Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,227 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I'd have to wonder what some would consider strict enough.

Why bother even wondering? To a man the people arguing this point are not affected by any of the restrictions.

Its all academic to them, they haven't lost their jobs or their social lives or their hopes for the future, they are bystanders who idly picked a side for a thread on the internet, its all just words on a page to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Lyle

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Very low. Average around 6 or 7 per day for the last month with similar number of discharges.

https://covid19ireland-geohive.hub.arcgis.com/pages/hospitals-icu--testing

That's not too bad at all. So long as it doesn't get any worse in the UK than the doubling they're seeing now versus early May, we should hopefully be alright to steer out of this relatively unscathed.

Its such a shame what successive governments have done to our health system because it just fosters some amount of worry in a scenario like this. I've got friends and a family member in the HSE in various places around the country and they're all totally banjaxxed. Really, really don't want them to have to go through another surge of any major size. All eyes on the UK for the next fortnight but some hope we'll avoid it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,623 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

seamus wrote: »
    The graph he posted is people going to hospital.

shhhhh :D my bad :D

id like to take this moment to apologise to absolutely ...................Everybody

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Number of cases doesn't matter anymore
    All that matter is people going to hospital,

Reporting cases is like reporting how many people have a sniffle ,

8 members of my family where confirmed cases at Christmas and there wasn't as much as a single cough among them ,That was ranging form from 11 months to 74 year old
    The real question is what will NPHET advise off higher cases but very few hospitalisations. We can't be perpetually be waiting two weeks to see who ends up in hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭fungie

How long typically does it take to get results from HSE PCR test. It's been over a day now, just wondering, will I get it soon?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,027 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Why bother even wondering? To a man the people arguing this point are not affected by any of the restrictions.

Its all academic to them, they haven't lost their jobs or their social lives or their hopes for the future, they are bystanders who idly picked a side for a thread on the internet, its all just words on a page to them.
    The restrictions aren't preventing me from doing anything that a desire to avoid the virus isn't.
    I would have made more signing on the PUP instead of continuing to work, but didn't - my own stubbornness and lack of foresight though.

For the time being, I've moved my social life from meeting friends in restaurants and pubs to meeting them outside. Will be a bit crap when the weather turns, for sure, but it seems to be pretty decent this summer.

It'll be words on a page to me when the people I care about are all safely vaccinated.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭jakiah

is_that_so wrote: »
    The real question is what will NPHET advise off higher cases but very few hospitalisations. We can't be perpetually be waiting two weeks to see who ends up in hospital.
    I cannot see any scenario where they advise action against anything other than the worst case scenario. There will always be a 'possible' apocalyptic scenario to model.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭muddypuppy

I noticed that the ECDC test data is finally getting updated again for ireland. It's the weekly number of tests/weekly positivity rate.
    The data is here https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/publications-data/covid-19-testing

After a bit of excel (for al 2021):
    ZenaLOG.png

(The last time we got this data was May 13, so Week 19)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,124 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

muddypuppy wrote: »
    I noticed that the ECDC test data is finally getting updated again for ireland. It's the weekly number of tests/weekly positivity rate.
    The data is here https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/publications-data/covid-19-testing

After a bit of excel (for al 2021):
    ZenaLOG.png

(The last time we got this data was May 13, so Week 19)

Positivity rate steady if not somewhat down since then.

shhhhh :D my bad :D

id like to take this moment to apologise to absolutely ...................Everybody

Weren't you providing us early beer counts this time last summer? My friend, you apologise to nobody

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭muddypuppy

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Positivity rate steady is not somewhat down since then.

zooming in on the last few weeks so it's easier to see changes (but yeah it's steady)

7VhPAwE.png

This time last year was able to go for an indoor meal and pints for my brother's birthday. If you told me then that in a year's time, with 4.2 million vaccines administered, that we would not be able to do the same thing, I'd have said you were a crazy conspiracy theorist. Yet here we are.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,995 ✭✭✭✭rob316

If we are indeed in a 4th wave and the situation is worse than other parts of Europe, that is down to NPHET and there absolute refusal to allow rapid anti gen testing.

fungie wrote: »
    How long typically does it take to get results from HSE PCR test. It's been over a day now, just wondering, will I get it soon?

