Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Montys return

Will have to draw the line there at throwing and players taking too many steps being equated to players taking performance enhancing drugs. There is no fair comparison in that.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Freneys Treasure

Is anyone claiming that the game is worse now that the 80s and 90s? The eras are almost incomparable anyway, it would be like comparing an amateur sport with a professional one.

Sports evolve over time, and yes, sports people push the rules as far as they can until they are stopped in some way, usually the rules are more strictly applied or even tweaked to address this. However, in hurling we have had years now of the most fundamental rules being broken to gain advantage and it not being addressed. I would not share your confidence that they "eventually get a handle on throwing of the ball", there is much less discussion about it than there was a couple of seasons ago for example.

I don't think it is right to dismiss anyone that regards this situation to be more than just annoying as whingers, it is not unreasonable to state that this disregard for the basic rules and regulations has shaped the way the game is played today, where we have many games that are extremely stop start in nature, where possession is too easy to retain (some might disagree), where no one knows what a legal tackle is anymore, it's often almost impossible to defend legally and results are often influenced by this lack of application of the rules. (I will admit that there seems to be some improvement this season in terms of excitement, uncontested scoring and ball in play time, not sure if the new ball is one factor here, but who knows if the improvement will continue)

There is certainly something amiss if for a particular sport you can state that if the rules of the game were applied you'd probably have a much different spectacle. And how will the game evolve from here? Of course, we'll have a few classics, usually in the Munster Championship, each year to give the impression everything is rosy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭Village87

Hard to enforce the steps. A lot of players are fouled in the process of carrying the steps and the ref usually plays the advantage rule thus allowing 7/8 steps

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭Alonzo Moseley

Hence why I cleary didnt "equate it", I specifically said it was "an extreme example" of rules initially being ignored because the end result was exciting for spectators (home runs billyo).

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Nedflanders02

I didn't post straight after the game on Saturday as emotions would have been high but after looking back on it and reading a lot of stuff here it's not hard to be very annoyed over everything that went on. Firstly, fair play to Carlow, there performances against Galway and Dublin should have warned us they weren't going to be pushovers and they deserved their result. In Mouse Kavanagh, Chris Nolan and James Doyle they have 3 payers who I'd have no doubt would be starting for us if they lived a few miles up the road in Graig, Gowran, Clara or Paulstown.

For us the performance was completely unforgivable. There is absolutely no excuses for the team going in so complacent on Saturday. Starting young Doyle was a strange call given the U20 on Wednesday but to then play him in the backs where I doubt he's ever played at underage for Kilkenny was bizarre! Someone said earlier about the lack of leaders in the team and that's been a massive problem over the last few years, Paddy Deegan has many faults but one thing I will say for Paddy is that he is one of the few Kilkenny players that are very vocal on the pitch. A lot of our players seem very timid and when the tide starts turning on us we find it very hard to stem the flow. We keep talking about puck outs and its hard to understand how obvious a problem it us to the fans at games but not the management. They've either accepted that Murphy won't change or they can't see the problem in front of them, either way it's not a great sign. The big problem for management now is that they have brought on a lot of criticism and attention on themselves, they really need to bounce back from this with a bang over the next couple of weeks as anything less than 2 wins and we will be under severe pressure to get out of Leinster. Can we win those games? Absolutely! Would you be running down to the bookies to back us to win those games? I doubt it!

The players and management have a massive few days ahead of them to get this right, you'd hope that they will be breaking down the walls in the dressing room in Parnell Park next weekend to get out and put this right. I was talking to an ex Kilkenny player after the concert on Sunday night and we was speaking of the attitude in the dressing room after the 2013 loss to Dublin with the short turn around before the Tipp game and how lads would have played it the next morning to set it right! That's the attitude we need at the weekend, bring the right attitude and I think we'll beat Dublin but anything like the attitude we showed on Saturday and it'll be a quiet summer ahead for us! As fans I don't think we all accept that we don't have a divine right to win every game but the only thing we look for is effort and commitment from players, over the years with Cody as manager that was always a given, hopefully Saturday was a blip and we put it right against Dublin and Wexford in the last 2 games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Conversations 3

A lot of the players were together at Bruce on Sunday, I'm sure plenty of the crowd gave them their opinion on the game after a few cans.

The real boss, Cody was in attendance as well, I'd say the current players were happy not to bump into him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,910 ✭✭✭blackcard

An event that supposedly happened in Carlow last Saturday should be referred to as the match that never happened or the game that shall never be talked about. FAKE NEWS. Young Kilkenny children that misbehave should be warned they will have to watch this supposed event. For my own sanity, I am going to believe last Saturday never happened same as the tooth fairy or that Leitrim is a real place

Very interesting u20 team, I hope I am wrong but that back line looks slow. Massive game for Mark Dowling and co

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

The half back line is slow. No Joe Fitz on the bench or extended panel?

