Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Different sport in Cork

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Slates

Today's result would never have happened with Mr Cody in charge...

Massive congratulations to Carlow. Best team for most of the game and especially the 2nd half.

The standard of reffing is in a very bad place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭me89

Billy Drennan in for Owen Wall was another mistake, I don't like to single lads out but the first thing you need in a kk jersey is savage work rate and I've yet to see that from Drennan.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭ttowncat

Scandalous nepotism and bias starting Killian Doyle out of the blue. The young lad has a big match next Wednesday ffs. Same last year putting a leaving cert student in against tipp for a league match debut.

Shambolic stuff from team and management. Embarrassing.

It was a perfect match to keep going with Tallis on goal.

No issue with Murphy playing after Tallis' mistake in the Galway game showed he's not ready

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭deadybai

Worst Kilkenny performance I’ve seen in my life. I couldn’t believe what I was watching.

Did they not take Carlow seriously or what?

There has to be serious questions asked about the management after that. The players too.

I’m just in total shock.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭Comerman

Cork scores 3.28 against limerick and Kilkenny score 1.20 against carlow ffs we're bollixed for a long time I think 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Conversations 3

Is there anyone who saw it or was there that can give a breakdown of performances and how the game went?

I know it'll be hard to relive it. 🙈

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭ttowncat

Murphy is terrible at puck outs. Tallis has to go through the "this is championship senior intercounty hurling-no f#cking about" moments. Will murphy be on goal next year? If i had any money on it i would say not, as anecdotally I've heard he's unhappy being in setup for years.

But railroading the midfielder into corner back spot really pisses me off.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,841 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

I see what you're saying but it was one mistake, he had a good game otherwise, he's not going to learn much on the bench. I also think his puckouts are streets ahead of Murphy's, which is nearly more important than shot stopping these days.

We may have been rode by the ref at the end, but Carlow played a smart game, they tightened things up at the back in the first half and kept in touch, and took their opportunities when they got them, the goal was deserved.

We on the other hand looked very complacent, there was no shape to the team and no urgency to our play. Ball into the forwards was aimless and played right into their hands all day, and we never did anything about it. Shooting was atrocious. A lot of people playing like they not only expected the win to just happen but that they felt very comfortable in their place on the starting fifteen.

Worst of all was that after their goal we completely panicked, lost our shape and played completely headless stuff. Those are moments for cool heads with faith in a strong plan. We had none of that.

Credit to Carlow, they played everything to a T, don't remember when I last saw TJ get totally roasted. Mullally was on top of everything tactically, would love to have him in our senior set up.

Blaming the ref for a match we should be winning by double digits (no offense to Carlow but it's a simple numbers have, they've only six senior clubs) is only bollocks talk, Lyng should be breaking hurls in that dressing room, and a lot of lads playing today had better be getting used to watching from the bench. Hope to see a big response now next day, that was unacceptable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭brookville

Mullally would buy and sell alot of managers in kilkenny. Some absolutely chronic decisions made before and during the match.B Theres players consistently poor and start every match. Ya wouldn't see it in any other county. Last 2 matches are huge and dublin away is tricky. We would beat nothing this evening. fair play to cw but a really dark day for kk.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Freneys Treasure

I'm patiently waiting for the post that reveals that Kilkenny trained this morning or are heading off to Portugal on Monday or there was food poisoning in the team, anything..

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭JohnCougar

There are too many U-16 on the team and it’s not right. There is agenda here being driven by people outside the camp and they are influencing the manager. All the parents were talking about it last night and they are not happy. There is enough good hurlers up to the age but they are not getting a chance at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Martin567

Apparent explanation for the last Carlow free in the link below.

I'm not sure if this makes sense though. If the free was awarded for Tom Phelan throwing the ball away when he was over the sideline (theoretically preventing Carlow taking a quick line cut), surely the free would have been right on the line.

Instead he immediately awarded a free at least 10 metres infield in a much more scoreable position.

https://www.balls.ie/gaa/carlow-kilkenny-seamus-hickey-free-597468

• Registered Users Posts: 4,760 ✭✭✭kksaints

Does show that we need Mullen and Eoin Cody back fairly quickly anyway. Think Billy Ryan will be back on the bench next day and must be near enough to last chance saloon at this stage.

I see the last free was given because Tom Phelan threw the ball away before the final sideline, haven't seen that before and daft from Phelan because it would have required a monster sideline to equalise.

This tweet explains it.

