Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭brookville

Management got it wrong and didnt learn a thing from last year which is shocking. We have being saying it for 8 months that you simply cant have langton and hughes in the same line. From the 1st minute they went after langton and management looked at it for a long time. We desperately and i mean desperately need to look at the management involved with underage teams. This was a good crop and again we underachieved.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Hurlingtothebone

I can guarantee Joe Fitz wouldn't have got the roasting that half back line got but then karma is a bitch.

Harry Shine excellent today Kilkenny best player. Don't see what you see in Marty Murphy

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭jamesbond2022

He was in the half backline that got destroyed last year watched him in club games the last few years and all though further up the field he was still slow to get back once turned

Very physical and great if the ball is hit down on top of him but after that I think he struggles

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Village87

Won a hard ball for the penalty and played Shine who caught a good ball. Great save from the keeper and Shortall scored the rebound , hit the crossbar after another good catch, scored 2/3 points. Only him and Shine doing anything, Dunne and other forwards and midfield and half back line poor. Full back line good

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭JohnCougar

I have said it here numerous times that our Athletic Development or S&C at inter county level is not good enough at senior, U-20, minor and underage. We are way behind. There is no speed or agility training and that is reflected in performances on the field. It’s all about weights. Our coaches may have certificates but where did they do their practical training and at what level. We also don’t do tactics because it’s not coached properly as it takes repetition and hard work. We are going backwards quick and the problem is a lot of the so called experts think there is nothing wrong. Michael Fennelly has a lot to do as we have lost 10 years since we last won minor.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 AhBoyDelaney

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭jimmythesulk

I don't know why posters are saying this is a good Kilkenny team. They are not. Big and slow. Very little pace in the team. One of the biggest problems with this thread is you have posters like Alonso who come on and overhype some 17 or 18 year olds every time Kierans win a meaningless match in a meaningless schools competition. Alot of these superstars are then found out to be just average at intercounty level.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 AhBoyDelaney

Why is there a Tipperary man in with KK u20s as a selector.? It’s an insult to all the coaches in KK who love the black and amber and feel it in their blood. How can a TIP man come into KK and what’s worse it’s allowed.

Also they should have allowed the extended panel members hurl with their clubs to get proper matches. They will use the Killian Doyle episode as an excuse but that’s not good enough. Better team won on the night. Humiliated 2 years in a row and no way should Dowling have got the job after being in Thurles for 2 years.

KK need a Director over all hurling as we are going down a bad road and a road that Cork are taking a long time to recover from.

Pity as it would have been great to get to a U20 final which is being played in Nowlan Park this year. The country board need to comment on how a TIp man is with KK U20s.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭corner back 2

Looked like a good team on paper except for trying to fit 3 centre backs into the half back line. It seems to me that coaching, S&C etc is still a major issue. Players are going into county panels, development squads etc and not coming back to their clubs as better hurlers. Are they teaching heads up hurling, movement off the ball, positional sense, puck out strategy etc. On the evidence of tonight and the minors at the weekend it doesn't look like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Couple of things. Seeing Galway beat as well, I think the gap between the round robin games and the semi finals was obviously a factor and the extra games Offaly and Dublin played in the interim stood to them.

Michael Brennan started the two round robin games but didn't get on the field today. Queally and Glynn didn't play the two round robin games and started today. Doesn't tell me that management knew their best team. Ally that with the Doyle **** show and it's not very professional in nature.

Raw hurling talent wise this group of lads have it but they're all so slow. I still maintain Neary is wasted at 2. He's a playmaker and bar getting the odd short one off Holland for a 1-2 to go long he's just not on the ball enough. Another team with no real midfield. Hackett is a corner forward and whether it was Walsh or Queally, neither of those are midfielders. Half back line is well spoken about. Just no speed to recover and zero threat going forward. Didn't see one off the shoulder from any of them.

Very disappointed with Dunne today. Shortall anonymous. Murphy very strong under a high ball but couldn't get away from his man at all when he lands. Shine very good but would worry about his robustness and that missed free is unacceptable at that level. Rushed it and made a stones of it.

Subs did **** all bar Ted Dunne causing a bit of carnage under a high ball with Murphy but when you're resorting to route one to chase it's desperation stuff.

So, yea. All positive.....

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭usualstripes

You have to hand it to offaly. Their midfield and forwards gave us a torrid time. Our half back line completely cleaned out and it was 10 minutes to go before we made any changes.

I'm not sure what happened with Joe Fitz but he was badly missed this evening. Referee again very poor but we only have ourselves to blame. The main difference between the two teams this evening was how their delivery into their wing forwards was very good and they were out for everything. They cleaned us out completely there.

