Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭bamayang

that was a stone wall black card on Hanlon.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Conversations 3

Black card all day, ridiculous decision.

Forwards not going well, Tom Phelan poor enough.

They're really targeting Carey's wing

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Neewollah

As easy as a black card as you'll get. No cover there defensively to save him.

We've been poor though. Still finding their spare man 70% of the time

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭C__MC

Similar trend to kilkenny wexford games in recent times,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,796 ✭✭✭kksaints

Our forwards are struggling really. BPhelan has gone off for Fogarty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Village87

Great to get the win against Wexford, really dogged it out the 2nd half

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭jamesbond2022

The ref gave a penalty that wasn’t in the second half instead of giving the easy pen and black card in the first half which was baffling didn’t give us much in the first half and nearly everything in the second

Our first half was very patchey we let Wexford dictate everything and deliver lovely ball into the ff line
    Second half our whole team upped it Carey Blanchfield and Reid were very good after poor first halves as were the forwards

Billy Ryan really grew into the game and love him or hate him deegan put a savage shift in amd got three pints from play

Still a whole lot to improve on before a Leinster final but we’re heading in the right direction

Great atmosphere as always vs Wexford they bring great noise and colour

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭usualstripes

Absolutely. Much better 2nd half. We missed 5 easy points in the 2nd half. Should not have been under pressure in the end. Mikey Carey and the rest of the backs did trajan work in the 2nd half. Deegan was very good today I thought.

Eoin cody had his hands full with reck but that game will give him a platform to drive on. Mossy again got through a lot of work but left 4 or 5 points behind him.

TJ was involved in a lot today and is crucial for us. Tom phelan and cian kenny very quiet today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Village87

yes I agree Deegan much better out of centre back, had a big influence midfield

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭ttowncat

Henry, come home

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Topcat32

Good win after a poor first half, the goals we conceded were disappointing but that seems to happen against Wexford teams, its been a great Leinster Championship so far and all the best to Wexford in the all Ireland quarter final, loved Keith Rossiter as a hurler and you can see his stamp on his team

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Charlie69

Great to beat Wexford in an arm wrestle but we’re still not moving as well as we can. We looked much more solid when Fogarty came on for the second half, again the unselfish work he does is hugely underestimated.
    We weren’t as efficient with our scoring chances today with Mossy and TJ from play probably the most guilty.

Good to see Wally back because we need all these lads fighting for places. Surprised Mullen didn’t get a run but obviously not quite ready yet. We miss his few scores but I think we really miss his bit of composure and good decision making on the ball.

Thought Carey had a very good game today and came out of a lot of rucks with the ball.

Post edited by Charlie69 on

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Fred Daly

Was that not a blackcard on Mossy Keoghan in the first half when he was in on goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭blackcard

TJ was exceptional from placed balls and general play but hit 3 wides he would normally put over in his sleep. Clear black card and penalty not given in the first half, incorrect penalty given in second half. Tom Phelan's touch was very poor. Billy Ryan tried hard, Mossy's shooting was off, Deegan was good. Hopefully, Mullen will be back the next day. Carey returning to form. Lot of improvement still needed

• Registered Users Posts: 5,992 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Fair play kilkenny we never came out of the dressing room in the second half. Surprised we got it to a point in the end tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 5,992 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

To add I thought big Walter was great when he came on caused a lot of problems whenever the ball came near him. He's some unit

• Registered Users Posts: 2,854 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

We should have won much more comfortably, there was only one team in it the second half. Half back line and midfield totally dominated in the second half but we missed a lot of simple chances. TJ missed three tap overs which we might never see again. Mossy also guilty of missing a few. Billy Ryan started poorly but grew into it but Eoin Cody really carried the line when needed. Lee Chin barely got a look in.

Room for improvement but they're going in the right direction.

This team can’t seem to put teams away, we’ve left teams in games this year in league and championship when we’ve been clearly the better team.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Nice to get a win against Wexford. Should've had them buried but 7 awful wides shared between TJ and Mossy in particular left them close enough. Worrying that once again we couldn't close the game out comfortably but do the job against Dublin and it's another semi final and probably Clare again.

Tommy Walsh was clearly being targeted. Thought he should have been whipped off after 20 minutes but he steadied down a bit after they switched Lawlor onto Conor Mac.

We have awful depth in the forwards. Need Mullen back ASAP. And if someone could tell Murphy/the management that pucking every ball on Wally when he comes off the bench is very predictable especially when TJ stacks the same side that would be great.

