Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So UFOs aren't a theory anymore - but we still don't know what they are

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,232 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

Not all explanations are equally as likely.

Sensor malfunctions, pilot mistakes and unknown technology are all far far more likely than aliens or demons or interdimensional travellers (Or whatever else non-human intelligence is supposed to mean.)

Mundane explanations can also be investigated and considered rationally and ruled out. They are falsifiable. The supernatural explanations about aliens etc would be talking about unknown entities with unknown/unknowable motivations and capabilities. They cannot be falsified.

You also must remember the hundreds of instances where it was claimed to be aliens, but then turned out to be nothing unusual.

No one is ruling the idea out, people are just saying that we should treat the idea equal to it's likelihood.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 board silly

If aliens have actually visited Earth, what sort of technology would allow that?

The nearest star to our own is 24 trillion miles away. That's within our own galaxy!

Unless these aliens have figured out how to form an Einstein-Rosen bridge, then I think all this stuff is a smokescreen.

The Cold War never ended guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭emo72

It is funny how we think we've reached a point with physics that we think we know a lot.

This is the point I was making.

If someone points out the challenges of interstellar travel, or even detecting Earth, believers can simply hand wave and claim that aliens/demons/whatever have unknown knowledge and can ignore these problems.

It's basically just an appeal to magic.

Conversely, while it's being argued that aliens/whatever have hyperadvanced technology, they also can't figure out how to beat radar for some reason...

Yeah, I agree. Conversely if a race was only a million years ahead of us there technology would appear as magic to us. I find this subject fascinating, but like everything else, all pure speculation until we can get some proof.

• Advertisement

But if their technology was a million years ahead of us, why would they need to send ships?

It would be far simpler and easier for them to use their hyperadvanced scanner technology from their home planet. This also wouldn't run the risk of interfering with us and revealing themselves since for some reason they can't figure out a cloaking device.

Without any proof, or even a good reason to believe that they might be involved, aliens as an explanation would be very low on the list of possibilities to consider.

That's why they use the term Non Human Intelligence. Why assume aliens? Why assume how anything travels. I hate making assumptions. It may be that something is here, that we really can't detect, and we are truly in the dark. We may be only getting glimpses of something, like the tictac that leads is to question what's going on. So, I'm not making assumptions.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Arbitrary

I think all you folks need to look up at the South Dublin skies at night time. Make of it what you will. There's some interesting aerial phenomenon taking place. Interesting times ahead regarding all this.

https://www.dublinlive.ie/news/astronomer-leads-calls-government-monitor-27241181

Anti-Gravity, point to point interstellar travel. You should watch the documentary on Bob Lazar. His story seems very credible as does his character. It can be fact checked.

I didn't assume anything, I was responding to your comment about beings with technology.

If not aliens, then transdimensional beings. Or demons or fairies or whatever you're trying to get at.

Again, it's just an appeal to magic.

The sightings could also be the result of pilot mistakes or weird equipment failures or a combination of those factors. This explanation is much more likely than some magic being using magic to do something that doesn't make sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

I like your logic. They may be using "Non human" for a very good reason, as yet to be revealed. Some elusive entity that's been here all along, mostly invisible to us due to super advanced speed of travel? Just a theory

Fairies? I'd like to have a polite conversation here. Magic? I think I said it would appear to be magic to us. It's Saturday evening, let's all have a good weekend lads and lasses.

Well they are non human intelligences.

I'm not sure what else that buzzword would entail beyond aliens that people would be alright with.

And yes, if you're arguing that these aliens etc can do anything and everything that is basically an argument from magic.

It's also very odd that you're assuming that it's technology in the first place.

If we follow your logic that anything is possible, then actual magic could be a explanation equally as likely.

I suspect that this objection to terms like fairies and magic are not desired because that doesn't sound as impressive and marketable as a cool new acronym.

Here's what i can tell you about large swathes of people, claiming UAPs and ETs are nothing more than a large tinfoil hat conspiracy theory. They are trying to cover up a pedo ring. Not saying this about you, many innocent people, who rightly so, until we have scientific evidence we should reserve scientific judgement, of course if you can suppress this evidence, then you can call it a conspiracy. They push out their narrative in the media and instead of attacking the point, attack the person and call them crazy. Paedo psychology projection. All paedos are criminally insane.

This alleged case is interesting.

There's no such thing as telepathy, only technology could explain someone speaking remotely to another beings mind. The psychology of someone who would deceive and lie for the purpose of engaging in nefarious activity, is that of a paedophile.

Coincidentally, those who believe in the esoteric, demons, fairies and witches etc. Read above. Science explains absolutely everything in this Universe.