Couple of big changes from the first two games with Queally and Glynn in from the start - I think Glynn was injured but did Queally get any minutes in the first two games? Walsh as a midfielder is a big call

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Marrooned

best of luck to Mark Dowling and the squad tomorrow, it’s a hard task but drive it on hopefully turn around KK misfortunes from last week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭Alonzo Moseley

Joe Fitzpatrick was arguably our best player when we won in 2022. It beggars beief he isnt among the best 36 U20 hurlers in Kilkenny. He played Walsh Cup for seniors just 3 months ago and was keeping Eoin Downey off the UCC FItz team.

Strange, hope he bounces back.

Great to see Glynn in but Doyle absence really reduces bench options

He must have dropped himself off the panel

?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Charlie69

• Registered Users Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭Brian017

Another thing I find he does that infuriates me is that when the sliotar is in the air going towards goal he often buts in saying “wide…wide…oh no, he’s got it!” (Or vice versa) or during the last play on Saturday he started shouting something to the effect of “OMG. He’s given a free. I can’t believe it” over and over. I wasn’t for a good 10-15 seconds that they was clarification who the free was for.

He has to realise he is on the radio and the listeners can’t see what is happening so it’s important to only relay accurate and right information. He should wait until the ball goes over before declaring a score or a wide

As bad as he is Adrian Ronan is ten times worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,858 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Hurlingtothebone

If Joe Fitz dropped himself off the panel you'd have to ask why a 20 year old felt he had to do that. Huge loss if he did and why would management let that happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭me89

Why are people trying to start rumours? he was training last week so every chance he just picked up a knock

Killian Doyle is not eligible to play and other injured players are on the extended panel but no sign of Joe Fitzpatrick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭me89

Yep just heard he actually dropped off the weekend, not sure of the reason but disappointing

• Advertisement

There was a county board meeting last night, the main talk was of strategic reviews are going to be undertaken to clearly define roles and responsibilities for all officers and committees and to allow for better succession planning and 2 new roles will be introduced, an assistant treasurer and an assistant secretary, that however wasn't the most interesting thing said! The subject of Killian Doyle playing on Saturday was brought up and it turns out that the board chairman was of the understanding that the new rules brought in at congress were in place and that Doyle could play Saturday and tonight, he informed this to both managers and was only told after that the rule had been moved back to 2025! What an absolute **** show! From what I've heard Mark Dowling is absolutely fuming and had been planning for Doyle to be playing tonight!

Mark Dowling is the u20 manager, he needs to take full responsibility as this is his team. Completely irresponsible by all involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Hurlingtothebone

Thats very disappointing to hear about Joe Fitz they might need him yet. I'm very surprised a player like Joe Fitz third year on the panel would drop himself off the panel. Management might have something to answer for there.

I'm not disagreeing with you on Dowling taking full responsibilities but for a county board official to be giving both managers incorrect information is complete and utterly unforgivable! They have seriously put in jeopardy both teams chances of getting into Leinster finals!

Very disappointing, looked like such a great prospect, hopefully he’ll be back. What an absolute shambles regarding the Killian Doyle situation, all concerned should be ashamed of themselves, its embarrassing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

What was the reaction to this at the meeting? To be fair I thought the rule had changed as well but I'm not going around telling managers they're grand

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭KK36

2 new roles??

After this **** show there should be 2 new roles and a vacancy. Completely unacceptable from a County Chairman to make a mistake like that.

To be honest I was surprised how placid most people were and it didn't seem to bother them, he went into a bit of detail as to how the mistake happened and that it's still on the GAA website that the new rule is in place. I think maybe the fact that he came straight out and said it and didn't let the rumour mill go to town on it maybe went in his favour too, the fact that the general impression is that he's has been doing a decent job since taking over the role probably helped too, I think if the previous incumbent had made the mistake there would have been more up roar! He was also lucky that the meeting was moved to a Tuesday night and not in Nowlan Park so attendance wasn't as high as usual and some of the more vociferous delegates weren't in attendance definitely helped too.

Yeah it makes sense the 2 new roles in fairness, being a treasurer or secretary is practically a full time job, so any extra assistance would be a help.

As I always say to people the chairman has to be re-elected every year. If people want to change it now is the time to start working on getting an alternative to stand against him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭Comerman

It was a complete **** show from the chairman etc. BUT the question is why did Lyng feel the need to play him anyway knowing the importance of tonight's game.

Advertisement