Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How did you score in your last round? - 2022

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭paulos53

I equalled my best ever round of 74 today. +2 for 44 points.

It was a mixture of good golf, some nice breaks when needed and a few crucial putts for pars and bogeys to keep the momentum going. It should result in a 1 shot cut and my lowest handicap since WHS came in.

3 birdies

10 pars

5 bogeys

9 Fairways in regulation

8 Greens in regulation

27 putts + 1 holed chip

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

Fantastic stuff Paulos, sounds like you're on a hot run of form, great playing 👏 Hopefully see you at an outing sometime in the future 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Lefty2Guns

38 points for me on Saturday. Scratched the Index 1 17th only blob on the card.

Missed about 5 putts from within 2 feet for Pars / Bogeys. My putting is usually my strong point.

Don't think 38 points will be enough to win my Category this weekend, 41/42 is generally the winning score.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,816 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭paulos53

I was brought back down to earth yesterday. 2 balls hit into gorse bushes and another out of bounds on the front 9. The delusion that I had suddenly become a great golfer lasted less than 24 hours 😊

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭token56

35 points for me in our October singles comp. Just didn't hit enough fairways with the driver which meant chipping out a lot and never giving myself good chances at pars. Still consistent golf for me with my 4th round in the 80s out my last 5 having only broken 90 once before this year.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

My good run of form since my lesson / practice is continuing (Mount Juliet excluded!!) when I shot another round in the 80’s on Saturday, my 4th in my last 5 rounds, an 87 to go with my 84,88 & 89.

The only frustrating thing with my round Saturday was I had 4 x 3putts and all were silly brain farts.

I had 2 birdies on the front 9 on both Par 5’s, one a simple tap in and the other I drained a monster putt.

Had a few more chances for birdies and left a few on the lip but am still very happy the direction my game is going.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭eggy81

34points off 22 in tullamore last Saturday off the blues

I’ve had a poor year really scoring wise drifting from 19 out to 22 and failing to break 90 all summer after breaking it 3 times last year. Feel like I’m hitting the ball much further and with better consistency in general but I don’t get a score going and have a tendency for the wheels to utterly fall off.

well Sunday I started with 6 bogeys in a row, 3 of which are had par puts inside 5 feet. That put me in a nice position having had 2 shots on the 3rd and 5th. Scratched the par 5 7th after a great drive and the finished strongly with 2 pars to turn with 20 points.

Doubled 11 and 12 to move back to level for my handicap and then bogeys on 12 13 and index 1 14 left me in great shape to break my handicap for first time this year. Hit my dive on par 5 15th long but pushed right and came down in the little clump of trees. I tried to chip a 5 iron under the over hanging branches but over the drain but somehow pitched it into the drain despite it being hit well and on a low trajectory. Dropped for my 4th and smashed a huge 3 wood up to the left green side bunker into the rough just to the left of it. Hit a poor chip and ended up scratching. Should have got a point. On to 16 and another big drive with a slight draw ran a foot through the fairway leaving an 8 iron to the green. Unbelievably I dumped it in the water. I was fuming after this mistake and dumped another one in there with it after dropping out. Scratch and a disaster after the drive considering I have 2 shots on the hole. Recovered to stick a lovely 5 iron on middle of 17th green but 3 putted. Angry on 18 I nailed a 290 drive down the 18th but pushed it slightly into the right hand rough. The trees on the right were hampering my approach so I aimed towards the left bunker and hit an 8 iron over the corner of the trees trying to get a bit of fade. I tried to come but carried the bunker and landed perched in the lip just behind it 6 feet off the green. Easy up and down for the par.

Probably the best I’ve played this year but so many shots left there.

Don’t think I’m going to start breaking 90 consistently without really upping the playing time which isn’t possible at the moment unfortunately.

Post edited by eggy81 on

What time were you out Saturday eggy81? Not many competition tee times Saturday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭eggy81

9.20. You need to book on the Friday evening the week before hand.

Very few slots if there’s a society due to play actually.

