Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How did you score in your last round? - 2022

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭macslash

I have had a busy few weekends golf wise and I've lost 5 shots over the last 2 weeks.

I had 41 points in an Open Competition 2 Friday's ago (playing off 23), and was beaten by a 41! Ended up losing a shot.

The next day I had 42 on my home course (off 22) and was beaten to first by a 43! Again, lost a shot.

Last weekend was the first GOTY comp and the first stroke. The best I've ever managed in a stroke format before then was +3, 73 (so something like 96 or 97 strokes). Last Sunday I had an 82 (off 21) which gave me 61! And I was beaten by a 60!! Couldn't believe it. And lost 3 shots in that one round.

I don't mind losing the shots. My goal was to get down to the teens this year. I'm 2 years playing this month so I'm happy out. I'm just surprised I have dropped so quick. Consistency is the key. 82 was by far the best round I'd ever had. And it could have been so much better had I not tripled the 16th.

Over the last 2 years I broke 90 twice. One was a fluke in 2020 and the other was last September. Now 3 of my last 4 rounds have been in the 80's. Representing the club in the All Ireland Four Ball this weekend now. First time doing so. Nervous but looking forward at the same time. I just hope I remember what I've been doing!!

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭rickis tache

Played in Tralee intermediate scratch cup today.

82 gross off 12 so a 70 nett. 40 front nine 42 back.

1 birdie

9 pars

3 bogeys

5 dbl bogeys

Drove the ball well and putted very well too but irons were only meh.

Had a great chance of eagle on the last.

Serious track but 5 hours is tough going with only 3 balls allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭GandhiwasfromBallyfermot

I played in my first competition over the weekend since joining a club, 18h singles stableford. I shot 35 points off a playing handicap of 18 (Handicap Index 17). It was really a tale of what could have been though. I was nervous as hell starting off after getting paired with two guys playing off less than 5 and I had the shakes bad. As a result I scratched 3 out of the first 5 holes and only finished off the front nine with 12 points! The two lads were dead sound though and great to play with so that calmed me down and I pulled it together for the back nine. I had 4 pars and a birdie on the back nine which gave me 23 points and a great confidence booster that the game is there.

I also got cut a shot off my HI so I'm down to 16 now. My aim for the summer is to get more experience playing in competitions and get my HI down to the low teens. Looking forward to next weekend's competition already.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭coillcam

Last couple of rounds have been under 30 points, scores have dropped back to the mid 90s. Most elements of my game are very inconsistent, particularly driving with a 2 way miss. Only bright spot is that I did have some nice irons at the end of the round and my bunker play has been excellent. General fitness has gone backwards so I suspect this is part of it. Anyway time to hit the practice area and range.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Played an evening round yesterday with ELGuapo from here.

Wasn't perfect weather, we got hit with a few showers here and there but not bad over all. Best round in years and on a much tougher course so really happy with the score.

Short game was very good on the day and holed a few putts that were low percentage. At the same time I knocked down 3 tee shots ( one into a hazard) and shanked a chip on the 14th so it balances out I guess. Apart from the knock downs the driver behaved where it needed to and the irons were just good enough to score.

10.4 Index now so I'm going to try and push for single figures this year but happy if I can stay where I am.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

After a great few weeks where I have knocked 2 shots off my WHI I had an absolute dumpster fire of a round in our first GoY comp on Monday just gone. 22 points and that was flattering. My driver has been unreal the past few weeks and it just totally disappeared. 3 of my first 4 drives were slices so bad I'm convinced they went further right than they did away from me.

Then that afternoon played first round of my match play and shot 36 points, the Guinness I inhaled in between rounds obviously worked. Driver wasn't all the way back but at least I was finding the planet. Actually drove my ball over the green on our Par 4 13th. 318 yard blind downhill dogleg left and had a nice helping wind off the right. Eventually won it with a Par on the 19th hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,829 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

OK - where do I start.

I haven't posted too many full rounds - due to work , various other commitments on and off the course. But just back from one of the oddest rounds of my life. Said I'd post for posterity.

I was playing Sandy Hills in Rosapenna - a place I just adore , I love Pat Ruddy courses , I love Donegal , I love the views , the courses there, the people.

The wind was touching on daft (as always seem to be the case there) - but with the sun out - who cares , you are playing golf, away from work - etc. My game has been poor enough for a few years - and even when good - it is like a 76 / 77 at best , then I can go out and be near 90. My swing is just technically wrong - and results in very inconsistent results and ball flights.

