Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How did you score in your last round? - 2022

Options
  • 20-03-2022 5:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭

Time for a new thread?

First competition of the year for me at my home course and first time on the New course since January. Greens are quite a bit faster than the Old and paired with some awkward flags it took a while to get some kind of pace going.

Wind was sneaky strong at times, mixed with some bad luck and some poor decisions/shots left me shy of a good round.

Hit a rock the size of my fist in the bunker of the 4th that cost me a shot.

3 putt the 5th. 2nd putt went past the hole and nearly rolled back down into the cup

17th just over thought the club/wind and hit two crap shots.

Happy enough though,was a good day out

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭coillcam

First 18 hole comp this season and managed to snag 2nd with 39 points. Conor Moore (the impressionist) won with a couple more points. We still had clean/replace on fairways and dropping in rough so not counting I believe.

I made a rookie mistake that actually cost me the win. I had a bogey putt from a few inches and hit it between my legs backwards which I didn't realise was an illegal type of stroke. I even managed to mishit it and it didn't even go in anyway. A bogey there is a two-pointer and would have been the win on my better back 9. Glad I saved that mistake for a small comp and probably need to learn a bit more on the rules side of things. Aside from that, it would have been a PB score with that "bogey" (83) and I still left a few shots out there. Making good progress with my game atm and am hopeful of breaking 80 this summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭boccy23

Finished -2 on a V-Par yesterday.

Played ok but a few drastic efforts from 50-60 yards in cost me. Was in front of the last and took 4 to get down from there to lose the hole.

We are back playing competing comps and dropped 0.4 on Friday with 37 points. Nice to be playing meaningful golf again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Played two rounds over the long weekend, massive swings in performance so I'll need to hope my consistency improves when I'm playing scoring rounds.

Woodenbridge - Lovely course, 34 points off 10. 85 strokes. Was striking the ball well on the front 9 but a 3 putt bogey from front of the green was a sign of things to come with the round. 1 birdie, 6 pars, 7 bogeys, 4 doubles. Had five 3 putts which isn't like me but it was also my first time out with a new putter and the greens were sanded so hoping not a sign of things to come.

Carlow - 96 strokes. Just an abysmal front 9 holes for me, couldn't swing the club at all and barely found the club face on some shots. Not sure what was going on, went out in 54 shots. I haven't had more than 50 shots on a single 9 since I first joined the club last year 😡

Managed to get something going on the back 9 but I couldn't get to grips with the green speed, not helped by playing the sandy wooden bridge the day before but my playing partner struggled too, they were faster than expected for this time of year. Am getting fitted this Friday so hoping I don't have a repeat of the front 9 when I turn up.

Even with the terrible play I still can't wait to get back out again, its an awful game really 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

Played 2 games in the UK over the weekend, one was a fourball open in The Astbury near Wolverhampton (home of meandmygolf) with my brother a 2 hc and myself 10 and shot 41 pts, played quite well considering I had borrowed clubs and 45pts won on the day, Day 2 was a casual round on Saturday in my brothers club The Chase Golf club with a banging hangover after witnessing a great comeback from the super Leeds at Wolves and shot 85 again with borrowed clubs but this time it was a tale of 2 9s as could not hit the ball out of my way first nine but with a tip from my playing partner Tom Beasley who recently got his euro pro tour card my game improved massively and played back 9 in 3 over so im hoping to work on my game and implement my tip into my golf game going forward and hopefully see improvements

• Registered Users Posts: 4,534 ✭✭✭blue note

Back to Corballis and back to normality. I played the monthly medal yesterday and finished +25. In fairness I played badly, there's no denying that. I wasn't even striking my irons well which is pretty much always something I can rely on. But I didn't feel I played +25 bad!

