Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Freneys Treasure

That Offaly crowd are worth a few scores each day they're out

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Conversations 3

Screeney is what Drennan should be, his work rate is unbelievable.

The whole team, blocking and flicking non stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭Charlie69

Screeney savage but young Bourke centre forward had some game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Yet the majority of them won't be in Croke Park for the Joe McDonagh Final, the 2 pitch invasions (don't know exactly where the blame lays) were farcical and highly unfair on both sets of players.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Box to box

Not directing this at you i know what you are trying to say but this is a reason why we aren't winning underage. We are kilkenny,We have high standards,this was a very good u20 side and we knew what was coming but we didn't hurl well enough for long enough to win the match. Every single match the losing team has chances. It can be buttered up all it wants because there will be another excuse next year.

I accept management is a tough job and huge work went into preparing teams but the truth is there was a terrible f*k up from pj Kenny and co.Kk half back line lack of pace was spoke about since Christmas and was said a million times here. It was a repeat of last year which is unforgivable.Extremly slow to make changes.We had lads who were playing and coming on two years ago who have gone backwards unfortunately.Marks tenure unfortunately can only be viewed as a failure.Its absolutely vital the right men are appointed. That golden generation kk had Richie power,Tommy Walsh,Richie hogan might get involved. Brian hogan has being excellent and he had no experience but he had huge respect from the players. Kk have being happy enough to accept defeat a long time now, that was never the kk way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Marrooned

ye well I’d have to agree with all of that, but it does brighten things up and the future is looking brighter with the minors 19s, Celtic challenge team in a final Sunday week , U 16s won at the weekend also. On another note the tickets for Sunday are selling fast, over 9,000 sold this morning probably mostly Wexford we cannot let this happen that we are going to be outnumbered again.

I think more should be done to try encourage our supporters aswell. Is there enough on the local radio and social media?There's no excuse for kk supporters Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭conor05

Lee Chin would ate Ritchie Reid alive if he was in at 6.

Atleast Deegan could somewhat match Chin physically (if that’s possible) to some extent.

Wexford hurt Galway and Carlow by their two speed merchants in midfield running down the middle and laying off to Rory o Connor and McDonald inside.

Turn the middle into a war-zone and don’t let Wexford create rows of runners across the field from deep which they thrive on.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 wexilad

Where did you hear over 9k tickets sold and how do you know mostly bought in Wexford ? Hope you are right looking forward to a cracking atmosphere on Sunday there is a lot on the line for both teams

• Registered Users Posts: 25 wexilad

No tickets left for Ardan De Gras stand on ticketmaster

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭JohnCougar

I did not say they played all games, I said most games which would have been 80% of them which was a lot. My point is that some players played too many challenge games with no break from county or school and some are struggling. There were only 2 games where they played 3 x 30 minutes and some players played all 3 of them. These players were always going to be playing so they should have been rested. As regards outside people picking the team, parents giving out about how its being run (there sons are playing) which is normal, they are not conspiracy theories unfortunately.

I think they will win on Saturday which will give them a 3 week break for the semi final and they will have a great chance as they did well againist the Munster Teams in challenge games.

The U-20's were let down by the Co. Board over the Killian Doyle issue and it should not have happened. They played very well but the missed chances lost them the match. The group we were in and the 5 week gap of no matches did not help either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Village87

Thanks for the update on the Minor, interesting read. I watched Clare and Tipp in the Munster final on Monday, 2 very good teams and Cork are still in the competition, hopefully Kilkenny make the All Ireland semi final directly.

As for the u20, management and county board have an awful lot to answer for, Mark Dowling especially, he has been a very poor selection.

how successful were all the teams you managed.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭hogans heroes

2 years without even getting to a leinster final is a failure,no matter who was running the 20s.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 slash0683

Well can you tell us who the outside person is that is picking the team then? Did they tell you they are picking it or was it one of the management team that informed you? Sounds like you have an axe to grind and are trying to unsettle and undermine things.

I have no way of knowing who played what challenge matches etc so only have your word to go on. They have finished their last 2 games strongly so hopefully fatigue won't be an issue. Looks a 50/50 game on paper. Dublin were miles stronger a few weeks ago but you would be hoping that wasn't our true form.