The front 9 you were hitting at times a 2 or 3 club wind - and I was 7 over. Not great - but was tough out there , on a tough course. But then the fun happened on the back 9. Was floating along plying well. Got to 16 - and I was facing a tough uphill hole into a strong wind. I decided I would try get the ball past the hole and see would wind push ball back towards pin after landing. The shot was only 126 yards - but between , wind, green backstop , elevated green - I hit a 7 iron - it literally did exactly what was in my mind - and bang, spun back into the hole for my 2nd hole in 1. 😂

I was with a few friends - and the scream was hilarious - it genuinely was amazing to watch it. I got past the next hole hardly able to hit the ball. But then hit a great drive on 18, to leave me - you guessed it, about 126 yards to pin. The wind was even stronger , and decided to play a shot I mess about with on the range - a back foot trap draw - with the same club - a 7 iron.

The ball flight was literally perfect and exactly what I wanted it to do. And bang, in the hole for a 2 (eagle finish) .

We were just all laughing - as none of us had seen anything like it.

I finished with a 78 (6 over) - But one I will never forget.

Nothing special has happened in my game for years - and at times you feel , it is all a bit over. Then this game gives you something crazy. Yes complete flukes - but there was a small bit of me proud - that they were shots I was trying to do , and for one day , in one place - I was able to do it twice in 3 holes.

I had a great meal that night - with great friends and a few too many pints after. But what a day and night. Yes - I paid the bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭The Aul Switcharoo

This is the definition of golf. It tries to f#*k you so much until you want to put the clubs onto adverts and then, boom, 43pts and the dreams of being on tour happen again!

85 strokes in the Saturday singles. Not as good as the 80 but felt I scored alot worse, sign of improvement I guess.

3 triples and a 3 putt in there along with a good birdie

10 index exact now.

Congrats aswell fix, I'll bring it up next time you day your not a good golfer

32 points today off 16. I played casual round yesterday and was 4 better. Today was a mixed bag but my putting was great. Had back to back birdies which was the highlight including a nice chip on a par 3. There recently was a short game/putting masterclass with our pro and Gordon from Slieve Russel. I feel putting section from Gordon is really starting to pay off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭higster

Tad hungover this morning but decided to enter comp. HC 22.9 (playing HC 25)

22 points after 9 (44 shots, one bad hole cost me, beat 9 holes I’ve had bar 1). 

28 points after 11 holes (3 points on 10 & 11). 

Best golf of my life (from a low baseline granted), couple birdies even and left a few shots behind. 

Wife rang while on 12th tee box (I know, I know shouldn’t have answered it but extremely rare she calls when I’m golfing so thought something was wrong but thankfully all was ok). Anyhow, told her I was flying it…….

Then the wheels came off (and last night finally caught up with me). 6 points from the remaining 7 holes. Total 34 points and 98 shots. 

Gutted.

85 Strokes, 33 Points of a course HC of 12 in Headfort New

The round felt much worse than the last day but scored decent I thought.

3 Triples,two lost balls,8 bogies,6 pars and a good birdie in there.

Found the greens/pins were playing tougher today but probably just missing in the wrong places. Wasn't a great day of striking on my part.

An even 10 Index now

I've had that before. Phone is always on silent but noticed on the turn she had rang. Nothing she would have rang me with normally but forgot I was on the course, wound me up ( the story she rang about not her) and couldnt hit a ball out of my way. Now I text to find out whats up instead of ringing 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭rickis tache

84 gross off 11 stroke of medal tees.

After a great day's play in tralee it was business as usual on my home course.

1 birdie

6 pars

9 bogeys

2 double bogeys

Driving was great for first 8 holes but tiredness took over quickly and I got sloppy. The 2 double bogeys were back to back on 13 and 14 with seemingly easy second shots required but compounded bad approach shots with worse short chips. Putting was OK but coming from being able to use putter off the greens in tralee to thick greenside rough was the real downfall to any challenging score.

Very happy with driving bar the fatigue.

Irons were OK.

Short game poor.

Putting wasn't great so will work on that this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭willabur

first sunday comp in a while - captains qualifier. 38 points which should be more than enough to get the job done. Really strange game, felt like I was not striking the ball well at all. Putter and scrambling were all strong for the most part.

