Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Fred Daly

It was a disgrace not a ball near them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,333 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Both mention puckouts..

Scruff has proven time and time again at what a damn great shot stopper he is, and if the puckout are being worked on , as Lyng says, that has to be great news….

But youd wonder why it is only this year (maybe im wrong) that this has been done? Supporters saying this for years, and only now (?) management are working on it?

Better late than never, but still ….

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

All the permutations for the weekend are here

https://x.com/Denis_Hurley/status/1792665109179056459?t=HFzdiBl4WG73rcR_raR8ow&s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 25 wexilad

Will there be a big crowd there Sunday lads. Love Wexford Kilkenny games expecting a huge battle ending in a one score game which could go either way

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭mullinr2

Should be a sell out, why wouldn't it be. The Munster counties can sell out their matches, why can't Kilkenny against one of our traditional rival

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Village87

Surely hit 20k. Munster matches are getting phenomenal attendances. All matches are getting to 90% of sell outs.
    Another factor that might hurt Kilkenny is that this is the 3rd week in a row playing a tough match. The draw against Carlow and the come from behind win against Dublin would have taken a lot out of the players, especially TJ

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Conversations 3

I think if Mullen is back it'll take some of the workload off TJ, he needs to stick on the edge of the box and not running back to midfield to help out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

20k seems highly ambitious.

Just checked and there was 21k at the Tipp game in 2013. I don't think we'll ever see the likes of that again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭Charlie69

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Limerick is a generational team so huge support. Cork supporters really getting behind this team and hurling always has a big following if going well. Of course it could both be over for either of them on Sunday. Unlikely i know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 wexilad

I would expect around 15k too. Hoping we outnumber you . Looking forward to a good game lads hopefully we’ll show the Munster men we have just a good of hurlers in Leinster !

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Nedflanders02

I'd probably go one further and say why is it only since the Carlow game that we look to have tried to implement a defined puckout strategy. Hopefully this is something we keep working on, I think by doing it in the first half it drew out the Dublin midfield and half back line which left a lot of space in front of our full forward line, on another day the ball sticks better for them and we get a bit of joy out of it. You have to give credit to Dublin's management team I think they worked it out at half time and we weren't as effective in the second half but as you say at least they're trying something! It's also interesting that it's Michael Rice who seems to be the goal keeping coach and is doing a lot of work with the keepers.

With regards the crowd, hopefully our fans get out and support the team. I can understand earlier in the year there are lots of games and its become very expensive to go to every game but this is a massive game and the players deserve as much support as they can get we haven't been winning as much as in previous years but this team has still given us 5 Leinsters in a row and got to the last 2 league and all ireland finals.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭JohnCougar

Great last 20 minutes. They put in a similiar performance in the first game against Galway in Nowlan Park. Hopefully they will improve on the last day against Dublin and win on Saturday for three reasons (1) to be Leinster Champions (2) to show they can back up performances (3) they get a 3 week break before the All Ireland semi final after 6 match weeks in a row.

They have beaten Dublin at this age group over the last 2 years and know they can beat them. If they lose they are out again the following week which would be very tough as the Munster teams have had a good break in the last 3 weeks. They have picked more or less the same 18/19 players in the 5 championship matches and in challenge games so hopefully tiredness wont be a factor on Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭Comerman

Deleted

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Marrooned

KK supporters running out of excuses not to attend the park on Sunday €15 for the terrace,where would you get it. Come out and support your team it will be a great occasion and the extra support can bring them over the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭Comerman

I've our two tickets got Marooned 😁👌

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Box to box

It's being well highlighted for years that eoin Murphys puckouts are poor. They hang in the air where as they should be pinged. There's no doubting he is a very good shot stopper but that's only half of it now. The goalie is absolutely vital nowadays, he has the most possession but he is only as good as the movement that he is getting from outfields players. The last couple of years has being very poor and kk have relied on their hurling and workrate around the breaks for alot of scores. There's very little movement. We still aren't comfortable with with the short game and it's disappointing there isn't more improvement because this has being introduced to kk game the last few years.

As someone has said above kk are leaking alot of goals and I don't know is it as easy to say that deegan goes wandering instead of minding the house more. I don't know if we have anyone better than Richie Reid at the moment and he will probably go back into center back.I think blanchfield,Reid and Mikey Carey (if he can come on alot from Saturday) with Kenny and deegan midfield is the best we have available. Carey hasn't played since the antrim match which is a long time ago now. By all accounts Adrian and wally should be back and jordon molloy could be a option off the bench and suddenly the panel looks stronger.I really hope supporters get behind the team this weekend the team deserve it. Both teams will be fired up but kk will certainly not want to lose in their backyard and I think we will see our best performance to date.Lyng will have to get match ups right but players will have to be smart on the ball. It will be drilled in all week about doing the right thing with the ball. I'm looking forward to it, town should buzzing Sunday.

