Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭CorkFenian

Big hurling fan here, Cahill and his team have to go, its a million miles worse than where Bonnar was, very little to take from the game today. Let someone else rebuild the team. The Cahill gamble just hasn't paid off, he looks out of his depth, shouting and roaring with no game plan, in a era of sports science\motivation\planning etc it was just pathetic to watch I feel sorry for the Tipperary players this summer. They were led to the slaughter by Cahill.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Bobby_Bolivia

As bad as it gets.

Total failure of management in terms of tactics, preparation, S&C, substitutions (Barrett left on after a clear injury leading directly to a goal).

Total failure of the players to yet again show any type of pride, workrate, effort, passion. The amount of players that gave up after the 2nd Cork goal was shameful. Ronan Maher and Noel McGrath the only two who can't be criticised on this front.

Don't want to absolve the players too much as the minimum expectation is you fight for the shirt even if you don't have the ability. I expect it's easier to keep the head when you have some faith in the gameplan, that it can get you back into the game. Clare went 7 points down against this Cork team in the second half and didn't capitulate, just knew they would get back into it if they kept plugging away. Limerick 8 down to this Cork team the same, albeit they coughed up the win in injury time.

I was sat in the stand wondering what absolute nonsense our approach was. Just mind boggling stuff.

I don't know what happened in between the Limerick game and Waterford game last year but something did. Did Cahill start getting too cute for his own good? Billy Nolan running to the half way line unopposed on about 15 occasions as we just sat back and let him decide where he wanted to put it, combined with total flatness from the players. That mixture of tactical stupidity and flatness/poor effort has been repeated in the games v Galway, Clare (league), Limerick and today.

Davy when he came into Waterford claimed he had a monumental job to pick up the players from where Cahill left them, that they were in an awful state. He was laughed at then but don't think anyone is laughing anymore. Something seriously rotten in that camp.

Don't know where we go from here. Hard to justify letting this go on for another year, especially after two historically bad performances up there with the worst the county has ever seen, just weeks apart. But who comes in? Willie Maher I suppose, either way, some truly dark days ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Seadin

Feel sorry for Tipp. They are great hurling people and are one of my favourite teams outside of Cork. Today wasn't yer day but ye will come again and won't be long before yous put one over us in Munster again. I was generally afraid today, I thought Tipp would do us over and knock us out but was surprised with Tipps performance on the day.

The way the previous S&C team were treated, who had been with Cahill from minor , U-20, and Waterford sums up this management team, no class and no plan of any kind in my opinion After working with them for that length of time to cut them loose was very disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,144 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

who now so …..hurlers ain’t tgeee simple as ….can’t go changing manager every 5 minutes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

I have to be honest here in my almost 40 years alive i'd say this is the worst Tipp team in my lifetime.

For a Tipp team to allow Cork to do that to them in Thurles is unprecedented. Where ye go from here i don't know, but i do know that hurling needs a strong Tipperary.

Maybe Liam Sheedy should come back and try and get something going again. For an outsider looking in it seems that Tipperary's famed hurling spirit is broken.

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

Wille Maher, Tommy Dunne, who to get is a good question but Tipp big enough county to do it, Cahill has had 2 years, hes way off the pace (leaving Barrett on yesterday injured was a disaster)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,168 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Well if we're leaving the current backroom team there because " but who do we get to replace them !" then we're at nothing. Bonner was shafted, and shafted he was , for a lot less. A basic ability for any backroom team is to have the squad passionate, strong and raring to go and die with their boots on, none of that on display for a long time now. I actually believe the management team should be gone before the Clare match.

we had the same clamour for Cahill and mikey bevans 2 years ago …big rebuilding job to do …chopping and changing managers ain’t the answer when we don’t have the players …..

I agree a big rebuilding job has to be undertaken but that has to include rebuidin the management and backroom team .

• Advertisement

not sure on management …players def yes …..who would want tipp job knowing there’s a big rebuilding job knowing country board keep changing management team

Well someone has to make a decision because things cannot remain the same. I cannot offhand think of one positive that has emerged from the senior county set up in the last several years and that includes the appalling support the team is getting which I've been highlighting for years. There's no quick or painless solution here and feathers in the county board will also need to be ruffled.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Gisele

I am a Cork fan and was very wary of Tippeary yesterday (as were most Cork fans) travelling to Thurles yesterday.

Tippeary are a great hurling county with a great history and I would say there is a great respect between Cork and tippeary. this respect was shown by the readiness the cork team came and how pumped up they were.

The mood was set for a cracker but unfortunately it was no to be, I have no doubt Tipp will be back and I hope it will be sooner rather than later.

I would go so far as to say an EGM needs to be called to address this whole issue. Not just the results which are appalling anyway but the whole manner of those defeats and the general demeanour going back years now needs to be addressed. Either that or leave things as they are which is another way of just throwing your hat at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭shockframe

Its unlikely to be left as is when you go out in the manner of yesterday.

Cahill seems like one of those politicians in making promises only not to carry them out.

