Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭ttowncat

Hopefully i wont be cancelled or attacked for asking this but when do tics online usually come out for the next wex match?

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭Butterbeans

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭kk.man

Very impressed with Cork today. Their brand of hurling is a joy to watch. Do people think they are the next power house in hurling?

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭WhatsGoingOn2

Tipp defending was atrocious, made Cork look better than they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭kk.man

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭High bike

Wouldn't worry about that it was down in Super Value park

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Topcat32

Great performance by the minors at a sparsely attended game this evening, although to be fair the people who were there really got behind the team, posters come on here asking about the problem with Tipperary hurling

• Registered Users Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭C__MC

First group game probably since 2018/19 for kilkenny and wexford that has significance for both teams.

Lip service to the Leinster Hurling Championship on the Sunday Game. Bullsh!t

• Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

The Saturday Game was on last night... I didn't see it, but I presume they spent a bit of time on the Leinster Championship then

• Advertisement

Fair enough, I didn't know that....I'll reign it in!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

2 years ago Kilkenny were relying on Galway beating Dublin which was on at the same time to make top 3 in Leinster after losing in Nowlan Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Seadin

Would you ever get over the fact that your team was beaten on the night and should have been beaten by alot more.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭KK36

Does he not have a valid point. The levels of throwing are disgraceful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭Brian017

I hate Wexford. Have we ever beat them in the Round Robin? It seem we always lose or draw against them. They poor most of the time but always turn into Limerick or prime Kilkenny against us. I hope there’s a good crowd in the Park on Sunday because we owe them one, it’s been too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭High bike

Don't worry I'm well over it,u never know they might meet again before the year is over

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭jamesbond2022

For me cork Limerick and Dublin and Wexford are the biggest culprits of throwing the ball the match In thurles was ridiculous with the amount of throwing going on from cork yesterday

Part of the reason a lot of our own build up play working it out from the back etc breaks down is we’re still trying to hand pass the ball properly and a lot of the time these big loopy hand passes are above head height and we lose possession

It’s much easier and quicker to be more accurate when you just throw a ball

But I f***ing hate having to watch it and not seeing referees with the balls to pull a team would drive you mad

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Mad about baa baas

Good to get the 2 wins at the weekend..mullen is a huge huge loss

Room to improve but wexford will be a proper test.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭randd1

We get any type of result, or if Galway and Dublin draw, we're in a Leinster final.

If Wexford beat us, and either Galway or Dublin win, we lose out on a Leinster Final but get out of Leinster in 3rd.

And finally, it's not too likely to happen, but…. If Wexford beat us by 19 points and Dublin/Galway draw, then we're out of the Championship.

It's a big game, no matter what.

PS - Now, as a Kilkenny man I'll never advocate for us getting beaten, and I'd like to see us beat Wexford back across the Barrow with as much a pasting as possible, but if it came to pass that Wexford and Dublin were to contest the Leinster Final this year, te hurling man in me wouldn't be too upset at the prospect. Leinster hurling needs a serious boost and a Wexford/Dublin Leinster final could certainly provide that. You'd be envious looking across at Munster and seeing full crowds and the buzz of the games, even with Limerick as dominant as they are. Leinster needs more bite to it, and seeing Offaly and Dublin in the U20 this year, our games at minor, you'd be hoping the other Leinster counties are coming on and that the Leinster Championship will rival Munster in a few years. We've had a cracking Leinster Championship full of twists and turns, add the quality and it could really be savage. But for that to happen, we need to see some of it at senior, and a Wexford/Dublin Leinster final, there'd be 60-70K at it and it would be hopping. Still though, battering them back over the Barrow (though given recent results that would seem a hard task) would be be just lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Martin567

As I understand it, the rule in Leinster has changed regarding three or more teams finishing level on points. The scoring difference in the games between those teams only is the first measure used to separate.

So if Kilkenny lose to Wexford and the other game is a draw, Kilkenny would be guaranteed 2nd place with a +2 points difference, Galway would be second with '0' and Dublin would be out with -2.

So I think it's impossible for Kilkenny to finish worse than third whatever the score against Wexford.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭brookville

Yea youre correct. Kk are the only team guaranteed to finish at least 3rd. Mullen will be back this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Alonzo Moseley

Yes, but again they showed they can dip alarmingly.

Hurled well for 20 mins and hurled brilliantly for the last 20, but the 10 mins before and after half time were very poor (just the Mullen goal was scored in that period) and Galway should have done more damage on the scoreboard during that period.

3 or 4 of the forwards in particular were unrecognisble from the Dublin game. I'd say Galway cannot figure out how Kilkenny got beaten by Dublin and Wexford.

If they hurl anything like they did in the last 20 mins, they will win the AI. Big if though.

