Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭JohnCougar

More conspiracy theories 🤣🤣🤣, I pay my money to go games and I am entitled to call things as they are. You don’t have to have a family member on either squad to call it. If people don’t like the truth that’s their problem, and I am obviously rattling a few cages here.
    All the 65 players on both panels are great young men and hopefully the minors win on Saturday and Celtic Challenge in two weeks time.
    Is the minor game on Saturday on Clubber or TG4 as I can’t travel on Saturday??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,900 ✭✭✭Brian017

• Registered Users Posts: 4,150 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

Not slating Billy Ryan but he’s had more than enough chances at the starting 15. I’d rather he was brought on as a sub as he’s more effective that way by a mile. If Mullen is good enough to make the bench he should be starting. No point risking a half fit player if we are losing. Just my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,333 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Richie Reid named in midfield ?? 🤔

Strange ?

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Village87

Very average looking midfield and half back line that struggled against Dublin and Carlow. If Wexford get on top here we will be in trouble.

The benches in the last 15 mins will be very important

I know we have Adrian Mullen, but i agree with above post Billy Ryan might have been a better option off the bench.

Wexford have a good bench, Cian Bryne, Simon Donohoe, Jack O'Connor, Charlie McGukin, Kevin Foley, Conor Devitt and Seamus Casey all well able to come in and make a difference.

Kilkenny could have brought in Marty Murphy, the stand out player u20, something different off the bench.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Ah here Village, the chap is 18 and nowhere near the level required yet.

Shane Murphy harshly dropped in my opinion. Would prefer him at corner back over Tommy Walsh. To be fair to Richie he was very good in the second half against Galway, not so good in the first half. Let's see where himself and Deegan actually play.

Post edited by JJs Left Hand on

• Registered Users Posts: 14,485 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Not a Kilkenny man but I follow all threads here. Having looked at your posting history over the last couple of months you have CONSTANTLY referred to disgruntled parents talking about not being happy with team selection etc. You're obviously part of that cohort, and that's fine. Just stop pretending you aren't.

You're talking about an U17 team below. No adult in their right mind talks about a fecking minor team like this…..

In a lot of your posts you've openly slated the minor management:

'Also players that did not play yesterday are not allowed play with their club tonight. Those players won’t even be playing next Saturday either and it makes no sense. They were allowed play the last 2 weeks with their club. Very poor management of these players.'

Even when there was a win, while praising them you you still found a way to put the team down to an extent:

'The minors played very well but Galway were very poor on the day and did not test our backs'

Other comments:

'Unfortunately the minor set up is becoming a **** show. It was a very poor display yesterday and management seem to have backed themselves into a corner by playing the same players in the last 3 games and in 7/8 challenge games. I heard parents saying yesterday that the management dont seem to know where most of the players play for their clubs as players playing out of position. There are much better players not getting a chance at all they were saying also. Management obviously not up to it.'

'There are too many U-16 on the team and it’s not right. There is agenda here being driven by people outside the camp and they are influencing the manager. All the parents were talking about it last night and they are not happy. There is enough good hurlers up to the age but they are not getting a chance at all.'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Village87

I agree with Shane Murphy, having a great year but was always sacrificed for someone else until he was dropped. As for Marty Murphy, i do believe you said the same about him u20, i just have good faith in him anytime i have seen him he has delivered but i did not know he was so young, he is a better option than Killian Doyle and Billy Drennan, and is will suit senior intercounty more than Harry Shine imo. The chap does not lack skill or physicality.

Really looking forward to the challenge Sunday and i think we will get the massive win as we owe Wexford.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Sir Chaz

Shane Murphy definitely unlucky. Billy Ryan getting another chance on the back of a good bench impact against the Dubs, but you'd wonder is that where he's best utilised? Presume Jordan Molloy is still injured or he'd be on bench ahead of K Doyle. Great to see Mullen back, you'd wonder if maybe he'll start given how early teams are named nowadays. Huge game ahead, and if Kilkenny have genuine All Ireland aspirations they absolutely have to be winning this.

Best of luck to the Minors also. You'd think they'll have huge incentive to beat Dublin and prove the performance in Nowlan Park a few weeks ago was nowhere near their true form. If they can, then they'll have huge momentum going into a semi final.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,795 ✭✭✭kksaints

Drennan is on the bench as the free taker in case anything happens to TJ.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Conversations 3

Both stands sold out now, place should be rocking.

Hopefully it's not all yellow bellies.

