Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The social housing list in Dublin

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭EddieN75

Myself & the other half who work full time would struggle to get a mortgage for one of these apartments & even if we did get a mortgage we would be paying it off for the next 30+ years.

Why the hell should people on the welfare, the vast majority (pre-Covid) whom have no interest in working, get an apartment worth over 500k?

It's all fairly sickening what's happening. Both the fact that these investment funds are buying up bulk amounts of property and that councils are then renting them and handing them over .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

mariaalice wrote: »
    12 years
    Housing Statistics
    Dublin City Council housed 517 households last year, most of whom had been waiting for a home since the mid-2000s, according to the documents. The average waiting time was more than 12 years and one of the households had been on the list since 1996.8 Jul 2020

The way some posters go on you would think social housing is handed out like smarties.

You’d want to be a very committed welfare tourist to hang around for 12 years just to get your free gaff :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭clytemnestra

Idbatterim wrote: »
    It is when you run into the local garda station with a few angles in tow...

Or if you get St Kitty onto your case.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/tenants-face-jail-after-refusing-to-leave-rented-homes-1.4554424?mode=amp

16 years in Ireland...limited English...no work because of the pandemic. Can't wait for them to be paying for my pension.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭Jizique

I'd be quite surprised if a big company like Tesco knowingly employs any illegal immigrants. How would they register them for PAYE? Revenue wouldn't accept a fake PPSN and I doubt managers have the authority to be handing out cash.

I never said they were illegal - I have no idea how Tesco organizes their workforce but “language students” and/or outsourced to a temp placement agency using staff registered in Bulgaria to avoid social charges (like the meat plants) perhaps

• Registered Users Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭Jizique

Myself & the other half who work full time would struggle to get a mortgage for one of these apartments & even if we did get a mortgage we would be paying it off for the next 30+ years.

Why the hell should people on the welfare, the vast majority (pre-Covid) whom have no interest in working, get an apartment worth over 500k?

Sickening: they will ensure that Smithfield will remain an “up and coming area” for the next 20 years, just as it has been for the past 20

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭ek motor

Because they are victims. Victims of racism , discrimination, of evil white people in general. Or so western media would have you believe.

White people (particularly men ) are guilty and must pay for them to move here. If you don't like it, you are a racist. Fair enough ?

ek motor wrote: »
    Because they are victims. Victims of racism , discrimination, of evil white people in general. Or so western media would have you believe.

White people (particularly men ) are guilty and must pay for them to move here. If you don't like it, you are a racist. Fair enough ?

The Irish times is the number 1 pusher of this narrative.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Ronaldinho

Or if you get St Kitty onto your case.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/tenants-face-jail-after-refusing-to-leave-rented-homes-1.4554424?mode=amp

16 years in Ireland...limited English...no work because of the pandemic. Can't wait for them to be paying for my pension.

Did you even read the article?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,312 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

People ranted and raved about the "Homeless" situation for years with all the left parties.

But late in the day to complain now.

People were sold a lie and they swallowed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

i think if someone is living in dublin and their income is under a certain amount or they are on welfare the council has to accept them on the housing list.
    i think anyone in the eu has the right to travel to any other eu country.most hotels and cafes,gyms are closed .
    the people who worked there simply cannot go to work.
    theres no such thing as a free gaff .
    council tenants pay rents based on their income which includes the income of anyone who lives there who is over the aqe of 18.
    in order to apply for hap you need to be on the housing list

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,395 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

riclad wrote: »
    in order to apply for hap you need to be on the housing list

So why are there no Romanians (Roma) on the council's lists (see beginning of thread)? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,965 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

So why are there no Romanians (Roma) on the council's lists (see beginning of thread)? :confused:

If it makes you feel any better they are a problem all over Europe

• Registered Users Posts: 8,395 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

If it makes you feel any better they are a problem all over Europe

As long as they don’t affect me, I have no problem with anyone. But something’s wrong with the stats. Why are they reporting them incorrectly?

