Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How did you score in your last round? - 2022

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭finglashoop

3rd with 48

Madness

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭blue note

You should go to confession for having a score like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭coillcam

Won 1/4 final of long hc matchplay today, was 1 down on 18 and should not have tied the match let alone been still in it.

Reached the par 5 edge of green in 3 including a ridiculous bounce across the small water channel.... then took 4 more to get it done from inside 20 yards. Even after my opponent hit water he still should have made a 7. Looked like two guys who were on the gargle for the back 9. Poor golf from both of us but I did save my best shot for sudden death on hole one. Big gale across the fairway which pushed us both to the right. I managed to get lucky by trickling just clear of tree and had a shot blind. SW for 100 yarder over another set of trees. Blessed to see it stop pin high 6ft. My opponent had a mare and conceded before I even got to line up. I won in identical circumstances in same comp last year. Same shot in sudden death. A funny old game.

I was +8 nett for my hc today, blessed again in this comp tbh. Drove well but too inconsistent everywhere else. Putting has dropped off a cliff. I was relying on my opponent to make mistakes. The course has a bunch of maintenance coming so no putting practice for a week I guess. Will really dedicate to sharpening up for the semi final.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭GandhiwasfromBallyfermot

Finished 3rd in our weekend comp with 40 points. Winner had 41 points. 3 putt bogey on the 17th killed me.

Didn't think 40 points would get me anywhere, nice to see no astronomical scores came in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭Barnaboy

Some of the points needed to win comps is just crazy. But for a little balance thought it would be good to share our club results (New Forest). Yesterday was the second round of the president's prize, strokes off the back sticks. Winning score was 148, +4.

It's a tough course to score well on at the best of times. Higher handicapped players really struggled. Best div 3 score yesterday was nett 77.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

77 gross off 3 around Lucan Golf Club's new layout (2 new holes opened for play) yesterday, 35 points nett.

Another disappointing day in what has been a horror of a year golfwise. 1 over through 3 after a couple of scruffy drives but made up for it with possibly the best shot Ive hit this year on the par 5 4th (traditional 5th hole), a 3 hybrid from around 220 yards to 5 feet. Made the eagle and moved to -1.

Had a chance on the next hole (previously the 8th hole) to get to -2 but missed from 12ft then bogied 6 after a bad drive. Two more substandard tee shots led to 2 further dropped shots before I finally managed a par on the now 9th hole (traditionally the 12th).

Two nice shots into 10 to 4 feet presented me with a chance to get back to +1, which I felt wouldve given me something to play for but, of course, I missed the put and that was any chance to regain momentum gone. Proceeded to make a mess of the new 12th hole, an innocuous par 4, and that was pretty much that. Parred the last 6 holes, through a combination of a lot of scrambling and 3 spurned opportunities at the par 5s coming in.

I feel like the most depressing thing about my golf this year has been a total inability to do anything other than maximise to the furthest possible extent my scores during a round. An unreliable driver, key momentum putts that refuse to drop be they for bogey, par or something better, braindead or just inexplicably incompetent long shots or approaches, as well as a lot of good old fashioned bad luck has left me as disheartened as Ive ever been with the game.

This hasnt been helped by the ramifications of the WHS and the effect it has had not only on competition results (which have become, frankly, ridiculous and utterly out of reach for a low single figures player), but also the relative stability of my own handicap index, which obstinately remains at 2.5, despite the lack of competitiveness I've demonstrated over the last 18 months.

Whatever about the flaws of the WHS however (and it is desperately flawed), ultimately my contentment with the game will depend on improving my own efforts. It's a very humbling game but hoping for better for the rest of this year and next.

Played vpar comp for the first time today. Part of a trial initiative in the club to play different formats. Probably 90% stableford and a few stroke majors otherwise. Great format and very fast when you can pick up after reaching nett bogey. Also you can't get a huge score as nett bird/eagle gets the same score (+1).