Good to see Kilian Doyle back in the squad, it will be great for his confidence after the Carlow game. It should be a great game and great to see Adrian Mullen back in also. Hopefully there will be plenty of highlights on the Sunday game as will have to listen to the match on the wireless with Michael Walsh and Co.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭Charlie69

Yeah good point re teams being named early and the possibility of Mullen starting, it’s such an important game it’s hard to see him not starting if he’s fit. Lyng definitely likes Billy Ryan and obviously values his attitude and work rate , maybe I’m guilty of underestimating the importance of those qualities at times but I would just like to see him be a bit more consistent when it comes to getting a few scores. He has the ability to do it, there’s no doubt about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭Comerman

According to Ticketmaster there's no tickets left available, gonna be some buzz 👏

• Registered Users Posts: 25 wexilad

Seems to be tickets left for Ardan O Cearbhaill and city end terrace ? Agree though there should be a brilliant atmosphere on Sunday with so much at stake for both teams

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭Comerman

Where are you seeing those tickets wexilad? I can't seem to find two more anywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Hurlingtothebone

See how he gets on at intermediate club level first before you spring him onto the Kilkenny senior team.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭blackcard

I am told that parts of the pitch are very bare after Bruce. Have to think Mullen will start. Shane Murphy unlucky, he was playing well at half back. Need TJ to roll back the years again and for KK crowd to get behind the team

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Marrooned

Shane Murphy dropped because Lyng picked him in midfield. Makes you wonder?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭blackcard

Forecast is poor for Sunday with rain and wind. Along with poor surface, will make it a bit of a lottery

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Box to box

I

Marty is a major handful but he is only doing the leaving cert in good counsel. It would be a huge step up even though he is a huge chap but I do think he should be brought in next year and try develop him over the next few years.He does look to have more to offer than others on the bench.Its a pity denis Walsh couldn't get clear run he looked a elusive player,Stephen donnelly is back for thomastown in the league thing that's running at the moment.I think Harry shine has bags of ability and hopefully they can get the best out of him. We must remember it's a huge step up though. It's an awful pity Billy drennan hasn't kicked on from last year's league.I watched Owen Wall last week he had to try stop to hit the ball and got blocked down a few times. You just won't get a second at intercounty.It's a strange one with killian doyle on the bench and I hope players aren't being picked because they come from the same club as management. Shane Murphy was under pressure last week but he was threw around the last few weeks.Luke hogan and Kevin blanch can't even make the match day squad now after slogging out a lot of the league. Liam just couldn't get up to speed. We needed to find a few players but we are back to the same team that have came up short the last few years. Tj isn't isnt as influential which is only natural so we need new leaders to emerge.Theres a few people here nearly hoping for a kk defeat so they can slate players but they seem to lose their voice when kk win which kinda sums up what you are dealing with.They will have the gun loaded before the match is over sunday if we arent going well.Hopefully tjs free taking is better this weekend. I don't know if we can afford to leave Mullen on the bench and he could very easily start instead of Billy Ryan. I'd be very surprised if kk aren't really up for this but the bookies have wexford. 3-1 which is a bit strange when you look at recent records. It's absolutely vital management get match ups right.Carey will be tasked of going after chin.

Best of luck to the minors this weekend. Its mad how they have being so up and down but I suppose that's what happens with 16 year old. When is young lacey expected to be back? Jake Mullen looks classy and he will learn alot with the shamrocks when he breaks onto their senior team.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭therealdonster

Where is all the nonsense about players being picked because they are from the same club as the manager coming from? As anyone who has watched Kilkenny underage these last few years can testify to that young man is a quality player who will likely be a mainstay at midfield for years to come. It seeks we have a few people running with the Village idiots comments on this which makes me suspicious that that particular poster has a number of accounts on this forum. Won't be a word from him if both Kilkenny teams win this weekend of course.

I was at senior league game last night and it was said the Co Board are looking for more stewards for Sunday. A huge crowd must be expected which is great to see. Hopefully we can win and get to Leinster Final.
    Best of luck to the minors today and hopefully bring home the Hanrahan Cup for first time in 3 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 lob it in

Are you seriously suggesting that Doyle is in the best 26 hurlers in Kilkenny at this moment in time..ah come on this is just Lyng doubling down on the shambles of a fortnite ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 upnorth

So, it’s a parent who has a son on the extended panel who’s a defender?

Minor final is a dull watch so far. We're two points up at the half but against the wind in the 2nd half. Mullen hit some nice scores in the middle of the half but some of the shooting is a bit wayward.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭randd1

We certainly have the better individuals, but we’re too individual.

I know they’re minors and that’s a given, but if the boys want to win this they’re going to have to play the man in space better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭randd1

A scrappy one, but we’ll take it. Well done to the minors.

• Advertisement

Good win for the minors. Awful match on an awful pitch.

Advertisement