Scratch on the second was annoying, its an easy enough hole but got a hard bounce off the tee into dead man zone. Failed to take medicine by pitching out sideways. Nice run of holes until the 7th. Perfect tee shot, got a little flag hungry on what was a red light flag. Hopped ball beside flag but it hopped high into crap at the back. Further down the score card I gave away entire shots with some flubs. Could easily have been my first 40+ round off a single handicap... Still feel the game was in good shape, especially my putting

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Played a good bit of golf the last 2 weeks some shocking some good.

Took advantage of the 3 Links ticket in Rosapenna and played the 3 courses over 2 days. Was a good idea at the time but was knackered playing St Patrick's Links on the Friday. We went off the second tees from the back which were the longest out and with the wind was probably not the best idea as a lot of the holes were playing long.

Sandy Hills - 88(81 Nett) - 27pts. Serious wind was at least 3 club lengths most of the time. A great course and was just struggling to find the pace of the greens and find the fairway. Was pulling everything left with the irons and short.

Old Tom - 84(77 Nett) - 30pts. Same wind again but the course is a bit more forgiving than SH, turned with 16pts and started with a 3pointer so was hoping for the best on the back nine but the game just wasn't there. Struggles with the putter again, the 36 holes is probably too much for me when you are looking for balls every second hole.

St Patrick's Links 86(78 Nett)- 29pts. What a course this is, truly is beautiful if you can play it do. I will be back but will wait a year or 2 for it to fully develop. Started with 1pt for the first 3 holes so wasn't looking good for the day but managed to put a decent score together for the last 15 holes. Wind was tough again and i just couldnt get my distance right on my irons which was the story of the 2 days.

Played my home track then this weekend and played very well.

75(68 Nett) - 39pts. Was hitting the irons so well compared to the previous week. The third cost me my best round ever. On the green for 2, lipped out for birdie. Had a 2 footer back, left the pin in but it was leaning right so aimed left side of the hole and pulled the putt. Was raging and tapped the other one back and missed it and then picked up. Should have been an easy Par.

Down to my lowest my of 6.3 but need to keep up the form as I have 3 or 4 low ones coming off in the next 5 or 6 rounds.

Apologies for the long post :D

Got out yesterday evening with ElGuapo for a knock on the Old in some great weather. Wasn't pretty golf most of the time but it went in the hole well enough. Although on 16 Elguapo chipped it into the hole and spun it back out, made the follow up putt though

Birdie on 3 was a punch out of the trees that ended up pin high. Still 5 over after a silly double on the 8th on the front 9 so I thought a good score was off the cards as I'd usually score worse on the back.

Started Bogey but then a string of 3 easy pars. Pulled my tee shot on the par 3 left and had to chip under a tree and over a bunker, so I hit it through the tree onto the green pin high 😂. Next hole is usually an easy par and good chance at birdie, 3i hook around the corner then wedge at most. Hit a 4 yard draw and stymied myself behind a tree. Tried a hook chip and caught a bit of a broken branch i didn't see and it just fumbled right up behind another tree. Tried the hook chip again and thought I'd killed myself just missing the tree by a hair but got it on the green and two putted for bogey but then finished with 3 pars to shoot 8 over off CH of 11.

Index ticked down to 9.6 overnight so single figures, just have to keep it there now

• Registered Users Posts: 12,433 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

That chip will haunt my dreams for some time to come! I flirted with greatness for a very brief moment. 😂

Very well played by you though. Held your nerve when you found yourself in tough spots and putted like your life depended on it. Solid golf.

Congrats again on the single figures. Well deserved. 👍

Nobody:

Me: Don't say it, don't say it......... surely 9.4 is single figures

• Registered Users Posts: 12,433 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

• Advertisement

Great stuff dan - you have seriously turned yourself into a good golfer over the last few years.

Hard work ?

Practice ?

Coach ?

I hit bad shots less 😂

Changed pro a few years back and seen real improvement and the more I went back the more improvement I seen. Really work on every lesson now aswell until I have it right and it usually pays off.

There's more to it,but basically I hit the ball better. Feel my course strategy was always sound enough I can just hit the shots now. Still loads of room for improvement but thats always the way I guess.

Starts with a 9 so it'll do me, 100% if anyone asks its 9.6 not 10 anyway ha

I am just kidding... Fair play, its no mean feat

Nice write up Duckslice on Rosapenna... I still haven't recovered from my own 3 rounds there.