I was -8 vs the course (so 8 points worse than par) off 13 playing hc. Funny the way they've inverted the scoring. I think I shot an overall 97 (+12 for my hc) which is poor and the same as my last outing.

That doesn't tell the whole story. It was soft and wet with the course playing very long. Pissed rain for 4 hours until we reached the last green. Quite a slog and lots of sand everywhere after recent maintenance. Greens were actually slicker than expected but a little unpredictable given condition/maintenance. Ultimately most of my score was down to piss poor putting (again, 3 putts galore) and inability to figure out chipping in current conditions.

Glad to get a round in before matchplay on Tuesday. Driving and irons in decent shape for the most part and actually had a few GIRs. Hopefully squeeze in some short game practice before the match.

Just in the door after winning long hc matchplay semi final. Absolutely buzzing. Played some of my best stuff ever.

Shot +3 on front 9 and was 4 up. Had I not left a 4 footer short would have been 5 up and +2. Wheels came off a bit on the back 9 but I got it done on 17 with a par. We finished out 18 on the way back to the clubhouse and tapped in another par. It was a day where I could have walked off with a fistful of birdies.

Had 7/18 girs and 32 putts. Took a couple of bad shot choices on back 9. Probably guilty of thinking the job was done. I had two triples and a double bogey to go with this. Despite that I'm happy with my mentality of resetting after bad holes and poor choices. Nabbed some crucial bogeys and pars to stop my opponent clawing right back. Nonetheless it is mentally easier to reset when leading in this scenario.

My previous best on front 9 was +6. Delighted to beat this. I think the thing that's most satisfying is that I did a range session yesterday and didn't leave until I was happy to have got rid of a slice that was blighting me in the last few weeks. Today I made sure I was at the course an hour early and under no rush. Hit some chips, pitches and bunkers first. Then I spent a good 20 mins+ putting to get the speed right. Also used a string to make sure my stroke was true. Cages were closed and small range area occupied so didn't get a full swing in but I didn't mind that so much.

From a competitive perspective today was probably my most enjoyable day since taking up the sport. I've shot a couple lower and won a couple of comps but none of those were the same. Closest feeling would have been playing c'ship hurling.

Will keep up the short game and range practice over next couple of weeks while waiting for final date.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

I‘ve been putting a good bit of work into my game this year so when I go play, I’ll get the most out of my round. A lesson with the club pro to sort out my driver combined with a lot of short game practice are now starting to pay dividends.

I had been playing well all year but some poor course management and poor shot choices prevented me for posting any decent score until something just clicked and it all came together at the boards outing in Tullamore. From not having broke 90 since August 2019, I’ve shot an 84 in Tullamore and followed that up with a 88 and a 89 resulting in a 2 shot cut in my HI, now at my lowest of 16.6. The 88 & 89 were also on courses I’ve never played before too when we played Limerick GC and Ballyneety last week!

As with all rounds, I left shots out there and there is room for more improvement and hopefully I can push this on before the dreaded winter rules come in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭Motivator

I had been playing poor for about two months and hadn’t been practicing. I started practicing two nights a week and then playing the competition at the weekend. Scores didn’t improve at all. I shot 75 a few weeks ago, then took a full week off where I didn’t hit a ball. Went back cold and played the comp the following week and shot 76. My last shot was my putt on 18 and then my first shot back was my drive on 1 the following week. Took another week off and didn’t lift a club, went out today and shot 75 again. Three weeks in a row now where I’ve not thought about golf at all all week and then just teed it up in the Sunday competition.

My ball striking has been excellent lately and has given me a lot more confidence that before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Lefty2Guns

35 Points yesterday in the weekly competiton. 7 Pars, 7 Bogeys, 4 Scratches.

Have been driving the ball great after putting in a lot of practice on the driving range. Making a few stupid mistakes that resulted in scratching the hole.

