Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The social housing list in Dublin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

Hamachi wrote: »
    Anybody reading this thread sees you for what you are.

Yes, they do indeed and I’m very glad that it’s not what you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

The answer is - those jobs got done anyway. Anyone older than 30 will probably remember that.

By introducing a foreign workforce the politicians not only jeopardise the simple jobs that get the Irish youth onto the career ladder, but also make the housing crisis worse preventing the Irish youth from leaving home.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Hamachi

Yes, they do indeed and I’m very glad that it’s not what you are.

Indeed. A hard-working man with a wife and two young kids, who contributes to his community and loves this country.

Somebody who believes that those who contribute to the system should have access to the supports they require, whilst ensuring that that those same supports are not taken advantage of by those who never contributed.

I’m happy to be the antithesis of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭clytemnestra

It's one of the most outrageous stunts pulled on low income Irish workers - undercut them with a neverending supply of cheaper workers from low-income low-cost countries, who don't mind living in rough conditions if they can buy a house in their home country within five years of hard saving. Make them compete for housing and healthcare and education. Then call them racists when they object.

I'm a good bit older than 30 and I remember when all of those jobs were done by Irish people. Miraculous, wasn't it?

Now we see the real economic illiteracy.

https://www.independent.ie/business/irish/ireland-is-close-to-full-employment-new-cso-figures-show-38183662.html

We were close to full employment just before the pandemic.

Averages wages for full time employees were €49k. Typical full time career earned ~€30k.

And yeah, obviously the housing market is banjaxed but I’d rather we didn’t also banjax the economy trying to fix it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,386 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

What if someone is here and paying taxes for years but loses their job through no fault of their own?

Or what about carers being paid terrible money to wipe people's arses because no Irish person will take the job?

Or what about British people who have full entitlement to reside in Ireland and effectively be treated the same as Irish people and do the same for Irish in Britain?

Calm down I'm talking about the likes of the Roma who are nothing but a drain on resources everywhere they go.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,400 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

biko wrote: »
    The answer is - those jobs got done anyway. Anyone older than 30 will probably remember that.

By introducing a foreign workforce, the politicians jeopardise the simple jobs that get the Irish youth onto the career ladder and make the housing crisis worse preventing the Irish youth from leaving home.

Care needs are higher people expect more and we have an aging population, as I said lots of illogical posters I note poster saying someone will do it if it pays enough but they are not giving up their job to do it?. As for paying more, would the poster's parents be happy to pay the cares 20 euro out of their pension, or do posters expect the state to pay the 20 euro an hour, i.e more taxes?

Calm down I'm talking about the likes of the Roma who are nothing but a drain on resources everywhere they go.

Didn't answer me I notice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭EddieN75

bubblypop wrote: »

Despite constantly staying up to date with this thread admittedly I'm not sure what your position is.

We see the stats. The over representation of migrants. We know we are in a never ending house crisis now on overload due to Covid.

What is your position? What do you think of the statistics? Thanks

mariaalice wrote: »
    Care needs are higher people expect more and we have an aging population, as I said lots of illogical posters I note poster saying someone will do it if it pays enough but they are not giving up their job to do it?. As for paying more, would the poster's parents be happy to pay the cares 20 euro out of their pension, or do posters expect the state to pay the 20 euro an hour, i.e more taxes?

What point are you trying to make? Can you state it coherently please.

Am I the poster you’re referring to? If yes, I’m happy to answer your questions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,167 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

DerekC16 wrote: »
    There is a reason for the stagnation of wages. Pay people a fare rate and they'll do any job.

How about we cut costs instead of raising wages?
    We've tried raising wages, but costs adjust by raising, so people are no better off.

The answer I gave the other poster is the same for you.

Why are foreign born people on the housing list in the first place?

If they can't make a go of it in this country and support themselves for whatever reason then they need to go home.

This is What you said.
    So now, I'm foreign born, I'm irish, I work and pay taxes, if I get sick and cannot work, where do you think I should go?

This is What you said.
    So now, I'm foreign born, I'm irish, I work and pay taxes, if I get sick and cannot work, where do you think I should go?

How about you open your eyes and read post 277

You might be able to work out then that its people who have never contributed anything I was talking about

• Registered Users Posts: 12,400 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

12 years
    Housing Statistics
    Dublin City Council housed 517 households last year, most of whom had been waiting for a home since the mid-2000s, according to the documents. The average waiting time was more than 12 years and one of the households had been on the list since 1996.8 Jul 2020

The way some posters go on you would think social housing is handed out like smarties.

How about you open your eyes and read post 277

Can't answer it then?

Can't answer it then?

If you bother to include the second part of the post you would have your answer.

Have you a problem reading English?

If you bother to include the second part of the post you would have your answer.

Have you a problem reading English?