It was all about blooding new lads and not hanging onto the auld lads like Liam Sheedy.

Yes there was about 5 or 6 of those same lads that played yesterday after all the big talk.

His stock has plummeted since 2020/21.

Despite that I'm not sure there's much anyone could do much looking at them yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭Ompala

In better news for Tipp GAA today, Minor Hurlers won Munster tonight vs Clare 2-17 to 0-16

• Registered Users Posts: 2,306 ✭✭✭newhouse87

When a whole team malfunctions so often that's down to management. Cahill and bevans are clueless on the sideline, can not think of 1 scenario where we were behind and they changed tactics to swing momentum in our favour. Its as if they send the lads out with no plan just to hurl and see what happens Its not underage where tactics are few and far between and bolliciking young lads to work hard can get results. They have to go, in 2 years they have not improved any aspect of our play or players. Cahill comes across stubborn and always thinks he is right even though we are getting historical hammerings. S&c seems to have gone backwards too, some of our lads look too bulked up and cant move at all. Playing players out of position, i could go on and on.

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭Ompala

What really summed up yesterday (with all due respect) was bringing John McGrath on. He has not been at intercounty standard for a number of years now and had zero impact. That showed the sideline really were out of their depth for me. Every county loses, but it's the downing tools so early on and showing no fight that gets me. Was the exact same in Bonnars last game in charge 2 years ago vs Cork.

Exactly. But the changes have to be wholesale. this is only the latest in a series of woeful displays. Not saying a change will work wonders but a statement has to be made that these sort of results and performances are not acceptable. We're not privy to what has happened in the dressing room but did anyone even stand up and say that this **** has to cease straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭LetticebCivil

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭shocs07

In fairness, when Tipp had good teams in the last 10 or so years, they couldn't manage back to back All Irelands. My point I guess is they're mentally frail anyway so it's no surprise they downed tools yesterday.

The 'supporters' are a disgrace. Home match against Cork and a really poor turnout. Hard to understand

Plenty of soul searching in the months to come for real Tipp fans. I have to say I always thought the Tipp county board make an absolute hames of the way they got rid of Bonnar. Hope they have the cop on to do the right thing this time and give the likes of Willie Maher a chance

Yep comparing the 2009-2019 team to this tipp team, that makes sense alright.Frail, 3 all irelands in 10 years for that tipp team while one of the greatest team to ever play the game were opponents for some of it, that limerick team of the 90s is what you call frail tbf. Should have won couple all irelands, pity for a great like ciaran carey he had teammates who had no bottle, bunch of chokers that limerick team.

People should look at attendances of leinster, think galway Kilkenny drew 9k, was 44k in thurles sunday, admittedly vastly more cork then tipp but we still had over 10k at it. For comparison, last round of the Qualifiers in 2016 for a place in a qf saw Cork Wexford Limerick and Clare come to thurles for a double header only 16,000 turned up.

So this notion limerick,clare and cork always bring great attendance is simply false. Easy to get big attendances when winning and a tide is rising like in cork as they have been starved of success but something is brewing leeside.

Post edited by newhouse87 on

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭shocs07

I think you missed the point. The Tipp team from 2010 onwards were a seriously talented bunch who I believe underachieved. They should at least have done back to back titles

Would have done if kilkenny were not around, i do agree they probably should have but to say they were mentally fragile is not fair, they stopped the 5 in a row, that's not a fragile team. Calling the supporters a disgrace a bit much too, i have shown to you 4 counties in ko scenario in 2016 couldn't muster more then 16k fans between them. Its not just a tipp problem and i wouldn't call limerick,cork clare or wexford fans a disgrace for it. Anyway time to finish the night shift and head home so i'll leave it at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭thesultan

All this rubbish about a great history between cork and Tipp. The last time it was the late eighties..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Hard to know what happened Tipp. Last year in Cork looked a team who would put it up to Limerick. There is definitely a mentality issue given the collapse to Limerick and Cork in the second half. Both of these teams score highly and if you give them freedom then the scores will go up fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,417 ✭✭✭High bike

If they don't put in a shift for Cahill on Sunday I'd say the writing is on the wall for him,it stinks of what happened him in Waterford 3 yrs ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭thinkabouit

As Tipp supporter, What has happened to our supporters? Where have they gone? Why don’t they go to matches anymore?

It can’t be the cost, the travel, the time etc

The interest definitely seems to be gone a bit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭YabaDabaDooley

Was listening to Shane McGrath last night and he said even when Tipp were going well and winning All Irelands when he was playing that they were often outnumbered in Thurles and he actually said Tipp have a lot of fair weather supporters and just not a well supported county. It was on the RTE GAA pod for anyone who wants to listen. He really didnt have anything positive to say which was surprising. When you have a recently retired player saying that about their own maybe the Tipp hurling support just isnt there.

• Advertisement

I did. I ,silly as it sounds, expected an almighty effort, passion and do or die effort going into the 2 last games knowing if we won we were into a munster final.

Advertisement