The ref was irrelevant. At least 16 wides and the decision making from Blanchfield and Phelan in particular in the last 15/20 minutes was awful. I have no idea who our centre back was in that game. It appeared to be Corcoran but the only time he was on the ball was down the left hand side.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,760 ✭✭✭kksaints

Fair enough, now I want to see that enforced everytime from now on. Will it? Think we can guess the answer to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭The_Tank

Kilkennys onfield leadership has been terrible for years. Henry would have lost his sh 1 t with some of the crazy stuff going on. Who is responsible on the different lines to pull things together?

After such a encouraging approach up in Salthill, this… So depressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭RamonD3

There was a lot of derision from some counties whenever Cody went on about having savage respect for different Leinster counties, as if it was all plámás from him. But he'd never underestimate an opponent and you'd be damn sure if a lad wasn't all in on a day he wouldn't be stood there looking at him. It's easy to say he had a peerless crop of players and could afford to be ruthless but it does him a disservice.

It was as strange a game as I ever saw, just flat in the first half with some awful wides all round. Then a panic and direction less in the second whenever Carlow started eating into the lead. Carlow really deserved it and you couldn't not be happy for them at the end of it all. Even if they end up relegated at the end of it that's a day that their followers will always remember

Thought Cian Kenny was excellent in the first half and one bright spot

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Village87

I missed the game as I went down with my son to the match In Super Valu Cork.

Congrats to Carlow on a great result. Not the end of the world.

• blatantly obvious Lyng is doing his best to get Killian Doyle in there, massive match for Kilkenny u20 this week and he started Doyle. I went to a few matches in Junior Championship last year. Killian Doyle was poor, was physically way behind last year in Junior Championship

• Tom Mullaly has done great work in Kilkenny club and with Carlow, for some reasons the Nowlan Park click turn there noses up at him.

• How is Conor Fogarty still getting game time , I could not believe my eyes when I seen him introduced. He has not hurled well since Micheal Fennelly retired

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

The Leinster Championship is interesting but the Munster Championship is out of this world. What a match tonight. Kilkenny will be grand..probably the kick in the ppants they need. A terrible beauty was born tonight in Cork. This is no false Dawn.. Cork are back in Business.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

BUT Henry fucked off to Galway after the money and has done fuckall with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Charlie69

Excellent post…. Agree with every word . I shouldn’t have complained about the ref earlier myself but I certainly wasn’t blaming him for our terrible performance.

The attitude was all wrong from the throw in, it looked to me like lads were playing for themselves and not the team, thought they’d get away with it against Carlow. Several times players went for ambitious scores when there was an obvious team mate better placed.

Unfortunately we play a lot of headless stuff most of the time and how Lyng looked at Murphy hitting balls down on top of the extra man all day is unforgivable really.

It’ll be interesting to see how we respond to this now. Huge game in Parnell park now and Dublin will have their tails up after todays result.

Post edited by Charlie69 on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,878 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

if ye can be fooled by today forget about it , carlow did excellent today fine , big strong men well able to win the dirty ball but long range passing that hasn't been seen since gaa gold on rte , the reality is kilkenny have been below par since the league final , most likely doing a last round of heavy training today was massively unexpected but if you think a team that has won the last two leinster finals , and lost the last two league and all ireland finals can be based on a run of the mill game against carlow forget about it

kilkenny need one more point from the next two games to get a leinster final place nobody is getting excited

what i do think is unreal is… , i remember watching a friday night show on rte back in 2004 or there abouts , carlow were in division 3B at the time , the segment was about developing the game in the county by brining in outside coaches from kilkenny ,tonight shows just how well that has paid off

we have donal og ranting for years about how hurling is being starved of oxygen, when in reality all you need is a good development plan and some good people behind to drive it on

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Slates

It was very simple… we are kilkenny, go out and hurl your ass off, if you disrespect the opposition you will and can get caught.

Today we got caught .

Was in the stand with my Daddy 74 and me 47. We were blessed not to get bet. Carlow miles better in the last 20 mins.

Congratulations to Carlow

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭jamesbond2022

Similar to keeper stepping out of small square pucking the ball out it’s pulled once in a blue moon

Some Kilkenny supoorter alright and still find time to dig fogerty 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Martin567

We will not qualify for a Leinster Final with one more point (5 in total). We almost certainly wouldn't qualify with 6 either although that would guarantee third place at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,878 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

i am probably sounding like one of them weather forecasts online especially on facebook that says "ireland to be scorched by 20C heat " ignoring the fact that 3mm of rain is also promised and cloud cover ……

so lets just say dublin win in parnell pk next week and kilkenny draw with wexford in round five , dublin beat galway to go with that…..

its nonsense but if kilkenny supporters are getting that excited forget it like your man was, everyone knows kilkenny will be at the business end of things regardless of dr cullen pk tonight

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭jimmythesulk

Despite all the negativity on here, isn't it great to have such an exciting Leinster championship after the bore it has been the last few years.

Advertisement