Looking at my last 4 rounds, I played Portmarnock links twice (the first the boards outing). The first time I played great and had a score differential of 9. No three putts and just one lost ball was the key that day. The second day I played okay and had a score differential of 15.2. The next day was in the heritage. I couldn't submit the score but was +20 while playing rubbish. It was criminal that got away with having a decent score. I'd be surprised if a +20 there isn't a score differential of around 18 or so. And then yesterday my score differential was 25.7. That's over 10 shots worse than my second round in Portmarnock links and I didn't think there was all that much of a difference between how I played in each round. I suspect it was about 8 shots worse than my round in the Heritage and I'd say I played considerably worse in the Heritage. I think the easiest way to lower my handicap is to move clubs.

On what went wrong yesterday - 5 3 putts didn't help. That makes 5 three putts in each of my last 3 rounds, so it's hard to say it's out of character for me now. And I don't know what I was doing with my irons. Maybe not rotating and leaning back while hitting them, so sending them up in the air. I left myself short of the green on 1,4,5,6,7,8,10,13,14. I started taking extra club after a while but the way I was hitting it it wasn't the club that was the issue, they were still coming up short. Bar the couple I actually hit well - they went long and put me in more trouble. I'm also usually good with playing a bump and run with my 8 iron. I was not yesterday - rolling everything well past the hole.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

"I'm also usually good with playing a bump and run with my 8 iron. I was not yesterday - rolling everything well past the hole."

For the first monthly medal of the year the greens are often cut tighter also the spell of dry weather has firmed up the ground

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭willabur

I played in the same monthly medal and had an abysmal 85 strokes.

The course was playing hard, they had the pins in very tricky positions for the most part but they could have had buckets for pins and I would have struggled yesterday. Started off well enough +1 after 3. Sloppy tee shot on 4 set up a bogey then some pure bad course management. 5th hole is a short enough par 4. I hit a cracking 6 iron which rolled out to 233 yards, it was a beaut. But I had no angle to get at the pin and had an awkward yardage. Tried to be cute and ended up short sided myself, tried to be cute again and flubbed by chip, still short sided... A double on the card when if I played the way I should have played which would have been a pitch away from the flag but onto the green it takes the double out of play, mostly likely making a par.

Made a triple on 12 from the middle of the fairway. Doubles on 7 and 11 from not taking enough club off the tee. Lesson to be learned, don't be cute. Play for the fat of the fairway and the green, take the doubles out of play and be happy with pars

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,120 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Played again yesterday and shot 32 points (after 38 on Friday). Got away with a few shocking drives, as i don't get to punished for a big slice on most of our front 9. Driver was all over the place again, and i'm desperate to fix it. Booked another lesson this week, so will see what happens.

Can't beat playing a round in those conditions though. Fantastic weather both days.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,534 ✭✭✭blue note

Conditions were what you dream of at this time of year but the course was playing very hard! The ground was very hard, there was more run than we're used to and the greens were fast. On the second my playing partners were lucky no to run over the ledge with their tee shots. I wasn't lucky. On the 5th I did the sensible thing and didn't chip at the flag. It was the right call - I'd have had to lob it at it and my chances of coming out with a 4 wouldn't be great. whereas my chances of a 6 would have been fairly decent. Of course, my chip was poor and I left myself a longish putt which I left about 8 feet short! Another double.

You'd have expected very good scoring looking out the window. But the winning score was just net -2. I was net +10 though, so I won't say that conditions were the only factor!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭willabur

just goes to show that wind is not the courses only defence. this is at a time where the rough is not up also. Very smart set up that forces us to have a good strategy and not just rely on good ball striking to get around. I nearly tipped over the edge on 2 also, came up just short with a 9iron off the tee

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Played Saturday morning in that glorious sunshine, course was bone dry yet there was placing everywhere, very frustrating as I’m on a bit of a good streak at the moment and wanted to play a counting round.

From my first shot - a 260m bomb don’t the centre of the fairway - I knew everything felt good. For the whole round I drove well, second shot was good, chipping was good but my putter was cold. Too many three putts and I left 2 on the lip of the hole which was a bit frustrating. Was out in a 2 ball with 2 x 4 balls in front meant we didn’t have to rush so after a few holes I started taking an extra few seconds over putts and started rolling them in.