Feel I have a really good score in me before the end of the season. 5 Greens out of last 6 scores on WHS showing that the practice is paying off.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭blue note

I had last week off and got out twice. 59 points! Would have been some really if it was from one round!

In fairness, the first day was in rosslare and in a huge wind. First hole is about 300m long, so I hit a utility iron to make sure I was short of the fairway bunker. It went 117m a little right, so I left myself over 200m to the green! In fairness, i actuality hit a lot of good shots. I hit some really solid low drives into the wind and some big ones downwind. I tried to keep the irons down, but down for me is probably a normal flight so still far too high. 31 points to finish was actually a decent score. And I'd a tap in birdie on 14 which always puts a gloss on a round.

Corballis yesterday was a different kettle of fish. It was playing as easy as it ever does and after 5 holes I had 5 points. Those 100m shots killed me again I pushed them right on 2, 4, 6, 7. They cost me 5 shots. Then I duffed one on 15 and bladed another through the green on 16 just to mix it up a bit. Another 2 shots dropped from those.

2 shanks out of bounds in the round too, 2 lost drives on 3, and one sliced into the thick round on 12 and pulled into it on 16. I'd a solid birdie on 17 at least though, so maybe I'll get a few quid back in the twos.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭kieran.

Best round of the year yesterday coming home with 40 points, unfortunately there was no competion on as most of our matchplay finals were being played on the day so no handicap cut. I have switched back to an old Ping G20 driver from my TM M5 and my driving has improved significantly the last few weeks. Coming in to a bit of form as the season is drawing to a close which seems to be typical for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Could you not have submitted it as a general play round if there was no comp on Kieran?

Oh, and we'll played 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭swededmonkey

Had the potential to be a great round. Finished with 35 points off the back tees and consistently hitting fairways throughout. Biggest cost to my game was the forked greens earlier in the week. 5 genuine birdie chances all with shots on the hole ended up in 3 putt bogeys. Lots other holes where ball wouldn't break or skidded along the top of the sand. A very frustrating morning!

I stopped playing casual rounds on my home course since they brought in a €5 charge. I understand the logic is to stop handicap building but I think it pretty mean to charge it on top of out annual membership!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,431 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Just submit the round on the Golf Ireland app rather than handing in a physical card to your club.

All casual rounds need to be registered and paid for in advance in the proshop, club rule.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

It's a bit mad really to be bringing that in.

My place has introduced a charge for people if they book a casual round in on a competition line, which I can kind of see the logic in as you're using up a slot someone could enter the comp on

Whatever about charging for taking a slot on a competition line - I can kind of see the logic in that - but charging a fiver for a casual round is ridiculous.

Are they charging for every casual round whether you put a card in or not? Or is it only if you submit a card for handicap purposes?

If it's the former, then I'm assuming that alters the deal members signed up for, and essentially changes it to a pay and play type membership.

If it's the latter, then I don't see why they would feel entitled to get involved. You already pay your GUI fee to obtain and maintain an official handicap. I'd be interested to hear what Golf Ireland say if that's the case. I'd be submitting cards through the app and bypassing the club altogether.

Either way, it seems like a money grab more than anything else. If they really want to discourage handicap manipulation then there are better ways to do it rather than punishing all members to discourage a tiny number of bad eggs.

That carry on would be enough to make me reconsider my membership altogether.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭Motivator

Yeah, that sounds ridiculous I’ve never heard it before. How can any club expect members to pay every time they want to play a few holes. Unless membership is €200 for the year and then pay as you play, I can understand that but not charging full rate then asking fellows to stump up €5 for a casual round of golf.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,099 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

It's the same in our club, you can play all the causal rounds you want for free (as long as they're not in competition slots obviously) but if you want to play a casual round for HC purposes, then you need to sign a physical book in advance and pay a fiver (taken from competition purse).

It's ridiculous carry on imo. There seems to be two trains of thought on why it was brought in, maybe it's a bit of both.

