Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

It's like the last stand at the minute....

We can all see what is happening in stadiums around Europe, we all know we are outliers for all the wrong reasons...indoor dining every where bar here, we just had Tony declare that indoor dining should be closed to Irish people beyond Sept (which means March 2022 at the earliest) with callous disregard for every one affected by that...the only people left supporting this are to far gone to reason with...these hyperbolic headlines are a last ditch attempt to keep onto the rest of us.

I knew they would struggle to maintain the hysteria during the summer months, I didn't think they would get this desperate this early!!!

Its like double down every time something threatens the narrative.

Look, even I cannot let on to predict that this is over and I have been very critical of the whole effort and the incredible overreaction. Something always can happen. But by now our media campaigns reminds me of what I learned about the 'Endsieg' narrative. Like when you could hear the artillery in the outskirts of Berlin they were still doing the right thing and were going to prevail. Just have to bring the 60 year olds and 15 year olds to the front. The comeback is on, any moment now...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Snooker Loopy

JRant wrote: »
    Buzzwords at this stage. We need more than "hopeful and confident", much more. The current plan of keeping restrictions 'just in case' is absolutely mental stuff and based of projections that are just not believable.

The "open it up" brigade have always demanded false hope, not truth. So complaining about these words being used is pure hypocrisy. You didn't want the truth because you couldn't handle the truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭opinionated3

The "open it up" brigade have always demanded false hope, not truth. So complaining about these words being used is pure hypocrisy. You didn't want the truth because you couldn't handle the truth.

What's the truth right now?? Apart from speculation?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭Northernlily

Where did you see that?

It's being released into the news cycle as we speak.

Change of approach and throwing the kitchen sink at vaccinations to race the Delta varient is my take on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Also J&J have confirmed that it is effective against Delta.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,803 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

is_that_so wrote: »
    Think the poster is jumping the gun, they will be doing younger groups but the specifics are not yet clear.

It’s from next Monday according to the journal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭zackory

The truth is right across the border. Not a peep of closing indoor up there. When the UK nations start closing indoor hospitality i will accept that truth.

We don't have the truth, we have all sorts of scenarios produced bt nphet, which have been known to be very wrong in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TefalBrain

Okay Colonel Jessup.

So we have now officially entered month 10 of the country either being in severe lockdown or severely restricted. And now we are saying that the delta variant is going to hit us hard...

Surely this is proof that sitting in lockdown for months and months is a failed strategy!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

So we have now officially entered month 10 of the country either being in severe lockdown or severely restricted. And now we are saying that the delta variant is going to hit us hard...

Surely this is proof that sitting in lockdown for months and months is a failed strategy!

And we seem to be preparing for a "hurricane" that no other nation seems to be preparing for....you know, the other nations of the world that are far less restricted than we are.

Somebody is getting it very wrong, us or the rest of the world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

JRant wrote: »
    The UK are also months ahead of us in terms of easing restrictions. Tracking their numbers is definitely worthwhile but needs to be taken with a massive side order of salt.
    The UK are really only about 6 weeks ahead. I know it feels like a lot more.

There are many reasons to not assume their numbers will exactly translate here, but there are many reasons not to rely on hope that that they won't.

The EU as a whole, is showing the first signs of a new uptick in cases, the UK is solidly climbing a new large wave. Our 5- and 7-day incidence are showing signs of our own uptick.

At this point only an idiot would think that there is no risk at all and that all is rosey in the garden for the coming weeks. We are openly exposed to the UK, who value corporate interests over public health. This has burned us continuously through this pandemic, so we unfortunately must base our response on how badly theirs is going. The case numbers in Northern Ireland are deteriorating rapidly. As sure as night follows day, this will impact us.

A new wave is probably likely, but the doom and gloom about a hurricane and never-before-seen devastation is overplaying it. With no indoor hospitality open, any wave will be very muted, and will remain so if we open with some form of cert in place. If Delta is twice as infectious as the original strain, then 600-700 cases might be the daily norm for the next wave, but the vaccination programme should mean we see little change in hospitalisations.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,301 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

• Registered Users Posts: 16,032 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

TefalBrain wrote: »
    Okay Colonel Jessup.