Post edited by Alonzo Moseley on

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Nedflanders02

It was interesting looking at the warm up on Saturday evening, they seemed to be doing a lot of work on puckouts with Murphy. Tallis, Mason, Mullen and David Fogarty aswell as Michael Rice were doing a lot with him that I didn't see in the previous few games warm up. I think in the first half his puck outs were a lot better but he was just a little to slow at times in getting the puckouts away. The second half Dublin looked like they had worked out what we were doing and when under pressure we reverted to going long and hoped that TJ or Donnelly would win the puckout. Murphy though showed his importance though with a couple of really good saves and was excellent under the dropping ball. All in all I think it was a good result on Saturday, the performance wasn't perfect but Dublin were in the mood and are a very hard team to play against especially at Parnell Park. Cody and Carey looked a little rusty but the game will bring them on a lot. Nothing really stuck in the forwards for TJ, Phelan and Wall but I was encouraged by how well they were showing for balls, on another day they things could have went well for them. I seen people give out about some of the subs we brought in but I actually think Reid and Fogarty made a difference when they came on, they did nothing spectacular but when they came on Dublin found it a lot harder to run through the middle of our defence. Donnelly was exceptional again yesterday, he's really taken his club form into intercounty. Mossy has been really sharp too and he's a great out ball in the full forward line, nearly always holds it up brings other players into the game. Cian Kenny didn't have is best game but still got a couple of points and a couple of vital turnovers near the end. A special word for Billy Ryan, I'd have been very critical of him the past few years but he made a massive difference when introduced, his work rate is excellent and he did really well to set up the goal for Cody. Big game on Sunday, we owe Wexford a big performance and I've a feeling we might bring it this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Alonzo Moseley

Im happy with Sat night, Dublin were very good, tough and really up for it (anyone hear the dogs abuse Dublin CB was giving TJ on frees? Poor carry on and the ref should have put a stop to it).

Wexford seem to have really found their momentum after the Antrim shocker, even if they only finish 3rd, I think they will give the Munster runners up a serious test in AI quarter final.

Cork do look very exciting, almost electric at times, but again one simply must point out that much of what they are doing simply isnt within the rules of the game. TJ rightly got pulled for steps 3 times on Sat, but dozens of times Cork players took more steps than TJ and invariably got away with it. As for the level of sliotar throwing, dont get me started.

Cork are now the championship darlings and lighting up the year, so I dont think there is any ref is going to step up and start nailing them. He'd be crucified for "ruining the game".

Anyone any update on Mullen, or whether we picked up any injuries (Carey and Kenny both left the field at the end with the physio)?

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Marrooned

I wasn’t talking about throwing the ball it’s the political statements with the murdering state of Israel

• Registered Users Posts: 6,529 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

i thought it was a decent crowd in Parnell park on Saturday, especially as Dublin senior club hurling matches were clashing with it in Saturday afternoon. Atmosphere was great and to be fair quite a few up from KK for it. A hundred times better than going to the Dublin footballers in from of 20'000 people in CP.

Still though - dont know if you'd get 60/70,000 in CP for a Leinster final for Dub/ Wex.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭brookville

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Box to box

First time poster line time looker.

As most people have said kk don't seem to be going that well but yet they're the first team to qualify for the all ireland series. If they had their heads screwed on they would have a free game this weekend but now is the time for Lyng and the players to stop the rot against their neighbours. Kk will know exactly what wexford will bring to the table and as someone else has said earlier if they make a all-star out of Damien reck or Kevin foley they may burn the hurls on the way home. If kk persist with braindead hurling when the pressure comes on and wexford have a man sitting back which they most likely will they can have no excuses.

To be fair to eoin Murphy in the first half he's puckouts were better but Dublin figured them out. Derek Lyng was told by a reporter after the match that eoins puckouts has received criticism and he said they have being working on them.

He very easily could put Reid back at center back and that game should bring on Carey who has missed alot of hurling. Kenny and deegan and midfield. Without being cocky kk have to think of the all ireland series and that's why mullen and these lads aren't rushed back but the good news for kk supporters is he will be back this weekend and when on form he definitely helps knit the forwards together.

Despite what one poster says donnelly and mossy are becoming kk leaders and donnelly has got 2 man of the matches in 3 games and continued the good club form. Mossy again with 3 points the other other night and cian Kenny is getting a few points every match. It was scummy what Sutcliffe done near the end of the game.

Overall not going well but a win this weekend and the season kick-starts into gear. Kk can't let chin,conor mac and Rory o Connor run the show and they have to get their match ups right and not like like year where chin destroyed Tommy. Wexford will bring huge support so I hope kk supporters get off their holes and support the team. There's no excuse it's only in kk.

Tj definitely is wobbling but he has never let kk down.i think he is trying to do too much.Mullen will be a huge help to the forwards. Tom phelan really struggled the other night but I'd leave Billy Ryan on the bench again. Mullen,donnelly,phelan,Cody,tj,mossy.

The last week must of being very tough on the players so it was important to get back on the horse again and I'd be confident of a big performance this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭blackcard

I would have Owen Wall instead of Phelan. If we do get to Croke Park sometime this year, I think he will thrive and we need someone with pace.

Fair play to the minors for bouncing back, it is amazing how confidence can impact a side. Against Dublin, Kilkenny hit a lot of wides and struggled against a sweeper. Hopefully, they can do better next weekend

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Village87

I agree with a lot of this. I actually thought Kenny did ok on Saturday, Shane Murphy was a bit lost midfield but Kenny did ok. Donnelly different level again, Mossy very good again. As a lot of posts have stated here, it is surely time for Deegan to move midfield, Dublin were running through the middle and could have had more goals, probably a combination of Deegan and midfield and Shane Murphy and Cian Kenny not working well together.

For the first time ever it hit me that TJ will be gone soon, he look so laboured but turning 37 would do that, still another few matches in him hopefully. Id imagine Matthew O'Hanlon will be following him Sunday.

Kilkenny really need to get there half back line and midfield right for Sunday, Blanchfield has been a great addition, Mikey Carey was poor Saturday, his hurling is very average, so you would probably go with :

Blanchfield, Reid, Murphy,

Deegan Kenny

Advertisement