Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭brookville

I was actually talking to a carlow player today who was very influential yesterday and he told me they spoke at half time about kilkenny just driving the ball when the pressure came on. Cw hung in and took their chances and anyone that was at the game will tell you kk very easily could of lost this match. The result last night was absolutely huge in the hurling world and not taking a thing from cw but the players ran straight off the pitch absolutely disgusted.

Its a long time since i seen the attitude so wrong. Theres absolutely no doubt kk thought all they had to do was turn up. Chris nolan would walk onto the kk team and he should of being tagged for starters. O loughlins knew his threat esrlier this year. Its absolutely not fair on the chap but scandalous that lyng is doing his utmost to keep his clubmate on the panel. He now misses a huge game with the u20s Wednesday night as a result of a silly thing to do.

The knifes are out after this result but infairness it can be turned around. Last week we were flying and this week we're useless. Dublin had a big win but if we dont see a reaction next week the summer could be over this day 2 weeks. If we got carey,deegan and mullen back it would make a big difference. Cody will be gone for another few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭jamesbond2022

where were you after the Galway game that performance didn’t fit in with your agenda always around here after a loss sticking the knife in 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Rochelle

Take off the blinkers, if you can't see that he was bet 6 or more years ago then you haven't a clue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Comerman

Aye 🙄 I never once said he was or wasn't bet but for some posters here to constantly slate him is wrong and if you can't see that then YOU really haven't a clue. Welcome back to the thread by the way 👍

Post edited by Comerman on

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Marrooned

did the county board not know that Doyle wouldn’t be eligible Wednesday night if played on Saturday that’s some fiasco and I heard they wanted to bring in Gearoid Dunne as well only they found out before hand that he wouldn’t be eligible either if they had played him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭The_Tank

I think that chap was me. Did I miss something or is this peak championship season and don't we normally we lose a team or two at this stage? Or have we gone back to the September thing..

And regarding onfield leadership, or lack of, we certainly know it when we don't see it. And that is why I was referencing Henry as an example (Henry the player not the Manager). It would involve someone on the field bollicking their colleagues for launching Exocets from the full back line (Blanchfield *2 and Corcoran 2), constant long puck outs when the game is in the melting pot (Murphy), and ignoring better placed team mates to take on low percentage pot shots (Phelan…). That's why I'm so 'excited' - because I can deal with it to an extent when we're facing Limerick and they use the smarts that they have developed over years - but when it comes to Wexford, or a team copying the Wexford game style it rightly fecks me off. 2 years ago Richie Reid hit a criminal about of ball down on the Wexford sweeper in Nowlan park. We fixed it against Galway and won the next day. 2 years later we're still doing the wrong thing at the wrong time. That's the annoying part. And it's down to the couple of inches between the players ears. And signs this year against Galway in Salthill were we had things right in that respect. Now you'd really have to wonder. Do we need to tattoo it on the players arms or what..?

We were eight points up in the second half - if we continued to work the ball into the right positions and dealt with the wind we would have won by eighteen. Instead we didn't play the game in front of us and got caught doing a host of stupid stuff in stupid parts of the field. And we coulda got bet. I put that down to the lack of smart and a lack of organisers on the field and an inability to commit to doing the right thing. Yeah everybody has a strategy until they are punched in the face, but the slightest tip and we abandon ours.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Wedger90

Not enough respect to the opposition and we got caught really sums it up lads. I hope, really hope this is the kick up the backside we need. But I tend to agree with what was posted, Kilkenny don't want to know about tactics and gameplans. That's the rock we will perish on. Other counties seem to have that bit of heart, we have that brash arrogance Tipp have and will win as much as they have in the next 5-10 years. Old boys and county board fogies don't want to hear today's news, they live off past glories back when men were men

• Registered Users Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Comerman

I picked you up wrong on your Henry comment TT I apologize and agree with you 👍

• Registered Users Posts: 5,878 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

i think a few of us did , some great posts in fairness ,

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Fred Daly

Would have thought these things would have been sorted between the senior, under 20 manager about players playing in both grades.