I'm off for pints lads. I'll see yis in the future.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

But aliens haven't been ruled out, at least no more than it potentially being some supernatural being messing with us, or a character from some syfi movie who somehow escaped into our reality. But until there is something more than grainy photos and someone saying that they know someone who knows someone, who's mate said that it was definitely aliens becuse that guys neighbours cat was probed by them, then those theories can all sit on the same self together.

All possibilities are open to being considered, but needs to show something worthwhile for a particular theory to be worth investigating first.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,934 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

• Registered Users Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭newmember2

But if their technology was a million years ahead of us, why would they need to send ships?

(So, it's not happening cos you can't think of any good reason why it might happen?)

It would be far simpler and easier for them to use their hyperadvanced scanner technology from their home planet. This also wouldn't run the risk of interfering with us and revealing themselves since for some reason they can't figure out a cloaking device.

(You know what would be simpler and easier for our extra-terrestrial visitors? Bravo!!)( Who cares about interference? What risk? They have no fear of being seen or need of cloaking, etc etc. Why would they?)

• Registered Users Posts: 35,890 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

The footage of these things is forever awful, you'd see better video footage shot in the 1900s. Why hasn't one of these pilots picked up their iphone

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Are you able to come up with a good reason for why it would happen, yet this advanced space fairing species keeps crashing into mostly the USA, but also manages to do it in a way that never gets spotted, but also does get spotted by the military of that one country?

No, not at all. Where did they crash? Did they recover their spaceship? Aliens are like God, unknowable. Who can judge their wily ways.

Misrepresenting my argument.

I didn't say it couldn't be happening because if these reasons. I'm explaining why the argument that "they have hyper advanced technology, therefore can do anything" isn't very consistent.

If they have hyper advanced technology then it means they have the technology to scan planets from their home world and therefore have no need to travel. If you are arguing that this isn't possible you're simply putting arbitrary limits on them.

Similarly, if you are arguing that they don't care about being seen, then they'd be visible all the time over populated areas. They wouldn't go to so much effort to avoid being seen to the point that they only seem to appear to pilots in uninhabited areas.

The arguments by believers are just really superficial, and rarely seem to dig deep enough to address these contradictions.

They're not contradictions as your arguments are completely lame. Again as an example...

If they have hyper advanced technology then it means they have the technology to scan planets from their home world...

This is your personal version of advanced technology is it?

Again you're misrepresenting my argument. Weird that you have to do that even though it's apparently so "lame."

Believers explain any issues, such as the distances involved with interstellar technology, by saying that the aliens can have any advanced technology needed to overcome the issue. Cause they've had millions of years and access to knowledge we don't etc etc.

What they don't realise is that this can be applied to all problems. If they can figure out faster than light travel using their advanced technology, then they can also figure out how to scan planets from their homeworld without the need to travel.

If you are going to say that they can't figure out one thing, then you're simply putting artificial limits on things to make them fit a prefered explanation.

Unless you can explain why they aren't able to use their advanced technology and knowledge to make an interstellar scanner...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,897 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I can light a fire with a box of matches and some kindling. Your argument seems to be that if I can light a fire that way, I should also be able to light a fire with my eyes.

Nope. Again misrepresentation in place of an actual attempt to address my point.

It's putting artificial limits on one hand while arguing for essentially magic on the other.

You guys seem to be arguing that traveling faster than light is somehow less difficult and less implausible than being able to scan at great distances. But there doesn't seem to be any reason for this distinction at all. And given the argument is that we can't know anything about alien technology, it doesn't seem like it's a distinction that can be made at all.

All just feels like gymnastics to try and fit it into a prefered conclusion.

So why is traveling interstellar distances somehow as simple as lighting a fire with matches, but long range scanning is as fantastical as lighting a fire with your eyes? How do you know one is more difficult than the other for aliens with hyperadvanced technology.

It could be that whilst flying long distances faster than light is easy for them to figure out, but scanning a planet from afar just isn't something that they had ever considered doing, although if they have decided to fly here it would suggest that they do actually have the technology to notice that we might be an interesting place to visit for them so blows that theory out of the water.

What is totally implausible though is that after flying across interstellar space they then can only crash land, and only in one specific English speaking part of the planet.

It is also totally implausible that every time they crash in that one specific English speaking country, and a couple of other countries who are heavily culturally influenced by that other countries TV media... Their repeated crashes are all instantly covered up by that countries military.

If they are flying here to make their presence known, then where are they?

If they are for some reason unable to land their craft, why are all their crash landings covered up by the US military?

If they are in some kind of collusion with the US military to make sure that they crash in places where they can collect the crashed vehicles, then why?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,934 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

They’re advanced enough to have flashing lights like commercial aircraft.

• Advertisement

But not advanced enough to turn them off during stealth missions.

Advertisement