Finished up with 38

points even after all the missed putts and I’m happy with my drive / iron play. Just disappointed that it wasn’t counting.

Must say the pace of play from the 4 balls was great and only took us 3.5 hours to go around with the odd delay. We played ready golf and didn’t delay over any shots, no lost balls from either of us and we stuck to the group in front.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭swededmonkey

31 points for 14 holes. Pretty happy with shooting better than my handicap and finished level par for the last 5. Unfortunately didn't get close to any prizes as it was a pairs competition with 2 to score on par 3's and my partner managed to scratch them all. Flushing irons and drove the ball well but my short game let me down on a few occasions. Definitely felt I left a few behind me. But a big improvement on recent outings, hopefully this continues!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Qualifying kicked off at last this weekend in my place, just placing on fairway.

The indexes have been changed in my place and the 1st and 7th indices flipped meaning I've no shot on the 1st.

In typical fashion, soon as qualifying starts, I knock down my drive, for the first time on that hole in years and stuck it straight in the lake. Par 5 with no stroke, recovered enough to give myself a putt for a point, but missed it and ended up with a scratch.

Outside of that I played steady golf. Drove well, irons were solid, but left a lot of putts on line and just short. 3 lip outs on top of that too.

Finished with 36 points and could have been a little better, off a PH of 9.

Dropping a qualifying round of a 10 differential, so should be replacing it with a slightly better score, so a tiny cut and should be down to my lowest index since the system officially kicked in.

Doing myself out of shots for the winter matchplay I'm playing in though 🤨

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭rickis tache

34 points off 12, 16 out 18 back.

Slight problem with entry of score on computer. Had a birdie 2 on the 16th but managed to put a 5 in its place and a 2 on the next hole....a par 5.....can't wait until the comp sec sees it.

Messy round with lots of silly mistakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

No harm just sending an email to clear it up.

I had a weird one last year where someone signed me into a competition on a Saturday where I was working and got a bit of a telling off for not returning a score 🤔

Anyway the only score of note since for me was in Kilcock with poleforked greens.

I think it was 35 or 34 points, can't seem to find results anywhere for it.

Couldn't hit an iron for most of the round but drove the ball well. Couple of unlucky bounces left me pitching sideways mixed with some destructive decisions had me very few chances of par and some terrible scores on 1,14 and 15. The first I pulled a 3i slightly up the left but bounced more left, a chip out from a muddy lie flew and kept bouncing until it was in the other tree line leaving another chip out 😂

Was a great day weather wise, shirt and shorts all round

Was supposed to be out for 18 Saturday morning but we only played 9 due to rain, was light drizzle for the first 5 holes but got heavy then and we were soaked by the 8th and not in a comp so came in. I was keeping an eye on score as I'm playing my first comp of the year next weekend so took a scorecard with me to try get back into the habit of writing it down. Finished with 16 points off 9 (used my playing handicap, am off 10.3), 42 strokes. First hole can be tough so a bogey is a decent score, had a shocking double on the 2nd after a very bad bunker shot and a 3 putt. Duffed iron on the 3rd and that was how my irons were for the remainder. Drove the ball well, short game and putting was good. Had a chip in birdie on the index 1 so some positives but my iron play was woeful, might have hit one decent iron in the 9 holes. Got fit recently though and hope to have the new irons late April so hoping that helps me improve on that front. If I can keep the driver going well and even marginally improve my iron play I think I should be able to work towards my goals for the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭almostover

Played my first 18 holes of the year at the weekend. Non competition and non counting, pity because I played decent stuff. 8 bogeys, 1 birdie and 9 pars. I'm off 9.4 so that was 38pts. Was happy with how I went because was never in any major trouble, any bogeys were tapped in. Started to strike my newly fitted irons well on the back 9, settling in well with them now. Need to work on lag putts though. Had no 3 putts but had 2 close calls where I made 6-7 foot putts after coming up well short on one long effort and well long on one 3 holes later. Have to get the touch back in tune but lag putting has always been a weakness and this year is the year to fix that. Great to be back at it though.