• Advertisement

major **** up somewhere as regards U20 players I can’t see why they can’t leave the players alone till the competition is finished in about a months time.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭KK36

It couldn't be that the county board officers weren't aware of the situation, could it?

If they were aware, it couldn't be that they didn't make Derek and the selectors aware of the rule. could it?

What was Mark Dowling's position. Did he

1. Not know about the rule
    2. Know the rule but let Doyle play anyway
    3. Know the rule, insist that Doyle didn't play but the senior selectors played him anyway.

Of course, what would have sorted all this is strong leadership from our chairman. He should simply have told Derek that the U20s are not allowed to play against Carlow as they have a big match on Wednesday night. But then again, we'll be waiting for any signs of strong leadership from PJ Kenny. He'll be in the photos though, don't worry about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 wexilad

Will Deegan, Mullen, Carey and Cody be back for Wexford game?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 longcovid

I saw that the ref in the KK V CW game pulled us a few times for throwing and probably rightly so. However Stack who seems to be getting some plaudits for his performance in the Ck v Lim game let the two teams, particularly Limerick throw the ball at will. I watched the match and highlights back on the Saturday game on GAA Go. Even on the highlights the throwing from Limerick was a disgrace. They do this regularly to get back in a game… play close together around the middle with short throws to work an opening. Absolutely blatant in front of him. No semblance of even trying to disguise it. Now, apart from that it was an exciting game but can we keep the pressure on these forums to cut out this blatant cheating…. or slick play as Ger Canning likes to refer it as.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Sir Chaz

Everyone on here is ignoring the real reason for the below par display. It's all Springsteens fault, we lost in 2013 v Cork the weekend he played, and now he's just jinxed us against Carlow of all teams. Once he heads back stateside, all will be normal again. 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭Alonzo Moseley

I have posted several times here that the more a match is deemed a "spectacle", the more likely it is that most of the rules of the game were likely not applied.

This makes change very difficult, because great spectacle matches like Sat in Cork would suffer and there would be the usual wailing from Donal Og et al that the game is being ruined, when in fact you would be saving the game long term.

You can be about 95% certain that you will get away with a throw and take up to 8 steps, without being pulled, so modern coaches will encourage you to do both.

They are the two biggies, but other ones like keepers being allowed take 3-5 yards extra on puckouts never get pulled. Players stealing up to 10 yards on frees to bring them in to range, being allowed push and sometimes even drag opponents over the line to concede the cut or 65.

Every team is doing all of these things, but again, unsurprisingly Limerick are streets ahead because they have the best stats and the most advanced coaching, they know better than anyone the risk/reward ratio of stealing an advantage and they maximise it. Quite simple they have it down to T what they can get away with. Diarmuid Byrnes is now better at stealing yards on long distance frees that even Padraic Joyce was back in the day stealing 10 yards to improve the angle of his kick.

The culmination of all this (waiving the rules to improve the spectacle and scoring) in a few years, will be a game that is no longer recognisable, some sort of hybrid of hurling, lacrosse, basketball and international handball.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭supernova5

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Freneys Treasure

Hurling is in a strange place at the moment, if you play by the rules, you'll win nothing

I was on about this long ago and it was scoffed at

• Registered Users Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Anyone mention the larger bás and lighter sliothar too ..?

I would agree Alonzo …

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭Village87

Is Killian Doyle actually ineligible to play tomorrow night after starting Saturday. What an absolute mess. What was Lyng playing at. This match Wednesday is a massive game for Kilkenny. They will be up against a very good Offaly team with a crowd of 10 to 15000 and more than likely the referee. Lyng fecked up Doyle's year last year playing him against Tipp when he was not ready and never really recovered. Now he is doing the same again, what a game for the chap to miss and he is also suspended for Kilkenny seniors next week also. Mess

I was listening to the match on kclr, and by god Michael Walsh ruins the broadcast EVERY time …..