Doyle issue was definitely a slip up and would agree with your assessment of the match. They had the chances to win it.

Deleted

Hopefully they aren't all gone across the border. Seniors could do with support turning up on Sunday

The issue with Deegan is that the deliveries can let him down. Too often the ball is delivered long and high and favours the defending team. Reid a lot better distributor of the ball. Important to get the match ups right too though

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭JohnCougar

I have no axe to grind. I want the best for hurling in Kilkenny but when things are not right we are entitled to air our genuine views. I go to a lot of underage games in Kilkenny and outside Kilkenny and our best team is not being picked. If we win on Saturday and go on to win the All Ireland with what we have that will be fantastic but I think there is a better team out there. They are my views.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Stripeyman

If you're still looking for them try again, I got two tickets half an hour ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭blackcard

Lee Chin, Cathal McDonald, Rory O'Connor, Liam Og vs TJ, Eoin Cody, John Donnelly, Mossy. Who would you fancy?

Huge game for players and management. Everybody knows they have a very good record against us.Kk do have the safety net of finishing 3rd but a loss would be a disappointment. There's never much between these teams and wexford rise it no end for kk. Last year kk lost a few players during the match but they also got a nice headstart and wexford reeled it back and won the game. Kk had a late goal disallowed for a throw if I remember correctly. Both teams are very familiar with each other. Hanlon usually follows tj,butler on Rory o Connor,probably lawlor on conor mac and the big one from a kk point of view is who will they put on chin who is hurling unbelievable stuff and really is a huge leader. A big catch and score from him is nearly worth 2 points. I wouldn't be surprised if Mikey Carey tracked him but unless the Dublin match brings on the few injured lads they could struggle. This is kk 3rd week in a row and wexford look refreshed plus had they week off. Kk had to work very hard to get a draw from cw and the heat above in parnell Park was cruel but they did finish out that Dublin game well even if Dublin had chances that if they had to converted the scoreline could if being different.

It's no secret kk aren't hurling that well but it's not too bad to be top of the table and guaranteed 3rd spot going into the final round and not hurling well.Theres a few teams throwing in poor performances after good ones so hopefully we have the dirty diesel gone and they bring their best performance of the year to the park on Sunday.Kk need to get their own house in order first, 3 points were handed directly to dublin just passing the ball into their hand,decision making,ball from defence and ball into the forwards has to be much better. The use of ball is a huge one. The performance at home 2 years ago against wexford was one of the worst ever under codys tenure in leinster. Richie reid kept driving ball after ball on top of the loose man. The big question is how will we react when the pressure comes on. They can look at whatever analysis and talk about it but its when the pressure is on you will get the awnser.Teams are going after each other for goals more often nowadays.I know fogarty missed a scandalous point but himself and Richie Reid definitely brought a bit of composure when they came on.wexfords forwards will try pull lads out of their position and they will try pull huw away from the square. Kk have to get match ups correct. They cant look at a lad getting roasted for 70 mins.The bench worked last weekend and the question is will they start the lads who all made a contribution or hold them in reserve?Mullen will probably start. I had heard wally is nearly back. Shane murphy was called ashore after driving a poor wide but he is being pulled around a bit.Carey and blanch could nail down the 2 wings.We need fowards making runs with a purpose and the guy giving the ball is on the same page.It seemed some lads were just making the run for the sake of it the last day.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭jimmythesulk

• Registered Users Posts: 2 seaweed1

Quite obvious a disgruntled parent/family member!!,,,,, Anti comer, anti u/16,anti management,anti tactics, anti speed work , someone outside is picking the team, de parents saying ,anti de world is flat!

Best of luck to minor team and management, A lot of great work being done and from what I hear lads are really enjoying it. Big ask to beat Dublin but fingers crossed!

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Freneys Treasure

Is there some reason the Sutcliffe-Kenny incident isn't/can't be looked at retrospectively? We're used to seeing players sent off for high and frontal challenges these days and this was at the more severe end of the scale seeing that it was completely off the ball and Kenny was totally open and blindsided. To be fair if that offence was committed by someone like Hegarty on a Cork or Clare player for example, there would be uproar about it

• Advertisement

Team out, big chance for Billy Ryan to drive on, again

Advertisement