Lessons in coaching have to be learned. As good a hurlers that we have we need to do better. In saying all of that we could and should have won the game. What the hell was dunne doing taking the penalty?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 kinghenry1

If Lar Murphy of Tullogher is not better than any of the 3 half backs then management know nothing about hurling keep making the same mistakes and gets the same result.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

The Galway manager mentioned about the gap between the end of the group stage and the semi finals during an interview on TG4 a few minutes ago. And he pointed at it being the main reason that Galway performed so poorly (worth mentioning though that he was very magnanimous in defeat and said Dublin were by far the better team).

If you are talking about the Leinster quater final last year he played with an infection in his tendon and spent a week in hospital after that match. For the last number of years he has played in the forwards for his club and has done wel. He can play forwards or backs. You are definitely entitled to your opinion and I respect that. However I do think he was missed tonight and from what I've since heard about the reason Joe dropped himself off the panel the management in my opinion have alot to answer for

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭hogans heroes

2 years in a row beaten by pace, not 1 kilkenny player had a turn of pace.we have bulked up but it's not a wrestling match.offaly are average .Doyle a loss tonight after a total f up on Saturday

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭jamesbond2022

Fair enough but I’ve seen a lot of people hype him up here which I don’t agree with he had one good all Ireland for Kieran’s

After that he was cleaned out in any of the games I saw and watched not just that quarter final

We needed pace tonight and he would not have been the answer

He’s young and as I mentioned has lots of qualities in the air and physicality and will get better

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭droppingball

Very disappointing night, midfield didn't offer any cover and the half back line couldn't handle runners. Couple of things went against us at crucial times.

Disappointed for Joe Fitz that his underage career ended like this but I have not been impressed with him in a long time, no aggression and way to passive, has the talent but doesn't have that cutting edge.

Shine with the exception of the free looked sharp and Murphy is a great ball winner, if he can improve his mobility he will be decent. Didn't happen for Dunne but he will have better days. We didn't really play a game that suited Glynn or Shortall.

We didn't have a single player in the middle third who was breaking the lines at all, not sure why we aren't producing anyone that can carry the ball lay it off and go again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Alonzo Moseley

All Ireland schools A finals and semi finals are "meaningless matches"

FFS, what an ignorant statement. Schools hurling is much more informative than minor which has almost become a contrarian indicator for further success (yet another good Galway minor team well beaten tonight at u20). We beat Galway by 19pts a few weeks ago then lost to two bang avearge teams. Minors are too young, and even good minor teams rarely win U20s.

Furthermore, the last two Kierans AI winning teams were vastly better coached and managed than that shambles tonight.

Brian Dowling would have got far more out of that group than we saw tonight. Offaly hurled as a team with a plan, we hurled as individuals and with no clear plan except long ball. And he'd never have lined out with so many one paced players.

Kilkenny has tons of good hurlers, but we have a real deficit in good quality coaches, especially when it comes to our underage teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭conor05

Not sure who is the Dublin under 20 hurlers S & C coach but my god there is some serious pace in that team.

I know Dublin have better access to gyms, coaches etc but surely Kilkenny have lads up to date in speed, agility and S&C?

Didnt have a bet but I fancied Dublin tonight, I know a few of the lads involved and they had been going really well in challenges etc, beat Tipp I think. Nothing went right for them in round match with Galway and I knew they believed they could rectify it.

I think they will beat Offaly.

Both Offaly and Dublin were miles off Kilkenny and Galway 3 years ago at minor.

Better coached, better prepared and learned far more in the 3 years since.

One really has to question the relevance of U17 minor

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

I'd argue its very relevant as a reference point for monitoring development and how things are trending. If your standard relative to other teams is consistently dropping from 17 to 20 or 18 to 21 then what's being done is not working and needs to be torn down and start again.

For example when KK won the U20 All Ireland in 2022 6 players played in the final who did/could have played tonight. Fitzpatrick, Langton, Doyle, Dunne, Shine and James Walsh. So a 3rd of the team that won an AI were there 2 years ago and haven't got out of Leinster since

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Alot of the leading lights for Offaly were still u16 at that point. That Offaly team that lost the minor final to Tipp with the last minute goal are basically u19 now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭brookville

Brian dowling is getting experience above in kildare. There will more than likely be 2 jobs up for grabs next year at underage (could be a senior job up for grabs if we lose the next 2 matches) who would we like to see? The 2 mullallys doing great work in cw. Tom is excellent but could kk get him? Infairness eddie done a good job in laois.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 BC79

RIP Kilkenny hurling. That's the poorest week for kk hurling that I can remember. It's a circus from the top full of spoofers. There's coaches involved in development squads that wouldn't get an u7 team with their clubs. Player development is measured in inches lost and muscle gained whether a player can run and actually hurl doesn't seem to matter anymore. It's up to the clubs now to save Kilkenny hurling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Advertisement