Well you edited your post, as you know.
    I don't have a problem reading English, do you think I should have because I wasn't born in Ireland?
    You stated foreign born people shouldn't be on a housing list and should 'go home'
    Now, you're trying to change that, and backtrack. Too late.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

12 years
    Housing Statistics
    Dublin City Council housed 517 households last year, most of whom had been waiting for a home since the mid-2000s, according to the documents. The average waiting time was more than 12 years and one of the households had been on the list

In the context of the above, the plan to assign own door accommodation to asylum seekers after 4 months is treasonous.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

It's one of the most outrageous stunts pulled on low income Irish workers - undercut them with a neverending supply of cheaper workers from low-income low-cost countries, who don't mind living in rough conditions if they can buy a house in their home country within five years of hard saving. Make them compete for housing and healthcare and education. Then call them racists when they object.

I'm a good bit older than 30 and I remember when all of those jobs were done by Irish people. Miraculous, wasn't it?

I always find it remarkable when I go to Lidl or Aldi that almost all the retail staff are East European.

I don't think it's ssi much a case that 'they tuk our jobs' but that many Irish have it too cozy with our social welfare system to do them.

Why bother working when you can effectively live on the scratch.

• Advertisement

Well you edited your post, as you know.
    I don't have a problem reading English, do you think I should have because I wasn't born in Ireland?
    You stated foreign born people shouldn't be on a housing list and should 'go home'
    Now, you're trying to change that, and backtrack. Too late.

I've never backtracked on a single thing i've said on this site because I couldn't care less what anyone thinks of my opinions.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,782 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

I always find it remarkable when I go to Lidl or Aldi that almost all the retail staff are East European.

I don't think it's ssi much a case that 'they tuk our jobs' but that many Irish have it too cozy with our social welfare system to do them.

I'd say all the Irish staff in Dunnes, Tesco, Centra etc debunks your argument.

I've never backtracked on a single thing i've said on this site because I couldn't care less what anyone thinks of my opinions.

Well then stand up for your beliefs and tell me where I should go to if I get too sick to look after myself?

Well then stand up for your beliefs and tell me where I should go to if I get too sick to look after myself?

Hospital

I always find it remarkable that posters believe it be acceptable to make lazy and inaccurate generalizations about Irish people, but immediately spring to offense when anything mildly critical of non-Irish people is posted.

For the record, there is a significant number of Irish staff in both my local Aldi and Lidl. This is in West Dublin, the most multicultural constituency in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Jizique

Fann Linn wrote: »
    I'd say all the Irish staff in Dunnes, Tesco, Centra etc debunks your argument.

Tesco? Seems to be full of Indians/Asians - presumably few of them are here fully legally, not being in the EU.
    There are a few Irish in my local Aldi and Lidl; Pay is decent enough, not just minimum wage but a high minimum wage is really not compatible with our elevated welfare levels, esp housing and medical

Jizique wrote: »
    Tesco? Seems to be full of Indians/Asians - presumably few of them are here fully legally, not being in the EU.
    There are a few Irish in my local Aldi and Lidl; Pay is decent enough, not just minimum wage but a high minimum wage is really not compatible with our elevated welfare levels, esp housing and medical

I'd be quite surprised if a big company like Tesco knowingly employs any illegal immigrants. How would they register them for PAYE? Revenue wouldn't accept a fake PPSN and I doubt managers have the authority to be handing out cash.

Doesn't prove who works in whose local supermarket but the socio-economic group breakdown at the last census is interesting. I note that EU13 (that is the countries joining since and including 2004) and non-EU are disproportionately underrepresented in the higher groups and overrepresented in the lower groups. Obviously the vast majority in all groups are Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/commercial-property/aberdeen-standard-fund-pays-20m-for-dublin-apartment-portfolio-1.4500219?mode=amp

A really nice new apartment development in Smithfield is to be rented out in its entirety to DCC for social housing. DCC will pay a minimum of €20 million (probably a good bit higher) for a 25 year lease for the 39 apartments.
    When I saw these I thought they'd be targeting mid income earners, didn't expect them to become council homes.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭JimmyCorkhill

IngazZagni wrote: »
    https://www.irishtimes.com/business/commercial-property/aberdeen-standard-fund-pays-20m-for-dublin-apartment-portfolio-1.4500219?mode=amp

A really nice new apartment development in Smithfield is to be rented out in its entirety to DCC for social housing. DCC will pay a minimum of €20 million (probably a good bit higher) for a 25 year lease for the 39 apartments.
    When I saw these I thought they'd be targeting mid income earners, didn't expect them to become council homes.

Myself & the other half who work full time would struggle to get a mortgage for one of these apartments & even if we did get a mortgage we would be paying it off for the next 30+ years.

Why the hell should people on the welfare, the vast majority (pre-Covid) whom have no interest in working, get an apartment worth over 500k?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

12 years
    Housing Statistics
    Dublin City Council housed 517 households last year, most of whom had been waiting for a home since the mid-2000s, according to the documents. The average waiting time was more than 12 years and one of the households had been on the list since 1996.8 Jul 2020

The way some posters go on you would think social housing is handed out like smarties.

It is when you run into the local garda station with a few angles in tow...

Advertisement