my handicap, generally I use the ones away from home, but this one isn't in my top 8 so I actually went up .3. But I've 5 atrocious rounds which will clear out with my next 5 cards, so at worst my handicap will be the same over my next few rounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭bigtimecharlie

First full 18 holes and first comp last Saturday, poor 26 points.

No part of game was good so lessons next weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,993 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

2 horrendous rounds in a row last week and today. 22 points last week and 24 this week. Off 13 at the moment but feel like I should be off 18 realistically. Last qualifying round I played before last week was end of August last year according to my golf Ireland app. I feel like handicaps should be adjusted up if you haven't played in a significant period. I put my scores in but I need a couple of more bad rounds before some counting rounds fall outside my last 20. Just going to have to power through a few more miserable rounds to hopefully get to a handicap that I can actually play to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭coillcam

Played a team event in Naas on Monday. First time playing there and I have to say it's a great course. The back 9 in particular was memorable. We were well out of the running in the team scoring but I would have had 35 points off 16. The highlights were two birdies including a memorable hole-out from the bunker on the 3rd and a long double breaker on the 15th. Found water twice unfortunately but otherwise, it was my best performance on a new course.

Would really like to play it again and also from the back tees.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

40 points off 19 in Rathfarnham today.

1 Birdie. 5 Pars. 9 Bogeys. 3 Doubles.

Should hopefully get a decent cut after that. I drove the shíte out of the ball, was playing with a mate off 3 who is a decent enough driver of the ball and he only outdrove me once all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,410 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

34 points in Lahinch Old Course yesterday off 9 (course handicap 10) - Played off green tees as 2 members with us are a bit older. Played a few holes off whites then as they said the views are far nicer

Actually played great bar 3 disasters of holes stuck in bunkers. Sand was very tough to get out of (but as good a sand quality I’ve ever seen)

The course is fantastic

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭frink

33 points in Sandy Hills - Rosapenna off the Blues off 4. Played a solid round but just had 3 mistakes causing doubles but glad to have found some form after playing awful until then. Loved it, thought it was a brilliant course

1 birdie

12 pars

2 bogeys

3 doubles

Wow oh wow. By far my worst round of the last 5 years. Wondered if my arms were attached numerous times.

18 points for the round off 12. 8 points front nine and 10 back.

Back tees and a stiff breeze but mother of sweet divine baby jebus I was terrible. Driving was shocking with no idea if it was going to go left, right or even behind lol. Irons all fatted. Putting was atrocious with numerous 3 and a couple of 4 putts.

Still going to play Tuesday though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Played first two competitions of the year the easter weekend and weekend prior. Mixed bag really but both ended up counting and some positive signs.

86 strokes, 5 down V Par off 10. First comp of the year and a frost delay meant we were teeing off with a massive crowd around. I would normally never get nervous in this situation but for whatever reason I started to feel terribly nervous before my tee shot, legs were like jelly which was weird. Barely made contact with the club and topped a drive about 60 yards in front of the tee box. Recovered for a double but the rest of the front 9 was a bit of a battle. Recovered nicely on the back 9 but my pars came at the wrong holes for me so couldn't make back the holes I'd lost V par on the front.

82 strokes, 34 points off 10. For a brief period I thought I'd finally cracked the game of golf. I started birdie, par, birdie, par, birdie to be -3 walking onto the 6th tee. I took one club too many and ended up the back of the green. 4 putted for a double. Then went double, double, bogey on the front 9. I didn't make any massive mistakes just some poor decision making after a bad shot. The 4 putt shook me a bit as I tried to make up for a poor drive on the next by playing a ridiculous shot that I might pull off 1 time out of 100. Back 9 was a much more normal affair although my putting really let me down for the first 5 holes, I was GIR on 4 of the 5 and 3 putted 4 of them. Got a bit of momentum back by paring the difficult 14th and finished with a par on the 18th as well. This was the first round where I really felt I was getting the benefit of the irons I was fit for. I had 11 GIRs which I don't think I've done in a long time and felt I could have easily broken 80 if I had composed myself a bit at times. I was playing with people I didn't know, all nice guys but occasionally I didn't stick to my routine, particularly around the greens and paid the price for it. Lesson learned there though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

84 gross off 1 in the April medal.

Tough day. Strong easterly wind meant the first few holes played v difficult and some v poor shots meant aspirations of a decent round were all but gone after only 6 holes.

No aspect of my game was particularly good but really struggling with my driving at the moment. No matter what I try, I cannot seem to maximise my distance when holes are downbreeze; the ball is not reaching its apex and drops out of the sky like a shot duck. Knuckleballs are fine into the wind but down breeze they are costing me significant yardage.

Have tried basics like ball forward in stance, make sure Im hitting it on the up etc as well as several different head and shaft combinations but to no avail. Likely quite a severe flaw with how Im releasing the club to blame but struggling to figure it out.

Oh well, sure we'll keep at it and try again next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭coillcam

+4 net off 16 for the first medal/major of the year. Quite a strange round tbh. At times I felt like I was going to par everything and at other stages, I was thinking I'm going to be hitting double figures for a hole. A quad and two triples killed any chance of a score. Still, this will be one of my best 8 and probably cut me by 0.2. My best round by miles is due to drop off in 4 rounds so I'd expect a decent swing the other way in a few weeks time. (EDIT: was cut by 0.3).

Post edited by coillcam on

• Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Played a V-Par competition this morning. Finished 2 Down playing off 17. Was Level standing on 16 tee. Scratched 16 which is a gettable Par 3 by hitting my tee shot OOB. Saved bogey on 17. Then on 18 hit a monster drive and then took 5 shots to get down from 120 yards 🤦‍♂️

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

V Par on Sunday. Finished -6 off 18 but happy enough with my play with the exception of duffing a few pitches. 2 Drives OB and 3 putts went in and out of the hole (one rolled and rolled 20ft downhill afterwards)

Only 3 players beat the course and 3 more finished level from 140 players so course won hands down

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

2nd in Singles on Friday 38 pts. Best gross score ever of back tees and still had a few lip outs so really happy the direction my game is going especially my approach play.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

36 Points in the Open in Ardee.

The birdie came from the wrong fairway after I went through the dogleg.

Greens are the fastest I've played on since last year, comically fast in places with the undulations. Even with birdie putts certain pins you just couldnt take a run at them or you could be off the green.

Down to 11.5 index now

Thought here we go again with the poor golf with bogey on first four holes and then a triple. Considered going home when I got back to clubhouse after 9 and only 10 points scored. Then I decided no stick it out and don't be a tw@t just try and find something with the driver as it was killing me on the front. Glad I did and had 20 back.

30 points off 12 and I just need to keep a tempo in the driver and hopefully that'll stop the silly scratches off the tee.

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Lefty2Guns

40 points off 17.

Was 2 over par (21 points) going onto the 9th hole par 3. Ended up with a 6.

83 strokes overall which is a personal record for me on the course. Delighted as I have made some adjustments to my game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Played in the Open today. Not my best golf but still happy enough considering, savage weather and regretted not wearing the shorts.

Recently went back to my pro and changed to a heavier stiffer shaft in my driver as I was having a bit of a two way miss after picking up some clubhead speed. Still getting used to trusting the shape and flight and it caught me out badly on 1 and 14.

Horseshoed two I felt should have dropped, the worst on 9 where the ball went around and came back to the front and sat on the lip.

Just indecisive on the par3's and didnt commit on any of them. Then went and 3 putted the 18th after ramming one past and miss the one back.

Advertisement