Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How did you score in your last round? - 2022

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

9.4 now 😉😁

Played Dundalk(87), Slieve Russell(90) and Mullingar(80) this week but never really scored on them. Couldnt seem to putt the ball in the hole for those three rounds although severe wind in S.R didn't help matters. Then played the Old today and had a great scoring round aside from silly double and a triple from an OOB. The triple stung as it's usually a very good chance at birdie. I'm not sure now if I'm a single figure golfer or just one when I'm playing my home course.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Motivator

Played a club stroke comp off the back tees today. All I can say is what a crazy game we play, why I do this to myself each week is beyond me.

Was level par through 6, probably the toughest stretch on the course. That’s the good part, the bad part is I had 6 birdie putts including two from probably three feet and didn’t hole any of them. I then proceeded to double the next 3 holes out of nowhere to finish the front +6. I was in shock walking off the 9th green.

I then went birdie - birdie - birdie to get myself back on track and then again out of nowhere went double - double - triple - double. Finished with two pars but god almighty I’m still scratching my head about how things went so badly wrong in different stages.

My ball striking was exceptional, as was my distance control. I was just in the zone with my irons and unfortunately due to the good weather our course has really firmed up which brings a links feel to the fairways and greens. Our index 1 I hit a dream of a 6 iron which I thought would finish very close to the hole and it took a vicious kick and ended up kicking fully 30 yards right of the green and into really thick, tall rough. Just a really bad break but these things happen.

Theres a good score coming, I just need to remain patient and get myself adjusted to the return of summer golf and baked out fairways and greens.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Played the weekly comp at the home course this weekend. 32pts (6PH)

Started off with a disaster of a drive which was pulled OB to start off with an 8. Steadied the ship on the next 4 holes to be 9 points after 5 holes, and turned on 16pts. The back nine was a story of missed putts, missing 3 from inside 3 feet which would have been 3 more pts. An OB drive on the last hole which is usually an easy par cost me also, although I did manage 5 for a point.

Was happy with how I played mostly, the 1st cost me a decent score but managed to get it to a respectable score.

4/14 FIR, 8/18 GIR 33 Putts

Have started using GolfMetrics for the last 2 months and its showing up that my putting is way off what it should be for my handicap and its all down to missing short putts. Too many missed from inside 2/3 feet. So have to put a plan together on getting that where it should be. The short game is probably not as good as suggested below as on the home course you putt a lot from 5/6 yards off the green and i follow the PGA method of a Putt is only a Putt if its on the green. I think Driving is probably correct as I'm not the longest off the tee so i lost shots for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭willabur

fair play - my point was only that 9.5 gets rounded up to 10 so 9.4 would be the threshold for a single figure handicap and I will add the word index as that is the one that is universal

• Registered Users Posts: 4,397 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Does utter, utter, utter shite qualify as a score?

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭coillcam

Had 37 points off 16 which was good enough for 4th overall and 2nd in my category last weekend. However, I managed to ping the win for the PGA Tankard which was a secondary comp for the same day. This means I'm off to Royal Tara at some point to represent the club with the Pro and Lady's Tankard winner.

Funny old round as golf tends to be. Scratched two holes (inc index 18) and had a middling front 9. Had a rare good birdie look on index 1 and 3-stabbed. Then on the back 9 something clicked with my irons. I dropped a birdie just after the turn and pushed on from there. Captain's prize coming up in a few weeks. Feel I'm in a good place to give it a rattle. Hit the range earlier in the week and shored up the driver, definitely helped out. Will try to squeeze in a few extra rounds and some practice where possible.

Played the first round of the matchplay comp and I was dumped out by the 13th. I was actually 1 up through 3 and playing quite well at that point. Lost absolutely every facet of my game thereafter I never won a hole while barely scraping a few halves. My opponent played well but he wasn't shooting the lights out by any means. I was easily 8-10 shots over my hc by the 10th if not conceding holes. It really sucked to be conceding a few holes without even attempting a putt. This was a real eye-opener from a mentality perspective. If it was strokeplay or stableford I believe I would have been able to mentally reset or re-focus myself somewhat easier and pull back a few strokes on the back 9. I think I was at times trying too hard to win the hole rather than playing the hole and accepting a half while waiting for opportunities. Particularly when I went a couple down. A good lesson for the future nonetheless.