Whereas you're more Father Jessup

75rcDubbSUZw.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

Whereas you're more Father Jessup

75rcDubbSUZw.gif

Jaysus i cant unsee that now.

Bishop Brennan and the new Czar of Ireland Tony H, theyre definitely related, in everything the more ye think about the role Bishop Brennan played (dont dare question me)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Let's hope that the predictions about the impact of the delta variant are as wildly exaggerated as the claims about the severity of our lockdowns.

Ficheall wrote: »
    Let's hope that the predictions about the impact of the delta variant are as wildly exaggerated as the claims about the severity of our lockdowns.

You don't think our lockdowns were severe? Between October 2020 and mid April 2021, inter county travel was only allowed for 8 days in that period of half a year.

You don't think our lockdowns were severe? Between October 2020 and mid April 2021, inter county travel was only allowed for 8 days in that period of half a year.
    Even had that been strictly enforced, no, not really.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,550 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

snotboogie wrote:
    In the UK close to 100% of the extreme vulnerable are fully vaccinated. As good as vaccines are, you are probably still worse off as an immune compromised fully vaccinated 80 year old than you are as a non vaccinated 30 year old or a partially vaccinated healthy 50 year old. 50 deaths with no other details in a country the size of the UK is way too small of a size to conclude the vaccinated are at a serious risk of death from the Delta varient.

Yes you said it there. 50 deaths with no other details is a concern.
    Until we have much more data we have have to be very careful.
    We all want things back to normal, well a very large majority do, but we have to be careful.
    If it means we don't return to near normal for another six months or even a year I'm happy to go along with that to ensure my family and I live long healthy lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Can you show us a country that has closed down more businesses than we have...because I can't find one, or a country that has a higher unemployment rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭fun loving criminal

Yet lockdown seems to be our only answer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭zackory

seamus wrote: »
    At this point only an idiot would think that there is no risk at all and that all is rosey in the garden for the coming weeks.

Nobody is denying there is a risk, but a lot of people are incapable of learning to quantify this risk.

How about this for an idea. Open indoor hospitality. Educate people on the risk of unvaccinated people using these.

Introduce a voluntary code of asking unvaccinated to continue eating and drinking outside.

It's called being mature, grown up and adult about it.

I guarantee the majority will comply and the risk will mitigate substantially.

It's time now for Holohan and the other ego driven nutters to step back.

I find it incredible that anyone would think that. THere was checkpoints all over the roads. All data shows that we were locked down longer than anywhere else.

I'd have to wonder what some would consider strict enough.

Can you show us a country that has closed down more businesses than we have...because I can't find one, or a country that has a higher unemployment rate.
    No, I don't have those lists for any country.
    And I'm sure the unemployment rate will start to drop when people aren't getting the PUP after the summer.

Budget 2022 will be fun, of course..

And I'm sure the unemployment rate will start to drop when people aren't getting the PUP after the summer.

It's still likely to be well into the teens going into 2022.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭timmyntc

How can unemployment drop if we refuse to allow people to open their businesses?
    We are the outlier here in Europe by a wide margin, and look set to stay that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭techdiver

What is the thoughts on mixing AZ and J&J. My mother is still waiting on her second AZ dose bit could easily get a J&J shot at her pharmacy instead. From my reading their is no concern about mixing of vaccines, but I'm assuming the since both vaccines are quite similar that a J&J dose could substitute as a second AZ dose?

We shouldn't be in a position of hoping that a set of numbers that could effectively be dictating our lives for the next six months are right. If it were a Budget it would be a vote of no-confidence.

THere was checkpoints all over the roads.
    Aye, they'd set up outside our house for an hour every once in a while - never saw anyone being turned around, mind you. Can't recall anyone on boards saying that been turned around either, afaicr? - seems like the type of thing that would surely have been mentioned.

Aye, they'd set up outside our house for an hour every once in a while - never saw anyone being turned around, mind you. Can't recall anyone on boards saying that been turned around either, afaicr? - seems like the type of thing that would surely have been mentioned.

Back in April, over 20000 people had been fined.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭JP100

The best thing they could do is just announce the income tax increases now instead of later. Think that would focus some of the minds of the eejits who blithely think that society and the economy can continue to sustain such suffocating restrictions indefinitely.

Advertisement