Still, good for 25 mins of the second half so take the positives

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭davidx40

Agree with JJs Left Hand about Wally and putting the puckouts down on him I can never understand it because wally is brutal under a high ball......I was sitting right beside him today when Murphy put them down on him ..,..it is absolutely brutal to look at his technique

• Advertisement

It's also a really poor idea when it's clear Wexford are set up perfectly to deal with it with the marker batting down the ball to the free man who is waiting for it. It can work at times like the 2nd goal with got against Clare in the 2022 Semi Final but you won't get away with doing it nearly every puckout. What was frustrtaing about seeing that was Murphy's puckouts were actually really good before Wally came on and more importantly were varied which meant that Wexford couldn't set themselves to defend against them.

On the match itself it's a really good win against a side who've struggled against the last few years. We were miles better than them from the 30 minute until they got the 2nd goal around the 60th minute and would have been much more comfortable if TJ from play and Keoghan hadn't drove all those bad wides. Billy Ryan had a great 2nd half and scored some good points. Half back line of Carey, Reid and Blanchfield were super in the 2nd half, Reid as a center back works when the opposition plays with a sweeper, it doesn't really when the opposition go man-to-man. Blanchfield did a fine job on Chin who was much quieter than usual, Blanchfield was much more disciplined positioning wise than he usual was. Carey won a large amount of ball and used it effectively. Deegan had a fine game in the midfield and scored some fine long range points, he was also able to match Wexford's running game which was a big help. Donnelly and Kenny were fairly quiet but put in the work. Phelan was poor and he'll be lucky to start next time out. Fogarty cut off Wexford's running routes in the 2nd half very effectively, he shouldn't start but he's done well when he's came on against Dublin and today.

Cody wasn't particularly great for most of the match but he was crucial for the penalty as Reck who was like a postage stamp on him for most of the match finally got called for pulling him back. Certainly a foul, whether it was a penalty or not was difficult to judge from my angle. But in any case Wexford got away with one hugely in the first half when O'Hanlon pulled back Keoghan when he was clean through on goal which was the type of tackle the black card was created for.

What annoys me is if you are going to puck ball down on top of Walter, at least get plenty of bodies around him anticipating the breaking ball. We never seem to win the ball when it goes to ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Think an education is needed on the black card, it's not soccer it doesn't matter weather your last man or not, Kyle Hayes wasn't last man but his rugby tackle on Shane Kingston merited a black card as it was deliberate and denied a clear goal scoring opportunity, there can 5 be men between the player and the goal but if ref thinks the drag to the ground or trip inside the 21 was intentional and denied a clear goalscoring opportunity he can give it. Watched back the incident in the 1st half today the reason ye didn't get the penalty was Keoghan was fouled when he won ball in the air and by the time he was on the ground he had taken 12 steps. If he fell straight away he might have got it.

No debate over your penalty, it was a blatant foul but how a ref, 2 umpires and a linesman can determine it a penalty is nothing short of scandalous.

Fair play though ye deserved it overall, your half back line particularly cleaned us out from minute 30-60, made good adjustments e.g Taking Tommy Walsh who was getting rinced off Conor Mc, negated Chin and Rory O'Connor well, taught we could have introduced Kevin Foley and Jacko earlier, we didn't lose our Leinster final place in my opinion today we lost it conceding the 2 injury time goals v Dublin and our no show bar 3 players in Belfast.

Post edited by Billy Ocean on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,480 ✭✭✭kk.man

Same V limerick re Wally in second half all ireland last year.

Mike Carey has the makings of a v good half back.

Wexford targeted Tommy Walsh again today and no amount of work Hue does makes up for it. How should never drift from full back.

As I said rightly or wrongly a trip, drag or pull down TO THE GROUND is rule at the moment for the black card, Keoghan took 12 steps by the time he was on the ground.

The penalty ye got was nothing short of bizarre

Fair post…. I think the rule is worded badly if it says the player must be pulled to the ground though, there’s no doubt that Mossy was deprived a goal scoring opportunity by O’Hanlon. I agree re the penalty we did get , I’m not sure why that was given.

It actually doesn't say to the ground it just says pull down in the rules I thought. Plus 12 steps!, think you need to get your eyes checked if you saw that many steps. In any case if the steps rule was enforced properly Wexford's 2nd goal would be done for O'Connor over carrying.

Frustratingly I can't find the penalty decision video yet, It was a foul but from my angle I couldn't judge the location of the foul.

Wouldn't be surprised if the incident in the 1st half was in ref's mind, also your county board may think carefully if their taking concerts mid season, Bruce did some job on the pitch towards the Loughlins end.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭blackcard

The foul for the penalty was a good metre outside the 13m line so KK should not have got a penalty

• Advertisement

It was clearly 12 steps, watched it back on GAAGO when I got home, you may book Specsavers for the morning. Rory took 7 or 8 for that goal in fairness.

Advertisement