Constantly cutting across Brendan Hennessey and almost taking over! - A co commentators job is to give analysis when asked/invited by the main commentator!!
    If i was hennessey id be telling him to shut up until hes asked to speak…

And then when he speaks , he trys to give a 30-60second speech - and lots happen in 30-60 seconds in a hurling match!! Hennessey trying to butt in on Walshs (usually silly) observations is embarrassing…
    They really need to move Walsh out , as he really ruins a great service by kclr - in my opinion.

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭brookville

Its actually hardly hard to believe management didnt know the rules regarding the u20 rule. We were all saying it when the match squad was announced what were they at with the 3 lads. It was absolutely shocking and from what ive heard we are lucky its only doyle thats gone.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Looking for a stand ticket for parnell park on Saturday if anyone has one to spare or a season ticket holder not planning to travel?

100% agree and meant to include both in my post.

The game is being dumbed down and exploited by devious coaching and tactics and quite frankly, cheating, and because it is leading to much bigger scorelines and specatcles, no one wants to tackle it. But long term it will destroy the game.

How could you fail to hit the ball cleanly with a bas like Kingston's?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Go back and watch a game from the 90s or 00s and come back and say the game is worse now. There's some serious whinging going on in here. The throwing is annoying as is the lack of policing of the steps rule, no doubt about it, but calm down with the destroying the game talk.

All high achievers push the boundaries and the rules to their limit. What can I get away with to benefit me. That's just magnified in sport. It's always been this way and always will be. When they eventually get a handle on throwing of the ball, however they do it, players will find something else.

I agree totally that the game as a spectacle is far better than even 20 years ago (almost all sports are), where I disagree is that I believe a lot of it is illusory.

I see kids’ of 13/14 years of age doing stuff with sliotar that even gifted prodigies like Cha and Richie Power couldn’t do 25 years ago?

Are they more skilful or gifted?

I don’t believe they are; I believe the flaunting of the rules on playing and equipment allied to innovative coaching that games and even cheats the rules of the game, are making ordinary players (dedicated ones that will religiously do everything their coaches tell them to do on play, diet, s&c and lifestyle) look like superstars and making the game ridiculously easy to play. And unlike you, I see trouble in that. Crazy scorelines become the norm, points from inside your own 30 yards, advanced coaching that will see the ability to turn over ball almost impossible to do without fouling etc.

Dove tail that with the resource issue and I believe you have real trouble in both codes. I repeat, Dublin have won just won minor AI in last 40 years, and their general record at all underage, is at best average, yet churn out top class senior players at will. Because they are exposed to a level of coaching and match preparation that other counties simply cannot hope to match. Players of a standard that might not even make a Kerry starting 15 at minor, routinely become main stays of Dublin senior squad.

Titles will be won more and more by teams, not based on raw talent, but based on resources and coaching (most definitely including coaching that maximises nonadherence by officials to the rules of the game).

All sports go through periods of innovation, but most realise that a loose application of the rules strategy, allowing their sports become hugely high scoring spectacles is not a good long term strategy.

20-25 years ago, Baseball allowed steroid fuelled players shatter home run records at will, it was spectacular stuff for a while, but they soon realised this would damage the game long term.

I know that is an extreme example, but it is an example of how looking the other way on application of rules because it helps a game aesthetically look better, isn’t a smart long term strategy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭Village87

I agree. The game was in trouble maybe 6/7 years ago with sweepers being a popular tactic but with quick puck outs, good long range striking and teams working the ball up the field they have all but eliminated the sweeper and the game is as good as ever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 lob it in

Some great points.Throwing the ball is vital to Limericks game plan,if Limerick for example throw the ball 30 times in a game the referee at most might blow 2 or 3 so that's 27 throw balls they will get away with, if you are the Limerick Manager/coach of course you are going to encourage the "quick release"ie throw,it's a gamble worth taking.There was talk of maybe changing the handpass rule but if referees just implemented the rule as is there would be no need to change.

Advertisement