Captain's qualifier done with +3 nett. Highly unlikely to make it to next week tbh barring some poor scoring.

Was poking my way around, not being too aggressive, and waiting for opportunities that just weren't really forthcoming but I was staying in it. In general, my scrambling was good and parred 15 & 16 to drag myself back to nett level with two to play. Unfortunately, I completely unravelled on 17 and 18 without trying to force the issue. A double followed by a triple. So incredibly frustrating to put 3 or 4 horrible swings in a row on both holes. Prior to that, there was only one hole I could say that I played poorly. I wasn't nervous or rushing it just simply didn't happen for me. Nonetheless, I'm happy with how I approached the first 16 holes and on another day I would have been 2 or 3 putts better off coming into 17.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Weekly comp, had 29pts(PH6)

I played well except for 4 holes and the double on the last was just trying to be too smart with a tricky pin. Should have went for middle of the green and it was an easy 2 putt from there as the pin was in the bottom of a bowl.

OB on the 1st and 10th, and just a poor hole on the 6th cost me a half decent round of golf.

4/14 FIR

3/18 GIR

29 Putts

SG:

Drive: -1.9

Approach: -4.5

Short: -2.3

Putts: 0

I find myself in a situation now where i have to put together a run of at least 3 scores of 36pts or better in the next 6 rounds to keep my handicap at around 6 or 7. So if I don't turn my bad form around I could go out to 8 very quickly. I'm dropping a Score differential of 2,4 and 5 in those rounds. I hate this system for this but I suppose its only reacting to my current form.

Captain's final round done over the weekend. Surprisingly scraped into the last couple of groups. It was a proper test, very windy with some strong gusts and fast, firm greens. Had a fairly manic round that included a 10 & an 8 on par 5s - both truly awful stuff tbf. However, I also had 3x birdies which was a first for me! An eagle putt that wasn't far off and a 305yd drive (nice wind assist tbf). Ended up with +5 nett. Always great to play a medal comp from the back tees, a real challenge.

The winner had -10 nett on R1 off 48 which drew a few grumbles from the gallery. He was a few over on R1 and won by 1 in the end. The guy in 2nd missed a short birdie putt on 18 to force a playoff. Normally an absolute shark with the broom handle putter but that really was an uncharacteristic miss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭finglashoop

Last few rounds have been 85,82,92,94 and then today 79 for first time breaking 80 🙄

Very few GIR but up and down from everywhere, putter was working very well and off the tee was good enough. Could do with a lesson on my irons,same old not compressing them that creeps in from time to time.

Yeah, I think he joined in the last couple of years. His scores were consistently high. He has improved somewhat and the HC system is only catching up now. Tbf to the guy he had 11,10 & 9 on his card in round 1. The funniest part of his final round was on the 9th par 4 which is right in front of the clubhouse he drilled it about 240-ish and hit the middle of the green before rolling through the back. Chipped it and almost rolled off the far side of the green and then drained a monster par putt for net eagle in front of the crowd (his only gross par on the round). The two single-figure lads he was against stitched the pin for kick-in birdies. It's not a case of banditry btw, he just improved at a faster rate than whs was able to catch up.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Nice work Dan, making solid progress. Congrats on the breaking 80 milestone

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭finglashoop

Thanks, feels very up and down but slowly getting steadier

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭willabur

I dunno whats worse, the 48 handicap or the lad with the broomstick putter :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Shot 87 off the blues in our stroke play competition today, which i was very happy about. My golf of late has been awful, so happy to put a decent score up.