33 points yesterday, which i was not too annoyed with. Started terribly, with 1 point after 3 due to two bad drives. But birdied the 4th (par 5), parred 5 (par 5) and then got my 2nd ever eagle on the 6th (par 4). 290 yard drive to 5 feet, and sank the putt. Felt good there, and then played relatively well till the 17th where i hooked my drive into the left OB. So definitely a mixed bag, but that eagle took the sting off any bad golf i played.

290 yard drive in this weather is some stuff, following it with an eagle is even better!

Windy day but enjoyable all the same even if the scorecard is one to forget with 29points. Got a lesson last week so still some teething issues.

• Advertisement

Played a few casuals since with some counting.

4 Over for 9 on Headfort Old Front off the Yellows/Forward Tees ( counting) - 3 Bogies

3 Over for 9 on the New Front off the Whites - 3 Bogies

11 Over on the Old off the Whites today (Counting)

1 Dbl,10 Bogies,6 pars and an birdie.

Didn't hit anything particularly well today, scrambled well though. Lesson still isn't bedded in, another range session and a few holes planned with my pro and should see some results. Trending the right way, should have me dropping from 13.5 to 12.1 this week

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭almostover

Maddening round yesterday morning, not because I played badly but because I putted like a moron. I play off 9 and shot a 79 in the first medal strokeplay comp of the year but I hit the ball so well. Hit 12 GIR and had 3 birdies. Wasn't in much trouble off the tee either. Had four 3 putts though. One of which was from about 10feet. Had been putting well of late but missed a tiddler on the 4th by pushing the putt and ended up missing three more 3-4 footers in the round all on the right edge. I had a putting lesson scheduled anyway for tomorrow but it's definitely needed after that. Was -1 for the par 5s which was pleasing. That's golf though, there's some part of the game every day that kicks you up the behind. Was a savage morning for golf at least. Great to be back playing counting comps.

Another poor round on Saturday. Drives were inconistant, long irons were poor and short game was ok. 28 points, and that was with a birdie and a few pars on the tougher holes. Really dropping off towards the end of the round, and have been scratching 2 our of the last 3 constantly lately. Don't think its tiredness, but who knows.

Won't get to play till Nenagh now, so will need to try and hit the range at some point before then.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

2 rounds in at the weekend at my home club. Unfortunately, neither were qualifying, which was very annoying as it was definitely unnecessary and cost me a baby cut.

Medal on Saturday and was a frost delayed start. Sent out in 4-balls rather than 3 to catch up everyone that was delayed. They did a good job of keeping everything flowing smoothly once the course opened and there were no major delays which was great.

Shot an 81, off 9, to be level for the round. Good solid front 9, 3 over, with 1 bird, 5 pars, 2 bogeys, 1 double. The double was poor, pulled drive, ok recovery, too greedy with my 3rd which clipped a tree & left me with a tricky up & down on a nasty green which I failed to convert. The birdie was on the next hole though, which was a nice way to bounce-back. Back 9, was 6 over with 5 pars, 3 bogeys, 1 triple. 2 of the bogeys were bad 3-putts from decent birdie chances. The triple was on the last. Had been hitting fairly consistent Draws all day, so aimed up the right side of the fairway. What a time to a fade which drifted over to the trees and bounced OOB. A bogey with the 2nd ball. So a level par round, from the blues, with a few thrown away strokes. Short game was working very well, which was a nice surprise.