Whilst Donegal is becoming my favourite golf county ...Reading your write up and thinking about my own experiences up there. (The last now 4 times)

Perhaps the weather is just always like that...mad wind , with incredible bursts of rain...

I must look up stats on weather there versus Dublin.

Yea the weather was tough, but we still got sunburnt and had the umbrellas out at points too. Was a real mixed bag.

Will definitely be playing more golf in Donegal. So many good courses up there but its such a long drive to most of them. I have only played Rosapenna and Murvagh in Donegal so lots more to knock off the bucket list.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭bakerbhoy

Scoring has been in the tropics (mid30s) recently which is an improvement . We won our club tues 4 ball this week,but I am still throwing in those card rockers.

33 today off 16. Had a head cold last few days and still feeling it. Wrecked coming off 18 but glad I went out.

Managed 2 birdies including a chip in, both for 2 weeks in a row. A couple of scratches from ob drive and not taking medicine playing from a bad lie in a hazard was the only real negatives. Hit a par 5 in 2 for first time this season also. Putting was okay but nothing over 5 foot was near dropping. Swapped out my 4i utility for a 4 hybrid and much happier reaching for it tbh.

Some great signs and I still feel I've a few low rounds in me if Itidy things a little. Lost my lowest differential round so my index will probably jump by 0.5 or so tonight.

77(+6)/36pts PH of 6

Was a tail of 2 different nines for this round, wasnt hitting any greens on the front nine as my driving just wasnt getting the ball out there so was leaving me a longer iron in than usual. Was a strong crosswind which always seemed to be hurting the distance no matter what i done with it. Missed a good few short putts for par's too which was getting in my head a bit.

Chipped in (texas wedge) on the 7th for a birdie to get some sort of a score on the front nine of 16pts.

Played very well on the back nine, had 6 birdie putts, 1 lipped out and the rest were good efforts but just came up short.

Down to 5.9 now, need a low 70's round in the next 4 to stay there.

5/14 FIR, 8/18 GIR, 32putts. I've started using the Golf Metrics app and it really shows where you were good and bad in the round. i was a plus 10 handicap for short game, but an 11 handicap for putting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,534 ✭✭✭blue note

I played Portmarnock links yesterday. I love playing that course. It's just a fun challenge.

I'd only played once in the last couple of months, so wasn't sure what would happen. 1st hole I hit 4i, 7i to about 10 feet - was this a sign of things to come? Then I three putted - maybe this was the sign of things to come!

But then on next lost my first drive left and finished with a 7. But so far the 5 full shots I hit were struck very well, so I was optimistic. And I played well from the third through to the thirteenth.

On the par 5 4th I gave myself an eagle putt. It's the third eagle putt I've had on the course, but I'd three putted the previous two. This time I don't think you'd call it a three putt - I sent the first off the green, all the way down run off. Then I putted back onto the green and sank an 8 footer for a solid par! I had a handle on the speed after that and putted reasonably well for the rest of the round.

Without a doubt the highlight of my round was the par 4 5th hole. I know I'm playing golf, not a long drive competition, but it's always nice to hit a big one. I'd be above average distance wise and my previous longest on the watch was 300 on the button. I'd had a few 296, 297,298 sort of distance. Yesterday I hit 320. I know this is shameless bragging, but fcuk it, I felt like the man! Obviously it was downwind and must have run ike a Kenyan. To top it off I hit a sandwedge on and sank the putt for the bird. I'm meant to say that was the important thing, but it wasn't. 320 from the tee was!

I generally played well then until 14 when the wheels just came off. Took an extra club for my green approach because I didn't like the look of my lie. Went long, lost ball, hadn't played a provisional. Parred the next. Then hit a perfect drive on 16. Hitting a gap wedge into the green and I shanked it! Another lost ball and another scratch. Par 3 next, duffed my 4i off the tee. Ended up with another scratch. I came in with a bogey at least.

36 points overall.

1 bird

7 pars

5 bogeys

1 double

4 scratches

Looking at my last score here from the whites i think this will give me a SD of 14.2. Which will replace an 18.7 so I should be coming down half a shot which is nice. Looking through my rounds though I do notice I'm jumping at the chance to play away courses. 10 of my 20 rounds are on away courses. And 7 of those are counting. I love corballis, but I've a mental block on it at this stage. I'm not capable of a decent score there, let alone good.

Advertisement