I knew you would comerman we will roar them on together.

why didn’t Jackie Tyrell call out the dirty incident on his club mate Cian Kenny by Sutcliff on Saturday night. Is there anyone doing anything about it. I would have expected a reaction from the GAC at least but nothing has been done.It was as dirty a piece of play that I ever saw and he should get at least 3 months, he could have seriously injured the chap while it was also a third man tackle, how did the linesman not see it they seem to see a lot of things when it suits them.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭vinniem

Yes filthy cowardly tackle by Sutcliffe, a player I really admired. Should get a ban for that for sure

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,417 ✭✭✭High bike

The simple answer to your question is he wasn't allowed to hilight it.The same way the dirty dig on Kyle Hayes wasn't hilighted in Cork or the blatant black card not given in Thurles.Must be very frustating for the panelists on the Sunday game all lads who played the game at the highest level but yet they find themselves muzzled for fear of calling out bad officiating.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 slash0683

Long time viewer, first time poster….

A serious amount of negative commentary on here lately. There seems to be some sort of vendetta against Eoin Murphy with some posters looking for him to be replaced. Has he made mistakes? Of course, especially from puck outs….. But he was awarded an All Star in 2 of the last 3 years for a reason. Calls for him to be dropped are crazy.

Some suggestions that Kilkenny are only working on puck outs in the last few weeks are mad. Do people think that an inter county senior team only thought of working on puck outs lately or something??

Come on lads…. Big numbers from Kilkenny would be great to see at both matches at the weekend. We are probably the poorest supporters for attending matches in the country

Deleted

As far as I know they were in a group with Wexford, Cork B and Tipperary last year as u16s so wouldn't have met Dublin competitively in that grade anyways.

Just a quick look through the match reports show that they have started at least 20 different players in the championship and at least 26 different players have had game time in the championship from what I can make out. Not sure where your 18/19 figure is coming from. No reports from challenge matches but you would imagine everyone would have gotten game time in them

They will have their work cut out to beat Dublin from what I saw so could do with large numbers of vocal support similar to our seniors.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭droppingball

Think the runners from midfield half forward line have been our problem on the goal front, not sure it can all be pinned on Paddy Deegan though. Didnt think he was wondering or not holding his position on Saturday. It was often times that he didnt have any cover.

Now I don't think Paddy should be 6 but I feel we have structural issues with the half back line and midfield and the issues would be there no matter who plays there.

Few thoughts on this week, I have a feeling the running game of wexford will cause us grief, we could possible go with reid at 6 and deegan in midfield but dropping into the space to stop runners or if Molloy was fit we could go with Molloy and Kenny as two mobile workers who could pick up breaks but would have the legs for the runners. Think the midfield decision is as big as the 6 decision, another option could be Conor Fogarty as he would be the most disciplined at helping our centre back as we have seen many times.

I loved Billy Ryan's performance when he came on last week, Billy is capable of this. If he can be more aggressive with ball in hand he can offer so much. We really need him to step up as he has what it takes.

Team selection will be very interesting, it will be key to have the Mullen back and TJ nailing his frees, let's hope weather is OK and big Kilkenny crowd turn up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭Charlie69

Maybe Deegan could play that defensive midfield role but despite what a couple of posters on here think nobody in our panel knows that role better than Conor Fogarty, he probably doesn’t have 70 minutes in him anymore but he can still make a contribution imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭JohnCougar

The information I have is that to qualify for that group last year they had to play and beat Dublin competitively and it was on in Dunmore. 18 players have played 2 games or more with 10 players having played all five games in a row and its a concern that a number of the parents were talking about after the game on Sunday. They also said that of those 10 players most of them started and played 90% of the challenge games also with another 9/10 players who did not start any of the challenge matches which would have kept the panel fresh. Most of those players only getting 5/10 minutes at the end. Thats why it would be great to win on Saturday as they will have a 3 week break for the semi final. They crowd were great to get behind the players last week so hopefully more will turn up on Saturday.

Ye that's a bit different from your original post. I imagine all teams would have a nucleus of 9 or 10 players that started all matches in Championship. Would it would be strange if they didn't? I don't think you are correct either, I don't think there is 10 people who have started all matches either which is a surprise.

I wasn't at the challenge matches so can't comment on how many never started a game, but i did hear they played 3 x 30 mins in a lot of them and started a very changed team for the Clare match? Open to correction on that. So they should all have gotten lots of game time.

You seem to have a bee in your bonnet about the minor management…. From people outside the management team picking the team, to constantly talking to parents who are allegedly giving out about how things are being run, there is no shortage of conspiracy theories. Hopefully everyone can pull together and get behind them on Saturday

Seems to be alot of negativity around the u20 management in general too. That was good Offaly team that beat them, beaten by a strong Cork team in All Ireland last year. Claims that they had no game plan are wide of the mark.It was obvious they had planned to go long and direct (whether it was the best game plan I don't know) and it nearly done the trick. Missed goal chance off the crossbar and missed penalty were crucial, so even though they disappointed, they could be classed a tad unlucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Village87

Adam Screeney is a fantastic talent. Reminds me of the days when Cha, Richie Power etc were coming through.

• Advertisement

that puts our U20s in a better light

Advertisement