Had a bad 3 putt where i missed one from 2 feet, and two that lipped out, but other then that played well. Hit almost all fairways, and never was in serious trouble off the tee, which is the first time in a very long time that's happened. Hope its the end of my driving woes, but will give it a few more rounds before celebrating.

Had 37 points for T2 (5th on countback) yesterday. One scratched par 5 on back 9 did the damage.

All-round my game was steady and left a couple of putts short. Happy enough in general with all aspects being decent without excelling. Playing Palmerstown tomorrow, hopefully, the weather is decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,518 ✭✭✭blue note

I played Corballis, my home club for the first time since March yesterday in a 4ball matchplay. It was a very good match in fairness, hardly a hole halved. We were 2 down after 5, 3 up after 12. I thought we were going to go 3 up on 15 - I was in for par and one of them had a 15-20 foot putt for half. He got it. Then on 16 I was on the green in 2, the same guy was in the rough on the right. If the lie is decent, you're still flying it to the green and trying to stop it on the top deck. Leaving yourself a 15 foot putt would have been an excellent shot. He did just that and then holed the putt while I three putted. I actually mishit the first putt to leave myself two and a half feet short. That left us one down. Then they won 17 with a par, we'd 2 bogies. On 18 one of their lads had a shot. My partner hit the green in two, their lad was short of the run up area to the green. Low chance of an up and down, but he got it onto the green to leave himself a chance. My partner had a massive putt which stopped 2 inches short of the hole. Their lad hit a terrible putt leaving himself about 5 feet. Which he got to bring it to the 19th. The same guy hit the green on the first and two putted, we both missed and finished with bogies. In fairness to them, it was a great way to win the match. It was probably 45 feet of putts holed by them on the last 4 holes to bring it to a playoff. If I did that I'd be chuffed.

It was a very good match, just a pity to end up on the wrong side of it. There were only a couple of holes halved with bogies, it was par or nothing all day. And with handicaps between 10 and 17 I reckon that's pretty decent.

From my own game point of view, I hate to admit it but my swing has disappeared on the back 9 in each of my last 4 rounds. I was hitting it very well until the 13th tee. I reckon I hit the railing to stop it finishing on the beach. I hit it onto the beach with my next tee shot and then hit two fat ones. Sliced my next drive and then my drive on the following hole. Pushed my tee shot on 17 and same on 18. Of my full shots from 13, I'd say I mishit 8 of 10. Whereas up to 12 I hit 16 full shots and I was happy with the strikes on 12 of them. Similar stories in each of my 3 preceding rounds. I'm wondering now should I start bringing more food to the course, or rolling my bag. My swing shouldn't disappear like that.

I'd have had 33 points on my own yesterday playing off 15. Even with the bad swings on the last 6 holes, in fairness I'd have had 10 points from them, so I was getting away with a bit. But it was 6 pars, 2 scratches, 2 three putts from not three putting range. Fairly respectable golf. I couldn't submit because we had gimmies, but I doubt it would quite have counted anyway.

Edit: I just looked back at the scores - of the 19 holes, the only time a hole a gross bogey halved or won a hole was on 18 when they halved the hole with one. Other than that, 4 holes were halved with pars, 13 won with pars and 2 with a birdie. I don't have a whole lot of experience in 4ball matchplay, but I reckon that's pretty good for our handicaps.

Post edited by blue note on

• Advertisement

Shot 85/38 points tonight, on a stunning evening in Kerry. Actually started badly with 3 double bogeys in the first 4 holes, but had a par and 2 birdies on the 3rd, 5th and 6th (drove the green again, oh yeah!). Another double bogey on 7 after putting the ball in the water, then went and played really steadily for the rest of the round, with a nice birdie on 16 and finished with nice up and down par on the par 3 18th.

Hit some really nice shots (high shot from 50 yards over a tree to 10 feet on the 13th was the highlight), and finally finally feel like i'm getting my driving on track. One or two not great ones (1 in particular went into the stratosphere!), but the rest were dead straight and travelled a mile. Playing again on Sunday morning, and hoping to shoot another similar round.

