Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭segosego89

I don't understand something about this announcement from Donnelly today. If pharmacies are offering the one shot Johnson & Johnson vaccine to young people next week then why would any young person apply through the online portal and wait to get vaccinated with the Pfizer vaccine?
    Especially considering it takes two shots for the Pfizer vaccine to be fully effective? And a 4 week gap between shots?

Can someone explain why someone in the age group that Donnelly is talking about would choose to register with the online portal and go through with the Pfizer vaccine process rather than just register with their local pharmacy and get the one shot Johnson & Johnson?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

is_that_so wrote: »
    Other people are offering numbers for their claims. Do you have any or a link to support yours?

https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/uk-daily-covid-admissions

• Registered Users Posts: 37,973 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

segosego89 wrote: »
    I don't understand something about this announcement from Donnelly today. If pharmacies are offering the one shot Johnson & Johnson vaccine to young people next week then why would any young person apply through the online portal and wait to get vaccinated with the Pfizer vaccine?
    Especially considering it takes two shots for the Pfizer vaccine to be fully effective? And a 4 week gap between shots?

Can someone explain why someone in the age group that Donnelly is talking about would choose to register with the online portal and go through with the Pfizer vaccine process rather than just register with their local pharmacy and get the one shot Johnson & Johnson?

Yep I'll be doing my upmost to get the J&J esp if thay farce of a covid cert comes in

Demand for the j&j will be through the roof

• Registered Users Posts: 18,124 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

wadacrack wrote: »
    Yea the link has weakened . I have said that. Its about 1% of cases. That great but their is still a link.

I'd be happy to be wrong but I doubt I will be. Generally been right throughout this whole pandemic.

Of course there is a link but case numbers to severe outcomes has been massively decoupled. We have to accept at some point that we can't prevent every illness and we can't prevent every single death, otherwise there is no end point to this.

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Of course there is a link but case numbers to severe outcomes has been massively decoupled. We have to accept at some point that we can't prevent every illness and we can't prevent every single death, otherwise there is no end point to this.

Yes that point comes when you have the population vaccinated not in the middle of a rollout.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,227 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Yep I'll be doing my upmost to get the J&J esp if thay farce of a covid cert comes in

Demand for the j&j will be through the roof

I wonder. What is the point of getting vaccinated when we cannot trust that it actually matters with regards to getting civil liberties back?

It is very clear that for these die-hards even one death is too many and they will keep scare mongering while they have even a single case or death to hang their hat on. So whats the point in getting a vaccine?

I have one by the way, but from the point of view of a guy in his 20's I could understand why he wouldn't bother his hole.

We seem to have moved so far away from the original lockdown to avoid a huge number of deaths or overwhelmed hospitals with doctors deciding who dies.

We literally don't seem to want anybody to ever get sick anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I'm not exactly shocked at the slight uptick there, especially with nearly 30K daily cases.

Yes that point comes when you have the population vaccinated not in the middle of a rollout.

So you are a zero covid advocate.

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭DarkJager21

I wonder. What is the point of getting vaccinated when we cannot trust that it actually matters with regards to getting civil liberties back?

It is very clear that for these die-hards even one death is too many and they will keep scare mongering while they have even a single case or death to hang their hat on. So whats the point in getting a vaccine?

I have one by the way, but from the point of view of a guy in his 20's I could understand why he wouldn't bother his hole.

Agreed. We need to have a grown up discussion about what level of deaths are acceptable (and there has to be a level because saying nobody can ever die is emotive nonsense).

• Advertisement

So you are a zero covid advocate.

Id stop making assumptions

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

rob316 wrote: »
    A jump of 100 to 200 in 1 month is nothing for a country of 66 million. Really not worth mentioning so "no real effect" is accurate.
    That's a jump of 100 to 200 per day. Not actually in hospital.

In another month that's 400 hospitalisations...per day.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

segosego89 wrote: »

That's a good question. You'd really want to have a problem with J&J not to take this option now.

Speaking of which, if you have had the 2 Pfizers, is there anything stopping you mixing and matching yourself now at a pharmacy, or are they cross checking against HSE records? (I'm not considering this, but some might).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭celt262

Maybe to protect someone vulnerable in their family circle, friends work colleagues etc who cannot be vaccinated.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

That's a good question. You'd really want to have a problem with J&J not to take this option now.

Speaking of which, if you have had the 2 Pfizers, is there anything stopping you mixing and matching yourself now at a pharmacy, or are they cross checking against HSE records? (I'm not considering this, but some might).