• Advertisement

I was in the group in front of you so, apologies if we were weren’t that quick, one of them is an extremely slow player.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,761 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

87 strokes in the monthly medal off 16.

1 birdie, 7 pars, 5 bogies, 4 doubles and a triple.

FIR 9/14

GIR 10/18

Putts 37 (2, 3 putts)

Quite happy with how I played as not playing much at the moment. That said still far to likely to make double or worse and all pretty much avoidable and generally all it takes is one bad shot to get out of position.

New driver worked well mostly but kept it in the bag as much as possible. Was going well but finished double, par, double, triple. Which was disappointing, 2 of those was taking 2 to get out of bunkers. Bunker play in general is shocking. Still need to get that number of putts down.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭token56

Played twice this weekend.

Saturday was the quarter final of our inter club match play. I was playing a very steady golfer and a match play veteran but he was giving me 4 shots which definitely came into use. I got 2 shots up after 3 holes but let that slip. Got another 2 up by 8 and kept that advantage then until 17 to win 2&1. A very tough match but by all accounts a great scalp from those at the club who know him. I must say I really like match play as format, onto the semi finals now.

Sunday was the medal and with how I played the day before I was feeling good about my game but I just couldn't handle the weather. With the direction of the wind it helped on maybe 3 holes and every other hole is blowing right across or directly into and then the rain came in the second half of the round. It was a really solid wind all day and I just don't quite have the ability yet to manage it, keeping shots low etc, especially driver. Ended up with a 92 off 14 for a net 78. One of my poorer rounds of late but given the conditions I'm not too unhappy.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Innish_Rebel

I'm also not agreeing with the charging for casual rounds but just to clear up I think the handicap secretary still has an input even if you just use the Golf Ireland app. I did that earlier in the year (April i think) & I got a nice (almost apologetic) e-mail from the handicap secretary that the course at the time was still under lift clean & place on fairways & dropping in the rough so my round was not eligible for handicap & would be deleted...

Just to be clear I've entered a couple of other casual rounds since with no issues very happy with the system...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

4 of my last 5 Rounds have been Sub 90 bring my index down 16.5

Yesterday saw me shoot 82 (70) of the forward Tees which is my best gross every.

3 Doubles 7 Bogies 7 Pars and a Birdie for 41 points and 2nd place

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭coillcam

Terrible in the last counting comp. Hadn't played for a couple of weeks. No time to warm up and straight to the first tee. Finished on 23 points. Had 37 putts and 2 pars. Comical stuff but tried not to let it bother me. Look at the positives, I was happy to get a decent walk in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

32 pts in the wind yesterday at k club South course with a few waterballs. Maybe the hardest wind I've played in. Almost aced the par3 17th.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,944 ✭✭✭boccy23

That's some shot! The 17th is a decent hit at any time.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭IAmTitleist

Anyone else sort of waiting for non qualifying now?

At this time of the year i have no motivation to practice or try and improve and so i find myself less willing to play. Balls lost in the mud/under leaves..can't get out in the evening during the week to keep the game ticking over from week to week.

Looking forward to non-qualifying to just enjoy it without worrying about handicap...

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭swededmonkey

My club run 2 man team comps on a saturday which is great for taking the pressure off and enjoying the round whatever way it goes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,099 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Our club run a winter league, 4 man team event. It's a nice relaxed and fun way to golf over the winter, with a different format each week. Glad to see the back of 2022 in terms of competitive golf, handicap only went one way, injury had a big part to play in a frustrating year on that front.

This time of year is probably the worst time for golf imo, it's still counting but with has a lot of the negatives of winter golf. Balls getting lost very easily etc. Haven't played a competitive round in a while as I'm embarrassed enough with where my HC is.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,410 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Would love more comps like this over the winter

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭blue note

I like submitting scores, so when non qualifying sets in I'll be less inclined to play away courses (home course is links so qualifying all year round). Now that I can submit them I find my preference is to always play with a card in my hand.

