Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

If the GAA have two counterfactual pieces of information about the rule could and should the county board

A not have clarified it in person with a call.

B not appealed it to allow Doyle to play, as the GAA have the wrong info out there.

It's a complete clusterf*** to be honest I have nothing against young Doyle but I didn't understand how he was parachuted into the senior set up after the first two U20 performances. The only one I would have considered was Gearoid Dunne and thankfully he didn't get thrown in against Carlow.

On Joe Fitz I had heard he was hugely disappointed when he was dropped from the seniors initially anyway, as you'd expect I suppose. I think he found it very hard to be back with the U20's. I don't know if that was the reason he dropped himself as that was a long time ago now and maybe something else happened but I would wonder about how we help/or don't help lads who are dropped deal with the disappointment.

I know it had severally impacted some of the lads I know who got a chance with county panels over the years and they didn't make the cut. I understand the management can't be going around holding every players hand that gets a chance with a panel. However the exit process should be something that is really looked at and maybe it's improved but there should be some support put in place for the lads. I know a few lads who thought they were grand and dealing with the disappointment and it was only a year or two later they realised the impact it had on them at that time. I'm sure it's something that's not done well across the board in the GAA except maybe a set up like Dublin. You would want lads to be disappointed to be dropped but you don't want it to impact large portions of their life, it also affects their hurling going forward and you could loose a lad for 2 or 3 years to poor play and some might even walk away from the game altogether.

Hugely heightened levels of anxiety in young men is a world wide phenomenon in our current young generation, mainly due to huge exposure to social media and phones at a young age. Hurlers surely can't be immune from such effects so I'd say more than ever the GAA need to address this. You might say you can't be treating lads with kid gloves but I think it's about how you communicate with these lads. I don't envy being a manager or being part of a set up as there are huge demands on their time but these young men poor their hearts into it and unfortunately for them, I think their a bit more open to being hurt/effected by the rejection process. We can't have everyone in a set up, lads have to get it cut, it's how we deal with lads expectations and how you cut them and does anyone follow up with them etc. That follow up role can be delegated to other members of the setup probably the psychologist and maybe the S&C coach, maybe it's happening now and if it is, great but it's something I've been thinking about for a while and just said I'd throw up here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭randd1

The problem there is that they've tried that and it didn't work. How many clampdowns have we had on the handpass over the past few years?

This isn't something new either, Martin Breheny had a piece about the uptake in throwing before the 2016 All-Ireland.

It's the way the game is gone. Throwing is not only a part of the game, it's an essential part of the game as it helps teams get out of defence and set up attacks.

Virtually every team gets away with 30-50 throws a game. Similar in terms of steps. Add in barging/charging (which has increased with the throw as if you're bottled up you can just throw it away) and pulling/dragging of the spare arm (the only way to prevent a throw), and you're looking at 100 plus fouls a game being ignored. Throw in no-one uses a regulation hurl, then you'd have to say the best way to describe a game of hurling these days is "a highly entertaining festival of cheating".

Hurling has no respect for it's own rules. And I reckon it'll pay the price in the long run for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

I couldn't agree more and there are two major reasons why I believe. In essence the GAA is a football dominated organisation, as long as hurling is toddling away there paddling it's own canoe and bringing in the revenue from the big Munster and All Ireland games the vast majority of counties and county board reps at provincial and national level couldn't care less about the state of the game.

When there is a move to clamp down on the handpass and other issues there is such furore and whinging from the media in particular ex-players having a go at the refs decisions instead of backing the refs they attack on the TV, podcasts, articles, interviews and everyone including the fans barates the refs and they back down and get more lenient. I think the media and in particular ex-players need to be part of the solution not the problem. As long as the ex-players think or at least say in public all is great and throwing the ball around is an amazing spectacle then we will see no improvements I'm afraid. We could do an issue a season and over the space of a few seasons get the game playing to it's rules. You'd see a much different game if it was. One I would prefer to be honest.

Something the NFL did which was really beneficial and interesting which I think helped fans understand the game and referees better was to have a ref as part of the TV commentary team. They could turn to the ex referee for replays and contested decisions to explain why the refs gave that decision. Rather than relying on an ex-player or a commentator making s*** up half the time and not knowing the full rule book.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Hurlingtothebone

That was months ago with Joe Fitz so I doubt very much that was the reason. Its great to hear a lad was disappointed to be dropped that means he wants it. Also I would be off the opinion that lads would better develop on a senior panel particularly lads like Joe Fitz who had already been on the u20 panel for 2 years. From what I heard he had been going very well at training with the U20 so none of this makes sense. Also as Alonso said why was a player that's started on the UCC Fitz team at half back at 19 yrs of age not playing on our U20 team. Again I would have to ask the question of the management team.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Hurlingtothebone

Joe Fitz is the only one who knows the real reason and hopefully it will come out why because Kilkenny will need players like him and others moving forward. Players that can be developed players that want it. I really hope it's not the case of another young player dealing with mental health issues but just completely ignored. You'd have to ask what the team doctors and psychologists do is it nothing??

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

100%. This is a huge issue. A guy is fouled in the process of taking 8 steps with the ball in his hand. The ref gives an 'advantage ' by allowing the steps rule to be broken. No there is no spirt in the world that allows one rule to be broken fir an advantage.. its bizarre

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Registered Users Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭Charlie69

This is definitely the bigger question for me, as I said earlier the board and management not knowing the rules is embarrassing but why did Lyng pick Doyle to play at all?…. I hope he was picked on form in training because other than that it was a bizarre selection, especially knowing the 20s were playing a few days later.