Why would anyone want a J&J dose when they've already had 2 pfizer doses?!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,322 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

surely if you mix and match 2 different doses your only down as having 1 dose of each and hence not fully vaccinated - so you wont get a vaccination cert

edit - unless you get J&J one dose obviously

There had been reports that mixing could improve immune response. Presumably that could still hold true even if you had 2 Pfizers. (I know someone in the USA that has had 3 Pfizers!)

surely if you mix and match 2 different doses your only down as having 1 dose of each and hence not fully vaccinated - so you wont get a vaccination cert

edit - unless you get J&J one dose obviously

I don't know. That's what I was wondering - are pharmacies matching it up with your HSE data - I presume so, so it's probably moot my asking the question.
    Though if you have 2 Pfizers and manage to get 1 J&J, I can't see that rendering you not fully vaccinated.

There had been reports that mixing could improve immune response. Presumably that could still hold true even if you had 2 Pfizers. (I know someone in the USA that has had 3 Pfizers!)

But sure isn't is already 96% affective against hospitalisation?!

I doubt anyone in Ireland would be looking for a third top-up with J&J for the extra 4% :D

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭cheezums

I believe the ideal mix is double pfizer, double Moderna, twist of Jansen and just a hint of Sputnik to really bring out those flavours.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭agoodpunt

May get a moderna as well to be sure to be sure

• Advertisement

agoodpunt wrote: »
    May get a moderna as well to be sure to be sure

Sure just take 10 vaccines then, FFS

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Economics101

If an AZ followed by a Pfizer (or was it the other way round?) is good enough for Angela Merkel, it should be ok for anyone. :D

But sure isn't is already 96% affective against hospitalisation?!

I doubt anyone in Ireland would be looking for a third top-up with J&J for the extra 4% :D

I hear you. But in terms of non hospitalisation, there are reports that mixing improves your response to infections that, while not resulting in hospital, can be quite ****ty. It might not be too far away when we need boosters in any event, and that booster may not be the same vaccine necessarily.

We have to accept at some point that we can't prevent every illness and we can't prevent every single death, otherwise there is no end point to this.

Seems clear enough to me, we have to stay restricted until every single person is vaccinated.

Just in Ireland, or the entire planet?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,124 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

We won't have the population vaccinated for a long time. Children won't be vaccinated, a portion of adults won't be vaccinated. Therefore we can't ever reach the point of having the population vaccinated - restrictions forever it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

Seems clear enough to me, we have to stay restricted until every single person is vaccinated.

Just in Ireland, or the entire planet?

Well depending if there is another variant or not . Then we may have to stay with restrictions and see how other countries get on

Then we have to wait until the vulnerable get their boosters . Then wait to see if the boosters work

• Registered Users Posts: 6,884 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Well depending if there is another variant or not . Then we may have to stay with restrictions and see how other countries get on

Then we have to wait until the vulnerable get their boosters . Then wait to see if the boosters work

And then the household pets - cats & dogs need vaccinated as we dont know if they spread the virus. And even if they dont, there might be a cat variant in future. So we need to vaccinate them just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

cheezums wrote: »
    I believe the ideal mix is double pfizer, double Moderna, twist of Jansen and just a hint of Sputnik to really bring out those flavours.

Sputnik light for those who feel that’s a bit much

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭DarkJager21

Then when we know the boosters work, we'll need to watch other countries to see what the 3-6 month outcomes of those boosters are. And when we reach the point that we know that information, Tony won't be happy with the figures as they weren't compiled by NPHET so we will start our own series of test events - 10 people allowed in to a McDonalds at once for example, and then we will monitor those people for 2 weeks to be cautious before we allow more than 10 people in to mcdonalds. All the while we will be told "2 more weeks" "hold firm" we are all in this together etc etc etc. Sorry but we've been waiting long enough.

• Advertisement

celt262 wrote: »
    Maybe to protect someone vulnerable in their family circle, friends work colleagues etc who cannot be vaccinated.

Thats all nice and dandy and all, in theory.

In reality, we have a youth who have been pissed on and taken for granted for 15 months now, pissed on for a decade before that, we are currently telling them that they need to stay restricted for no good reason, that they are last in the queue to get their lives back despite never being at risk from the virus in the first place.

And you want them to be all noble and act to protect a generation that has treated them disgracefully to this point?

Rightly or wrongly my point still stands, it wouldn't surprise me to find that at this point they have disengaged and hold the view that the rest of us can **** right off.

Advertisement