Team events would work just as well for me but I believe my club had problems running them in the past so we don't really do them now. Basically, people wouldn't show up and then people would be left without partners. Unbelievable that this would happen by a committee member told me that's why they don't do them now.

I do see myself only playing once or twice before Christmas though. I used up all my passes during the season, so am getting more jobs done at weekends now. Which is good in fairness. Although I wouldn't mind a few more rounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭kieran.

Slowly a little bit of consistency has been creeping in to my game. Yesterday it came together for 43 points in the final counting competition of the year. Good enough for the win too!

1 birdie

5 pars

7 bogies

5 doubles

No real blow ups / mistakes: one topped drive and a poor miss from 4 ft, just good steady golf.

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Lefty2Guns

Played Saturday. Started great, 7 pars and 6 bogeys after first 13 holes for 32 points, finished the round on 33 points after scratching the next 4 and double bogey on the last for 1 point.

A disaster. Not the first time I struggled to finish out the last 5 holes.

Started the season on 16 after changing my clubs and swing late last September. Will finish the season on 16.7. Nearly went out to 20 during the summer but getting more consistent with the driving and iron play due to putting in a lot more practice during the later stages of summer.

Roll on next year. My target is to get down to 14.

Played a friendly fourball match with some work colleagues in Ballinasloe over the weekend. Nice little course and they've done buckets of maintenance work over the year that will really pay off next season. The drainage works in particular are extensive. Some nice upgrades are planned on a couple of tee boxes too.

The front 9 was dreadful, I think I was 15+ at the turn with 1 par. Similar to the last outing with 3 putts galore, a couple of lost balls and only one hole where I had two consecutive good shots. Back 9 was a different game with 5x pars once I started to loosen up and find the middle of the clubface. We won the match on 16 where I had a short-sided chip over a bunker that nestled for a tap in par. Chipped in on 18 which was a nice highlight and always keeps you coming back next week.

I know I'm not really practising atm or warming up correctly but I can really gauge the importance of it now. The last three rounds took me 10 holes or so to get going. Irons off the tee for the par 3s were also good including striking the 5i particularly well over the last while. Much improved since lessons in the latter part of the season. Very satisfying as I would have thought of the 5i as a club I'd have 50% commitment in a full shot previously.

Had to look back a page for this thread. I guess there's not much to report this time of year.

Luckily pinged a brilliant day for golf a couple of weekends ago in New Forest with my work colleagues. Barely a whisper for a breeze and reasonably warm. Winter tees were in place for the comps but miles up from the regular boxes. We played the standard forward box (white/yellow) wherever it wasn't boxed off or under repair. Turned in a very respectable 84. If not for us placing everywhere I'd consider this one of my best rounds (1 off pb), particularly on a course that I usually struggle with. Hit a lot of the 7w off the tee and a few 3i. One OB with my first hit of the new 3i, straight out of the wrapper of course 😂. Birdied 17 and 8. A double (pump house unplayable) followed directly by a triple (OB) was the only trouble I experienced.

The 3i is the new Mizuno pro fli hi utility/driving iron with a graphite shaft - picked it up during BF sales. Whatever way the offset, shaft length or specs are, it has a strong draw bias for me at least. A regular swing for me is slightly in/out and produced a hook. To straighten it I had to "feel" like I was hitting a small fade or straight shot. Even then it still produced a small draw. I'll need to drill this a bit but I love the ball flight and it doesn't actually feel hard to hit from the few shots I had. I think the distance and loft may well replace my 4h full time. In particular, there are 3x Par 4s on my home course that it's the perfect tee club for. I still need to figure out what it's like off the deck. BUT my first impression is that it looks big, friendly and forgiving.

Gave my mate's Sim 10.5 driver a belt as well. It felt really nice and stable on a slightly heavier shaft. Bigger head than my TSi3 also. Probably a bad idea to try it as I'm now getting itchy to test drivers over winter 😁.

Advertisement