1. To discourage "free" HC building

2. To recoup revenue for the club as people were playing less competitions when they could maintain a HC casually.

How can they police it though? If you just show up and play a round and input the score on the Golf Ireland app then it'll count towards your handicap as long as you have somebody with you to attest the score. If you do it that way, the club have no involvement and have no grounds to charge you any additional fee.

Tbh, I'm surprised there's not uproar about that. I'd be getting onto Golf Ireland and seeing what their opinion is on that. Seems bang out of order to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,099 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Never tried doing it outside of the new system the club brought in. It should probably still work as you say but as wrong as I feel it is, I'm not willing to rock the cart / start travelling to the nearest club 25 mins away. The AGM is probably the right time to bring it up.

It definitely works if you just post the score on the Golf Ireland app. The club doesn't need to have any input.

Out of interest, I sent an email to Golf Ireland to see their stance on it. Here's the reply I received:

Thanks for contacting us at Golf Ireland.

Golf Ireland's current advice to golf clubs is that while it is a matter for each club if it wishes to charge for General Play Rounds, all pre-registered General Play scores returned must be submitted for handicap purposes irrespective of whether or not payment has been made.

A link to our latest information leaflet is below and more information on WHS is available on our website, but as your Home club maintains your handicap, the recommended process for handicap queries is to first contact your club Handicap Secretary.

Kind regards

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

"Play as many casual rounds as you want for free..." Just cost you the price of your annual sub 😉

I do understand what you mean though, a non counting round costs nothing extra.

I'm 100% against it, I think its the best part of the WHS. How it's implemented without some form of vote is something I'd be looking at as well.

Recently we had an email stating the competition tee's won't be available on non competition days so play can be sped up. As it is the Pro tee's are never in play. Why you'd want play sped up but not on competition days is a bit of a head scratcher but I would have thought that would need some kind of a vote or at least an opinion and that doesn't even involve money.

Oh and first comp since my back healed up. Birdie one hole only to top the next tee shot. Haven't had so many bad scores on the card in months. Wasn't expecting much was just looking to get out and enjoyed it well enough.

88 off 9.8

2 Birdies

5 Pars

6 Bogies

2 Doubles

3 Triples

33pts

If it was me, and I had enough support from other members, I'd make a point to the club by completely boycotting paying comps. I'd also be sure to not spend a penny in the pro shop, restaurant, or bar, and bring along no paying guests. If there was enough members doing this I'd imagine they wouldn't be long about reconsidering.

Had 36 points off 13 today in the last major qualifier. Funny round where I was either excellent or terrible. Missed 3x putts inside 4ft and lost a drive into trees. Also had an in-reg approach from 80yds but I came away with a double. Short game was great save for one hole. Ended with 1 birdie, 8 pars, 4 bogeys, 4 doubles and a triple.

Wasn't sure if I was going to play as I was sick the last 4 days and running on fumes. Looks like another cut which should bring me to 11.9. Big week of golf ahead for me. Long hc matchplay final on Friday and should have final round of the major on Sunday. Could have done without a cut for the matchplay 😂. My game is in a good place atm. Will look to practice plenty over the week.

So I won the long hc matchplay final this evening. Absolutely buzzing and it wasn't something I thought I'd have a chance in due to my hc going down. Unfortunately the bar was shut so I didn't get to have a beer and proper chat with my opponent.

Started off with a duck hook into trees on 1 but I got my members bounce right on cue and didn't even notice the ball rebounding back to the fairway. Stuck it to middle of the green and 2 putted for par to be 1 up. From here the back 9 wasn't massively notable and at the turn I was 2 up.

On ten my opponent got stuck in an absurd situation thick in the woods and couldn't get out. 3 up now into 11. Piped my drive and my SW left me with about 20ft which I proceeded to 3 putt and lose. Halved the short par 3 next and then I lost 3 on the bounce to go one behind.