Excellent point in relation to the lack of support if you like for lads being dropped off panels… I know for a fact how players are sometimes very coldly discarded has badly affected a couple of lads over the years.

Lads often dedicate all of their early years to the game and make huge sacrifices, I understand that obviously everyone can’t make it but maybe there should be more thought given to how the bad news is communicated or maybe an explanation on why things haven’t worked out, what the player in question needs to work on etc.. let them know it’s not necessarily the end of the road for them.
    I know lads will say that’s life and you just have to man up , take it on the chin and get on with it but there’s absolutely no doubt that this kind of thing is leading to mental health issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭brookville

Its fairly well known now that lyng didnt know the rule and thought the 60 hour rule was in this year.Brian carroll even said it on a podcast today. From what i have since being reliably told mark dowling is lucky he has dunne and shine tonight. From naming the match day squad with the 3 lads included to playing doyle its shocking that it went that far. As others have said its not fair on the chap he clearly isnt up to it yet. This completely backfired on lyng.Like eddie brennan a few years ago this result is going to follow lyng around. There seems to be a few lads calling the shots and lyng needed to be ruthless at the start of the year but unfortunately alot of this is still codys team. Its harder for some lads to get dropped.

We are very poorly coached team. What we would do for a tom mullally. Paddy mullally had them bouncing before the game. We were stuck in the ground. Huge few days for kk hurling. We desperately need the few injured lads back and a few lads need a kick up the arse.

• Advertisement

I’m not even talking about the rule thing Brookville…. I’m asking why was Doyle picked at all, was it on form???…. was it because it was only Carlow? I know there’s lots of opinions flying around on Lyng’s reasons for picking him .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭me89

Some stand tickets back on sale on Ticketmaster at the minute

Every puckout going on langton and his man has got 1-2. You coukd see after the 1st min they have targetted him. Hughes is shocking slow.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Alonzo Moseley

Good finish to half but patchy stuff, it's going to be difficult, especially with the ref responding to almost every shout from the crowd for a free.

Really suprised neary isnt on screeney. Hughes and langton very slow as we have being saying weeks and weeks. We will be happy to be onky 1 down. Holland in goal doesnt look comfortable at all. Need more from dunne. Why arent we playing more ball into marty he is a threat.

It wasnt u20 or club form anyway. Baffling that he picked doyle wing back when you consider he never played there before. This is only my opinion but he picked him because it was only carlow. We were going to beat cw handy enough. The chap got a rush of blood to the head and it completely backfired on lyng.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭jamesbond2022

A lot of Offalys smaller players getting some very easy frees

• Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

They started the second half well but that Offaly goal has been a sucker punch and swung the match back in their favour

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

The answer to Langton and Hughes getting cleaned seems to have been to swap them. Offaly have spent the evening going down that side.

Carrying a lot of lads in the forwards especially

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭bamayang

that was some wide from a 25 yard free.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Comerman

Why wasn't the penalty foul a black card?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Village87

Management a disgrace.. Awful, 2 years wasted with a talented bunch. Langton and Hughes and Lyng destroyed against a very average Offaly team

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭Butterbeans

Frustrating watch. Plenty of opportunity to win that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

It was considered a plain foul, not a cynical one. I'd agree with that as I didn't think it warranted a black

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Alonzo Moseley

Should have won in the end or at least drawn.

Another good U20 crop pissed away.

Shine won the penalty and should have taken it but his horror miss from the 25 yard free will haunt him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭randd1

I think that only applies to inter-county senior?

Underage has become a wasteland for Kilkenny. Hard to know what to do, but we’re simply not at the races at all anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭jamesbond2022

Carbon copy of the senior game the weekend we simply cannot play against a team that is well coached and have system when things turn we have no plan only lump ball into the forwards and expect the big man to win it

As others mentioned here the lack of pace in the team was very clear I know this is one of offallys better groups and you can see in there movement pace and agility that they have been doing the correct speed and S&c work for a long time

Kk lots of big strong men but not able to move and in the second half they all hurled as individuals

I don’t think Joe Fitz while a good hurler would have made any difference as he is as one paced as a lot of that team

Offally deserved their win. Another year gone by winning nothing u20. The whole county knew that the half back line was too slow and for the 2nd year in a row it got cleaned again. We had enough chances to win it. Drove alot of wides,crossbar and missed penalty. Well done to offally. They got their house in order at underage and this is a very good crop. Ravenhill also a big loss tonight. For us this is very dissapointing. This was a good team but we didnt see the best of them tonight. This is a good offally team but what is going on in kk at underage?We have being shocking at u20 and u17.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Village87

How could they look at Paddy Langton for the hour ? Only for Marty Murphy and Shine (although quiet last 15) Kilkenny would have been hammered against an average Offaly team. Screeney is a class act .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 Senditinlow

Won't need him now. May go back to the light nippy players at underage at least. Offaly had plenty of them all over the pitch it looked effortless for them. Half back line/ midfield destroyed,too many forwards selfish taking pop shotsand getting blocked when others in better position. Really disappointing performance seemed to go route one very early into 2nd half.

Advertisement