I got a few test and they were all about day and half for results.

Hospital numbers in the UK have doubled in a month.

It's considerably more suppressed than previously, but to say "no real effect" is not correct.

A jump of 100 to 200 in 1 month is nothing for a country of 66 million. Really not worth mentioning so "no real effect" is accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TefalBrain

It's considerably more suppressed than previously, but to say "no real effect" is not correct.

It is correct

Delta is having no real effect on hospital numbers.

Younger people catching it and it's no worse than a cold.

Time to move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

What's going on with this, on the one hand hearing of "Emerging evidence from the UK shows Delta roughly doubled the risk of hospitalisation", and the other, that hospitalisations have not increased significantly?

The weekend is here! And I'm looking forward to seeing lots of articles from our media about a "Slight Increase" in hospital cases while failing to mention that there are very few if any people discharged over the weekend.

TefalBrain wrote: »
    It is correct

Time to move on.

watch your phrasing Tefal or you'll have the "so were back to it's less than Flu" brigade clambering to label you a crank. :D

What's going on with this, on the one hand hearing of "Emerging evidence from the UK shows Delta roughly doubled the risk of hospitalisation", and the other, that hospitalisations have not increased significantly?

The devil is in the detail of phrasing on this I think. There has been a doubling of daily admission numbers to hospital in the UK between early May and this week, that's clearly logged in the data posted a few pages back so there's no disputing the fact that hospitalisations have increased.

But that's not really the same thing as the risk of hospitalisation doubling on an individual level. Cases have exploded exponentially in the UK but hospitalisations, to date, have not. Picture will get clearer as we move through July.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

rob316 wrote: »
    A jump of 100 to 200 in 1 month is nothing for a country of 66 million. Really not worth mentioning so "no real effect" is accurate.

Yes exactly - UK currently have same daily cases rate as February but only 10% of the hospital admissions.

Not surprising since most of the vulnerable are fully vaccinated.

COVID is essentially over in terms of restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

It is correct

Time to move on.

Indoor dining since April, crowds at games all over the place, partying everywhere and anywhere whilst watching the euros.

And R Number down!!!

https://news.sky.com/story/r-number-in-england-falls-slightly-to-1-1-to-1-3-despite-rise-in-case-numbers-12347078

Something isnt adding up and isnt going to add up, the worst things is we know NPHET and Mr Ego himself wont back down no matter what evidence is put in front of him (didnt even have the manners or professionalism to read the last report done on Antigen testing by medical professionals he works with), whilst Micheal the Eunuch Martin wont dare question and Leo will say nothing happy for MM to burn the place to the ground and him to sweep in and solve everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

It is correct

Time to move on.

Simply not true. Their rising quickly now. The link is not broken as a few have mentioned.

Its probably come hit home now in a few weeks that their are still too many people vulnerable.

I wish this was over, buts its not

rob316 wrote: »

Especially when everything is open, with social distancing in indoor hospitality not really followed or policed any more and mask wearing noticeably falling.

wadacrack wrote: »
    Simply not true. Their rising quickly now. The link is not broken as a few have mentioned.

Its probably come hit home now in a few weeks that their are still too many people vulnerable.

Case numbers are up nearly 20 fold in the UK since mid-May. Hospitalisations are doubled so just a 10% increase of case numbers. Deaths are flat since mid-May. Nobody said the link is "broken" but it has very much decoupled to a massive extent.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,227 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

If this all turns out to be untrue, will you admit that you were wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

Simply not true - same level of February cases but 10% of the hospital admissions.

It is broken.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Other people are offering numbers for their claims. Do you have any or a link to support yours?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Yea the link has weakened . I have said that. Its about 1% of cases. That great but their is still a link.

I'd be happy to be wrong but I doubt I will be. Generally been right throughout this whole pandemic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Case numbers are now 20x what they were a month ago?

Advertisement