Romanians or Roma?
    You do know there is a difference right?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

People ranted and raved about the "Homeless" situation for years with all the left parties.

But late in the day to complain now.

People were sold a lie and they swallowed it.

I think rte etc and thus the moron politicians, actually think it's the homeless situation people were livid about, it isn't and wasnt. It's the scandalous housing situation facing hundreds of thousands of hard working people, that is the issue...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

mariaalice wrote: »
    12 years
    Housing Statistics
    Dublin City Council housed 517 households last year, most of whom had been waiting for a home since the mid-2000s, according to the documents. The average waiting time was more than 12 years and one of the households had been on the list since 1996.8 Jul 2020

The way some posters go on you would think social housing is handed out like smarties.

Go on at 18, house by 30 is a great deal.

Many many living at home to save for a house as they can't afford rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Or live in house shares renting a tiny box room...but it would be barbaric to ask council tenants to do that

Or live in house shares renting a tiny box room...but it would be barbaric to ask council tenants to do that

Very vapid point, how on God's name, are single people housed in luxury apartments, on rip off deals for the taxpayer... the taxpayer living in a box room and paying for his neighbours next door luxury apartment, depraved!

Go on at 18, house by 30 is a great deal.

Many many living at home to save for a house as they can't afford rent.

Just sign up as soon as you can, a mate was telling me that in London, they used to rent out their social house and pocket the rent...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Very vapid point, how on God's name, are single people housed in luxury apartments, on rip off deals for the taxpayer... the taxpayer living in a box room and paying for his neighbours next door luxury apartment, depraved!

I shared a bedsit with a friend of mine from school in Rathmines right after we left school.
    We were there about 2 years and I moved abroad to get a job.
    He stayed and never worked a day in his life.
    About 15 years later, he was given 1 bed apartment in Rathmines.
    I was in it last year and its fantastic. It must be worth €500k at this point.
    Nice to see my tax money has been well spent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

The corner building over the bridge that burned down and was derelict for years is now full of 1-beds for €2k / month.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭oceanman

JimmyVik wrote: »
    I shared a bedsit with a friend of mine from school in Rathmines right after we left school.
    but he was not giving it...he was giving the use of it to live in, he dose not own the property and probably never will.

oceanman wrote: »
    but he was not giving it...he was giving the use of it to live in, he dose not own the property and probably never will.

What are the chances he gets evicted?

Alot more than a private renter

• Registered Users Posts: 13,280 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

oceanman wrote: »

True, but non-workers should not be given social housing so close to major employment centres.

If he has never worked, his social housing could be in Longford, much cheaper for the taxpayer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭Mimon

JimmyVik wrote: »

Really is an opportunity for a party to step up and stand for the working people/taxpayers. People working need to go to the top of the list and when they are all accommodated the wasters can be looked after.

Fine Gael **** the load when it looked like they might do this but went down the line of least resistance of not doing anything controversial so as appeal to a broader range of people. Severe lack of politicians with any cahones here.

Mimon wrote: »
    Really is an opportunity for a party to step up and stand for the working people/taxpayers. People working need to go to the top of the list and when they are all accommodated the wasters can be looked after.

Fine Gael **** the load when it looked like they might do this but went down the line of least resistance of not doing anything controversial so as appeal to a broader range of people. Severe lack of politicians with any cahones here.

Absolutely, they thought this was the path of least resistance, they are terrified of rte and the leftist media.... open door for a party to form and start with welfare reform. Abolish lpt or start charging it at a proper rate ...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,312 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

What are the chances he gets evicted?

Alot more than a private renter

The chances of him getting evicted are a lot less than a private renter.

The chances of him getting evicted are a lot less than a private renter.

Sorry that is exactly what I meant

He has more rights than a private renter for less money, in a location of his choice forever.

That is wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭clytemnestra

• Advertisement

That guy was working in Canada up to 2016. How did he manage to end up in Ireland, skip the social housing queue and end up in a luxury apartment worth €700,000 to €950,000.

Advertisement