Sunday was a 3-man waltz. Was playing off 8 due to the %-reduction. Took 80 strokes from the whites. Front 9 was 5-over, 5 pars, 3 Bogeys, 1 Double. The double was on the hole I birdied on the front the day before, pulled drive into the trees, had to just get it back in play. Similar to the prior day, didn't manage the up&down. Back 9 was 3 over, 1 birdie, 4 pars, 4 bogeys. In typical fashion, the birdie was on the last. Tripled the day before in the medal, birdied the following day in a team comp. Short game took a little too long to get going and cost me a couple of strokes

Playing some solid stuff at the moment, wishing it was qualifying, as form tends to be very fleeting on the golf course. Should be qualifying from next weekend, so hopefully can carry things forwards for at least one more week (as I'm due to drop a counting round with my next qualifier)

• Registered Users Posts: 32 sean.ocall

Had my first (ever) counting round on Friday. Shot a 97, but it was a tale of two halves. 55 out, 42 back. Was a bit wild off the tee and had two blow up holes on the front 9, also crazy hailstorms didn't help. Got into a groove on the back 9 and played well, birdied a short par 3. Putting was awful but everything else came good in the end, for me anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭higster

Local society day out in Portumna Sat. Brilliant weather and course in excellent condition. Playing off 23, got around with 92 shots and 38 points which won the day. Driver good (only 190 average but 70% on fairway and only 1 into a bad spot) , 5 wood and hybrids were excellent (getting on/near greens where usually would have no hope), irons so so, wedge crap (fating all over the place and struggled in bunkers) & putter on fire (five 1 puts and only one of them inside 6 foot, one 3 put). Blow ups on front par 3s (a 6 and a 7) cost me breaking the 90 for first time. Delighted and hopefully a sign of a good year too come with a handicap drop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭coillcam

Had my first counting round last week. 30 points off 16. I was away for a week and my flight got in quite late the night before. Ended up with a handful of hours sleep before dragging myself to the course. Overall happy enough as I hadn't played recently and was like a zombie. Started well and was hitting the driver about as good as I could. It was quite a gusty day so I had 215yd and 295 yd drives. Got tired at the turn and it all fell apart. Sliced driver OB and had a duck hook a couple of holes later. Couldn't recover from any position and mentally checked out at that point. I did scramble a good chip on 18 to tap in an unlikely bogey which put a bit of gloss on the session. My best shot was a low soft 4 iron into strong wind on a 165yd par 3 that rolled up pin high. Had watched 2 lads balloon 5/6i short and wide just before, so I decided to try something different. I was absolutely goosed afterwards, can't complain and overall I played well all things considered.

Got selected for an inter-club team too. Really looking forward to playing a different format and being part of a team for the first time.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭swededmonkey

Played at my home club on saturday for an inter club team practice match and scored +12 gross (40 points stableford) which i was delighted with. It was a strange round as I drove the ball well, irons were ok (at best) and putted well but never felt I was in the groove. Other days you feel like you're on it and confident every time you address the ball. Followed up with an outing with my work society in killeen castle on Sunday. Beautiful course in really good shape. Felt I played steady for 14 holes, putts weren't dropping and I was never missing by much but fatigue really set in as the wind picked up and my swing started to feel distinctly tired. Resulting in 4 points on the last 4 holes including 2 scratches and 4 balls in the water. Heading to the local for a feed of pints and a late night didn't help my cause! Finished with 31 points. On the whole a pretty positive weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Haven't posted here for a while as haven't really been playing much.

First Summer Rules comp of the year and it was a Stroke comp so was a nice baptism. started off well but pulled my tee shot on 2 OB left.

Really should have done better even though it was so windy. On the 6th i was short of the green with my tee shot, and proceeded to putt the ball into the bunker. The back nine should have been so much better, 13,17 and 18 i had birdie putts on each of them and walked off with Bogeys!

82 Gross (75Nett)

11/14 Fairways

9/18 GIR

30 putts

62 won the comp in a 3 or 4 club wind.

64 was second and he had an 8 on the last :D

First prize is free membership next year so the bandits were out in force.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

37 points in Powerscourt East today. Proper Jeykll & Hyde round.

13 points out. 24 points back.

Driving & Putting was good all day but from holes 1-10 I could not hit an iron to save my life. Prime example being hitting a cracking drive on the Par 4 7th and having 88 yards in for my second shot and proceeding to scratch the hole. Duff, Duff, Bone, Duff, chip, putt.

Then went out and played the back 9 in +5 gross. 3 Birdies. 2 Pars. 4 Doubles. 🤣

Advertisement