On one of those holes I was putting for par and a half from about 5 feet when a ball slammed into the green halfway between us. I was pissed and walked away to reset and check my line. Missed that putt and the guy came up to apologise immediately. It's a blind shot over a hill on a par 5 and he initially saw us walk to the side of the hole with our trolleys and assumed we were moving on. So he went back out of view and took his shot. Tbf it was an easy mistake to make as we were conceding holes and moving along swiftly earlier.

At this point I was slightly rattled and tugged my tee shot into the bunker on 15. Fluffed my escape as it was the only soft sandy bunker on the course and I didn't open the face fully expecting to have to dig through firm damp sand. Couldn't get up/down and my mentality just shifted gears immediately as I went behind for the first time.

I was pissed off with the stray ball earlier and more so with a few bad putts and shots to gift 4 holes back. Nothing I could do but attack each of the three holes left as aggressively as possible due to the guy having 13 shots on me and I had to get to 18 (last hole with no shot) to have a chance. Par putts now had to be drop or I was gone.

So for the par 5 16th there's a tricky drain on the right of the fairway at 45 degree angle just as it doglegs - it needs a 240-260 carry. I needed to get over it and try for an eagle atrempt. Slightest of fades and I had about 5 yards to spare over the drain. Zapped the front pin at 205 on an elevated green with a large pond short right. Anything over 195 or left is safe. Pulled my 7w and it peeled a slightly unwanted heel fade towards the right of the green but it landed softly for an outside eagle chance (first time reaching this hole in 2). Lagged it shorter than I liked. My 5 footer up the hill slid just by and I bellowed out a ffs that probably everyone on course heard. My par was good for a half though and I trudged on to 17. I tried to think of the favourite phrase of Adam ( not a scratch golfer on YouTube). Goldfish memory.

Still conceding a shot I had to go for the tight line bomb over the bunkers on the left of the par 4 dogleg - 240yd carry. Once again I pulled it off and had 10 yards to spare leaving a 135yd middle pin on an elevated green. However this time my ball was in the rough and sat down a little. I couldn't hit my 9i (135 club) as it looked like a flier. So I steepened my PW (125) and gouged as hard as I could. I just felt a swoosh and little if any ball. Genuinely thought it was gone long but to my surprise it pitched 3 ft short and stopped 2ft long. Tap in birdie (1st birdie ever. on this hole) and back to all level.

With honour on the par 5 18th I hit a solid drive to left rough but absolutely no issue here. My opponent proceeds to slice it off the face of the earth to the next fairway over. I had 210 to the pin and contemplated another 7w special but I quickly tempered my aggression. I concede no shots here and there's a ridiculous little water feature that horshoes the green. Par is perfect and even bogey could do. So a PW followed by GW got me pin high 15ft for birdie. Unfortunately for my opponent he struggled down the adjacent fairway and had a nasty downwill/side sloped lie for a longer than ideal approach. He couldn't elevate the ball and ran into the drain.

He didn't manage to chip in for 5 either and I had 2 putts ftw. I ran 2ft past and he walked over to shake my hand. Tbh I was surprised as I thought he should have insisted I putt out. I gave myself the 2 footer which would leave me with an 83 and a new pb by 1.

At this point I was a bit shocked by the win and the manner in which it unfolded. To get the eagle chance on 16, then birdie 17 gave me immense satisfaction and a new sense of belief in my game. To do both of those things for the first time and then shoot a pb, I couldn't really ask for more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,816 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Mad day today...played 13 holes was a practice round with a guy back after heart surgery.

Anyway on 18 - holed out from 150 with a 7 iron ...I've holed out 3 times in 5 months with it ...a 1 ..2 and 2 all eagles.

Lads I play with here, telling me I need new clubs , they are right - but this is becoming my lucky 7 iron.

After a fairly bad season...work, paying off and small signs trending in the right direction.

2 over for the 13 I played....

(Edit) just realised almost holed out with parlance here with exact same shot a few weeks ago......golf is nuts....

Advertisement