Post edited by Kiith on

Was +1 nett in today's major.

Had my first eagle after holing from 60 yards. Otherwise a mixed round with a few doubles cancelling out my pars. Putted well but the driver too often left me in trouble and also provided an ob.

Kind of stuck in a plateau at the moment. There's always a few mistakes keeping me from breaking through. Probably lessons and more practice needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭bigtimecharlie

Tale of 2 rounds:

Minor scratch cup at home club 2 weeks ago, ultra conservative golf, but 10 3 putts and a 4 putt. Lost 4 drives, 2 on the 10th. Poor chipping to add to everything bad and finished with 118.

Out Yesterday in Stableford off the whites. Had an 8 on the first after 3rd to green bounced OBB. And then 4th to the 7th bounced on green and fell to the left, ball never found so scratched hole. Then it all fell into place, 6i to fringe of green on par 3 8th, rolled putt to 1 foot and tapped in for par. Good drive on 9 and then 7i to be short of greenside bunker, wedge to 5 feet and rolled in par putt!. Took 2 putts for a bogey 5 on 10th. 7w on par 3 11th found the green, took my 2 putts for another par. Good drive on 11th found center of fairway and then 7w to be pin high left of green, wedge to 4 feet and rolled in another par. Nosebleed time. I finished bogey, bogey, bogey for a back 9 in 45 strokes, my best 9 holes with a scorecard.

Finished with 48 points so expect a big cut from 32 handicap. It's being coming, the lessons are really bearing fruit.

Bit of an odd round yesterday. Only 33 points, but had 5 birdies. Was quite unlucky on a few shots (lost ball on my 1st drive of the day that I was convinced was safe on the fairway, unlucky bounce off the green into a hazard on the par 3 7th etc...), and was punished for them.

Overall happy with it. Short game was great though, and putting has improved. Drives still a bit wild, but nowhere near as bad as it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭macvin

newish golfer.

Played many years ago, recently been playing a bit of society golf, finally joined a club 2 weeks ago

Gross scores on 7 games I've played

114 - 112 - 109 - 111 (not home course) - 108 - 104 (back tees comp) - 102.

Aim is to break 100 by end of this week (playing 3, possibly 4 times) and break 90 on regular basis by end Aug playing average 3 games a week.

Initial Hcap 30.7 reduced today to 29.6

Question is, can I break 90 regularly by end of Aug? (used to do it, but that was 25 years ago, but was only plying once a week then)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,518 ✭✭✭blue note

I'll be impressed if you can. Breaking 90 regularly is tough for most people. An 18 handicapper will probably do it 1 in 5 times or something like that. To do it the majority of the time I'd say you're probably looking at a 15 handicapper or thereabouts. And that's a decent handicap. A lot of people would put a lot of effort in for years and not get there.

But if you were doing it regularly 25 years ago and get to play a lot by the end of August it's not impossible. Nothing wrong with having a target anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Mac_Lad71

Shot 35 points off a course handicap of 10 which was 7 pars and 11 bogeys for 81 gross on par 70 home course.

This included three 3 putts...all on par 3's. Managed to par the three par 5's so was happy not to have a 6 on my card.

WHS cut from 8.7 to 8.5.

I'll give it one hell of a try 😁 - My aim is to do very well in a particular cup contest (110 year old society cup) where the rules from many decades ago was that a handicap of 24 or under was a requirement to qualify to win the trophy.

It may be doable. My main advice would be to find a tee club that stays in play consistently. Even if you're only hitting it 150-180 yards. After that practice short game - wedge, chip, putt. I've played with plenty of older mid-handicappers who have no bother breaking 90. They never hit it over 200 yards on the tee and "keep it between the ditches" every time. My index is 14 atm and I'm trying to break 90 every time I play. It's probably about only 30-40% of the time over the last couple of months.

• Advertisement

Wednesday 102

Today 101 - included a horrible 9 on a par 4 16th

Both opens, so hcap probably dropping a little tomorrow.

Getting there 😁

Advertisement